LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Hiker's/Walker's Club March 2-8, 2008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hiker's/Walker's Club March 2-8, 2008
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recap of week 18

Andie.......6 miles plus and working full time too

Lou.......1.5 miles I think. Yes? No?

LymeToo......still in the move mode?

Cathy......waiting for report from trip

KAM and Rosie......I think 6 out of 7 days averaging 20 min each time and 6 exercises at water therapy for 2 min each.

Able to get out doors in power chair for about an hour too. Good to be out of house.

Able to do 2 loads of laundry too...more difficult for me than walking...multi tasking and movement..sheesh. Still need to fold and put away laundry.

Rocky & Akinwolf......walks dog about 5 days a week when able. Walked a mile this week at one time. Cool.

[ 02. March 2008, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunday....walked part of the golf course. Rosie loved it. She loves to run in open grassy areas.

Will go back again and time it. Not sure how far but by judging my body it was 20 min.

Have tried the golf course before but haven't been able to go out on it due to golfers. It was clear this am.

Lots of fresh Elk Droppings. I have driven down there in the am hoping to see the Elk but have yet to see them.

I think I need to get there before sunrise..which is catch 22..how am I going to see them in the dark?

Also lots of goose droppings. Got to see the geese this am. Thought the Canadian Geese had left but I was wrong.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning everyone! Off to a good start this week. So glad to be back with the walkers!!

Worked an 11 hour shift yesterday . . . on my feet the whole time. I was sore this morning, but I managed 1.25 miles. I actually felt better after the walk, which is a good sign.

Hope you are all doing well.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Good Morning Lou. I recall those 11 hr days. It seemed they don't work well in long term.

We were working 12 hour days plus an hour each way travel time 7 days a week.

Productivity went lower than a 40 hour a week after a while.

And the government took out so much in taxes I would go in the negative on the weekend with child care costs.

But, I had no choice. The utility company wanted us there. The union stepped in and things are much better now I hear.

Monday....cruised in power chair to water therapy. 45 min one way outdoors. Very cold. Heard with wind factor it was 8 degrees out.

Broke a record at water therapy. Did almost 2 sets of 6 exercises of 2 min. each.

Floated in between sets and did 2 laps each of the crawl, sidestroke and breast stroke (note: small pool...means about 3 strokes of each one way..but brain usually can't handle that so it was a good thing.

Also added the one where I hang on bar and just kick. That was is the toughest for me right now but it is a new one. Time wise it is the toughest. I am doing well to last 2 min.

Back home via power chair. Less wind factor. Not as cold. Able to take sidewalk on busy streets there and back.

That is the biggee here. Usually not able to do that as the movement and noise of traffic shuts my body down. I usually take side streets but traffic is sometimes a problem at that hour so didn't want to chance being in the street.

Wore ear muffs on way over but did not need them on way back. So glad the noise did not shut body down.

All went well.

Took reclining power chair and reclined on trip.

Almost what I call a Rocky Balboa moment until the therapist came in and I tried to talk to him to give him a report. Found out I was more exhausted than I thought. Not able to talk and do exercises or even stand in pool and talk to him.

That pretty much ended my exercise session.

Also was able to take a shower afterwards at water therapy which is a rarity too. Usually just have enough strength, stamina to get dressed and leave.

Good MOrning. Nice to be outdoors. Heard the birds again.

Also slept teh past two nights. Another record breaker.

OOPs I think I left my suit at the physical therapy place.

kam
Member # 3410

Monday....10 min est in forest.

Don't know if it was because I walked to the car instead of using the power chair to get my down the hall, or the guy I met on the trail who I tried to have a short conversation with...but it was tough going from the first step.

Going to avoid talking to people if at all possible. I'd rather be walking. Seems like I need to do one or the other..can't do both.

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, all!

I love reading about everyone's walks and ventures. Lou, it looks like I'm heading into some (uncharacteristically) long work days this week. I've got a big project due and need to get as much finished as I can before going to FL to be with my family.

kam, swimming, golf course and traffic. You really do get around...and I really think it's great!

No walking for me on Sunday.
For Monday, 1 mile.

High stress time...and that's not always my best thing. Trying to remember to breathe.

Sigh.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for asking, kam. I feel like such a loser!!

The weather was great for walking last week, but I was soooo busy.

We're supposed to get a foot of snow tonight, so I guess I won't be walking anytime soon!

Y'all keep on keepin' on. I promise to join in soon!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

LymeToo....moving set me back several months so take care of you.

Andie and Lou....keep breathing. [Smile] Let us know what you do for yourself that is fun..even if it is just a flash of it.

Found myself laughing once last week while out walking with Rosie and again yesterday.

Kind of surprised myself as I couldn't recall when I had heard myself laugh in a long time...

Well I do recall when I first came down with this and a friend and I had gone to see an ID at a medical center.

He said he could only give me sympathy. Would not show me how to give myself the bicillin injections my lyme doc had ordered. Did not agree with lyme dx.

We headed up to the mountains.

Pulled along side of road for some reason. Had a round, red Gouda cheese in the car.

It fell out while getting back in car.

We both looked for it but couldn't find it.

Continued down the mountain on a windy road and to our surprise there was the Gouda cheese along side of the road quite a distance from where it started.

It had rolled on down the road on its own.

That was a good one.

kam
Member # 3410

Tuesday....walked down the hall to the car and back instead of using power chair. Walked the perimeter of the dog park.

Also able to throw a few tennis balls while walking with Rosie. Very unusual for my brain to be able to multi task and move like that.

A guy at the dog park said it was a mile and a half with 6 laps around the dog park. Don't have a clue what it was for one trip around.

slept again last night wtih help of several things. But woke with head stuff. Excedrin helped.

3 nights in a row of getting sleep. NICE

lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam -- That was a Gouda story!!

And it sounds like you are doing well!! I am so very happy for you!! I think the water therapy is really going to help you.

Andie -- sorry about the long work days. I am working a double today, but I am taking this weekend off -- completely. I'm not going to work for one second, except to clean my house . . . which has sadly been neglected.

TuTu -- You could NEVER be a loser. Not even if you tried.

Achin' Wolf & Rocky -- Care to join us on our walk?

And Just Don -- is all OK in your world?

OK -- the part of my week that I most look forward to is my meditation and development class on Monday night. It is 2 hours of pure bliss. I have learned so much in that class that has helped me with my lyme symptoms and healing.

I walked 2 miles this morning. Good week so far!!

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Lou...I am so glad you have your meditation class to enjoy. [Smile]

Right now, walking, being able to be outdoors in the power chair and taking the xango are usually my uplifting moments and a good nutritional tasty meal and a successful water therapy session.

Tuesday, yesterday, I think. No walking. Worked on picking up a little for apartment inspection on Friday.

Able to vacuum if I did a little, rest and then did a little more. Takes much more out of me than walking.

Also able to put silverware and glasses away I washed two days ago. Again if I did a little, rest and then did a little more.

NOticed my sorting skills are coming back...able to sort forks, spoons, etc. Brain still struggles but doing much better.

Hoping to be able to put laundry away that I did Friday next and fill out paper work to renew apartment for another year.

So not sure if I will be walking in the forest today or not. Can't seem to do both usually.

lou4656
Member # 10300

Kam, I think you are doing enough just getting the apartment ready for inspection. There is a lot to do!!

I am reading the list of all the things that you have done in the past week. WOW! I really think you are beginning to heal. Can you feel that?

Hope everyone else is fine. I worked a double yesterday . . . got home at 1 a.m. and back to work by 9:00 this morning. I am very tired, so I have decided to take today off as a recovery day. I'll be back walking tomorrow morning.

--------------------
LouLou

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, lou! [Smile]

Kam...maybe you're getting better because your body is now getting REST!!!!

That could make a HUGE difference for you! Of course, the Xango could still be giving you improvements even now.

Sometimes it takes 6 months for it to really start knocking out the bad stuff and helping our bodies heal.

OK...the weather looks great today! Maybe I can do some walking. I do have a doctor's appointment this afternoon....but maybe there will still be time.

Keep on truckin' guys! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Wednesday...moving was just about impossible this am. If it were not for Rosie I would have stayed in bed.

Called the senior van and they picked me up in my power chair for the morning outing.

I did get exercise though. As I took a jeep trail near the regular trail I take.

I was doing OK until I hit a incline. Tried getting out and walking along side the power chair to make it up the hill.

That did not work. Got stuck in the ruts on the dirt road...it was 4 wheel territory at this point.

Luckily, it all worked out and I was able to finally get the chair unstuck and turn around and walk it down the hill....I say hill but it was more of a steep incline for a short distance.

Thought I would try my trail. Yep the brain was not working well this am.

Got stuck in the creek crossing in the power chair.

The power chair is so heavy it sunk deeper into the water than the depth of the water.

Saw an older lady nearby and asked for her help.

Found some wood, she put wood under wheels while I stood in the creek and tipped one end of the chair and then the other.

Mission Accomplished with me panting the whole time.

Power chair went down the incline to the creek without a problem.

But, going back up the incline was a different story.

so, got back out of chair and walked it up the incline.

I had been on this trail before but wondering if I had used the other chair. it has more power and less weight I think.

Suprised I was able to talk with the lady who helped and also with a man who stopped and wanted to talk to me about my dog further down the road.

It is getting warm enough the squirrels are starting to be out again. Rosie saw one down the road and took off running. Boy can she run fast.

Not sure what happened but she was only out of sight for a a couple of minutes before she was back checking on me.

I thought for sure I would have to go after her as she would be at the bottom of some tree watching the squirrel up the tree.

Both said they would like to be my hiking buddies.

I think the lady just might work out.

It seems to take a certain nature for me to be OK having someone with me.

So far the people who have gone with me took more out of me and it just didn't work out.

this lady said she liked this trail because of the boulders and the pines. That is why I like it too.

She also is a senior citizen so moves slowly...that works for me.

She told me to watch for the boulder on the left side of the trail to the left because it looks like a face.

I don't go on that trail unless I am having one of my stronger moments because it is uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill, etc.

I told her about a boulder on that trail on the right side of the trail that is great for laying back and enjoying the sun.

A kin spirit. We both have rocks in our head.

Left house at 11:30 am...took 5 or 10 min in senior van to get to trailhead....back home via power chair at 2 pm. so, that was quite an outing .

Brain wasnt' workign well enough to fix breakfast or lunch today. So, I needed to escape...I escaped in the power chair.

Most likely that will be all I am able to do today.

Body is in pain again....it does that when I move it about like that.

had to rest a few times while trying to get the power chair up the incline as the brain stopped talking to the legs.

Recovered quickly though.

Don't have to push power chair. I use the motor. But, do need to guide it with joy stick while walking along side of it.

So, glad I am not wheel chair bound and can get out and be on my feet if needed.

The guy asked me what would happen if I was out and my brain and body did shut down on me.

I haven't had to do this in a long time because I am staying within my limits and Rosie helps clue me in when the brain and body are in the danger zone.

But, before Rosie, I would lay down where ever I was and wait until the strength came back or stamina and go a little bit further.

So, Now, I have a power chair I can recline in to wait things out if needed.

The older lady has a new car. She said she did not want to take it on dirt roads yet, but she does want to go to another trail head we talked about.

Told her I wanted someone to go with me because I went there and I saw the sign for the trail head but it pointed to the edge of a cliff.

Thought perhaps someone else could help me figure out where the trail head is.

So, this just might work out. I have an old car that I do not mind going down a dirt road with.

But, for now...I am guessing I will be down for the count for a while.

it was worth it. I better stay away from people too. I am a little on edge because I am so worn out.

I become a snapping turtle inside...don't show it on the outside because I know it is not the other persons fault. I just avoid people when I am like this. Safer for both of us. [Smile]

Just read about Gary NOrbut too. Dont' want to think about it..makes me cry. His suffering is over.This is good.

And I do think there are dogs in heaven even though I had a pastor say no, so he is probably very happy.

lou4656
Member # 10300

Kam! What an eventful day! You are doing wonderfully! Just rest when you need to, but don't get too comfortable that you don't want to get back up.

Hope the walking buddy works out.

Now. About what the pastor told you. Please believe me when I tell you that there are dogs in heaven. And cats and other critters. The pastor will discover this when he gets to heaven.

And man, will he be surprised!!

--------------------
LouLou

Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My step-father died this morning.

So I've got to fly down to be with my family in Florida.

A lot of last minute running around. I'll catch up on everyone's posts when I get back.

Know I'll be thinking about you all

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sorry to hear that, Andie. Take care and enjoy your family!

kam...That sounds wonderful to have a real friend!! Hope it works out!!

I didn't walk....and now we're getting snow Thurs and Fri....sheesh. I think it will be warm again next week.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lou4656
Member # 10300

Oh Andie! I am so sorry. I am thankful that you got that special phone conversation. Keep that memory close to your heart.

1.5 miles for me today. I am really kicking up the track this week!!

Kam -- Hope all is well with you and that you haven't overdone it. [tsk]

--------------------
LouLou

kam
Member # 3410

LymeToo...glad to hear you are thinking about putting the rubber to the pavement...that is if you can find it under the snow. [Smile]

Andie...sad times

Lou...so good to hear you are kicking up the track this week.

Cathy....???

Don....just trying to stay warm??

Not sure what is going on with me. it seems I am able to carry on a conversation lately. Had two different people drop by and did fine.

One has a wife with brain problems....undx lyme anyone??

But, brain and body did not work until a few minutes ago. Couldn't get it together to even eat until about 6 pm...then it was a can of soup.

Able to walk 10 or 15 min at the golf course tonight at dusk....burr...baby it is cold outside.

kam
Member # 3410

Thursday...back to the golf course. Brain was working better today.

I went the other way today in order to keep Rosie from running out into the street.

I also was able to get her leashed before we got to the pile of wood that she likes to explore and ignore my calls to come.

MOre control of Rosie this am which was good.

Also did a little training while she was on leash for her to help stabilize me when I am on my feet when needed.

Walk itself was about 15 to 20 guessing.

Walked a little, sat on a bench and then walked back.

Learned there is a little pond on the golf course. Birds were singing this morning. Nice spot.

There is a sign that says no trespressing and members only that I passed. Just hoping no one complains.

I think I just might be able to golf. don't know never tried it. But, you do ride around in the carts so moving the body would be easier.

I so have short periods of strength so think I could swing a club.

Maybe some day.

Mind wanted to just keep on walking and enjoy the great outdoors and see what was around the next bend.

But, I am learning it is better to stay within my limits most of the time so I can do a little each day vs being down for a few days because I did too much one day.

Yesterday when I was out there, it was all I could do to just keep myself upright and walk.

But, today I was able to do a little multi tasking and a little training with Rosie.

I like it when my brain works.

lou4656
Member # 10300

A working brain is a wonderful thing, Kam! I would get so frustrated when my brain wouldn't work. No a problem these days, for the most part.

1 mile for me today.

--------------------
LouLou

kam
Member # 3410

Lou, glad to hear you were able to get out today too.

How long does it take you to walk one mile?

I came home and did the dishes. I am exhausted and my lower back hurts but I will recover.

Inspection of the apartment today.

Wasn't able to put dishes away but at least the kitchen is cleaner than it was.

I think doing the dishes at this point counts as exercise too. :0

So exhausted that I will need to lie here for a bit before eating breakfast.

Good news is the brain did not stop talking to the limbs and I was able to do the multi tasking involved with doing dishes. I think I was at it for about 20 min.

The funny thing is if the past housekeepers would have done dishes it would have taken them an hour to do the same thing and they would not have wiped the counters and stove down. go figure??

Not complaining. thankful for their help. it is better for my health if they do it at this point.

lou4656
Member # 10300

It just depends, Kam. On a great day, I can do a mile in 15 minutes (those are the days that I walk 2 miles).

On a not-so-great day, it can take me almost a half hour.

But I am walking again. So every day is really a great day, no matter how long it takes me.

Every time that I start to think negative thoughts, I remember how sick I was and where I've come. And those negative thoughts just disappear.

Good luck with the inspection. You can relax a bit after that.

--------------------
LouLou

kam
Member # 3410

Wow it is Saturday all ready.

Can't recall what I have entered. I do know now I need to enter it right after I have come home or the memory is gone.

Did I mention I took a left to look for the boulder with the face the lady was telling me about??

Couldn't see it.

But, I did find my boulder to lie and soak in some sun and recover from coming up the hill for about 5 or 10 min.

Today I have just walked one lap around the dog park...probably 5 min.

kam
Member # 3410

Summary of week 19.....

Cathy.....out of town

TuTu.....helping to keep us going

Lou..... Walked 4 out of 7 days

Close to 6 miles total

While working full time including a double one day this week. Pretty cool...went from not being able to walk to presently kicking up the track.

Andie.....1.5 miles if my memory worked. Long Work Week plus father in law died so flying out of state. Take care of you Andie. Keep breathing.

KAM.....I think I was on my feet 9 times this week anywhere from walking the perimeter of the dog park 5 min est to 25 min est. Just glad to be out.

Also had a record breaking water therapy session.

Missing someone???

[ 11. March 2008, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: kam ]

lou4656
Member # 10300

Achin Wolf and his dog Rocky (I was hoping they would join the group!)

And of course, Just Don (who we miss)

--------------------
LouLou

kam
Member # 3410

thanks Lou...

Saturday pm....20 to 25 min est on the golf course.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement