LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Can lyme cause a miscarriage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can lyme cause a miscarriage?
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone here think?

I'm just curious as it looks like I am having miscarriage number 5. I'll be calling my doc tomorrow but I know that is the case.

I was 6 weeks, 2 days so it happened kinda fast this time as I didn't make it to the 9 week mark which is usually where it ends for me.

I was actually starting to get used to the idea of having another child. I only have the one and he is growing up so fast. Gone into 6th grade already! Man...time really does fly.

anyway, just curious as to what others think about lyme being the reason, at least partly, for miscarrying.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it definitely can cause miscarriage. Don't know at what stage you could get testing done, but it would be worthwhile after so many miscarriages.

There is a medical textbook about infectious diseases in newborns, with a lyme chapter of more than 80 pages, says miscarrages from lyme are documented. Unfortunately the publisher was got at and that chapter is missing from the most recent edition.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always heard that it can.

Very sorry to hear this, philly!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia causes it - it was on TV. I think this is already well known.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this. So many times---that's got to be pretty painful!

Yes, absolutely it can. In Under Our Skin, the lyme documentary, Elise, the woman who gives birth, had had numerous miscarriages due to Lyme. And she had an autopsy or pathology test done to confirm, and yes, it was from Lyme.

If you have Lyme, it's imperative that you be on treatment, if you plan to get get pregnant. Both to avoid another miscarriage, and to not pass it on to the baby. But, better yet, get treated first, assuming that you do have it. Even so, you would need to take antibiotics during pregnancy to protect the baby.

I see that you are newish here. You couldn't go to just any dr for this; you'd need a Lyme Literate dr. If you are looking for one, post under "Seeking a Doctor."

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. From what little info I had found, it appeared to me that lyme could most definitely play a role.

I'm off to the doc at 2:30 today to get blood drawn and see what they say.

I do have lyme rumigirl and have been on abx since April. I did stop the Bactrim when I found out I was pregnant but continued on with the Ceftin. I even called and got an appt with Dr. C in PA as I didn't trust my other doc all that much.

That appt is in September. At this point, all I can do is wait and see. Thanks again for the input everyone.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. I have had 3, possibly 4, miscarriages. I DO think they were from Lyme. I will never know for sure, but my heart tells me so. I had one successful pregnancy, my daughter is now 3 1/2. I give thanks for her every single day. She is a strong one, and I am blessed to have been able to have her. Again, I am deeply sorry, and sad for you and your family. I hope you get some answers.
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Figured I would update since I had my appt earlier today.

My doc isn't sure that what I am experiencing is actually a miscarriage and we're not sure where the bleeding is coming from.

I'm not sure what else it could be?? Sure feels like my previous miscarriages. But she says nope...no evidence of that just yet.

As of right now, we're taking a wait and see approach which kinda sucks. I hate not knowing.

Going in on Monday for an ultrasound and some blood work and just keeping an eye on things in the interim.

I don't even really know what I'm feeling right now. I was kinda bummed when I found out I was pregnant mostly because it just frightened me.

But then I was excited and thinking how nice it would be to have another child.

Last night, I was just depressed and most of this morning too b/c I was certain I was miscarrying.

Now? Now I just feel blah...like I just don't even know what to think or feel.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really rough, philly. Hope they find out soon what is wrong.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a miscarriage before my lyme symptoms were presenting.....but I think I had been bit way before that. I am always wondering if it was dormant lyme that caused it.....I miscarried just after two weeks of pregnancy.

Sorry you are going through this.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 12-05-2011, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 12-05-2011, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: OptiMisTick ]

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement