LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Advice for pushing through the tough times

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice for pushing through the tough times
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the process of starting a business, and it's going really well.

But it is really frustrating trying to balance my Lyme/Bart recovery with the business. I will have one great week, where I can actually think. Then I fall down into a pit of fog for, like, 3 weeks.

What I am doing is trying to balance the tasks so that they match how I'm feeling.

For instance, when I can think, I move ahead with new ideas, network, research etc.

...and when I can't think, I focus on the grunt work, e.g., building my website.

But, wow, this is tougher than I thought. It's like I am two people.

I refuse to give up.

I would love any suggestions from those who have been there or are still going through something similar.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marbei
Member # 19160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marbei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the feeling....it is good that you are pushing ahead.
Posts: 8 | From southeastern, Pa | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am back to work as a Speech Pathologist in the middle of January.

First time since Katrina.

Not in remission, still treating, still coping daily.

I guess the best thing for me is that I told my co-workers

That I have Lyme disease and company.

When I have a hard time finding a word, I am usually good enough

To "cover" it up. This is sometimes almost as hard as getting the right word.

I laugh at myself a lot.

Share my recovery with anyone who is interested.

In fact, I've had several ask me about Igenex, Lyme, bartonella, etc.

I go to bed as early as I can.

Try to not accomplish everything I used to (house work),

Leave lots of little things undone so I can concentrate on work.

I also pray a lot. It helps me get through the tough days.

Hang in there. It doesn't always matter the level at which

You are functioning. Just that you are. [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thank you, Geneal. That is wonderful advice. I am glad to hear that you are back to work.
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, that's great to hear about your business!

I've been at work for 2 years after a really horrible bout of Lyme and cos. I'm also still on abx, as well as supplements.

Like Geneal, I do whatever I can and let the rest go. I did tell my bosses when they offered me a job (not an issue for you) but only one or two of my colleagues. For me, that's worked best. It keeps me trying to hold it together.

I've tended to average about 3 or 4 sick days a year--no more. So that's been good.

I still struggle with a lot of the mental symptoms--scrambling for words (and I'm a writer), memory loss. I try to mitigate that by doing brain exercises at night. Business life is stressful in good times, I suspect, and for most businesses, these times aren't good. My co is beginning to lay off workers, and the stress of all that can be overwhelming. I have started meditating, walking at lunch, almost anything that can take me out of the stress and to a more peaceful state of mind.

Hope this helps, and I wish you much success building your business!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Wow, Andie, only 3 to 4 sick days a year is incredible! I love your post, thank you.

What are the brain exercises you do? I have been experimenting with Brain Gym, which is pretty cool.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mazou, what type of business are you starting?

well, i was bitten at age 21; NEVER knew it until 34.5 yrs. later since i didn't see a tick or a bulls-eye rash!

so i worked from age 21 - 49; 28 yrs. WITH it unaware of it.

some tips i will give you for working all that time and i was the BIGGEST SICK LEAVE USER in my division of the huge company i worked for. got a lecture every year about the amount of sick leave i took including for 12 major surgeries and minor surgeries!!

1. tackle the HARDEST jobs first .... split it up into manageable parts on the good days when your mind is working GOOD!

2. brain is not engaged, work on the smaller stuff that doesn't take as much brain power.

3. do you have any kids or someone who'd like to help you do things to set some easier types of things up freeing you for more important work?

4. have pen and paper next to the bed so when you think of things needing to be done, WRITE IT DOWN THEN, so your mind isn't thinking about this all night long, and you can get sleep.

5. have any family/friends offered to help you do ANYTHING? TAKE THEM UP ON THEIR OFFER!

best wishes on starting your new business!! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on starting a new business under adverse conditions.

Adjusting your tasks to energy levels is good management.

I find if I'm having trouble with a task, it helps to stop for 30 seconds and take a few deep breaths. It clears your head and refocuses what you are doing.

Before you begin again, tell yourself...I CAN DO THIS. Then go a little more slowly through the task.

Overachievers tend to take on too much and be rushed. Slow down, and remind yourself constantly that you are doing a great job!

Prioritize, focus and achieve. Remember you don't have to do everything right now.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Betty, I love your list, and I will post it on my wall.

In fact, I have been using the notebook trick, for I'll get an idea or remember to do something, and one second later it has completely flown out of my mind. It is frustrating.

Thanks, Melodymaker, for the time out tip. I never do this, and I think it will help immensely. And I also appreciate the I CAN DO THIS! Thank you so much. Beautiful Jeremiah quote, by the way.

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

OptiMisTick I LOVE it!!! Such wise advice. And I love "Kind of like Dog Years vs. People Years.Normal person accomplishsments vs. Lyme people accomplishments."

It is absolutely true.

I just started with an energy supplement from NutriBiotics, and it seems to be helping. Thank you again.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mazou, i forgot to mention but by getting the HARDEST PARTS DONE FIRST, the rest is smooth sailing and less timeconsuming to do! [Smile]

glad you are getting good ideas! xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thanks, bettyG! I get good ideas about once every four weeks. Then I become a total dummy in the fog again. It's hilarious. It really is.

And the hardest parts first advice is the best. Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement