LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Facebook Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facebook Help
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to facebook because I was just too exhausted to care. I signed up a few days ago but don't know how to find other lymies there.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a member here aka lymetwister (member # 19590) who is in touch with a lot of people on Facebook with Lyme. You can send him a private message and ask him.

Good Luck,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie,
There is a HUGE lyme community on Facebook. Send me friend request, Tracy Hamer Will, and I'll hook you up. There is a whole other world out there of Lymies who live in Facebook land. A large, large support community, pages, groups, etc!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Tracy.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joahsark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm there too with about 100 lyme friends, "friend" me and we can share them. "Penny Kirk". Seeya there!
Posts: 219 | From pacific nw | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
agape
Member # 24519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for agape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can put the word Lyme in the search engine and many organizations will come up and any persons who have put Lyme in their facebook name. Send me a PM Jennie so we can FB.
Posts: 31 | From Southwestern Ohio | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie, I too would be interested in FB lyme friends. Tracy I am sending you a friend request. Jennie would be happy to PM or FB you as I need to know sooooooooo much more about this disease.

Phyl

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy - I found you on FB and sent you a request too!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK update; I was being stalked by former members here on lymenet that were banned, so I had to make a new FB profile just for Lyme Friends and keep my Tracy will profile private, just for friends and family that I know really well. They were copying my pictures, contacting my family, etc. NIGHTMARE!!!

So please send friend requests to Lyme Wreckage, then you will see a gazillion other Lymies you can send friend requests to on my friends list, Lyme pages to "like", etc. That is my lyme page.

Thanks!!

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pm'ing you -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be perfectly honest I have found very little support/information/advice/discussions on the dozen Lyme related FB pages I belong to.

I am able to gather far more information from this website which I consider to be the best for forums.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Remember that it's important to set security measures. If a current (or prospective employer) can see your Facebook page, that could have very real consequences.

Many "friends" are really strangers whose faces we never even see - that's important to remember. People are not always who they say they are. Don't "friend" someone right away - see how they behave on the sites you frequent first - just as you would in real life. But the web can be such a masking opportunity for stalkers, etc.

Same for your insurance company and for Social Security or for any other private disability insurers.

There was one woman with a disability (not lyme) who went on vacation and posted a photo of her smiling with a glass of beer. Her disability was revoked.

Keep in mind:
-------------------

http://www.ohioemployerlawblog.com/2009/11/insurance-company-pulls-disability.html

Insurance company pulls disability benefits over Facebook photo

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/canadian_woman_loses_benefits.html

Canadian woman loses benefits over Facebook photo

November 23, 2009

Excerpts:

. . . her insurance agent described several pictures [she] posted on Facebook, including ones showing her having a good time . . . .

. . . "The issue for me is that they stopped her disability benefits without the proper medical recommendations. Her doctor recommended she go on vacation," he said. . . .

. . . the issue raises concerns for anyone who expects their private life to remain so if they post personal information to social networking sites such as Facebook.

"It's good warning for people who use Facebook. It's not like being at home and writing in your diary. It's out there for the whole world to see," he said. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Life insurance has been revoked for some who have lyme (it was for me). This is also a huge concern if a life insurance company can see your social network pages.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Life insurance companies can see your pharmacy records. That's enough for them. I am uninsurable because of that.

I have all my settings very private on my personal page. On my Lymewreckage page, not as private, and I do accept people I don't know because I dont' have identifying information.

One of the things many of us have been doing on FB in the Lyme Community is making two separate profiles so we can befriend all the other Lymies, without disclosing our personal information, yet still have a personal page to connect with family, friends, old high school and college buddies, etc.

It has worked out pretty well for those of us who have done it. Also saves the family and friends from having to hear about our illnesses non stop.

So on my Lyme Wreckage page, you'll hear all about my medical stuff, but you won't see pictures of my family (there may be a couple now, one from Christmas maybe, but for a long while none), you won't see names of any of my relatives, or any info about me, or even my real name (though I don't hide it, but it's not listed.)

The separation has worked well.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement