LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » A great chocolate bar with no sugar and no artificiall sweeteners!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A great chocolate bar with no sugar and no artificiall sweeteners!
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I died and went to heaven. I finally found a chocolate bar with no poison in it!! At my local health food store they had a box of these bars at the checkout. I thought, oh great, a piece of candy for $3.19. I looked at the ingredients and saw it had no artificial sweeteners. The best thing is it's only 4 Weight watcher points!

It's safe for Lymies, with protein and fiber. Have I forgotten to say, it's delicious? Yes....it's good!!

http://www.chocoperfection.com/

I had to share this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, I've forced myself to keep walking when I'm in the candy aisle at the grocery store, but chocolate keeps calling my name.

Can't wait to try these. I want the dark almond and dark raspberry.

Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm telling you, they taste great! Well worth the money, in my book.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still has a sweetener in it, though not artificial. For me, I would still react. I can't even use stevia now.

Sounds delicious!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks for this link. I've been looking for something like this.

The Erythritol is similar to xylitol, each a sugar "alcohol" in terms of not affecting blood sugar or promoting bacterial growth & tooth decay like regular sugar.

This also helps with portion control because too much will result in GI distress.

I've not tried this brand, but with a very good quality dark chocolate, it's really amazing how far a normal sized serving can go and be very satisfying.

I do wish it did not contain "natural flavors" even if they say, in this case it's not MSG. "Natural Flavors" are really not ALWAYS natural at all, often a chemical process where a solution is put into vinyl pans and baked.

I would want to know more about what's in their "natural flavors" and how they are manufactured before I would try this - but we sort of have to do this kind of investigation with anything in a package anymore.

------------------------

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/erythritol.htm

What is Erythritol ?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Yes, the sweeteners come from plant fiber. It tastes very fresh, plus it has fiber in it. Thanks for the link to erythritol..

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As mentioned at the chocolate website, their "natural flavors" are not MSG. But, often, MSG can slip in under this mask - it has many names - so it's always good to learn more.

Since I deal with a seizure disorder, I do have to avoid "natural flavors" due to their (typically) NMDA excitatory effect - unless they really are something natural, not chemically processed.

I still intend to call to learn more about what theirs includes.

It can vary from product to product and while some might be really "natural" - that is not always the case.

They are used to "knock our socks off" - to "create a memorable flavor that keeps us wanting more" . . . .

"Natural flavors" are even added to some herb teas, almond milk, lip balm, etc.

Learn more about "natural flavors" - the unnatural processing they go through - and just some of the possible links to ill effects are discussed here:
-------------

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7389748n&tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea.9

60 Minutes - November 27, 2011

TWEAKING TASTES & CREATING CRAVINGS

View Video - 14 minutes

-----------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Excitotoxins-Taste-Russell-L-Blaylock/dp/0929173252

EXCITOTOXINS: The Taste That Kills [$12. at Amazon]

- by Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. (neurosurgeon)

You can look inside the book and read over 80 reader review at the link above.

Author's website: http://www.russellblaylockmd.com/

======================

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Russell+Blaylock&oq=Russell+Blaylock&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=607l8136l0l9048l34l33l7l11l6l0l299l2891l0.8.7l15l0

YouTube video search: Russell Blaylock
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yippee. Just talked with a person at ChocoPerfection and here's the good news:

The "Natural Flavors" that are listed on one of the web pages -- no longer relevant.

They never used to be chemically derived flavors, anyway (for them). It was either cinnamon or nutmeg - and used only during months of humid weather to better ensure the smoothness of the bar.

Well, they stopped using those so there would be less confusion. The bars seem to hold up now in all weather (of course, summer time is still tricky to ship ANY chocolate so just a bit of thought with ordering early in the week helps).

The ingredient list on other pages where you actually order does not include "natural flavors" -- their web designer just did not go back to delete that from the link on their main web page.

I feel much better now.

-----------------------------

By the way, I did the same kind of questioning for SweetLeaf Stevia Clear.

They also use "natural flavors" but explained that it's a tiny amount of herbs for freshness but that the combination may change for time to time so they could not list them specifically.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
One question I forgot to ask about another ingredient they use - Butter Oil.

Just called and learned a few things.

If this had been butter or ghee, it would not be lactose free, so with butter oil, it is. They assure me that this is from butter, not other oils and no synthetics are added.

This is added in Canada where the bars are made. Unfortunately, she could not say it is from all grass fed cattle but she assured me no synthetics.

I would like to actually know more about the source but the fact that this is from Canada makes me feel a bit better than if it were from the U.S. as my impression is that Canada is more careful about food.

I'm sure I could find out just how happy the cows are and if they get to play badminton while romping on sunny pastures - but I'm just too tired to continue with that.

Since this is the first I've heard of butter oil, I did just a little poking around the web.

Two, rather conflicting, links below just illustrate the importance of finding out directly from the manufacturer the processing methods and sources used.

----------------------

http://www.blogher.com/butter-oil-what-it

What is ``Butter Oil''?

. . . The oil is produced by adding a synthetic blend of naturally identical flavoring substances. . . .

------------------

http://livesuperfoods.com/x-factor-high-vitamin-butter-oil.html

X-Factor Butter Oil.
-

[ 01-27-2012, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Wow, I created an investigation! How cool is that. I just went to the Health food store and bought 4 flavors. The rasberry dark chocolate is 7 WW points!! Well, that's okay. I gave some to my grandson after school and he didn't know the difference!

I think I'm getting a case of this stuff.....I'm not going crazy on a binge with it, but it really has a fresh taste.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like chocolate made with xylitol. Of course you can't eat too much at once. If I overdo xylitol my tummy hurts. But they make bags of small candy bars in several flavors, and sometimes just a small 2 or 3 bite bar is enough to quell the cravings.

I made some snow cone syrup once using the xylitol for sugar and eating a large cup of snowcone was giving all of us sort of tummyache.

It does taste like sugar though and very good for your teeth as well.

http://store.xylitolusa.com/categories/Xylitol-Chocolate/

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement