LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Babesia Buddies (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Babesia Buddies
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I (believe) with mepron that anything more than 750mg twice a day,

Is actually wasted. My neighbor, a RN, said your body couldn't absorb more.

So basically more would be a waste.

I am pretty sure my balance issues are babesia.

It could be that I am hitting a babesia/Lyme herx that just so happens to coincide

With my 3 weeks on and one week off of mepron.

My energy levels which were good last week....are gone. [shake]

My POTs also seems to increase the week off of mepron. [dizzy]

I am going to make a phone consult appt. with my LLMD for next week.

I am glad that I waited for at least two cycles of mepron and documented symptoms

So that I can discuss this with my LLMD.

Never thought I'd say it, but yeah!!! Back on mepron tomorrow.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trish4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trish4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Geneal, yeah I did some more research myself (my computer is my lifesaver right now, as all this medicine Im on has basically confined me to my bed so all I do is research stuff all day lol), and 2 tsps twice a day is the max amount to take.

It is my 4th day on Mepron, and I did develop the air hunger feeling, which Ive not had in quite awhile, so I guess its hitting something. However, no night sweats. I have only had 3 days of mild night sweats about a year after being bitten. I thought the mepron might bring out the night sweats but it hasnt.

Also Im gonna do a 1-2 day break from abx to confirm that it IS the medicine making me so ill and not my own body. Do you guys think this is a really bad idea? I know its not the best thing to do, but could it really be that bad in my treatment process.

Posts: 370 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for Babesia patients:

Hi Friends,

I just recently saw a well-respected ILADS LLMD who actually was very agressive with my Lyme 6-years ago and it was a successful treatment;IVRocephin for 8 mos and orals for a year.

I've been treated for Bart for the last 5 months and, miraculously, I've been told by TWO LLMD's that, based on my 2nd Fry lab being cleared and lack of clinical symptoms that I can stop the Bart treatment.

They both feel it's "in remission" or "killed", whatever the correct verbiage is for these ambiguous TBD's.

Here's the quandary:

My Igenex Babesia FISH test came back as a very low positive for Babesia Duncani. My LLMD is referring to it as "being exposed" and because I have no Babs-specific symptoms, he thinks we should hold off on treating it after I've had such toxicity from the: Rifampin/Zithro/Cholestyramine combo for 5 mos for Bart.

I do not have any typical Babesia symptoms: lethargy, malaise, joint/foot pain, headaches, insomnia or nightsweats.

I'm normally a very pro-active, "face-the-music" kind of person so I'm feeling conflicted. I know if I insist on treating the Babs, he would give me the rx's.

My current plan is to wait a month or so, do some major cleansing/detoxing, probiotics, get back into exercising, build up the immune system and then make the decision to treat or not to treat.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions and please do not be afraid to be honest. I respect your experiences and opinions.

Gratefully as always!!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up. Hoping for some experienced Babs patients input on my post above.

(Trish: Thanks for your input in medical section)

Gratefully,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think taking a month off isn't a bad idea.

Maybe try the babs meds and see if you herx?

I would rather treat and be sure than miss something that would really hold me back.

Even despite the fact I am really, really tired of taking all of my meds. [dizzy]

Just my humble opinion of course. [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Thanks, Geneal. It is kind of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think it's "mandatory" that I give my body a rest after the agressive Bart treatment, anyway, so a month to 6 weeks will be a good amount of time to do some cleaning up candida-wise and biotoxin-wise (and, of course, I have that wretched biotoxin gene so bring on the cholestyramine!)

Then, yes, it might be a good idea to try out meds specific for Babs and see what happens.

I'll cross that bridge by late May. I'm definitely not one of those kind of people who can "picture" something festering in my body like a ticking time bomb.

I'm more like the kind of person who'd become psychosomatic knowing it was in there! [bonk]

Gratefully,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after four months of babs treatemnet the LLMD pulled me off and I am now treating Bart. I hope it does not come back [Smile]
Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been treated for Babs for 5 years now, and have never gone into remission. I have seen 5 different llmd in my travels and tried every combo there is.

I recently was given the book on babesia and have been reading it.

I will post what I have learned and how it pertains to my experience with babs when I finish the book. It is amazing what I have learned.

Babs is hell. If you have a slightly positive test but are not symptomatic, don't sit around and wait for symptoms.

Treat it!

I haven't read the massive posts in this thread yet. I'm dying to get to it, but the ones I have read, I have a response for. There is so much to say. Where to begin.

Take care all of you and I'm sorry you are in this boat as well.

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this up! Any new babesia buddies?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm a babs buddy. I've been a babs buddy for a long time but didn't know it!

I am herxing a lot with a protocol that I've designed for myself based on the Babesia book. My LLMD knows what I'm doing and is providing the mepron/zithromax.

I've discovered with these die-off reactions that many of the symptoms I attributed to Lyme were actually babesiosis.

I was treated for babs in 2004 for 4 months and thought I was rid of it. Then this past summer I kept falling down suddenly. My legs were getting weaker and I kept spacing out, too.

I am taking artemesinin 400 mg daily and plan to keep ramping it up each time I plateau. I've already plateaued at 300 mg.

I've had terrible leg/foot pain, chest pain, headache, and weakness since I started artemesinin with the mepron/zith. I am forging ahead despite my discomfort because I'd like to be at a much better place by summer.

I'm responsible for the care of my two younger sons when they get out of school and I don't want to feel horrible and be bedridden during summer vacation.

Best wishes to everyone on their freedom-from-babesia journey!

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymelady, I'm now officially a buddy too....I started a few days ago with a tincture called ABAB and will likely add Mepron and co very soon. How's it going?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD, I am so, so sick today that I've decided to back off of the artemesinin. In fact, I feel so bad that at one point I considered going to the hospital. Then I remembered that they'd do nothing for me, so why bother?

I feel so ill that I wonder if I'm dying. Well, like so many of us on this board, that's how I'm feeling. I'm very tired now. I feel depressed.

Bye for now.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmj
Member # 18400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I join you? I am on day 9 of azithromycin and mepron - tested +Ve for Babs,
Last night, I got a fever from nowhere of 102. It crept up as high as 104 last night but is now starting to come down. I don't know if I am herxing or if I have flu. I have muscle pain and twitching, stiinging sensation on my skin, very red face, fever, chills - but I also have terrible sinus pain, headache and congestion. So I am wondering if this is herx or if I have just gotten a flu/cold virus.
I also read that herx with babs starts in 3rd wk so wouldnt this be way too early for a herx reaction?
Posted in the support section and got a pm suggesting I contact my llmd. What do you guys think. Am I hoping for too much that this is herx. Do I just have flu?

Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

The more the merrier! Yay!
Sounds like it could be a herx....I know a lot of people say they herxed 3-4 days in and then again around day 10, and then 3 weeks in....so youre right on schedule!

As for me....I had a crying meltdown in Target, it was purely chemical, SO bizarre, then I was fine!
I didn't know twitching was part of babesia. I have that too!

Deep in 'tis pear
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deep in 'tis pear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with you trish4. Mepron is actually sort of interesting tasting... Plus, who cares about the taste, if it is going to cure you.
Posts: 123 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement