LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Something to look into, Lyme and Clinton HealthCare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something to look into, Lyme and Clinton HealthCare
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, because of the Lyme situation, and our government's lack of concern I worry about any sort of changes that would be made to our healthcare system. New changes bring whole new problems.

I recently was looking up infromation on The Clinton HealthCare program and came accross a very interesting article that points out some issues with the original plan (the plan has not changed since then, only funding plans have changed).

I think as Lymies, we all need to be concerned about any changes made to our system. We need change, but we as Lymies must not be forgotten about when these changes happen. We need to MAKE SURE we can still get treatment under any new system.

PLEASE read this article! It gives a good description of the Clinton Healthcare plan, and an Idea of how it works. This is Very Important because their are some serious flaws in the prroposed system. Besides the fact that our govt would never spend money to treat us with a protocal the govt does not feel works...

We need to stand up for our rights, and the rights of every lymie that has yet to exist (because we all know this is not going away anytime soon).

This is the website at which the article is located:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/HealthCare/tp00.cfm

Thank you for your time. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting link.

are you able to copy/paste it here and break up her LONG PARAAPHS????

I GO TOMORROW NIGHT 7:45 PM LOCALLY TO SEE HER//

THANK TO ANYONE FOR POING HIS EDITORIAL!!!! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First -Look at the date on this article:

November 19, 1993
A Guide to the Clinton Health Plan
by Robert E. Moffit, Ph.D.
Backgrounder

This article is about the Health Plan in the first Bill Clinton administration which did not pass in the House or Senate.

It is not about any current health plan that might be put before congress in the future.

AND
The Heritage Foundation is a Republican, conservative think tank and will be out to discredit Senator Clinton, no matter what she does.

Second: Senator Clinton is one of the first senators who signed on as a co-sponsor for the Lyme Bill (which is non-partisan, as it should be)

She understands about Lyme disease and lives part of the time in the middle of one of the most endemic areas for Lyme disease in the world.

Third: People should take a look at all the health plans put forward by all the candidates for President and make their own judgements.

Fourth: Be careful whose word and whose analysis you accept as accurate on these matters - and check the date!

There will be articles like this constantly over the months until the election.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no,thats exactly what i was saying. Its good to just take a look and see what other problems are with that major system of healthcare.

It is the original one, but still her plan is basically the same plan with some minor changes. Its good to look at problems that different people see with the system, that way we can be prepared.

personally, I feel the basic setup of the plan is not good for anyone, let alone anyone who would have to travel to see a doctor who can treat them, like in most lyme cases.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from Senator Clinton's health plan and is available at
www.hillaryclinton.com/news/release/view/?id=3321

Ann - OH

[quote]
Specifically, her American Health Choices Plan will:

1. Offer New Coverage Choices for the Insured and Uninsured: The American Health Choices Plan gives Americans the choice to preserve their existing coverage, while offering new choices to those with insurance, to the 47 million people in the United States without insurance, and the tens of millions more at risk of losing coverage.

The Same Choice of Health Plan Options that Members of Congress Receive: Americans can keep their existing coverage or access the same menu of quality private insurance options that their Members of Congress receive through a new Health Choices Menu, established without any new bureaucracy as part of the Federal Employee Health Benefit Program (FEHBP).

In addition to the broad array of private options that Americans can choose from, they will be offered the choice of a public plan option similar to Medicare.

A Guarantee of Quality Coverage: The new array of choices offered in the Menu will provide benefits at least as good as the typical plan offered to Members of Congress, which includes mental health parity and usually dental coverage.

2. Lower Premiums and Increase Security: Americans who are satisfied with the coverage they have today can keep it, while benefiting from lower premiums and higher quality.

Reducing Costs: By removing hidden taxes, stressing prevention and a focus on efficiency and modernization, the plan will improve quality and lower costs.

Strengthening Security: The plan ensures that job loss or family illnesses will never lead to a loss of coverage or exorbitant costs.

End to Unfair Health Insurance Discrimination: By creating a level-playing field of insurance rules across states and markets, the plan ensures that no American is denied coverage, refused renewal, unfairly priced out of the market, or forced to pay excessive insurance company premiums.

3. Promote Shared Responsibility: Relying on consumers or the government alone to fix the system has unintended consequences, like scaled-back coverage or limited choices.

This plan ensures that all who benefit from the system share in the responsibility to fix its shortcomings.

Insurance and Drug Companies: insurance companies will end discrimination based on pre-existing conditions or expectations of illness and ensure high value for every premium dollar; while drug companies will offer fair prices and accurate information.

Individuals: will be responsible for getting and keeping insurance in a system where insurance is affordable and accessible.

Providers: will work collaboratively with patients and businesses to deliver high-quality, affordable care.

Employers: will help finance the system; large employers will be expected to provide health insurance or contribute to the cost of coverage; small businesses will receive a tax credit to continue or begin to offer coverage.
Government: will ensure that health insurance is always affordable and never a crushing burden on any family and will implement reforms to improve quality and lower cost.

4.Ensure Affordable Health Coverage for All: Senator Clinton's plan will:

Provide Tax Relief to Ensure Affordability: Working families will receive a refundable tax credit to help them afford high-quality health coverage.

Limit Premium Payments to a Percentage of Income: The refundable tax credit will be designed to prevent premiums from exceeding a percentage of family income, while maintaining consumer price consciousness in choosing health plans.

Create a New Small Business Tax Credit: To make it easier -not harder - for small businesses to create new jobs with health coverage, a new health care tax credit for small businesses will provide an incentive for job-based coverage.
Strengthen Medicaid and SCHIP: The Plan will fix the holes in the safety net to ensure that the most vulnerable populations receive affordable, quality care.

Launch a Retiree Health Legacy Initiative: A new tax credit for qualifying private and public retiree health plans will offset a significant portion of catastrophic expenditures, so long as savings are dedicated to workers and competitiveness.

5. A Fiscally Responsible Plan that Honors our Priorities:

Most Savings Come Through Lowering Spending Due to Quality and Modernization: Over half the savings come from the public savings generated from Hillary Clinton's broader agenda to modernize the heath systems and reduce wasteful health spending.

A Net Tax Cut for American Taxpayers:

The plan offers tens of millions of Americans a new tax credit to make premiums affordable--which more than offsets the increased revenues from the Plan's provisions to limit the employer tax exclusion for healthcare and discontinue portions of the Bush tax cuts for those making over $250,000. Thus, the plan provides a net tax cut for American taxpayers.

Making the Employer Tax Exclusion for Healthcare Fairer:

The plan protects the current exclusion from taxes of employer-provided health premiums, but limits the exclusion for the high-end portion of very generous plans for those making over $250,000. [end quote]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Ann-OH for posting this!!! This is good.

We really all need to be looking into this to make sure this will not hurt us or anyone else who gets lyme in the future.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hillary was in town tonight and spoke to a group of 1500 PLUS!

SHE ANNOUNCED THIS THURSDAY, OCT. 11, SHE WILL RELEASE HER COMREHENSIVE PLAN ON HOW TO PAY FOR HEALTH CARE PLAN POSTED ABOVE!!

so keep reading her site or noewspaper or radio!
--------------------------------------
[Big Grin] [Wink] [hi]

Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a supporter of Senator Clinton or her health plan.

But, her plan is not her plan from the 90's. Her plan is based on the Massachusetts reform plan that was signed by Governor Romney. Which, for political reasons, Romney is now distancing himself from.

Unfortunately, this plan and all the candidates' plans are focusing on getting people insurance. We need health care, not health insurance. I would prefer health reform that really reforms the system and lowers the amount of money we give to insurance company executives.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

i dont know, I personally do not want anything from the government. I REALLY do not want healthcare from them.

I feel we would really get hurt if our govt decided to give us healthcare. I do not have time right now to go into it, maybe later.

I do find it weird they are focusing so much on giving us insurance. They need to tell us these things and explain what is going on when planning this stuff, the thought prossess, you know?

I just want to bring up this topic (healthcare, health coverage) to keep people reminded to stay on top of this issue. It is important for us because we are so sick and prone to so many different kinds of problems, not to mention the fact we have such a hard time getting healthcare as it is. but now I am just stating the obvious.

I hope everyone is doing well!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 11 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
correction ... hilary will talk thurs. abouit COLLEGE FUNDING; not health insurance as stated above ...
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

I heard a talk by Hillary Clinton on C-Span the other evening. Her health care plan says that if you are satisfied with the coverage you have, you don't have to do anything.

She isn't saying that the government should take over the health care of everybody, she is just trying to let people who can't afford health care have a chance to choose an affordable plan that gives them the same health care that all the US government employees, including Congress, (and including me) have now.

Those qualified as "the poor" (who are mostly underpaid) already qualify for medicaid.

It is people who work hard, can't get by if they have to shell out lots of money for healthcare, and live from week to week, or month to month, who need a break.

Small businesses need help, too, and insurance companies have to be kept in line.

I think a comprehensive explanation of her health plan is on her website now.

Ann - OH

[ 14. October 2007, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Ann-OH ]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ann-OH.

This is what I am SO hoping for.

I cannot get insurance, though I have applied over and over to several insurers.

Because of a history of lyme disease and "MS" (which happens to be a misdiagnosis, but try telling that to an insurance company), no one will insure me.

There is some kind of state-run high risk pool in California but the premium is approximately the amount of my house payment.

For a single mother scraping by from wedding to wedding (I am a wedding photographer), I have no choice but to wait and hope.

Increasingly, insurers enjoy denying people for EVERYTHING. In fact, another reason I was denied was 'migraines.' They will deny you if you've ever been on an anti-depressant. I imagine they will deny you if you've ever had a runny nose. About the only way to be accepted by an insurance company is (a) if you've NEVER been to a doctor; or (b) through an employer, where they literally have no choice.

I do find it intriguing that insurance companies get to have it both ways:

(a) "Your lyme is cured in 30 days so that's all we'll authorize."

(b) "What? You've had lyme? We won't be able to ever insure you!"

Now, if you're all cured in 30 days, why would they be so worried about covering you? Hmmm.

But let me tell you how I REALLY feel about insurance companies.

[cussing]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement