LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Patient Advocacy -children with lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Patient Advocacy -children with lyme
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having difficult time figuring out how to proceed with insurance appeals for IV treatment, dressing changes, etc. I have regular insurance, prescription insurance and now I have income assessment from public health... I just reached out for help.

http://www.patientadvocate.org

I called them this morning. If you have children with lyme... they take every pediatrics case.

If you are an adult with lyme, it is out of their scope... they will take your information... but cannot help at this time.

**If they see a need (lots of requests) for advocacy for something they do not currently help with, they will seek grants for that area.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great!
Thanks,
Ann-OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Heather, GREAT information! Thanks!!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone else has contacted this organization - and if so, were they helpful?

thanks,
racer

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather

THAT's HOT!!! Thank you so much for posting this.

I was also thrilled to find a book in the library that has lots of patient advocate information, funding information...for lyme specifically.

Here is a thread I posted about it with quotes and sources from the book, for anybody who is interested.http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=027038;p=0

Take care, CI

PS any insurance co that dares to do the ultimate in order to support its bottom line...I would be inclined to:

A) PUBLICLY accuse them of conspiracy to commit murder, not mere negligence. Negligence is inadvertent, but this is an act of deliberate will. A whole other category.

B) APpeal to the media, ask them to give news coverage.

C) Write a letter to the editor with condemnations as above, send a copy of the printed newsletter clipping to the insurance company and let them know it is in print, with their name on it!! And your own signed to it.

Let them cough up the money as "apology" even if only to save their own hide!

D) Class action lawsuits are published by the media where private suits are not, said a political strategist to me. That makes a lot of sense. ANd they cost less. A pro bono attorney might just love the high profile publicity of such a case.

E) The book above talks about appealing on the State level, see link above, instrutions included. You can also appeal to your State Senator or Representative's office for a case worker to represent you.

Hold these murderers to it! Glare at them, in the sunshine of the open day! Don't take "no" for an answer!

And appeal to other sources for funding....when we run into a brick wall, the best thing to do is to walk around it, not bang our heads against it!

I suggest to participate in the Nullification movement of the Health *Insurance* (not "care") mandate. As the insurance co's are gaining political support, they are bound to become even more rogue than they already are. We can't let that happen. The ball has got to roll the other way.

Let's help!

Thank you all.

Phew, phew....mopping my brow...enough said already? Sorry folks.... have a great day and I am thinking of you all! ;-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a followup - I called Patient Advocate Foundation. After being accepted during initial intake for my child, after sending plan documents to the representative - she said that they should not have taken the case in the first place, since it is out of their scope (mostly cancer I think).

Also, she said that my plan language specifically excludes additional treatment (greater than 30 days IV) for lyme (I think)... I can still appeal she said, they they cannot help.

Disappointing...

racer

--------------------
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
racer - was this for yourself or a child?

My original post mentions that they do not take adult lyme cases. They take every child case. They were very helpful and diligent in the case of my son. They made phone calls, 3 way calls with infusion company, insurance company, etc.

If you have children with lyme and you need an advocate. This company is worth a try. They saved me a lot of legwork and pointed me in the right direction!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

More followup. They called back and offered to write a letter to insurance company for us. My question was for a child... I guess they will help but maybe in a different way for Lyme patients?

In any case, I would suggest that people call them to ask for help - maybe they will realize that we really need their support.

racer

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement