LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Power chair issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Power chair issues
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My power chair is not doing very well this am. Something is smelling. Reminds me of the train sets that would start smelling when they were overheated as a kid.

And it is pulling to the right and a rough ride and doesn't want to go...I barely made it back to the house.

I will see if my brain is working well enough to log into the jazzy pride web site later today.

But, looks like there might be two motors and one of them is going.

Thankful I have two power chairs.

The one that needs repairs is what I call my indoor chair as it works so much better in the stores and is good when I can hold myself upright as it doesn't recline.

The other one is like driving a recliner around which is great outdoors when I can't hold my body upright.

Any power chair people out there that might have an idea what is going on.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS I thought one of the breaks might have gone on when I went over a speed bump as that is when I started having troubles.

But, checked both levers...moved them in break position and then back out and that did not help.

I will see if I have a manual on it later.

Brain and body don't have what it takes to get on my knees and see if I can see anything right now.

So, I guess it is going to have to sit for a while.

I also don't have what it takes to see if I have a manual on it and read it either....but if I sit for a while I might be able to do that.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I also should have turned around and came home.
kam
Member # 3410

OK Got the number of the authorized service tech in my town.

Waiting for my brain to recover from calling Pride and getting the number.

Telephone calls are so difficult.

They said that Quatum is a pride speciality chair and not all can work on them.

But, I am hoping this is an easy, and inexpensive fix.

But, if it is a motor know that is not inexpensive.

My level of functioning just went down several levels this am.

Amazing how stress affects things with lyme and company.

MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kam,it could be a bad connection getting hot and not sending the proper voltage to the motor.

Like a plug in for the motor.

I have often thought about working on the power wheel chairs.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

when I am able, I am going to lay it on its side and see what I can see.

A loose connection makes sense as it started having troubles when I went over a speed bump.

I drove it to the community room today. I touched the motors and the motor that is on the right was very hot and the one on the left cool to the touch.

it is pulling to the right.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KAM...

Before you lay it on its side.. take it outside.

Then maybe some nice guy or gal will come along and ask if you need help.

Let them help you!!!!

I am sure you would make them happy if they found a way they could lend a hand.

And you'd be happy that they can help.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kam, [group hug] [kiss]

good luck on someone helping you to find the problem on your chair. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's it going, kam??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K,i was going to say what tincup said. let someone help you. make their day.
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

The power chair is going to have to wait until I am doing better at this point.

I don't want to be tossing my cookies on anyone!!

kam
Member # 3410

but, great idea about taking it outside or even in the community room.

That way if I can't get it back up I will have help.

Not even sure I will be able to lay it on it side at this point by myself.

kam
Member # 3410

thankful I have the reclining power chair so I can still get Rosie out to toilet.

It is the small upright chair that I use to go grocery shopping that is down or that I use when I am strong enough to hold myself upright.

it is a lot easier to drive and moves faster.

Teh other one is like a recliner on wheels. Great for when the body can't hold itself up but not so good in stores or when I am doing better

kam
Member # 3410

CAlled Pride and they gave me a name of a tech in this area.

Finally able to call him today. he did the same thing I did...release the brakes/levers and move the chair around.

Then he called pride to ask what to do.

They told him what the readings should be for the motor I assume.

he unhooked the joy stick plugs after opening up a small cover in the back.

Took a reading and they were all wrong. So, he figured it was his meter.

Said he would be back in a day or two.

I found it interesting. I had not looked under that small cover in the back before.

The power chair acts like the brake is still on the right side causing the motor to work harder resulting in the whole system shutting down.

A friend and I checked for wires this morning but couldn't really see anything.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do I need to come down there and kick some power chair in the rear????

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

LOL. I hadn't thought of that!

Called the power chair repair guy this am. Asked him to come and at least hook things back up so I can charge the batteries.

We had a bit of a disagreement on just how long the batteries can sit.

he is new to this so doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.

Said he was hoping to come this afternoon and that he got a new meter.

Hoping if he doesn't show up, my health is strong enough I can get on the floor and hooks things back up myself.

Also hoping I might have a moment of better vision and processing be able to read the manual.

I did post on the Pride Jazzy website.

Haven't gotten a response yet about the trouble with the power chair motor getting really hot on one side and it pulling to the right.

But, did get a response on the charging of the batteries. It was what I had heard from another tech.

But, darn if I can recall what it was now. I just know it has been too long and the batteries need charging or I will also have the cost of having to get new batteries.

kam
Member # 3410

Got a response from the Pride web site:

The reason your chair is pulling to the right may be the result of a break hang up. It looks like you may need a new motor assembly, if your chair is still under warranty, this repair would be covered.

....this makes sense except I don't understand why the motor assembly needs to be replace for a break hang up.

....and no ..my chair is not under warranty.

The power chair repair guy said he would be here this morning.

hoping to at least get things put back together so I can charge the batteries.

Don't want to have to replace them too.

Tried to do a search to see how much it would be to replace the motor assembly but didn't come up with any answers.

I assume that the reading the pc repair guy will do will help him know if the motor needs replacing too.

There are two motors ...one on each side of the chair near the wheels.

The chair needs an overall servicing too...lube etc.

They are supposed to have this once a year but it just wasn't in my budget and not sure we even have someone locally that can do this.

This guy is just getting his feet wet with servicing power chairs and not sure how good he will be.

I wasn't able to read the manual yesterday due to lyme and company.

kam
Member # 3410

OK Systems are reconnected so I was able to charge batteries.

Thankfully, the readings were good. So, it is still a mystery at this point. Repair guy will be calling the Pride Tech on Monday.

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt get to see this chair.

Is the 'brake' physically visible??

Can you SEE where the brake contacts the wheel to stop??

If the readings are normal sounds like the motor isnt drawing too much current as a burnt out one would,,,this is good.

Hoping a blast of penetrating oil frees the brake parts and makes them work smoothly.

Is it possible when you hit that speed bump and this started something else fell down in there and is acting like a brake.

Slow down on the speed bumps!!! We are going to make a sign says,,,Kam speed limit 2MPH,,,all others 65MPH. Tee Hee!!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

LOL...after all that is my speedy chair.

The PC repair guy did ..can't think of what I want to say...put the chair on a slant so he could look at both wheels.

There was nothing visual to see.

I was able to read the manual which is a first for me...and noticed something about checking the breaks.

But, when I went back to find it again I was not able to.

So, I will try again later...

It was something about sitting in the power chair and checking the breaks from the control joy stick.

Something about how many beeps I should hear.

I also saw a diagram of the wheel showing each piece separate.

The break system was not in the wheel itself.

it rolls freely when I lower or raise the break lever so it can roll freely.

The breaks need to be on in order to use the system to move the power chair.

So, it has something to do with when they are on.

kam
Member # 3410

The PC repair guy said he called the pride tech and they suggested switching motors and then seeing if it pulls to the right.

It appears the braking system is connected to the motor system some how.

What a job he has before him.

also kind of scared to ask how much this is all going to cost me.

Need to figure this out. It would be nice to know what the problem was first before I start worrying about the cost of repairing it.

kam
Member # 3410

PC repair guy drove power chair again and concluded it needed a new motor.

He was good at explaining what he had done and why he felt a new motor was the answer.

Waiting to get an estimate.

But, will also call Pride myself when able and see if they can tell me what a motor will cost and how long I can expect the other motor to last.

I was impatient with the repair guy but realized it was because I wanted him to wave a magic wand and fix it.

So, really not his fault. He is doing OK. It is just my brain getting mad at him because it is having so much trouble processing what he is telling me.

If I were normal, I would want him to explain things to me. But, with lyme and company I want him just to wave a magic wand and fix it.

kam
Member # 3410

PC repair guy called. he said he talked to the pride tech again.

And will bring air compressor over to see if he can blow some dirt out of the system.

If that doesn't work, it looks like $1,000 for new motor with labor and parts.

I am trying not to let this get to me. I am concerned that batteries and tries also will need replacing soon too. And what about the other motor??

So, just need to be thankful I have the other power chair that is working.

I know it too will need batteries and tires soon.

I think batteries last 2 years in the power chairs. I have been using mine for 3 years I think.

But, I think it was because I used one power chair for indoor stuff and the other for outdoor stuff and when I was not able to hold my body upright.

Glad it is the power chair that I have to hold my body upright that is broke and not the other way around as I have needed the reclining power chair with leg lifts the most lately.

do not stress. Do not stress. Just be thankful for what you have KAM and hope the air compressor knocks the dirt out and that fixes it.

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
following the thread. glad you are making progress. ask the company if they have any grants, or funds for disabled. do you have medicare?
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Ali...I have medicaid and they will not help as I am able to be on my feet for short periods of time.

I will talk to pride and ask them. The repair chair guy is just a guy working out of his home and trying to make ends meet himself.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAARRRGGHHHH... I'm so sorry to hear this, kam.

Will pray for a solution to this. Wish I could wave MY magic wand.. but I don't have one!!!! [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

i was thing about this earlier kam, you are definitely one of my heros. [woohoo]
kam
Member # 3410

Thanks Ali.

I rediscovered wheel chair guy. Waiting for log in approval and then will post on their web site re: PC issues.

I did notice they have a lot of info on batteries and was able to read a bit of it.

I see my PC repair guy had not done his homework as far as charging batteries.

[ 11-28-2009, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

kam
Member # 3410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQi5Qc_1ls

Saw this video while looking for answers about a power chair a lot like mine having some fun in the snow.

kam
Member # 3410

OK...now I am posting just to help myself recall what is going on.

Received this email from the Wheel Chair guy....

Based on your follow-up, the symptoms suggests an issue with the electromagnetic brake, most likely not fully disengaging, placing drag on the motor, causing both the veering and heating of the motor (and the speed bump was likely just coincidental).

...He asked me to send him the serial number which I did.

..So, a bit hopeful and thankful for help from someone who knows power chairs.

PS his email address was for pride mobility. I had just checked the pride web site to see if I could send in an email as my phone skills are hit and miss...mostly miss.

But, phone calls were the only way to connect with them.

Then I checked to see if there was an update on my post and found the above.

[ 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

kam
Member # 3410

Doing the happy dance in my mind and soul.

Just received an email about arranging to send me a new motor and brake system.

I just need to come up with the funds to get it installed.

So, will be calling the local PC repair guy to see how much it will cost to install the motor when my telephone skills are working.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

Contacted power chair repair guy to see what installing the motor would cost.

He wanted to know who I talked to at Pride.

Said he would be coming over this afternoon.

did not show.

Contacted him on the 17th and he came over. It is the 28th now and the wheels are still not turning...literally.

So, next step is to get the motor and then take it from there.

Might need to go down the hill to have it put in.

kam
Member # 3410

Hopefully, the wheels will be turning soon and all will be running smoothly.
kam
Member # 3410

RECAP: Called the local pc repair guy on the 17th and he came over drove the power chair down the hall, relased breaks as I had done and the pc moved freely, the then called Pride.

His meter was not working so he said he would be back later to get the readings Pride tech said to check.

I called him to have him put the system back together so I could charge batteries and keep them from going bad.

He came over with new meter and said readings were OK.

Said he would call Pride again.

Came over again and took it down the hall for a drive.

Said he called pride and they said it might need a new motor but to use an air compressor first.

I called him again and told him the results of my emails to what turned out to be a Pride tech.

What is that..17 to 28 11 days??

Ok just me being impatient to find out what the problem was and getting it fixed.

I use that chair the most.

[ 11-29-2009, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I thought you didn't NEED a new motor?????

you said: "Based on your follow-up, the symptoms suggests an issue with the electromagnetic brake, most likely not fully disengaging, placing drag on the motor, causing both the veering and heating of the motor (and the speed bump was likely just coincidental)."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

The motor and brake system are one. Go figure??

so, yes. he said he would look into it on Monday and let me know when the motor is in the mail.

The first pride tech I talked too said it looked like it needed a new motor too due to the break system causing drag on the motor and the brake system being in the motor.

kam
Member # 3410

Just thinking...the wheel chair guy said that since the power chair rolls freely and doesn't pull to the right when the breaks are released it means....what he said above.
kam
Member # 3410

Heard from the wheel chair guy and he said the motor is on its way. It should be here the first of next week.

Now, I need to find someone who can get the job done.

Going to get a few estimates in writing. Then submit it to the salvation army. I think they might help with up to $200 or $300.

Main concern right now is finding someone who will get the job done.

Not so sure about the guy who is the certified Pride Tech in this area.

Mot sure what the issue is...just a rookie or ?

I will be so glad when I am able to use the chair again.

kam
Member # 3410

Ok Stopped by local mechanic and they don't do power chairs.

Sent email to Pride asking for a Quantum Tech....most likely will be someone down the hill which could get tricky.

Still haven't heard from local pride tech...but kind of loosing faith in him.

Notice some people are what we were taught in college as process people and not get the job done people.

Thinking he is a process person. I need get the job done person.

kam
Member # 3410

Explored pride web site some more and found several names of companies down the hill.

Called two and got bids.

Local PC guy called and is coming over tomorrow.

He can't give me a bid until he looks at the power chair...again.

Not liking this guy and wanting to wrap things up with him. I figure I just need to pay him for doing the readings with his meter.

He has dragged this out long enough. Someone who knew what they were doing would have had this fixed by now.

kam
Member # 3410

Received phone message from local power chair repair guy but couldn't understand what he said.

Called the guy down the hill again today as I did not receive the email with the bid.

Received email shortly afterwards. Just need to figure out how to get the PC down the hill.

Sent letter to salvation army requesting help with paying for labor.

Looks like things have gone from $1,000 to $90.

So glad I got different estimates.

Received motor today from Pride. Too weak to open box but finally was able to look at return address and see it was from Pride Mobility.

Hoping PC gets fixed before Christmas. Nice christmas present.

kam
Member # 3410

Maintenance guy for the apartments came today to fix the door stop and take the closet doors off and put them into the storage room.

I have really been beating those doors up as I try to get out the front door of the apartment.

I told him that when the smaller power chair gets fixed it will be much easier getting out the door of the apartment.

he asked me what was wrong and then said he will be over tomorrow to see if he can fix it.

Keep your fingers crossed!

He also said to make him an offer when I asked what it would cost. My brain was not working well enough to make him an offer at the time so will deal with that when he comes tomorrow.

I sure hope he is able to fix it.

He is moving to South Carolina. Today is his last day on the job here as a half time maintenance guy.

I sure hope he is able to fix it.

kam
Member # 3410

The old maintenance man for the apartments is here right now to see if he can put in the new motor/breaking system in the power chair.

Sure hope I am able to use the power chair this afternoon.

I am excited.

Do you think I will be able to do a wheelie or burn rubber!!

kam
Member # 3410

Mission Accomplished!

I can sign my checks but usually need someone else to fill the rest in.

So, I asked him to fill in the rest for me. He said he had never written a check before.

I said something about my dad had never written a check either and that my mom always did it.

He then said it was because he uses his check debit card and ATM card and pays his bills on line.

Ah...the new generation of the communication era.

Well, I am off to take Rosie out to toilet in my smooth, faster rolling power chair.

Hoping I am able to make the appointment tomorrow fo the tram to pick me up too in order to go grocery shopping.

this power chair is so much easier to move around stores in and get things off of the shelves and out of the coolers, etc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement