LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Rally Media Wake up Call & Email

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rally Media Wake up Call & Email
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched for coverage and couldn't find anything. I'm really disappointed. We need to generate lots of calls to the media to demand better coverage of the Rally & Lyme in general.

I've copied the info below from other posts. Thanks Wild Condor & Break the Chains for finding this info.

Please add to this topic any additional information you have about coverage or lack thereof in the other media outlets. Try to provide an email address or phone number. CT people help us out. Which newspapers & TV stations should we call?

Please send emails NOW and ask your friends & family to do it too. There was plenty of filming going on so they could choose to air more of it.

NBC30Connecticut News.

There is a contact us button on the top right of their home page.

http://www.nbc30.com/news/index.html

``I skimmed the NBC30 Connecticut news last night and it seems like we got 15 seconds. They made the rally seem much smaller than it was by only shooting the signs that were on their own and a few people at a time, never the group, or the speakers..''

Heres what was said on NBC30 Connecticut news:
(Reporter in studio)
"A group of demonstrators turned up at the state capitol today. Their cause was lyme disease"
(woman holding sign at rally - "UNINFORMED Doctors ARE Fueling the Lyme Epidemic!")
"They say the tick borne illness is still misdiagnosed even though its been around for more than 25 years."
(Shot of woman with sign on back on the steps next to the colums Washinton State (list of names i think?). Sign on ground "PLEASE PROTECT MY LME DOCTOR - MY HERO")
(Shot of lyme green sign up against a colum on the ground "HANDS OFF OUR DOCTOR")
"They also object to treatment with short term antibiotics that they say can be ineffective"
(Shot of cute little girl holding a lyme green sign saying "LEAVE MY Lyme Dr ALONE") This was the 6 year old from florida who spoke with the other kids about jones.

http://fox61.trb.com/about/station/?track=wx

NBC 30 had a very brief (so brief I thought they were going to show the full story later) newsclip which was hardly useful.

Another opinion: "It was on Fox..Maybe the other ones that were there also aired it..I do not know.. And it was great. "

Interestingly enough however, I did find an article about a man who is battling MS and planning to ride his bicycle in a 'Tour for the Cure.'

Why nothing in the states largest newspaper about the states biggest health threat? Perhaps they have received so much information about Lyme that it will take a couple days to get a whopper of an article out? I am an optimist and I hope that's the case....

[ 03. June 2006, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: hatsnscarfs ]

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the three CT TV news stations...maybe next time we have a rally, we will start the rally to these stations first, making sure they get their buts there and then report the story...Also, we could do same for newspapers.

WFSB TV3
3 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, Connecticut 06103
Phone: 860/728-3333
Fax: 860/247-8940
email: [email protected]

---------------------------------------------
WTNH-DT/TV
8 Elm St.
New Haven, CT 06510
New Haven Newsroom: (203) 784-8801
Hartford Newsroom: (860) 296-8881
Waterbury Newsroom: (203) 597-1210

If you don't want to call feel free to send an e-mail to [email protected].

--------------------------------------------

Fox 61 WTIC-TV
One Corporate Center
Hartford, CT 06103
Phone: 860-527-6161

[email protected]

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you!!!!! great work! Let's all get on this right away! Email them your stories, AND write a written letter! I dont see why we can't write our own new story, email it to them, let them run it! Do this with all your local stations, we need to wake up the nation!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2DJM
Member # 8245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2DJM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the contact information!

I don't have the energy to make phone calls to the reporters, but I WILL be sending emails out to the television stations next week.

It won't take very long and if we all send a quick message maybe they will realize how many of us are affected.

Posts: 21 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
focusonsurvival
Member # 9124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for focusonsurvival     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sent an email to NBC 30. M
Posts: 55 | From Mamaroneck, New york | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the numbers at the rallies continue to grow, the press will get more interested.

I was part of the national media coverage of AIDS in the 1980s and 1990s. It took awhile for the story to gain traction, but once it did, it caught fire.

Rally organizers in Hartford are to be commended for their efforts, as is everyone who made it there.

I think the most effective strategy is to look forward to another, bigger protest. Someone suggested DC on another thread; that's probably a good idea, but the numbers have to be significant to get media there to pay attention.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point about DC in post-911 times, Opti; I haven't been to any marches in that city since getting really sick.

Philadelphia might be an option. It's tick-central, plus it's within shouting distance of DC, NJ and NY, plus MD and N. Va.

My thought is that the media here could probably go for a much smaller march than it would take in someplace like DC or NY.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a group in the UK called "Fathers for Justice" (I'm sure if you google it you will find info on them).

On many occasions, to get media attention for their cause in a harmless, but effective way, they have done various things like dress up as Batman or Superman and scale the walls of Buckingham Palace....and on another occasion climbed up to the top of Tower Bridge and held a protest there (with banners, of course) for, I think, about 24 hours. LOTS of TV coverage and newspaper coverage.

So, what I am saying is that when a group lacks the numbers to hold a HUGE protest, perhaps doing something outrageous that draws attention and stops traffic, but which is harmless and not hurting anybody or threatening anyone, might be another option......until the numbers grow enough that a 'regular' protest will draw enough media interest on it's own.......along the lines of the aids-blankets one in Wash. DC in the 80s.

A group of neon-Lyme-green ticks storm NBC studios? (obviously you wouldn't get through security, but into the building might draw some attention)......Perhaps not a great idea but you get my drift anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fathers_4_Justice
Edited to add that a few members of Fathers for Justice took it upon themselves to 'act out of line' and therefore the founder disbanded the group several months ago. However, it has now been reformed.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted an idea that everyone hated but I think it could work...

We could have a "tick hike" get people to dress head to toe in white..hike in a well loved area, the collect ticks and send them for analysis after the hike.

This would show how many of the hiker would have been at risk for lyme or co-infections.

Can be done on the same day in many hiking locations nationwide...

It would be a true wake up call.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even walk on my lawn anymore, fat chance I am going for a hike near anywhere green [Wink]
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

I'm not gonna sign up for the tick hike either!

But opti, I liked your idea about the UK group. Again, in the states in the 1980s, ACT UP was one of the most visible AIDS activist groups. And they were known for doing things that were designed to get people's attention.

While people sometimes criticized the group, ACT UP generated a lot of press in its heyday.

Andie

hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if the people on the tick hike get bit?

Maybe it is safer to spray ourselves with Permethrin and then do some drags (white cloth) to count ticks and have them tested. There was an article about doing that in NH & VT last year. They were surprised to find 70 -80% of the ticks infected in some areas.

How about Boston for a Rally. We had a huge turnout for the Special Hearing at the State House last year. We could get people down from NH, VT, MA, & up from CT and everywhere else. If people brought their friends and neighbors we could really get the numbers up.

Some North Shore towns are having horrendous problems. Lyme disease concerns are affecting homesales in Ipswich and several other communities. We could get big participation from the most affected towns.

I propose Spring 07 and could help organize it.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement