LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Supplements - To take or not to take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Supplements - To take or not to take?
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines and have read up on this site about all the supplements he suggests.

I'm wondering, though, should I begin taking any before checking with my LLMD? I started abx 3 weeks ago and I go back to the LLMD next week.

Only supplement I've been taking is Acidophilus, which hasn't helped all that much because my stomach has still been all tore up.

I'd love to do something for the tingling and burning and even the twitching(spasms?) and most especially the fatigue and feeling of heaviness.

Should I wait and check with my doc?

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would wait and talk to LLMD, yes.

SOme people take SO many supplements!!!

My angel LLMD used to just shake his head-
he felt it sometimes interfered with healing
if oyu overload the body-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But taking prophylactic care
of the gut is important!*)!*)!!
Taking care to be anti-yeast
BEFORE you get a problem can keep
a problem away*)!* )!!!!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Sarah. I've been a bit confused about the anti-yeast thing.

Is the use of a probiotic the only way to accomplish being anti yeast, i.e. the use of acidophilus?

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Locally many of us started using the pretty much same regime which was developed by a Lyme doc in Sonoma named Doc P!!! He was very into gut health and he recd'ed the following which since we had some of his people locally many ended up on- and ever since have recd'ed on-

SOlaray Yeast Cleanse- but any will do, brand not important- caprylic acid formula-

Acidophilus by Jarrowdophilus- again, any brand will do, just make sure equivalent thing

Saccharomyces Boulardii- again, any brand

the last is a friendly yeast that eats candida (unfriendly yeast) and which also eats c.difficile

C Difficile is an antibiotic related diarhhea which can kill you. Earlier Aids patients, bless them, discovered that Sacc Boulardii works for some 60-70% of abx related diarhhea-

But EVRYTHING in the body is a balance- you don't want to overdo anything- Sacc Boulardii if OVER used can become a systemic infection ITSELF!
so don't ever think because something is a supplement that it can't hurt you- because it can!!!!!!!!! Moderation*)!!

SO taking Sacc B once a week is good-
same for yeast cleanse- some people daily-
and acidophilus daily-

As far as other supplements I have avoided them entirely and so have many people I know who have done great- some people like them though- and some people do need them- people vary-

Take care!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Yes, that old adage "everything in moderation" is a good one to live by.

I will try the things you listed, especially the Sacc B because at this point everything is going through me and I'm worried I'm not getting enough nutrients in my body.

Thanks again!
Jennifer

--------------------
Jennifer

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

You're welcome Jenn*)!*)!!

Cavey, nope never went to him but he came and drove hours to Santa Cruz years back to give us an excellent lecture and slideshow (and included a coouple of photos of him & his wife in Italy if I remember righT*)! He is/WAS an AWESOME lyme doc!!!! GREAT human being- WISH he was taking people-!!!!!!!!!!!! He's another angel*)!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Your doc P sounds like a wonderful person.

Cavey, I have not gotten the H. pylori test, I don't even know what that is so I'll have to do some research.

I see my LLMD next week so I'll ask him about that.

My mother has been on my case about taking Magnesium for a while now, so I'm gonna pick some up today. And yes, I'll continue with the Acidophilus.

Like the way I've picked up on writing in short sentences with spaces in between?! [Wink]

--------------------
Jennifer

pmerv
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spring special integrative medicine issue of the Lyme Times had articles on probiotics, drug-supplement interactions, medication-induced nutritional deficiencies, etc. To get a copy, contact Marisa Battilana or call 415-499-3172 (west coast time zone).

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cave76:
There are also many good sites on the Internet that will list drug/supplement/herb interactions.

But stay away from sites that also sell them, obviously. [Smile] Or sites filled with testimonials.

HUH?? I buy most of my supplements from Vitacost. They are 40-60% cheaper than my local health food store....same products.

The best probiotic I've ever taken is from Theralac. It is sold ONLY on the internet. Why should someone NOT purchase from companies such as these?????????????????

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny, are you taking your abx with food??? Make sure to do this!!

And as cave mentioned, take the HIGH QUALITY acidophilus two hours away from any abx.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Tutu, I take Nature's Bounty brand, I get it at CVS. Actually all Nature's Bounty is on sale this week at CVS,buy one get one free, so I stocked up.

Is this a good brand?

And yes, I do take my abx with food. Maybe it's my diet.

--------------------
Jennifer

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement