LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » i gave sammy back!!! sigh....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i gave sammy back!!! sigh....
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is very difficult for me. but we took sammy back to the lab rescue this morning.

the first night we had her i noticed i was having trouble breathing and woke up several times complaining about the doggie odor.

so we bathed her in oatmeal shampoo. she had very heavy white dandruff and it seemed to help.

saturday nite was not too bad but i was having trouble again. we walked her, fed her, did everything we could to adjust.

sunday night i woke up cause she was sleeping on the carpet by my side of the bed. i was having chest pain and couldn't breathe.

mike agreed although he hated to cause he was getting attached to the dog that my health was more important (will miracles never cease!!). the woman was wonderful about it. we gave them all the food, toys, crate, probably a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff so i think that helped a little.

i am very sad about this, but mike wanted to take a trip next year for two months to alaska, plus the cruise for two weeks in january. plus he had invited six people over this weekend to stay at the house.

i guess i was getting overwhelmed by all this and i know i panicked. i've been alone for over 3 years now since randi died and i've gotten used to my freedom,coming and going as i pleased..just getting in the car and going to albququerque to shop, etc.,,,

mike said i was very selfish but i can't help it. i feel bad but she is in a loving environment and they absolutely will not give her to a bad home. she jumped out of the car and went to visit with the other dogs...

i'm finding out i can't take any pressure whatsoever....plus mike also has commited to going to a christmas party this weekend in east texas (yes, the very same day that the six people are supposed to be here.)

i feel like i've let somebody down and i know it's the depression, but i'd rather be alone and not have the responsibility right now...

i hope somebody understands this....i'm not a bad person, i just can't do commitment right now and a pet is a real commitment....

i'm sort of wondering through my life right now not even knowing half what i'm doing...

guess i need a big hug....she was such a good baby...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry Randi,

I'm sure this decision must have been difficult even though it hurts right now.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aawwwww Randi

I know just how you feel, really I do. About 15yrs ago I had a tiny toy poodle and a german shepard puppy. The poodle slept with me and didn't leave my side.

I hadn't been diagnosed yet and I was getting progressively worse. One night around 1AM I lost it.

I was having a major anxiety attack. I just couldn't handle another thing. I was too sick.

I called a friend of mine and begged him to take my dogs. He came and picked them both up. He gave the sheppard to his sister and his mother took the little poodle.

They happened to be very wealthy and giving people and I knew the dogs would be well taken care of and loved.

Don't think your selfish because your not. You have to take care of yourself. So please don't beat yourself up. [group hug] Okay?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor dog. I really wish people would think about what they are doing before they take in an animal. I can't understan why one would do that.

Animals can't think, but people can. Please don't use lyme disease as an excuse! [tsk]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry!!!!! I understand that it had to be done. Maybe when I go to Denton to see the doctor, I can bring my husky with me so you can meet her. Not only to lift your spirits, but huskies do not have that dog smell. They are very clean animals. So you can see how you might do with a husky instead. Dogs are such a blessing. I think the company would be good for you.

I also want to go to Alaska someday. :-)

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymeloco:
Poor dog. I really wish people would think about what they are doing before they take in an animal. I can't understan why one would do that.

Animals can't think, but people can. Please don't use lyme disease as an excuse! [tsk]

She did not know that would happen. Look, I LOVE animals too... but don't try to make her feel worse. She obviously feels horrible about it. Don't be a jerk. It was unavoidable.

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that it didn't work out. [Frown]

Your health is more important.

I remember what my dog trainer told me.

He asked me if the dogs (I have 7) paid the bills.

I love my animals but it did put it a little more in perspective for me.

Hope you survive the company and the parties.

When the time is right, you will know.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did not use lyme as an excuse. did i say i did it because of my lyme, no i did not.

i said i couldn't do all the responsibility and before you pass judgement, you don't know squat about my living arrangements like some of the other people on this board do.

they know what i go through, so please don't say i'm a cruel and unfeeling person....and that i used lyme.

i have grieved for 3 years over my randi and honestly thought i could handle another pet. i couldn't..but it had nothing to do with lyme.

i even called the vet and asked what to do and he said there was a good possibility i was allergic to the dog dander. he said i could consider shots but he'd have to check out the dog first. and with my health i couldn't see doing allergy shots.

it was overwhelming. and when we took her back the lady did admit (reluctantly) that she was a big chewer and destructive. she had messed on the carpet in the living room but i figured she was stressed, so that's ok.

i did it with the best of intentions but it honestly didn' work out. i wanted her, i really did but it just got overwhelming. i took her back to a loving and kind woman who i know will definitely not let her go to a bad home. this woman has 3 other dogs and cats. and missy was obviously glad to be home. she didn't even look back...

with all our travel it's just better i let her go. yes, i should have reconsidered all this beforehand but i thought it would work.

if that makes me a jerk, fine...but i thought of the animal first and knew i would not be able to handle it. i wanted her to have a loving and good home and if i couldn't do it, i know linda would find one. she had already denied two families.

well i guess there's always going to be somebody who disagrees with me, but you'd better walk in my shoes first before you throw stones.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry it didn't work out. [kiss]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labbies are alot of work....mine is a 107 pounder named Rocky.

....work....work....work

You did the right thing. Mine starts to get ansy if I walk him less than 3 times a week.

When I was real sick a couple of years ago I wanted to give away mine too (no luck) but I use to live on a hundred acres and would let him run loose and fend for himself.

I'd do my best to feed and water him but some days he probably drank more pond water than well water.

He'd eat turtles and drag up deer parts that hunter's left.

I don't recall not feeding him but there might have been a day or two that I wasn't able too.

You just got to do what you can and if you can't only you would know it.

Since you had someone to take the dog back looks like that was meant to be.

When you're up and around and feeling better maybe things will be more conducive to such a huge responsibility.

The doggie will be ok.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a smaller dog next time or a poodle mix... less dander and no shedding hair. I'm talking about your asthma, not convenience.

I'm so sorry you couldn't tolerate this dog. HUGS!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra
Member # 16706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aklnwlf:
Labbies are alot of work....mine is a 107 pounder named Rocky.

....work....work....work

You did the right thing. Mine starts to get ansy if I walk him less than 3 times a week.

When I was real sick a couple of years ago I wanted to give away mine too (no luck) but I use to live on a hundred acres and would let him run loose and fend for himself.

I'd do my best to feed and water him but some days he probably drank more pond water than well water.

He'd eat turtles and drag up deer parts that hunter's left.

I don't recall not feeding him but there might have been a day or two that I wasn't able too.

You just got to do what you can and if you can't only you would know it.

Since you had someone to take the dog back looks like that was meant to be.

When you're up and around and feeling better maybe things will be more conducive to such a huge responsibility.

The doggie will be ok.

Poor dog. Dogs are NOT wolves and CANNOT "fend for themselves"- they are domesticated animals. I find this post very sad. Walking only 3 times a week is sad. People who cannot take care of their dogs should surrender them to a rescue group, please. Loving animals and taking proper care of them can be very different things. You need both.
Posts: 35 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Randibear Sister >>>>>,

Randibear,and any of our Lymers w/ pets, Sometimes even when it breaks our hearts we do have to give up a pet. Sometiems it's just plain the right thing to do.

TxCoord worked w/ dogs in the military [security police], a few years back,we adopted a lab husky mix...and we couldn't do anything with it... the dog was intellignet,cute loving,and chewed everything even after a year or two.

TxCoord tried all sorts of things to train the dog...it wouldn't train.Period... we've never had that much troube w/ an animal before or since...

Humane society, the local vet,and the pound worked together to help us find a good home match for our Toby,after he injured my shoulder. He did finally find a good home. And tho' I miss the dog...I will not allow regrets to cloud my memories of him!

My other dog who loved Toby dearly but was injured by him [he was just to rough,and she's a husky mix too] is fine now...and we have a smaller dog,that is her friend as much as our friend.

<<<<< Randibear >>>>> don't feel bad...those who are ill and cannot walk there dogs as they would like... do the best you can.

I cannot walk very far or very long w/o problems,and my dogs are fine!!! Our Husky/chow mix is my 'unofficial' service dog. She blocks me from getting in the shower etc, when I have bad headaches/seizure symptoms,and stays close by me...

My Husky/chow mix protected me, when our property was broken on to...and I was being stalked...the stalkers in jail still as far as I know... give up my pets because I cannot walk them but rarely...NEVER!

But a dog that i couldn't hendle,that injured me,or that was risking my health..like our Toby,YES... I'd give them up...especislly to a better home!

Jus' my humble thot's and Opinions...

From Silverwolf!!!

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to take care of yourself, that's that.

No matter how much you want to have aodg and no matter how much joy and love she brings to you, sometimes it's just not possible.

I'm sorry you went through this.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big hugs to you sweetheart!

You absolutely did the right thing and don't let anyone tell you differently or guilt you for doing the right thing!

The fact that you had a new symptom that was brought on by the dog is no fault of yours!
I agree with others, your health has to come first.

I know you would never have done anything to hurt a dog. You made sure the dog would be placed in a good home. You gave him back before he became attached to you and Mike so you handled it perfectly.

[group hug]
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanettefv
Member # 17730

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jeanettefv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love a dog, if someone else did all the work. I know my health isn't up to it.

My cat takes care of himself mostly and gives plenty of affection.

Cats are also clean animals.

Try a kitty cat [group hug]

--------------------
Jeanette
http://www.AHandbagShop.net

Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Randi!! I love animals, had them all of my life. We recently adopted a Newfoundland from the humane society (I've wanted one for 12 long years!). He so far has... 1) chewed through the TV cable twice 2) eaten our couch, yes chewed the entire seat, and I have pictures to prove it!
3)chewed through the lamp cord/new lamp shade
4) had a terrible time house training 5) barks all night in his crate or any time he is in it 6) ESCAPED THE CRATE!! Anyone else hear of a dog who figures out how to lean and make the crate collapse and then get out!!!???

My husband had to use metal wire to reinforce the sides (it is a brand new crate from Petsmart) and we have 2 locks on it.

He's very smart and is a LOT of work, we were told he was 2 years old, vet told us nope, he is a puppy ( he is a large dog obviously, but very sweet).

It's hard and if I was as sick as I was a few months ago I would have never considered it and if we'd gotten him, no way could I have handled it.

I love animals, but your health is important, how can you care for someone/something else with poor health???

Take care and I'm glad that your dog found a loving home!!

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, I'm so sorry. It's a heartbreak to be a dog lover without a dog, and it's really rotten to have to give a dog up to an uncertain home. But I'm sure if you found him adoptable, someone else will too and he'll go on to a good place.

A lymie friend of mine with significant dog allergy problems adopted a labradoodle (poodle/lab/retriever cross). No allergy problems so far (she's had her girl 6 months) and the pup has a sweet and easygoing nature.

She also had real concerns about being overwhelmed physically and emotionally -- it's astonishing how little stress it takes to knock us lymies down -- but she waited and looked for 2 years to find her dog and her hubby understood that he had to do the lions share of the doggie-care work to make it possible.

Poodles in general, because they have hair and not fur, work for people with allergies -- but they tend to be fairly high-energy dogs. There are always quiet ones, though. In fact, you might find the perfect poodle who's been rejected because she doesn't have enough drive for performance work.

My Annie, a german shepherd, would be rejected by a lot of GSD people because she is so incredibly quiet and laid back, with very little drive. She's been perfectly perfect for me, though, and has helped me regain my health by taking me on long, calm walks.

Best of luck. Don't give up your doggie search --take it slow, focus on what you really need (an older, quiet dog?) and what needs to happen for you to be able to keep a dog. You'll find the right match. Remember, teh only people who don't fail are the ones who don't try.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, deep breath here. The Lab Rescue will find a good home for your doggie, so you can let go of the guilt.

If you made a poor decision in getting the dog, well what one of us has never made a poor decision. You've got lots of company. We learn and go forward.

The last thing you need to add to the mix is allergy shots. Your body doesn't need to be fighting allergies, or shots you don't need. Thta would place an additional stress on your already burdened system.

Simply enjoy life for awhile. In time to come if you are feeling stronger and want to try again, do research on which dogs are the least problems for allergies.

Then spend a day and preferably night with a dog from that breed.

Life is long, look at the future. Rest, heal, enjoy life, be blessed. Let go of guilt, and go forward in peace.

Wishing you showers of blessings!

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement