LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Which steam cleaner can you recommend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which steam cleaner can you recommend?
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to buy a steam cleaner but only a brand which is recommended by someone.

I already have a wet machine ( not steam) for the floors (tiles) which I really love.

The new steam cleaner would be for bathrooms, shower, maybe windows, kitchen ....

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I would like to know, too, please.

I love my Bissell floor steamer and use that on my counter tops, and even for the bottom of the tub, too.

Hint: with a clean mop pad, use first on kitchen counter before moving on to the floors or tub.

It can be used on an oven door that opens parallel to the floor, if not too far off the floor.

This cannot be turned upside down to do mirrors and windows as it will then leak. It's not designed for that.

So, I also want one that can be turned up to do windows, and the oven.

Anyone have experience with the one below? Reviews at the sight are mixed, some not good at all. I do like the idea of their window attachment.

http://www.hsn.com/as-seen-on-tv/h2o-mop-ultra-1500-watt-3-in-1-floor-and-carpet-steam-cleaner_p-6472947_xp.aspx

HSN - H2O Mop 3-in-1 steamer

http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/bissell-little-green-compact-multi-purpose-deep-cleaner_p-4336492_xp.aspx

Bissell multi purpose

This would work for kitchen and bath surfaces, but does not have a window or mirror attachment. Wonder if I could just put an old sock over the other attachment?

I like that the steam is NOT in a hand held unit as those can be very dangerous with the boiling water being held in the hand.

Bissell Steam Shot? I borrowed one of those from a neighbor but found it FAR too dangerous. The plastic gets way too hot, steam escapes and it's just not very sturdy in case the user looses balance or jerks

(as someone with a seizure disorder, I have to consider that but, really, anyone can be startled and steam burns can be life-altering and painful).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am not alone in my search. I think it is also important how heavy it is , we cannot lift so much and the window appliances are a must for me.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Keebler,

I gave up the idea of cleaning windows.
Then maybe your Bissell would be ok for me. Can you steam carpets? I understood your machine is ok for the kitchen and the shower and has no major defects. What price range is your steam cleaner in?

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
LIGHTLY and quickly, you can steam a section of carpet that may have the need.

Shower or tub FLOOR, only. Not for up the sides, though. If turned on it's side, steaming water will leak at at the ball joint and can get on you.

You could lift it up to go over rims, perhaps, depending upon the angle.

It has a nice carpet glider sort of outline (as if the inner part of the tray is just gone) but it must keep moving on the carpet and not be used too much as it will get the carpet wet.

It has no extraction, it just puts off steam.

I think now, at Bissell's site or HSN you can get this for about $100. HSN often has divided payments.

I was able to get one without them also sending some smelly spray (even though it was to be essential oils). Try to avoid any extra cleaning scents if possible.

Also, the plastic of the unit has a bit of new smell that is not good for us but, as it's summer, it can be set out side for a bit and it will take just a day or two of fresh air to help that settle down. Keep out of direct sunlight, though.

If you use this on kitchen counter tops, it just takes a little work at first to get a good grip as it still needs to be upright. You might keep one mop head dedicated to counter tops or do at the beginning of each use, with a clean one.

It can also be used in the flat base of a sink.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hey, I FOUND ONE that you can turn perpendicular to the floor. It's pad is bit smaller than I would have preferred but this looks perfect in most ways.

--------------------------

http://www.bissell.com/steam-sponge/

Steam Sponge� Handheld Cleaner

Bissell Steam Sponge - $50.

to remove tough stains and grime from countertops, sinks, stove tops, mirrors and windows

http://www.bissell.com/steam-sponge/video/

One-minute Video

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-Steam-Sponge-Titanium-39F1/product-reviews/B005GL5S2S

AMAZON - Bissell Steam Sponge� - 21 Customer Reviews

A five-minute customer video here is very helpful and better than what is on Bissell's own site.

-----------------

This is the one I've enjoyed for years, for surfaces parallel to the floor. HSN no longer carries this model but you can get it here:

http://www.bissell.com/steam-mop-deluxe/

Steam Mop� Deluxe $70.

------------------

To get a 10% discount, you may need to start at their home page:

http://www.bissell.com/steam-cleaners/

BISSELL website - Steamers

New Subscriber? Sign up and receive 10% off your next bissell.com purchase!

Free shipping if order is $30 or more.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A different design for the floor, with a little vacuum (makes sense but from the video, seems very loud and a bit more bulky).

http://www.hsn.com/home-solutions/bissell-steam-sweep-pet-hard-floor-cleaner_p-6752350_xp.aspx

HSN - BISSELL� Steam & Sweep Pet Hard Floor Cleaner

You can play a video here, too.
-

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I bought the unit in the link below

I had the same Bissell as Keebler, but it stopped working properly. [Frown]

This one works great, especially having all the attachments.

http://tinyurl.com/dyfma66

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
fourwinds,

Thanks so much for that Wagner link. THAT is exactly what I had in mind for the window & mirror attachment. Looks like it has a sort of squidge at the top of the window pad. ??

99 Five-star reviews says a lot, too. Great to add to the consideration list.

There are several videos to see - from a Google search for: wagner 915 power steamer

At Amazon, I love that you can search within the reviews. There are 14 that mention windows:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-content-search/results/ref=cm_srch_q_rtr/?query=windows&search-alias=community-reviews&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&idx.asin=B003PGQI3Y
-

karenl
Member # 17753

fourwinds,

you would recommend the Wagner for the kitchen zinc and shower? Are you also doing your windows with the steam cleaner? This one looks good.
I am so sensitive to chemicals so the steam cleaner is very important.

fourwinds
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fourwinds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, your welcome... I don't use any chemicals any more and love steam cleaning.

Karenl,it works great in the shower and sink

I haven't tried it on windows. (I stopped chores like washing windows, ironing, raking leaves--- you know, things that just keep coming back at you -- lol...)

The Wagner unit has alot of power, the steam is hot (so be careful) and with the attachments you can clean anything... I love it

Posts: 396 | From EAPennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement