LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Do you think you can wash a down comforter with ammonia? ( want to be sure no mold).

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you think you can wash a down comforter with ammonia? ( want to be sure no mold).
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of humane reasons, I don't want to purchase another down comforter. If possible, I would still like to use this one.

I don't think we have a major issue in the house, but we are taking A LOT of steps to be sure.

I want to wash all of our bedding in ammonia so we can reuse. Do you think it would be okay to wash the down comforter?

Thanks.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive washed and dried a down comforter, and used clorox. Once it dries (which takes a long time) it turned out great.
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Support

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lyme patients often have too much ammonia in their bodies and the liver seems impaired in getting it out.

Please do NOT use ammonia. It is very toxic, even in small amounts. And the steam from the washer (and ammonia laced humidity from the dryer) can be toxic to you, your eyes, nasal passages, lungs - and nerve cells.

It's best to not even have a bottle of ammonia in the house - as the fumes can escape plastic. It can be adding to overall toxicity, even if you don't notice it.

Ammonia does not dissipate easily. But, then, neither does chlorine bleach - that can live on for months in fabric. I found that out the hard way with some cotton curtains someone gave me.

I used about 1/2 cup of bleach(way too much but I was trying to lighten the fabric). I could still smell it 4 months later. I rinsed them, washed them over in soap and nothing could wash away the chlorine smell that clobbered me over and over.

I would steer clear of chlorine, too, as that is very toxic to nerve cells and irritation to your respiratory system. The humidity and agitation of the machines make that worse.

If you do use bleach, maybe just one teaspoon per load. And you might rinse two or three times. Ventilate the laundry room BEFORE you open the bottle and all during the wash and dry cycles.

CITRUS BASED soaps can kill mold, and germs. So can dryer heat. Maybe add two drops of a lemon essential oil to the wash water (but not to the dryer).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://chemistry.about.com/od/healthsafety/a/dangerous-household-chemicals.htm

Dangerous Household Chemicals

Twelve Common Household Chemicals That May Be Dangerous - by Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Excerpt:

ammonia - Ammonia is a volatile compound that can irritate the respiratory system and mucous membranes if inhaled, can cause a chemical burn if it is spilled on skin, and

will react with chlorinated products (e.g., bleach) to produce deadly chloramine gas. . . .

- 11 others detailed at link above.

================================

http://www.livestrong.com/article/135731-ammonia-levels-liver-disease/

Ammonia in Liver Disease

The liver plays a vital role in most metabolic processes. One of these processes is the detoxification of ammonia in the blood. Ammonia is a by-product of normal protein metabolism and is also created by bacteria in the intestines.

When the liver is damaged,

[Keebler's interjection: and lyme often damages, or at least strongly stresses the liver]

the detoxification process is disturbed and ammonia levels rise. High levels of blood ammonia can cause problems in a number of organs, most notably the brain. . . .

- full article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wash with a cup of white vinegar, that will kill the mold and remove odor. I add a half cup to every load of laundry I do.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I just took a look at this thread again and, I swear the headline read:

"Do you think you can wash down a comforter with ammonia?"

To my brain came this picture: a tired guy perched on a bar stool, cozied up with a marshmallow white comforter and tall pint of icy beer. Really, right there on my mind's theater screen.

Oy, Vey! It's late here but not yet midnight.
-

glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, Every time I see this post it reads to me

"Do you think you can wash down a comforter with ammonia" [lol]

My dyslexia must still be in full function mode.

Good luck with your comforter!

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borax is much better.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
karen - cudos. "20-mule team" borax power to the rescue. Now I remember those old commercials.
-

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler! I had to laugh when you said.. "I just took a look at this thread again and, I swear the headline read: "Do you think you can wash down a comforter with ammonia?"

I've read the same title every day, maybe a couple of times a day, and that is exactly how I keep reading it! I have to keep going back and slowly reading it to get it right!

In fact, I came here JUST to share that same thought! Not once have I read it right the first time!

And like you, some poor guy sitting on a bar stool trying to wash down a comforter with a cup of ammonia is what kept coming to my mind too!

Glad YOU said it first! Now I don't feel so __________ (fill in the blank).

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What proof is there that borax kills mold or neutralizes mycotoxins?

I know using ammonia is controversial here and I have read the arguments against it.

I have to say from experience, I have used borax, 100% boric acid, 35% food grade H2O2, vinegar, orange guard and ammonia on moldy clothing and other items contaminated with mold. Ammonia is the only one that definitely stops my reaction to mold.

I am hypersensitive to mold and IMO borax just doesn't do the job.

This study and most of the studies out there are on decontaminating grain with ammonia. The studies say, ammonia works on mold and mycotoxins.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/T1838E/T1838E0c.htm

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're worried about the after-effects or lingering issues with using ammonia to wash the comforter, why not just run it through an extra rinse cycle after washing with the ammonia?

Then you could try and wash it again with Charlie's Soap laundry detergent. Charlie's Soap does an excellent job of removing lingering odors and traces of things in clothes.

Charlie's Soap works great for me on removing that lingering Clorox odor when I wash cleaning rags.

I wash the cleaning rags in hottest water with normal detergent and Clorox, put it through an extra rinse, and then wash it again with Charlie's Soap and Voila! I do it this way because I don't believe Charlie's Soap will disinfect things -- it's just a super detergent for removing residues and odors.

Charlie's Soap is non-toxic, scent-free, safe for all fabrics, biodegradable and great for removing allergic and potentially toxic traces from laundered items.

http://www.charliesoap.com/

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement