LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » excessive libido?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: excessive libido?
caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this is NOT funny. Well, ok, maybe a little funny...

Does anyone else go for a week to 2 1/2 weeks of 24/7 CONSTANT excessive libido? It actually hurts.

I'm getting to the point where I can just sort of smile and pretend nothing is happening but this is way too much of a good thing. I know others have had this problem, is there anything you can take to decrease libido? I've had this off and on for years. I'm now on babesia therapy and it's started back up. Is this related to babesia?

cold showers DON"T work... And no, don't say it- that doesn't work either...

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and please.. please don't tell me how lucky I am to have a libido at all. This is a very different problem.

If anyone has a way to deal with this besides the obvious, or making new friends with the crack heads down the street, or has some humor about themselves- please share.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BABESIOSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Seriously!!!)

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had this problem... I just go with it. Even my guy friends tell me I have a problem, but I don't let it interfere with my life(I don't do anything at work, I've never cheated on a girlfriend...)

Just don't let it interfere with life, in general, and go with it.(Were not talking about more than 3-5 times a day, right?)... I mean if it's EXTREME, they do have medicines.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caat,

I bet my husband wishes I had that issue. I have the opposite...not interested.....at all.

I am currently being treated for babs (again).

I feel as if I had a healthier labido while on doxy.

I don't know if it is the profound fatigue, two small children, stress or Lyme.....or possibly the meds. (Or all of these combined!)

Hope you get some "relief" soon...No pun intended.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's the other thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050834

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
almost all antidepressants, depress libido
some more than others.

some depress to zero.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Kendrick, 3 to 5 times a day would be sort of normal. We're talking, if I was a guy... probley a constant rock hard on- no break no matter what, for maybe 3 days, with the rest of the week a little less intense. And the rest of the month probley just excessive. Hah. "just".

Californialyme... so... babesia?? Uhmmm... If I'm half way through a 4 month therapy and just started artimisinin again and am sweating like a gd*&^%* pig and the libido thing is hitting me like a gd*&^%* train... do you think I need more than 4 months of mepron/artemisinin?

Hmmm.... maybe I've had babesia for a very long time.

Thanks Tutu for the link;
Aggie said on it;

"It's the MOST frustrating thing. I'd imagine it's like being a dog in heat...."
&
"I just tried taking a cold shower. I had to get out because I liked it."

ROTFLMAO. hahaha yep. Thank you Aggi, who ever you are!

Thanks all, I'm not into the antidepressants- too much for me to keep my mind clear as it is... Maybe that HTT whatever or SAMI after the babs therapy... I'm pretty sure that stuff interacts with mepron though. Anyone know of any herbs?

I wish I could just mail some of my libido in a plain brown wrapp to others who could use it, but of course it won't work that way...

caat
Member # 2321

is there a medical name for this? maybe I could google it.
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Testosterone is the hormone responsible for a normal healthy sex-drive in women. Female testosterone levels are lower than in males but, without testosterone, females would have little or no libido and testosterone is also important in maintenance of healthy bones in the female. Testosterone levels are frequently lowered in women who are experiencing lack of libido and testosterone replacement is frequently very effective in the treatment of this problem.

In men testosterone is produced for the most part in the testes. In women testosterone is produced in the adrenal glands but in some women particularly following physical or psychological stress testosterone levels may decline compared with the expected testosterone level expected for a woman of similar age. It is important to check blood levels and also blood levels of the carrier protein so that the proportion of `free' unbound testosterone can be properly assessed. Testosterone replacement which is usually via a colourless odourless gel is frequently very successful in restoring libido.

link

1: Postgrad Med J. 1996 Sep;72(851):554. Links
Excessive libido in a woman with rabies.Dutta JK.
Rabies is endemic in India in both wildlife and humans. Human rabies kills 25,000 to 30,000 persons every year. Several types of sexual manifestations including excessive libido may develop in cases of human rabies. A laboratory proven case of rabies in an Indian woman who manifested excessive libido is presented below. She later developed hydrophobia and died.

PMID: 8949593 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Too much testosterone? virus?

1: J Sex Marital Ther. 2001 Jul-Sep;27(4):365-80. Links
Persistent sexual arousal syndrome: a newly discovered pattern of female sexuality.Leiblum SR, Nathan SG.
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA.

This article describes a phenomenon, persistent sexual arousal syndrome (PSAS), which heretofore has not been noted or described in the sexuality, psychiatric or medical literature. The syndrome is precisely the opposite of female sexual arousal disorder (FSAD), in that the woman's complaint is of excessive and often unremitting arousal rather than of deficient or absent arousal. Five case descriptions are reported, highlighting the essential feature of the syndrome--persistent physiological arousal in the absence of conscious feelings of sexual desire. To date, no obvious hormonal, vascular, neurological, or psychological causes have been identified as underlying the symptoms of any of these patients. The cases are presented in the hope that they will stimulate efforts to investigate the prevalence, etiology, course, and management of PSAS.

PMID: 11441520 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1: Bell C, Richardson D, Goldmeier D, Crowley T, Kocsis A, Hill S. Related Articles, Links
Persistent sexual arousal in a woman with associated cardiac defects and raised atrial natriuretic peptide.
Int J STD AIDS. 2007 Feb;18(2):130-1.
PMID: 17331290 [PubMed - in process]

2: Mahoney S, Zarate C. Related Articles, Links
Persistent sexual arousal syndrome: a case report and review of the literature.
J Sex Marital Ther. 2007 Jan-Feb;33(1):65-71.
PMID: 17162489 [PubMed - in process]

3: Yero SA, McKinney T, Petrides G, Goldstein I, Kellner CH. Related Articles, Links
Successful use of electroconvulsive therapy in 2 cases of persistent sexual arousal syndrome and bipolar disorder.
J ECT. 2006 Dec;22(4):274-5.
PMID: 17143162 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Goldmeier D, Leiblum SR. Related Articles, Links
Persistent genital arousal in women -- a new syndrome entity.
Int J STD AIDS. 2006 Apr;17(4):215-6. Review.
PMID: 16595040 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Leiblum S, Brown C, Wan J, Rawlinson L. Related Articles, Links
Persistent sexual arousal syndrome: a descriptive study.
J Sex Med. 2005 May;2(3):331-7.
PMID: 16422863 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Leiblum SR, Nathan SG. Related Articles, Links
Persistent sexual arousal syndrome: a newly discovered pattern of female sexuality.
J Sex Marital Ther. 2001 Jul-Sep;27(4):365-80.
PMID: 11441520 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
Testosterone replacement which is usually via a colourless odourless gel is frequently very successful in restoring libido.

Works for me!

[maybe this means your adrenals are in overdrive, caat??]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 24. February 2008, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by OptiMisTick:
I wonder if its a coincidence that the article posted above about excessive ETC from UMDNJ is in an area of HIGH TICK/Lyme disease problems.

Probably not! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

caat
Member # 2321

>>>A laboratory proven case of rabies in an Indian woman who manifested excessive libido is presented below. She later developed hydrophobia and died.

Man, that must have been SCAREY. SCAREY SCAREY SCAREY. Well... that can't be me. I like cold showers too much, LOL.

>>>This article describes a phenomenon, persistent sexual arousal syndrome (PSAS), which heretofore has not been noted or described in the sexuality, psychiatric or medical literature.

THANKS Treepatrol! That's what I'm looking for. & 2001! there's probley more on that now.

I'm begining to think it's probley hormone related as I don't have rabies or seizures... At least, lol, not that I know of. & it's sort of cyclic. I sure hope it's not nuerological...

caat
Member # 2321

hey, cool, there's a support group for this;
http://members.tripod.com/jeannie_allen/id36.htm
read down on the page and there's a link to the support stuff.

I'm going to cross post this on the other thread so "Aggi" gets it too.

Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a severe excessive libidio for many years.... and I mean excessive! It didn't matter what I looked at I saw sex. I felt like an 18 year old boy.

I asked my LLMD about this (over the phone, cause I couldn't do it in person) and all he told was, what a lucky husband I had (I think he was joking) But my husband had the opposite problem. So I wasn't getting lucky at all. (excuss the pun) [Big Grin]

But it has calmed down a little when the homeopath I see gave me some hormone cream. (At least I don't think about sex 24/7 any more its more like 23/7) [lol]

And my husbands problem did get a little better recently after he had a chelation of EDTA, well I noticed a difference. And it is supposed to help in that area for men. But we are far from being on an equal basis in that department. [Roll Eyes] It is very frustrating!

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi caat,

was searching for herb supplements and i found this

Are you taking cilantro or coriander,cloves or cinnamon - I was and noticed that it affected me -more libido

Siberian Ginseng and Sarsaparilla will spark a sagging sex drive for both men and women.

and some people use
Skullcap to subdue an excessive sex drive, especially combined with Pennyroyal and Crampbark and/or with Hops.

More lyme problems
- too much at the wrong time

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

not taking any of those herbs. This is something that's been happening off and on for about 12 years.

>>But it has calmed down a little when the homeopath I see gave me some hormone cream. (At least I don't think about sex 24/7 any more its more like 23/7)

Lisi, what hormones were in the cream? I'm thinking of trying estriol. They say you should always take it with progestrone but I'm thinking I might not need progestrone.

Can you get estriol over the counter or does anyone know of a good online pharmacy I can get it w/out an rx? I pay cash $$ for my doc appts and won't be seeing him for a while. I am absolutely sure I could use it but will spare people the details...

Hey, Lisi at least you get lucky sometimes... I'm single and not feeling well enough to go out much right now. Maybe you should leave korean ginseng candy all over the house for him... At $1.35 a box it's got to be the cheapest hormone therapy there is. You can probley find it online or in an Asian neighborhood grocery.

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, don't really have any advice for ya. It's a catch 22. Even if you were married, or had a steady, you still probably wouldn't be able to do much about the urges because of the strength/stamina thingy. So maybe having the thoughts are the best thing after all, cuz that way nothing gets in the way of "A Good Thought." [Smile]

Your problem reminds me of the Lucy & Desi show. You know, where he says, "Hey Horny I'm Home"

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 6 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talks cheap. Names and addresses please ! [Big Grin]

My advice ?

Continue with the cold showers but create a mental picture of Dick Cheney in a European thong bikini while doing it. [lol]

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micul said:

"Hey Horny I'm Home"

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My homeo gave me progesterone 10% cream. It has helped, (I think) I would have no idea what it would be like not to have a sex drive or if mine is "normal" or not. I know my husband can't stand it sometimes.

I also take N-10 Pituitary Plus (10 drops under tongue daily) its has to do with the thyroid hormone out of whack. From what I read it has to do with "Abnormal thyroid, sexual, adrenal and growth."

So we'll see if my sex drive calms down a little bit.

And NP40.... Thoughts of Dick Cheney in a bikini doesn't deter me at all.... I got as far as his first name [Wink] Then thoughts just go from there [lol]

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Gawd, I feel like I came out of some new kind of closet..

NP40 Eeeeeewwww!!! creepy, creepy.

>>>I also take N-10 Pituitary Plus (10 drops under tongue daily) its has to do with the thyroid hormone out of whack. From what I read it has to do with "Abnormal thyroid, sexual, adrenal and growth."

Lisianthus... It will either work or you will be VERY AFRAID to go to the grocery store. LOL. Your husband might be very afraid too.

caat
Member # 2321

BABESIA !!!

Yep, could be babesia.

This is basically a female version of priapism. Check it out everybody. Those of you with babesia.. YOU"RE NEXT!! hahahahah.

priapism;
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic486.htm

causes include infections, including malaria.

catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that problem when I'm actually alert and awake. When I'm really tired I often have no drive (sexual or regular).

I always kind of attributed it towards my ADHD, and the urge for stimulation and thirst of dopamine.

Yes, it can be quite annoying, having such a loss of control over one's self (inhibitions-physical,mental).

I dunno to be honest just figured I'd chip in my 2 cents.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement