LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise: What can you do today? 12/13-12/19

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise: What can you do today? 12/13-12/19
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we focus on what we can do. Not what we have lost, but to focus on what we can accomplish in spite of feeling poorly. Remembering to move our bodies. Use it or lose it!

Let's have a good week.

What can you do today?

Karen [hi]

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping this is a good week for all of us. So far, I have put my coat over my PJ's and got in the power chair and taken Rosie across the street to toilet.

Resting now as that wore me out.

Still not dressed yet this am. But, did get a load of laundry into the washer via the power chair and into the dryer.

Resting now, then plannign on getting clothes out of dryer and getting dressed and hoping to get out of the house via PC. We shall see...getting close to down time for me.

[ 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: kam ]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Managed to get about 20 minutes of Tai Chi practice done. My legs were weak/shaky. Interesting.

KAM, hang in there!

Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Lymetoo
Member # 743
posted 13 December, 2010 05:53 PM

Walked my 40 laps, 10 min on the magic machine... a few weights .. then ate some tacos.. what a wonderful day! [lol]

--------------------
- oops!
Lymetutu
-( Guess what? I am not a doctor! )

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I walked to TJ's and back (about 10 min total of walking).

It hurts to walk but it was so nice out today (48 degrees in Boston in December!!) so I had to embrace the moment.

I tried Pilates over the weekend but so many of the moves hurt my hips, knees, and man, do they move fast (like lunging motions).. I was like, slow down! But I did it at my own pace as much as I could.. felt more in pain later in the night though, did I make the spirochetes mad??

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did errands...doc appt-check up(not lyme) took 2 hrs...then some shopping with a lot of walking

tomorrow i hope to walk on the boardwalk again...but i will have to do some more moving and putting away of stuff

the air in the new place is bad---gives me severe allergy-but the landlord agreed to have ducts cleaned

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another week already!

Me and Rocky a little over a mile.

Then into town for physical therapy which consisted of 'trigger point' therapy of my upper left side of my body.

It was very painful.

See you all later!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Just catching bits and pieces of what others posted.

Looking forward to hearing how the board walk walk goes.

Almost 1 pm here. Finally able to get out of PJ's and take shower and put on clean clothes.

While taking a shower, I thought about how much I use to enjoy my showers after being at the beach. Been missing the beach a lot lately.

Housekeeper/caregiver came this am. She emptied DW and put dirty dishes in and put away laundry.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

penguingirl, if it has been a while since you did any exercise, I would think the increase in pain could be from lactic acid buildup. If you don't get wiped out by hot baths, that is what I would do.

Aklnwlf, OUCH! Trigger point therapy does not sound fun. Hope that it was worth it and you get some help from it.

Kayak, I hope that once the air ducts are cleaned you won't have your symptoms anymore.

Today it was an amazing 43 degrees out! That is really warm for Maine. So I opened the doors and windows and aired the house out. While I was doing that, I swept the garage out of the standing water and grit as it is going to freeze tonight. Then I picked up lots of little wood pieces from our wood delivery so they don't get stuck in the snow blower propellers. I also filled in three holes that my son dug with his 4 wheeler while attempting to plow during the last storm. Felt good to get outside time. Tonight it is supposed to snow. [Frown]

Karen

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to go to physical therapy friday morning for first time. Have to start putting 'partial' weight on my foot.

IN anticipation of my Dec. 27 appointment to get the tinker toy rods taken out of my foot.

Then I get what they call a 'cam' boot,,,or is that a Kam boot.

can now take showers since the long deep incisions are all healed over.

I am sure pt will be hard,,,even walking 100 feet with the walker is a chore.

course too much body weght doesnt help,,but I did lose a couple more pounds from last report,,,about 30 pounds since the accident.

bound and determined to shape up,excercise and not let that winter weight creep back on.

Am living with a different daughter now than before. She needs excersise worse than me.

I want to have her show me her apartment complex excersise room and machines she has access to,,,,maybe we can both start slow

If she gets stiff and sore she gives up too easy. says her body cant exercise cause it hurts.

BTW- small victory here,,,applied for and got health insurance,,,too late for this trainwreck but will have it for the next.

Now just have to find a way to PAY for it. I am so in debt from this foot/leg break I HAVE to get a good job ASAP!!!

any suggestions welcomed, insurance preferred.

be well--just don--aka---tinker toy boy

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey don!! Good to hear from you!! Hope you continue to improve and can get that daughter to exercise too! Do you think she has Lyme also??

Keep us posted on your progress and congrats on the insurance!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me and Rocky a little over a mile.

Don, looks like I'll be in a similar boat with you.

Went to the ortho doc today and found out I need another shoulder surgery (it'll be my third). This time either they'll completely severe my biceps tendon or hopefully will be able to attact it to bone.

I'll keep you all posted. And JD good luck with your recovery and pt.

Also I went to a job fair this year JD. Google AARP. They had alot of great info on getting a job for those of us that are no longer spring chickens.

Check it out.

See you all later!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Tinker Toy Boy...good to hear from you.

I can relate to your daughter being in more pain when trying to move the body. It is tricky finding what works and for how long and when.

AKW...can't you just shoot the messenger instead?? Sorry to hear you need more surgery..but sure hope it is worth it in the long run.

Don..glad you can take showers now.

Would like to see a pic of you with the walker.

Hoping you have more access to the internet now.

The 27th will be here soon.

Glad you have insurance now.

A cam (KAM) boot...that sounds interesting. Hoping to see pics of that too.

Not able to sleep tonight. Just took a couple of excedrin. Hoping that will help.

Had a nice surprise when I went to pick up sleeping meds at pharmacy. PC finally refilled biaxin.

I was going down hill without abx. Also sent email to local church that goes on Mission Trips to Mexico to see about getting some amoxy.

Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

And got some other things (supplements) from a friend so hoping that health will start to pick up again soon and I will be out on the forest trail again.

kam
Member # 3410

Karen..you out door time sounded very successful.

Temp is dropping down to the 60's here and then 50's. Possible rain Thursday...I hope.

Mid 70's temp was very confusing....blizzard like weather once again. HA!

So many smokers here at the apartments. They were all out enjoying the great temps while they took their smoking breaks.

Rosie has been very restless. I have been getting her out in the power chair ...on leash time.

But, it is just not the same for her as the off leash time. Looking forward to seeing her do her happy dance once we are on the trail again and she is off leash.

kam
Member # 3410

Able to cruise on over to the post office via the upright power chair. Good to be out but that did me in. Might get rain tomorrow.
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
send the 70s over

ranges from below zero at nite to 10-20 daytime

most of the time with biting winds,,,nobody knows of plains winds till you feel them day after day

had significant snow like 3 times,first couple melted,,,not the last

wasnt deep snow but it all came sideways on 50mph winds.

still see grass leaves thru top of places but others the snow is drifted deep

this apartment complex doesnt scoop much,never cleans handicapped ramps or parking

getting a wheel chair thru 8" of snow is challenging

they also let cars park in front of curb ramps so they cant work,

if they used a chair for a month there attitude would be oh s o different

got approved for a free bone stimulator($5200 value)

any one had ANY experiences with those?? Seems VERY controversial,, reading on net.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Yep. The world has a lot more obstacles it seems when you are wheel chair bound.

Considered getting a snow shovel at one point and just sitting in the power chair and shoveling my way out...but arms are too weak to do this.

Thankfully, we don't get that much snow here. The one year snow did stop everything in its tracks for a couple of days, i was able to be on my feet long enough to get Rosie out to toilet thankfully.

Haven't heard anything about the bone thing you are talking about. No info there for you.

Able to drive out to the trail head but not strong enough to walk. So, let Rosie trot as I drove along on the dirt road.

Kind of iffy for me to be out but also good to be out...just took it slow and easy and stayed on the back roads..really weak lately..more so than normal.

Passed the mail lady who does her lap in that area too. Nice way to end the day I would think.

1st day back on biaxin so hoping things improve in a few days. Still need amoxy.

Lots of cars out there tonight. Must be a group out on the trail.

I heard Phoenix had record breaking highs for this time of the year which most likely means we did too.

But, it is cooling down now...still pleasant out...feece and jean weather. But, things can change quickly.

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Wednesday-Me and Rocky a little over a mile again in some sleet.

Then stayed home and did a little sewing for a Christmas project and made a batch of turkey spaghetti.

Left arm is hurting quite a bit from the doc yesterday putting it through some range of motions.

Got some burning in that torn tendon and my bad elbow is acting up now.

I know they're all connected and could just be the biceps tendon causing a whole lot of pain.

Ugh! Might have to take more pain pills than usual.

How you doing JD? Haven't heard of the bone stimulator. I google alot too to get info. Googling lately to get info on my upcoming surgery. Take care.

Kam, LOL, shoot the messenger. I wish! But then I'd be shooting the doc that did 3 of my left arm surgeries. Come to think of it, maybe I should shoot him! LOL!

Thanks for cheering me up with that comment.

Trying to maintain some level of calm. Between my crazy neighbor and now another upcoming surgery....what's a girl too do?

You all take care and will see you later!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well-i never got the walk in...yesterday or today. yesterday was more errands and a chuch group meeting...good for me to get out and socialize a little.

today just moving and cleaning...seems it will never end. tomorrow i have to get up early and move all furniture and clutter away from the heat ducts so they can get clean. what a difference to have a landlord who actually does something helpful.

my son who was laid off 2 weeks ago got hired today...lower pay , but still a blessing.

i think the old landlord is gonna get mad at me. i paid til jan 4 but they want me out and i am down to two rooms but my kids come this weekend and i don;t even have the tree trimmed yet...and i just want to stop the moving thing nd see them...i just don't see them that much.

anyway...gues i shoudl get to bed. i think i missed what happened to justdon...sounds bad.

glad its warming up in maine...

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gang!! Good to see everyone here. Glad you could stop by for a visit...haha! [Big Grin]

Kayak.. hope you can get what you need to get done.. and enjoy the kids too. Glad your son got a job! Yea!

AK.. take care.. sorry to hear that you are in pain... I hate pain!

don.. Glad things are getting better.. go stimulate that bone. Hope it doesn't cost 14 trillion dollars!! (oh.. only $5,200) If you bought it from the government, it would be WAY more! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Too exhausted to read what others wrote but I will be back. [Smile]

Slept through the night last night on the couch. Hurray! Makes such a difference.

Able to got to grocery store this am and get more than usual. Learning that having the clerk put the groceries on the counter and having someone take them out for me is the way to go.

Got lucky and got the electric cart that is easier for me to drive this am too.

Drove on the dirt Rooad this am while Rosie ran in front of me so she got her exercise. Just drizzling out.

But, the sound of the wipers and the defrost fan was too much for me. Glad it was a short outing.

Resting now then hoping to eat breakfast and take meds and supplements.

Don't know if I mentioned it but an organization is sending me a used TTY to see if that helps with my phone skills.

I sure hope so. I know i will need to keep things short. I also know I will need to find someway to lay down while using it.

I don't know if I will need a different phone. Many moons ago when I used a TTY while working with the deaf, we put the receiver on the TTY in order to transmit the messages.

Person who is sending the TTY doesn't know anything about them so he wasn't sure.

Might need to get an old type of phone that has the old type of receiver to get it to work.

Felt like crying several times while out due to exhaustion and how the body and brain feel.

But, know I am improving and this would not have been possible this time last year.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I forgot...

I walked 40 laps, did 12 minutes on the magic machine, and a few weights.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

just don
Member # 1129

went to the exercise room at the apartments with my daughter to 'look' around. Every machine needs 'TWO' good legs and feet to run.

My tinker toys interfere with all those and minimum weight bearing on one side.

Maybe in couple weeks.

off to PT at 7 am in morn,,,they will have some I bet.

--------------------
just don

kam
Member # 3410

JD...Just getting to the exercise room is a step in the right direction...or should I say hop?

TuTu..40 laps sounds like more than what I recall you doing but don't trust my recall. [Smile]

Glad you were able to move about and I know you enjoy being there too.

Still trying to recover from this mornings marathon. I keep turning up the heater as I can't seem to get warm inside..most likely from over doing it this am.

kayak..what a relief to hear about your son's employment

Saw this quote on FB today and thought of you:

Robin Jones Gunn

Day 2 of the 10,000 piece puzzle. Where does everything go? Somebody come help me!

then she had a picture of the boxes, etc on her kitchen counters. [Smile]

ALW...

The turkey spaghetti thing threw me for a bit then I wondered why I hadn't thought of that and plan on getting some ground turkey next time I am at the store...should have read your post before grocery shopping today

I like the idea of walking in the snow/sleet and rain but it depends on how well I am dressed for the elements and which way teh wind is blowing. [Smile]

How does Rocky like it? Rosie moves fast...I assume it is because she is having fun...if she doesn't like it she runs back to the car.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Rosie is obviously not stupid! [lol]

don.. good job on at least checking it out! That will be a goal to achieve!

kam.. 40 is my usual. 34 laps is a mile

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

no walk again today but i moved a lot of furniture and stuff so the guy could clean out the air ducs

thats gotta count for something

i immediately had an allergy attack-severe-when he started to clean the ducts. they were full of mold. i ended up taking 5resp meds and staying outside (20's) for 2 hrs

the aircleaner is going full blast in the bed room so i spent most of my time in there tonihgt

just sneaked out to the living room wher e i can get a signal

i'm glad it is over---i was afraid i would have to go to er---that hasn't happened to me in 10 yrs

is there a stomach bug going around? my daugher and her husband had it in CA and now a close friend has it here(NJ)

hope i don't get it while kids are here...hope nothing crazy happens to travelers...

take care everyone

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Kayak...hurray...the air ducks are cleaned out. Burr 2 hours in 20 degree temp. Yes, moving things out of the way is moving.

That is more difficult for me than walking due to the multi tasking and moving.

TuTu..thanks for clearing that up. ALW and you are my goals as far as being able to walk a mile a few times a week.

When we first started getting rain... I think it was during the monsoon season ...and I did not have a car...I would take Rosie out in the power chair to exercise and toilet her..

...She would walk a few feet and then shake all that water off and then walk a few feet more and again shake..it was kind of like a dance.

..When I turned around to head home she was like what they called a barn sour horse...couldn't get in from the rain fast enough.

..Later learned that I should not have been out in the rain with the power chair..water and electronics are not a good idea.

..I got lucky I guess.

we may or may not get snow here today. It was a gentle mist most of yesterday...ground was wet all day.

We need more wet...whether it is rain or snow is OK with me.

kam
Member # 3410

Able to get gas in the car this am and drive down a dirt road and see the beauty of this area.

Walking was out this am. But, hope to go back to dirt road and see just how far I can drive on a side trail.

Drove to a place where I needed to park and get out to see how much further I could go in the car.

So, hoping to go back when I can be on my feet and go around the bend and check it out. Been on this trail before on my feet. I think I drove as far as I could before it turns into a foot path.

Body in pain now but resting and hoping to move about some more. Took two am aspirin. Hope that helps.

Saw a cotton tail while out and a dozen Canadian Geese were in the field across the street this am. Cool.

Also got to see the big housed with lots of forest land around them this am. Not sure why that bring sme pleasure.

Traveled slower than usual on the dirt road as Rosie was trotting in front of car getting her exercise.

So, got to see the houses a bit more than usual. Either that or they cleared out some of the trees...brain wasn't doing well enough to figure it out.

Just noticed the large windows on many of the homes...floor to ceiling....two stories at least.

I appreciate that. Like it when they build the homes to be able to see out and appreciate the beauty around them.

It is a gated community. I was on the back side. Would like to cruise through the community some day.

Fencing on the backside is made to keep the Elk out of the community. Elk can just up and over but can't jump up and across...so the fencing is built leaning. HOping to take a pic next time.

Wasn't up to doing pics this time. I'd need a camera with a larger zoon lens to get a pic of the homes...lots of land between me and them so my camera would not really show how grand they are.

Also saw a newly built smaller home on one of my favorite roads in the country on the way back.

It was more my size and wouldn't mind living in it. Had a decking around the house. But it was on lower land so not so sure that is a good idea with a hill right up against it...site was not that great compared to other building sites in the area.

A few dirt road in that area I would like to go down but they are all posted no trespassing. Looks like a beautiful area too though with several homes down those dirt roads.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

no walk again...shopped some and packed up a few totes and brought a few in to new house and put stuff away and made gift baskets for each kid...

i' m exhausted and may need to tak a heavier duty pain pill than normal...i want to sleep well so i am ok with kids tomorrow...two will be flying most of the night...keep them in your prayers! thanks. scarey world.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Kayak..I have always liked the idea of gift baskets and making them with things that you know your kids like. Cool.

Hoping you get a good night's rest.

Able to walk into post office and check mail. Able to put dishes in DW and start it up.

Able to water potted plants.

I kept wanting to cry while out this evening and wasn't sure why.

I did that thing were Rosie runs in front of the car on the dirt road to get her exercise.

I am looking forward to when I will be able to be on the trail again.

But, realized I did do more today than normal...so might just be exhausted and I hungry.

Resting now then will get up to put turkey legs in oven and yam. Yum.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, kam.. you ARE doing more! And that depressed feeling is likely from the Biaxin. Known for it.

Hope it lifts soon!

Kayak.. praying for all the travelers.. esp your kids!

Got my angels up on Etsy today! Contact me if you want to see them!

Walked 40 laps and did 12 minutes on the machine, plus some weights.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kam
Member # 3410

Rough night with bad dreams. Most likely will have a forced down day and need to wait this out.

Still nothing like it use to be with this.

Kayak...your PM box is full.

kgg
Member # 5867

Yesterday was house cleaning and a trip to the big city to run errands. Today was about the same. So lots of activity and now I am down for the count.

Karen

kam
Member # 3410

Sounds good Karen. We made it through another week! [Smile]
kam
Member # 3410

Able to empty out the dishwasher while on my feet. Still need to put away silverware.

Able to take Rosie to dog park for a very short stay.

Resting now as I am drained...but better than yesterday morning.

kam
Member # 3410

Able to go to the Verde River (6 mile drive from here).

Discovered there are 4 picnic tables there. Sat at one for a very short time.

Not sure how long i was on my feet..est 10 if that. Incline on the way back to the car...shortness of breath.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement