LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme is starting to mean, "Don't do This and That"!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme is starting to mean, "Don't do This and That"!
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Icon 11 posted      Profile for fred0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for ventilating here but honestly the more I try to study and be a 'self learner' regarding Lyme disease the more depressed and frustrated I've become.

I read a lot of what I CAN'T DO and CAN'T EAT but what I CAN DO and WHAT I CAN EAT (excl. veggies) are a mystery to me since there are so many contradicting opinions. [confused]

The 2 biggest frustrations....

1. Diet. I've roughly tried that Alkaline balanced Diet (meats bad except occasionally).

I don't feel good.

I'm losing too much weight too fast.

I'm already thin but my pants are practically falling off after 2 weeks on this diet and I'm always hungry after/in between meals.

I'm pretty sure this is the diet route my LLMD probably prefers.

So, don't know what to do: Dr. B's protocol, 'The Lyme Diet', Vegan , Alkaline Balance, fruits good or bad, etc., etc. [confused]

Each protocol seems to have it's researched evidence etc., which for a Newbie is overwhelming!!! [dizzy]

Number 2.

I just read that Aerobic excercise in NOT GOOD for you.

That was a big blow to me since the outdoors and Aerobic excercise is the only thing I've enjoyed lately.

I just rode my bike 25 k's yesterday.

I suspect I've had untreated Lyme for 30 years now.

I still haven't started any treatment.

For the last couple of weeks I've been running about 4 k's, 3-4 times a week.

I thought I was strenghing my body prior to going under Abx treatment.

It was also my way of not letting Lyme rob me of everything.

I just can't seem to find the balance in all of this.

Posts: 128 | From California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lord you sound so healthy,,,I bet they always say you look it to....

What kind of symptom's are you having?

I've read a few of your post and know you are feeling lonely and frustrated.

Somebody mentioned the Tick Slayer book, about somebody with a strong body/immune???

There's another book recently written by an athletic person.....

This can all be so confusing and many will follow with suggestions...

I hope your journey with this illness is short.
Take care ..other's will follow, Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fred0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi nonna05- Thanks,

Some of my symptoms through the years....

Ebtein Barr, very uncomfortable eyelid tension and freaky spasming of the upper and lower eyelids, orange coloration of upper eyelids...

generalized anxiety like symptoms, cold and clammy hands and feet..

winter depression, irratable bowel syndrome, cracking bones in neck and shoulders (started 2 years ago after a Chiro visit)...

Tinitus, Hyperacusis, recent swollen tongue, brain fog, problems finding words at times, slight tendenitis in the knees...

When I do sports though I feel relatively strong.

In fact sometimes I feel better doing sports than my daily routine activities.

I wonder how much a strong/er body plays with Bb?

Most of my symptoms look more neuro/psych..

Besides some knees problems that I've always overcome I've never had any debilitating joint or muscle pain( Thank God).

Posts: 128 | From California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not able to read your post today but really liked the title.

It would be a great title for a blog.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Talk to YOUR LLMD about YOUR treatment path. It will be designed specifically for YOUR body.

The caution against aerobic exercise, is that, WITH INFECTION:

* the heart can be damaged with aerobics, as can

* the entire endocrine (adrenal) system if there is a rebound exhaustion after exertion.

* the liver also take a hit with exercise that involves toxicty. The liver can only process so much at a time. Hard exercise can overload the liver.

* those with mitochondria problems can be more affected by aerobics.

If you can do all that and not be tired or feel ill, that's fabulous. But, you report some pretty harsh symptoms so it's best for your LLMD to sort this all out, in light of your current abilities and what treatment you will be on.

YOU may well be able to do some of the activities you enjoy. My guess is that, since you feel better with it -- as long as you feel better afterward and the next day -- you'll be able to continue in a similar fashion.

You just need to be cleared for that and have the proper support in place.

If you have to alter that, believe me, exercise is still strongly encouraged, it just might be different for a while but you sound like a lucky one on that area. Don't pack up all your gear.

Again, it mostly depends on what your LLMD says about YOUR case but I would bet that you'll be able to still enjoy much, even if slowing down a bit. Support methods are still a good idea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You mentioned a vegan diet. No where "officially" have I seen that suggested for lyme patients.

In fact, you may need more protein than that could provide. While plants do contain protein, muscles meats and fish do contain some unique nutrients.

If you go vegan, you will need to supplement: B-12; TAURINE; CLA, etc.

I was vegetarian for 18 years and I had to start eating eggs, fish and meat again. I really needed those for MY body and brain.

Many find they really need more, not less but only from organic (or close to organic) quality.

Grass fed and free ranging animals, WILD fish, is best.

Of course, MOST of the diet should be VEGGIES.

Fruits? If you have candida, be very careful. When on abx, candida can happen and then be terrible to try to clear. Best to avoid it.

Probiotics, Olive Leaf Extract, Allicin, certian antifungal Rx, and a diet of nearly NO SIMPLE SUGARS will help.

Certain fruits may work okay, best after a meal. Low sugar DARK BERRIES or tart apples.

But, if you do develop candida, you may not be able to "do" fruit. You may. It just depends on the person and the support methods.

FATS - be sure you get enough good fats. NUTS, avocado, etc.

There is no need to feel deprived but many do have to do a major shift in their food plan. Still, with all the garden herbs, dried herbs and spices -- all the veggies in the world, etc. there is no need to feel deprived.

GLUTEN is best avoided, though. There are very good non-gluten WHOLE GRAINS like

Millet; Quinoa; brown, red, black, wild rices; Amaranth and whole buckwheat groats. Just not flours. Whole matters.

But, once in a while, a brown rice pasta PENNE can be very nice - along with lots of veggies.

Lots of veggies is the theme.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTIONS

Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148

- by Anura V. Kurpad

Fifteen pages of text.

Excerpt from abstract on page one:

. . . In general, the amount of extra protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . .

[note: see what author states about lysine supplementation appearing to help immune function.]
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to find what works best for YOU. Since you will be going on long term antibioitics, I would suggest a diet that will help you avoid candida/yeast.

It can be a BIG stumbling block to getting well if you get it... and it can hang on for years and years after treating Lyme.

I eat low carb, no sugar, no fruit, no gluten. It is what I have to do in order to keep the yeast in check. I'm not sure I am a celiac, but I probably am. (long story)

Eat plenty of vegetables!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that approx. 85% of Lyme patients gain weight and about 15% lose weight. You may be in that second category.

We are all different and you need to do what's right for your body. I believe there is a protocol that you should be doing if you're losing weight, but I'm not a Lyme doctor and I don't know it.

Re exercise, also, each of us can do what we can do to tolerance. I do walking and swimming to my capacity. When I get tired, I rest.

It is good for us to have circulation, for the sake of nutrients in, waste products out, and good lymph circulation.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said, "I'm always hungry after/in between meals."

I don't think you're getting enough fat in your diet.
If you are losing alot of weight, you may be losing muscle mass in addition to fat.

From your description, you are exercising alot, which means your muscles need protein to repair.
How much protein are you getting daily?

A bunch of your symptoms sound like magnesium deficiency:
spasming of the upper and lower eyelids,
generalized anxiety like symptoms,
depression
Tinitus,
Hyperacusis,
slight tendenitis in the knees...

Irritable bowel syndrome may be due to hypercoagulation, which happens with Lyme due to elevated fibrin.
Systemic enzymes can reduce the fibrin.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Hypercoagulation (Thickened Blood)
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C546624.html

Each person who is giving you advice is working from their own experience.
So yes, often it will conflict.

In my experience, you can relieve a number of your symptoms with vitamins, minerals, omega 3's, systemic enzymes.
If you can relieve your symptoms, you may not need to subject your body to the long term antibiotics.

Look into hyaluronic acid for your knees.
The reviews for this at iHerb.com are excellent.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fred0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great stuff everyone.

It really helped.

Appreciate the support I'm getting here:)Thank you!

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred, I totally understand what you mean. I have found such contradictory advice on what you are supposed to do and what you should not.

I also felt better exercising and for the past 25 years, had gotten some type of aerobic exercise every morning. (I think this is why I had such a good immune system which hid Lyme from me for a number of years).

I tried to follow Dr. B's guidelines for exercise and felt worse after giving up my regimen. I have started reducing my aerobic (low impact) to every other day and have tried to increase the resistance training to meet the recommendations half way... This seems to be working for me.

Re: diet. I will probably get a lot of negative feedback on this, but I was absolutely miserable on the gluten free diet. Eating is one of the few joys in life that I still have.

Instead of going gluten free, I have tried to reduce the amount of gluten and carbs in my diet while continuing to eat many vegetables/salads/soups/nuts/hummus/beans/chicken and fish. I still enjoy feta cheese and I have my own home made kefir every day. I would find it way too hard to give up dairy as many recommend.

My diet has been Mediterranean for years (this is almost vegetarian, with lots of healthy whole grains, vegetables and fruit with healthy oils and some dairy with chicken and fish a few times a week). I also think my past healthy diet probably kept my immune system up and kept lyme bacteria at bay for all those years I had without knowing...

I have modified this healthy diet by not having so many carbs, but I still enjoy some things that are forbidden like air popped popcorn and whole wheat crackers or toast with hummus - all in moderation.

I have lost my taste for a lot of the things that I used to enjoy since starting ABX, which may be my body's way of telling me what I need and don't need. God bless all of you out there who have been strong enough to follow the strict lyme diet.

The main thing is to follow your instincts to do what makes you feel better and able to tolerate these awful meds that you need to fight this disease. God bless.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Thanks much dbpei.

I also wonder if sports helped keep back the Lyme a bit in the days I was competitve.

I mean I was sick with Ebstein for some months but then I would rebound and again be able to compete for a few more years.

Then around 18 my body said no more.

Though I stopped extreme sports back then I've been active in sports all my life.

One of the activities I've never enjoyed though is working out in a gym.

fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Hey, nobody mentioned Dairy products!

One book I have suggested to stay away from it all except for plain jogurt, saur cream. Small amounts of goat cheese are allowed.

Are most of you staying away from Dairy?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Staying away from Dairy?

Absolutely. I can only tolerate goat cheese. Even cow plain yogurt will clog my sinuses within 10 minutes and for days afterward.

You might get the book: "Don't Drink Your Milk" as it addresses how it can sort of "gum" up the immune system.

Don't recall if they discuss goat products, though.
-

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as someone mentioned, lots of different advice here - milk doesn't bother me at all - maybe it's genetic differences we've got. Again, I say listen to your body's response to everything you do.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fredO,,
It's amazing and their both right..In one of my med post ..milk and other food is brought up that I thought we had to stay away from.

..Yet some here have gotten well without this, not all.

Keebler and Robin are very knowledgeable about this illness and I know you are new and probably getting a bit scarred...

There's so many thing's involved with this illness as are with others.

Lot's of help here and of course talk with your LLMD....

I've tried a bit of varied eating patterns and some just put in whatever is there!!

I know coffee stuffs me up and makes my joints ache , mostly hands ...UNLESS it's Italian..Expresso made just like in Italy...for me decaf. Unless in Italy...There are reasons for that ,,,but that is not of importance to you right now..

This is a HUGE bummer to be going through this ...and you want to do whatever you can to make it go away...

Unless you find some magic solution, it is a learning process and a WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you are saying.

I have been at this for close to 10 years and finally getting better under the care of a well known LLMD.

I am back to running and biking - did a couple of high mileage weeks with no problem. I also love biking - triathlete and duathlete..I am back to 75% of my exercise capacity in terms of duration and intensity. I started off at about 25%, but ALWAYS did some form of cardio and ALWAYS felt worse when I did nothing. But that is just me.

Anyway, what I have found is that, for me, there needs to be some level of indiviuality in terms of the peripherals of treatment.

I do things that most would say not to do and eat some thing i should not. I know what my body can and cannot tolerate, I know what is good for my own constitution and what is not.

I had to start adding things back to my diet as I was losing too much weight.

I think you need to pay attention not just to recommendations by LLMD's but also to cues that your body is giving you.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

Thanks people. I'm reading it all and taking it all in. Appreciate it.
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with this. It robs you of everything.

Do you get post exertional "crashing"? Do you feel worse after exercising.

I know you have to listen to your doctor, but if you can tolerate exercise I think it must be good for you.

I tried to bully my way through this by ramping up exercise a few times, only to crash.

I can't tolerate running or biking anymore, both of which I love. I crash very hard after these.

You need to find what works for you and what makes you feel well. Exercise is important so I feel like if you can tolerate then you are miles ahead of many of us....

Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally get this. Silver and I do a short shopping trip and by the time we get home, it's nap time.

And I don't mean cat napping, I mean, turn out the lights the party's over!

It goes back to the "spoon theory". When we days or minutes where we do have energy, it must be used wisely or else there are ramifications!

I think how I used to be, hunting, walking, fishing, bowling, even slow pitch soft ball. Now it's an effort to watch TV!

However, I refuse to give in to this garbage! It will not win, nor will I let it define me!

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fred0
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37371

@pme-
It's hard to say if I crash after excercise really.??

With Lyme I don't really have fatigue issues.

I did have those problems 30 years ago when I first became sick (months at home with Mono), but I recovered.

Physically I don't feel that bad afterwards.

Just my strange symptoms in the eyes, head, concentration maybe are a little worse afterwards.

I did notice that I felt a little worse after running almost everyday, especially after it was brought up that it's not good for you.

Honestly though, after my 25 k bike ride I felt surprisingly well.

I was a little tired the next day but recovered fine.

I mean I never feel good or 'normal' but I woke up and my eye muscles were relatively relaxed, etc..

@TxCoord-I think a lot about 'what I used to do', even though at the time I probably already had Lyme but I didn't know it.

It would go into remission for months at a time.

It was some months of highs and then some months of real bad lows.

The hardest time for me for years was the winter months.

For the last 2 years it's been all year round.

I am a little surprised that I am able to excercise more than a lot of people posting here.

So many seem to be going through it much worse than me.

I'm not sure why that is, especially when I've been sick so long.

Maybe my body has fought some of it off??

Don't know.

In any case I'm not looking forward to going on Abx.

I'm imagining that will be real tough.

I'm afraid it will be the worst I'll have to go through.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement