LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Encouraging News ..... Since Rifampin!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Encouraging News ..... Since Rifampin!
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 7 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! I haven't been to the forum in quite some time.

Once I got over a week's herx from Rifampin, I had a remarkable improvement!

I have been almost completely back to my normal self ever since! I just went back to Dr. K today

and he told me to stop Rifampin since I am doing so good and also I do think it made me a bit depressed.

I had just started my second 3-weeks pulse with it (Rifampin) this Sunday and have felt depressed ever since.

I am pretty sure that I felt depressed on it the last pulse as well but once the herx ended, I felt great!

I truly think the Rifampin was the "cure" drug for me. Dr. K. wants me to just pulse my Dorxy

and Ceftin for 3 weeks (no more Rifampin) and then the Tindamax for 3 weeks.

After that, I will go back to him .... well, actually in about 8 weeks.

Anyway, he says if I am still feeling as good as I have been, then he might be able to "release me"!

You know what that means??? It might just mean that I beat Lyme!!!

I am scared to get too excited but I'm sure hopeful!

The ONLY symptoms that I have still had for the past 4 weeks or so is a bit of twitching still but it is nothing like it was.

It is mostly in bed at night though I do get a few now and then while sitting at my desk.

He thinks that maybe that is Magnesium deficiency and told me to start taking a Magnesium supplement.

If that works for the twitching then I might be cured from Lyme!!?

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

IgG � Igenex Positive; CDC/NYS Negative with 31+; 39 (IND); 41++; 58+

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Kim, you were smart to catch it so early!
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Congrats. Keep a watchful eye tho. I loved Rifampin too it got me 90% Then went off and a year later I needing to go back on it. I hope it does the same thing again.

Stay well.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! [Smile]

Would you mind telling us how long after you started Rifampin until the herx hit (was it right away, a few days in, etc)?

And also, what symptoms did you get during the herx?

I think this would help some people to know if their Rifampin is "doing something" or not. Thanks!

And CONGRATSSSS!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sorry...one more question. Aside from what symptoms made up your herx, I'm also wondering what symptoms the Rifampin "cured"? (brain fog, fatigue, etc etc)
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am more than happy to share what I know. I was on Rifampin for a full week before I felt anything!

After that first week, the herx hit me! I felt really bad for another full week! I had an increase

in all of my symptoms .... aches, pains, muscle twitches, speech problems, weakness, fatigue.

After the herx ended, I have felt back to my pre-Lyme self except for a bit of muscle twitching

still which is mostly in bed at night. I am having more twitching right now tonight though but

I did take 3 days of the Rifampin before Dr. K. told me to stop today because of the depression.

Maybe I am being too optimistic and maybe the twitching is still really Lyme or Bart and not just

a Magnesium deficiency. I'm starting to get more paranoid as the night goes on and I feel the

twitches again. [Frown] So much for being hopeful for a few hours. Can anyone tell me what they think?

Could I be "cured" and the twitches just be Magnesium deficiency ... or am I still "sick"?

*sigh*
Kim

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

IgM � Igenex Positive & CDC/NYS Positive with 18+ ; 23-25+; 31+; 34+; 41+; 66+; 83-93 (IND)

Posts: 339 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course this goes against what your doc told you -- but in my opinion pulsing rifampin is not a good idea and you were not on it nearly long enough.

If you have bart symptoms will start coming back within 2 or 3 days or definitely within a week. And in hubby's case each time he had to stop it made it harder and harder to get back to baseline. I honestly think some strains of bart do develop med resistance. That is why I think you need to be on at least 2 supposed bart meds at any one time and keep rotating off of one and adding in a new one.

But I think the total treatment needs to be a minimum of 4 -6 months with no breaks.

This is not medical advice, just my personal opinion based on hubby;s experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TN Kim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea, I have felt great from the time I herxed with Rifampin up until now which has been 6 weeks.

My only remaining symptoms have been some mild muscle twitching. I was supposed to re-start Rifampin but stopped because it has caused

notable depression for me. I am already on life-long anti-depressants so I can't afford to take

a drug that causes depression. Also, I was taking Doryx and Ceftin along WITH the Rifampin!

Now, I will just take the Doryx and Ceftin only for 3 weeks then switch to 3 weeks of only Tindimax.

Same routine as I did last time, just no Rifampin this round.

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that would be wonderful if you could get off meds soon!!

CELEBRATE!! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that Doryx or Ceftin are particularly Bart meds, however. And I agree with Bea. Be careful about stopping treatmet too soon. sorry to be a "downer."
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muscle twitching in my legs is my most predominant symptom. When I am on Biaxin or zith it is almost gone. It comes back quickly if I stop or switch to something else, so I think mine is probably a coinfection but not magnesium deficiency.

Also, if you are herxing on Rifampin still, with depression and/or muscle twitching, wouldn't that mean you still have something?

My symptoms are so mild that one of my LLMD's thought I should be done with abx. Instead, I found a new one who is treating me more aggressively. I do not want to have even mild symptoms, since I have seen what can happen if they progress.

Sorry to be another downer.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Well, I guess that is my thought now too since I am having more muscle twitching again ... just after taking only 2.5 days of Rifampin.

Now I am wondering if I SHOULD start the Rifampin again and not stop it just because of the depression?

It helped me SO much as far as the energy level, pain and aching going away and just generally feeling well again!

Dang, I don't know WHAT to do now. LLMD says stop the Rifampin because of depression but honestly, the Doryx and Ceftin didn't make the

difference in symptom improvement that the Rifampin did and I REALLY don't want to test another new abx.

I am SO FRUSTRATED now!!!

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you possibly get your doctor who prescribes your anti depressant to either up your dosage or add other drug the mix so that you could take the Rifampin and try to control your depression symptoms?

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd stay on the Rifampin and add an antidepressant.

Rifampin has been a miracle drug for me as well. I've been on it for six months. I'm thinking of asking my LLD about switching to IV form for maximum benefit. I've been sick for many years and I think I have plateaued on it.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOO HOOO! This is the best news! So happy for you.
Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kim. I'm happy you are doing so well. It's obvious from your FB page!! Way to go, girl! I know exactly how you feel. Wondering if the lingering symptoms mean you still have it or is it just a result of the illness. I'm going through the same confusion.

Keep moving, ride that horse of yours! Don't allow the worry to obsessivly overtake your recovery. Accept it, feel it, receive it. One step at a time....you will make it!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Well, I gave in and stayed ON the Rifampin. I am terribly depressed again and now here come the

body aches as well. So ... can we all say "HERXING again" together? [Frown]

So, I guess that means that I am NOT "cured" and that I am still sick with this illness.

I SOOO enjoyed the past 4 weeks of feeling normal again and now back to feeling like an

afflicted Lyme and Co. sufferer. Reality stinks!!!

I guess now is the question ... is this a herx for sure ... meaning that I am still sick or is

it MAYBE just a "sife effect" of the meds? I know ... wishful thinking here but it doesn't

hurt to ask does it?

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about to jump up and down for you (figuratively, of course) over your happy news. Then I read the last post.

I don't have any answers for your symptoms, but whatever it is I hope that it's remedied.

At the least you got a glimpse of what life will be like when you ARE cured of Lyme! Then we'll jump up and down.... [Smile]

Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TN Kim
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26729

Thank you, Misfit. I am more confused than ever now!

Now I am getting comments that it is dangerous to PULSE Rifampin. That my "flu-like" aches and

symptoms could actually be a dangerous side effect of stopping and starting Rifampin. *sigh*

How do I or anyone else KNOW for sure??? [Embarrassed] (

[ 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: TN Kim ]

--------------------
Bite 4/22/12
abx 5/03/12
neg. Lyme
pos. Cpn 5/17/12

Bite 5/22/10
abx 6/25/10

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement