LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » The Physical Toll of Loneliness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Physical Toll of Loneliness
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Physical Toll of Loneliness Posted by Dr. Mercola | May 15 2010

Loneliness doesn't just affect your mind; it can also cause problems with your blood pressure.

Researchers gave a survey to close to 230 people aged 50 to 68. They were asked to rate their feelings about statements such as, "I lack companionship" and "My social relationships are superficial."

The participants were then monitored for five years. The Los Angeles Times reports that:

``Researchers noted an association between feelings of loneliness and high blood pressure.

People who ranked as feeling most lonely had blood pressure levels 14.4 points higher than those who felt least lonely. Increases in systolic blood pressure were cumulative, so those who had higher levels of loneliness at the beginning of the study had greater blood pressure increases over the years.''

Sources:
Los Angeles Times March 17, 2010

Psychology and Aging March 2010;25(1):132-41

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

Feelings of loneliness are incredibly common, and, ironically, even as the physical distance between people has shrunk, emotional ``isolation'' is on the rise.

Up to one-quarter of Americans say they are frequently lonely, and this number is expected to rise in coming years. Loneliness expert John Cacioppo, a social neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, credits the rising rates of loneliness to two major factors: longer lifespans leading to more years in widowhood and a rise in single-person households.

Of course, it's possible to feel lonely even when you're surrounded by people, and although many do, few will readily admit it. Our society has developed as one that values self-reliance and independence, so much so that a person may feel ashamed of their need for companionship.

This need, however, is quite natural and if not fulfilled over time can lead to a host of mental and physical problems. While most everyone feels lonely from time to time, staying lonely can take a major toll on your physical health.

How Loneliness Harms Your Health
Negative emotions will invariably impact your physical well-being, and loneliness is no different. The latest research reveals that feeling lonely raises your blood pressure up to 14 points, with greater increases coming the more years the lonely feelings persist.

This is far from the only study linking loneliness to health repercussions. A separate study found the risk of developing dementia increased about 51 percent for each one-point increase on a loneliness scale.

What's interesting, though, is that brain deposits that normally develop in Alzheimer's patients were not seen among those who were lonely, indicating that the emotion triggers dementia through a different mechanism such as higher levels of stress hormones, cancer or high blood pressure (all of which are more likely to occur in lonely people).

Other studies have also shown that being socially isolated can cause health problems including weakening your immune system and resulting in sleep dysfunctions.

Further, in what Cacioppo described as "slowly unfolding pathophysiological processes," his research demonstrated that people who are lonely are more likely to:

Be depressed
Suffer from alcoholism
Report higher levels of perceived stress
Have fewer positive social interactions
More Evidence of Your Mind-Body Connection
It truly is amazing how much your mindset can influence your physical health, but study after study continues to bear this out. Your mind-body connection is a powerful force that can either bolster or destroy your health.

One reason for this has to do with epigenetics, which centers on the notion that environmental factors such as stress and your diet influence the expression of your genes.

It is the expression of your genes -- NOT the genes themselves -- that dictates whether you develop certain diseases or age prematurely.

You see, as you age your genome does not change but your epigenome changes dramatically, especially during critical periods of life, such as adolescence. It is influenced by physical and emotional stresses -- how you respond to everything that happens in your environment, from climate change to final exams to childhood abuse.

So if you are chronically lonely, this negative emotion will influence the expression of your genes, and thus directly impact your tendency to develop disease.

This also explains why, as Dawson Church cites in his book The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention, heart surgery patients who have a strong social support network and spiritual practice have a mortality rate 1/7th of those who do not!

Outstanding Solution -- Companion Pets
A dog or cat can provide unconditional love and comfort, and studies show that owning a pet can help protect against loneliness, depression and anxiety. In fact, dogs are often brought to nursing homes, hospice settings and hospitals for this very reason.

The bond that forms between a person and a companion pet can be incredibly fulfilling, and serves, in many ways, as an important and rewarding relationship. As the American Veterinary Medical Association states:

``The human-animal bond is a mutually beneficial and dynamic relationship between people and animals that is influenced by behaviors that are essential to the health and well-being of both. This includes, but is not limited to, emotional, psychological, and physical interactions of people, animals, and the environment.''

The research on this is really quite profound. For instance, having a dog as a companion could add years to your life, as studies have shown that owning a dog played a significant role on survival rates in heart attack victims.

Studies have also revealed that people on Medicaid or Medicare who own a pet make fewer visits to the doctor. The unconditional acceptance and love a dog gives to their owner positively impacts their owner's emotional health in ways such as:

Boosting self-confidence and self-esteem
Promoting communication between elderly residents and neighbors
Helping people cope with illness, loss and depression.
Reducing stress levels
Helping to meet new friends
Providing a source of touch and affiliation
Along with companionship, dogs and cats satisfy our human need for close physical contact and touching. This actually works on a hormonal level, as well as an emotional one.

Research from the University of Missouri-Columbia suggests the hormonal changes that occur when humans and dogs interact could help people cope with depression and certain stress-related disorders. An example of this is spending a few minutes petting your dog -- this simple act prompts the release of a number of "feel good" hormones in humans, including serotonin, prolactin and oxytocin.

If you're looking to add a new furry member to your family, check out your local animal shelter. Most are filled with cats and dogs looking for someone to love. Petfinder.com is also an excellent resource for finding a pet companion ... it allows you to search through nearly 300,000 adoptable pets from over 13,000 adoption groups so you can find just the right match for you.

Other Tips for Overcoming Loneliness
As I said earlier, it is completely natural to crave companionship. You are a social creature that thrives on social support and meaningful personal relationships.

That said, the road to overcoming loneliness is two-fold:

Creating more fulfilling social ties
Learning to enjoy your alone time
For the latter, I suggest putting some attention on your emotional energy. It is likely that you need to let go of some of your limiting beliefs, stress, and also your past emotional "baggage," all of which may be keeping you in a lonely emotional state.

I believe that Meridian Tapping Technique/Emotional Freedom Technique (MTT/EFT) can be highly effective for this purpose, and can be a key player in your journey to finding your own inner happiness.

Now, once you are feeling secure with yourself, it's time to devote some attention to creating new relationships. This doesn't have to be as daunting as it may sound, no matter what stage of life you are in. I recommend:

Exploring new hobbies and interests that ignite your natural curiosity and passions. Deep friendships naturally form among people with similar interests.
Volunteering or joining a club or organization in your area. Book clubs, adult sports leagues, holistic moms groups, even food coops can all lead to new relationships.
Making an effort to re-establish old relationships and cultivate new ones. This could be with family you've lost touch with, friends from college, or a new neighbor across the street. The Internet is also an increasingly popular way to meet new people!

Related Links:
Why Being Lonely Makes You Get Sick Faster

Loneliness May Increase Your Risk of Alzheimer's - Dementia

Profound Thoughts About Relationships And Patience

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta Vent for a second:

Awesome for everyone except us. Most of us have been abandoned whether we like it or not. 80% of us are too sick to even feed our pets, nevermind water a plant.

Optimism -- it's denial spelled with an O. All this new age "You'll feel better if you just believe hard enough" just makes me want to vomit.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by METALLlC BLUE:
I gotta Vent for a second:

Awesome for everyone except us. Most of us have been abandoned whether we like it or not. 80% of us are too sick to even feed our pets, nevermind water a plant.

Optimism -- it's denial spelled with an O. All this new age "You'll feel better if you just believe hard enough" just makes me want to vomit.

I agree !

about the vomit statement.

Mans condition with God in there life is hard and throw in lyme well its rough

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to thank Massman for posting this though, because I know that for some it's what they need to know, and also because I know he means well when he posts the information.

The reality is, the world doesn�t revolve around Lyme, but Lyme dose revolve around many of us. People often get mad at me when I say "I'm so sick of those people who say "I may have Cancer, MS, or whatever, but I go on with like, because I may have Cancer, but Cancer doesn't have me.?

**** that ****, Lyme has me, and it revolves around me. I'm going to win eventually but god damit, you know? Life is on pause. I've had a few months in 10 years where suddenly life wasn't on pause (and this is just since diagnosis, nevermind everything from the beginning).

So yeah, lonliness and other things are harmful to the health, but Lyme in the late Chronic State -- surrounded by those in a world where the disease doesn't exist, and most family member tell us we're obsessed, or we're lazy, and our friends stop trying (we stop trying too).

God damnit, Lyme is torture. It's like living in a nightmare except you're awake. Even on the days where you think you've come to terms, you know deep inside that you're just denying the losses and grief you'd feel if you allowed yourself to experience the pain of losing another day, especially a holiday, or a dinner with those you love, or even bringing your kids or partner somewhere.

It's torture when your partner leaves. It's torture when you become someone else -- almost like a backseat driver, and you say and do things that you wouldn't normally do, because Lyme has infected your brain and now you're not you.

So not only do you feel alone when you are in a crowd, but you feel alone when you really are alone.

I broke down crying last week when I had to explain to my mother why -- for the 1,000th time I couldn't go visit family.

It all began with "I know you're tired, but it's only two hours, you can do that, out of respect for him."

I couldn't do it. Later, I got the tongue lashing with words such as disappointed, Two-hours, self-centered"

I may not like being with people who treat me like **** -- like this, but I didn't break down for them. I broke down because they act like they're losing so much, when really I'm losing. I could be seeing my nephews, or bringing my girlfriend out, or spending time living. I'm not self centered, and I told my mother that. I told her -with a face of tears- that they're the self centered ones, I'm sick, you don't think I don't want to be around of some of my family, or that I want to be accepted, or to be able to even wake up and not feel this overwhelming sense of guilt and responsibility you all pile on me, as though I'm some kind of ****in' degenerate moron who chooses this over the worldful opportunities to be apart of something more than the 4 walls and a telephone that I live with daily?"

I then got ****ed and said the truth. Everyone wants me to make the effort, but where the **** are all of you? Why are my family not driving here and spending 2 hours here with me, or calling me, or making the effort? I'll tell you why, because they're self centered. They think I'm some self-fish prick, but the difference between us, is I don't choose to behave the way I do.

Who the **** wants to be alone? Who here knows the damage it does to the body and mind when one isolates or is alone for extensive periods of time? Who here knows that without sunlight and vitamin D, your bones and body will get weaker?

Who here still stays alone inspite of knowing these truths?

I sure as **** don't want to, but the reality is, that's often my life.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the reasons I posted this was because of the (seems to me) denial here of emotional aspects being entangled with the physical + chemical parts of the disease.

The article is general but it is NOT a
Don't Worry, Be Happy [Big Grin] piece.
Seems that many do use this way to stuff emotional stuff in a can + seal the lid.

The EFT / MTT technique is an effective way of changing yourself without reliving the emotions or emotional trauma that has occurred.

I am not sure why it is not being looked at + given a good trial. I feel it is a major breakthrough, combining tapping meridian points (Oriental Medicine) and specific words that apply to you.

I really like things that are simple, effective and low cost. I know some people think if something is "too simple" it cannot or does not work.

That's all for now........

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement