LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » art therapy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: art therapy
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now and then I need a break from illness. I found one! I stumbled upon the site www.colourlovers.com. I am having a ball with it! It lets you create your own color palettes and designs, shows you current trends, shows web site colors, etc.

Art therapy has always been a key to my survival these past 20 years of illness. I designed my own papers (with an old, very outdated computer program) and made cards on my headboard because I spent my life in bed. My cards were and are a big hit with my friends.

Now my kids have put together an art room for me. I do projects with my grandchildren and putter in it myself when I have some energy.

Playing with colors and designs is very therapeutic. This site makes it very easy to do. I plan to use it in lots of ways...maybe even print designs on fabric.

The site lets you set up groups of people with common interests. I am thinking of setting up a Lymie group so that we can all express ourselves, design lyme awareness logos, make our web pages more creative, etc.

I have always been very artistic...painting, sewing, scrapbooking, etc. It makes me happy to create something...even the simplest thing. My lousy memory limits my ability to follow complex directions...hence my lack of a website. And I have to work in short spurts.

But this site inspires me to try. Meanwhile I just play around with it.

I would love to hear what you think. And, no, I have absolutely no connection with it. I can't even remember how I found it! [Smile]

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, Farraday - I love art too. One thing I have done through these years is make art with my room - literally turn it into a depiction of the seasons as they evolve,

with pictures, colors, things from the season. It's my way of traveling, of feeling a part of the larger world with its seasonal changes.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that idea! Maybe I will print large photos from different seasons and put them up. I also grow plants to give ahealing, green look to my room. We use essential oil burner, candles and family photos.

I used to make quilts and am thinking of using my new color site to help me choose colors for a new one. If only my energy and brain cooperate!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farraday that is really cool but the link doesn't work [Frown]

The "ARTS" really did help me get through treatment though my art was a different form. I dragged myself to small live concerts.

Live music was really a good element for me, to help distract me from my reality.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found the site! That is a really cool resource for colors. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I camped out in an apartment for about five years when I first diagnosed myself and was in bad shape, not able to make plans for better housing.

So, in the absence of much furniture, I decorated the walls with big pieces of paper art. Intended to see how it looked and then make it in fabric, but no sewing machine, so it stayed paper art. One that I really liked was a broad band than ran around two adjoining walls, mostly blue with swan cutouts in white, then one section with gold. Like almost two feet wide.

Had a floor to ceiling tree in bedroom, also made of pieces of paper, one side with summer leaves and the other half of fall leaves. Made with pattern of real leaves.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poppy - Do you still make art where you live? I've done similarly - it's fun to really do it with the room - [Smile]

My first one started with flower wraps that I put up on a new wall, like a collage, and then I just spread out from there.

I did a Roman villa room once, anchored with some larger pics from the poster store.

I did a winter room once, all in white - drawings and cut-outs on white drawings on white walls - very subtle effect - people would walk in and not realize at first that there was art up on all the walls!

I call them my room seasons. Spring is pretty right now - mostly calendar pictures. It's the easiest way to go, and just add colors, knickknacks, etc.

And go with your color feeling for the season - it changes for me every year - like I've had dark winter rooms, light winter rooms, mixed light/dark, etc, and the same for every season - what feels right to live in -

It's a very good mood picker-upper, to look at art anywhere in the room -

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, had to stop for several years due to upheavals in housing situation.

Want to start doing some fabric wall hangings soon.

Your rooms sound very intriguing.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement