LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Had to abort trip to the store

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had to abort trip to the store
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I was feeling pretty awful, but needed to go the grocery store since we were out of most everything. I got about half way there and had to turn around and come home. It's the first time I wasn't able to push through the pain to do what I had to do, I guess reality just set in and it scares the daylights out of me. [Frown]

--------------------
"Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug." Mark Knopfler

Posts: 111 | From East of Eden | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homesick, I get this sometimes myself. It is really and truly such a demoralizing feeling. I think that sometimes in our desire to power through and feel normal (or as close to our old selves as possible) we have a tendency to forget that our poor bodies are going through tremendous strain due to these infections.

A few weeks ago I became so sick and terrified and hysterical I had to pull over to the side of the road and call my best friend to come meet me. I am not that kind of person-I pride myself on needing no one and nothing and pushing through my symptoms no matter what-but sometimes the enormity of this illness overwhelms me.

I think the key is to realize that we will have times like this but it doesn't mean that we can't or won't heal. It is just a reminder that we are battling a damned difficult illness and we need to respect our limits during our roughest moments. Jess.

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've learned to pace myself.

If I need to go somewhere, I DO NOT do any work beforehand, so that I'll have enough energy.
As for pushing through the pain, I don't do it.
I lie down and meditate until I feel better.

Systemic enzymes and fish oil have reduced the pain alot.

I'm sorry that it was a bad day.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for homesick73     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you are both right, it is a wake up call and is discouraging since I thought I could just push through and ignore symptoms, but I now realize that's not always the best thing. This certainly requires adustments in our lifestyle.

--------------------

Posts: 111 | From East of Eden | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hey, more than once, I had to leave full cart just sitting in the store and suddenly leave the store. Seriously.

At least a half dozen times before I got the message. But then my ear and brain issue with the check out beeps are what finally topped it all off.

Best to have someone else to shopping at big stores (too much sensory overload) and stick to the smaller stores (if there are any left in your area) and shorter gathering excursions.

Farmers' markets are best, if you can park close by. Most have a nice place to rest, too.

I seriously question how it's even possible that anyone with advanced lyme, et.al. can recover if they go to any big box store on a regular basis. It's just a multitude of shocks to so many systems.

I don't think they're very good for anyone, really, but especially not for anyone with health issues.

In addition to Carol's suggestion to not do anything else that day prior to going to the store, the rest of the day and all the next also may need to be crossed off for recovery time. It's truly detrimental.

If you can make other arrangements, time is best spent in healing environments.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go to the store and get wiped out realizing I still had to...

Bring the groceries into the house and

Put the groceries away !!!

I used to leave the non perishables in the car and beg one of the menfolk to bring the rest in the house...

My husband and son would go to the store to help, so I can only half whine.

I was and still am on most days - only able to do one major event - doctor, store, etc. And on some I don't even make those.

It is scary, but don't worry, it does get less scary the more you know your body.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatriotM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatriotM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I respectfully disagree with the others. I think that it is very important to keep moving and "push through" as much as you can. It's important to try to maintain as normal a life as possible and it's good for your muscle tone to keep moving. If you sometimes can't complete whatever you're trying to do - it's no big deal.

In my experience, most of the time that I "push through" the pain or fatigue, I end up feeling better. There's something to be said for trying to accomplish something and getting your mind off being sick.

[ 09-12-2012, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: PatriotM ]

Posts: 177 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homesick73: Do you have a home grocery delivery service near you? Stop & Shop grocery store has a service called Peapod that lets you order your groceries online & then delivers them to your house.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chastain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
patriot, I am mostly in agreement with you. I work as a freelance editor, I exercise, I date and socialize as much as I can. However, I am also sick as hell with not just lyme but a multitude of coinfections and sometimes it is simply physically impossible to just power through. I am very ill and at times I simply need to rest and do nothing.

I do agree one hundred percent with you however that doing things to get your mind off being sick and never letting your illness define you are critically important tools for healing. Jess.

Posts: 651 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PatriotM, When your adrenals can no longer handle "pushing through" you WILL crash!

I agree with doing as much as you can - living as normal a life as possible - but you also need to know when to stop before complete adrenal exhaustion.

My husband "pushed through" way too often and too long. His adrenals crashed big time. So he is dealing with adrenal recovery along with Lyme & Babs.

His adrenals crashed before he was diagnosed with Lyme.

He does have hobbies and interests to keep himself occupied while he is recovering. But he cannot "push through" any more, or he 'crashes' again. Its NOT worth it.

Sorry, I hope I didn't hurt any body - I'm just sharing what we learned the hard way. I don't want anyone else to have to suffer like my husband has.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patriot,

Maybe some can push through physically but for many of us the neuro stuff or adrenal stuff is too much to push through. The body honestly just shuts down. It is not actually a choice at all. Can't mind over matter that. Has happened to me many times. It is an entirely different beast from what you're talking about. You are lucky if you don't know what we're talking about.

I have also had to turn around and come home after trying to go to the store and have also had to leave shopping carts in the store and have also called my husband sobbing from the side of the road. It's just horrible. Then of course there was the getting lost on roads I was absolutely familiar with.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Patriot, I see what you mean. Many times it does help to push through, but sometimes I don't think some of us can.

Manna, What do you have to do to recover from adrenals crashing?

tickled, The forgetfulness is the worst. It is so embarressing to forgot the simplest things, and I do it a lot. I think it is even worse than the pain, being unable to continue normal activities etc.

Mama, no delivery infortunately. That would be great, but just not something we have here.

keebler, i agree, but we only have one big store here other than Walmart, and Walmart is even worse!

Dogs, I have had my husband bring stuff in too.

Chastain, Yes it is hard to lose our independence and have to call on others, esp. when they don't really understand. They tolerate us for a while and then expect us to snap out of it.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The thing about big box stores is

TOXIC FUMES all the rubber (in some stores), plastics, fumes off gassing from textiles and printed packaging . . .

Chemical and scented products . . .

breathing in all this can cause liver & kidney stress -- and brain and lung stress, too.

LIGHTS - fluorescent lights are a real stressor for our brains and inner ear & balance system - and the stress can last for hours or days.

Flashing displays can also add up to tear us down.

NOISE - not just noise but combinations that can crumble ears, brain and adrenals - not to mention overload mood

Even if the music is happy (they do program it to cause mood surges) it's often so fast paced that it can leave us exhausted.

Beeps, buzzes, all kinds of sounds from different departments you pass from electronics, audio advertising, etc.

DECISIONS to be made.

This or that? Hundreds of decisions are required with every major shopping trip. Even if you have a list and stick to it, you have major

OVER EXPOSURE of tens of thousands messages to your brain and there's a decision process going on all the time as to what to look at, what to look past, what's pretty, what looks good, what you would like but know you shouldn't . . . and on and on and on . . .

PARKING LOT - all the burps, beeps or buzzes from people locking and unlocking their cars. Some car audio systems can be very disturbing to one's inner ear and balance system, especially if heavy bass beat or fast rhythm.

Parking itself, breathing in exhaust from cars you walk past.

Such environments are not healthy for anyone. But, as you say you have not much choice, find others who do not seem bothered to do this for you. Pay if you must. It's worth it for your recovery.

Best to avoid all that and put your body moving in nature or to music in a healing environment.

I'm not saying don't move but don't hang around toxic sites that will shake you to the very core.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not alone. Having a family, yes, I do have to push through some things,

but I think over the years I've gotten to know my limits.

I now have my husband and younger children go with me on Saturday mornings- pack the cart chock full-

then I don't have to run around all week, and husband can lift the heavy stuff.

It's not 'fun' but we get it over with. And Costco seriously drives me insane, lol.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Having a mild case of agoraphobia doesn't help either, the bigger the crowd, the worse it is.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some have been misdiagnosed with agoraphobia when it's really a vestibular disorder - or lyme with vestibular symptoms (or lyme causing a vestibular disorder).

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS [note that nearly every one can go along with lyme or other tick-borne infections]
-

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I flew to see my LLMD, I pushed thru. Had no choice. If I didn't go, no meds, etc.

When I didn't have to push, and didn't think I could make it, I learned to trust my instincts. My body would usually tell me when to chill.

Pushing it for me just made my nervous system overload. That was not fun. And most of the family didn't get it when it happened.

Surprise....I didn't go to Costco for over a year. And Wallymart was like a place of torture.

I have been known to drive thru a fast food place and get milk to get by for a few days. Weird? Yes. Did it work? Yes.
Did I care? No.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Wallymart was a place of torture even before I got sick. Now I just avoid it altogether. Off the subject, but I saw a documentary about how bad they treat those poor Chinese people who work in their factories, terrible. Using th e drive through to get milk is a great idea. It's amazing how resourceful we can be when we need to.

--------------------

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to use the drive-thru to get my gatorade b/c I was too weak to go to the store and get it.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

Well, I made it to the store and now have a roast in the crock pot, that crock pot is a beautiful thing for those of us too tired to cook, good idea about the gatorade too. [Smile]

--------------------

tickled1
Member # 14257

LOVE the crockpot! Haven't pulled mine out in awhile. Think I will tomorrow. Problem is I have to go to the store to get something to put IN the crockpot! [lol]
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homesick,

My hubby is using the Adrenal supplements from Dr. James Wilson. James Wilson is the author of "Adrenal Fatigue".

Buying that book was the best $15. I ever spent! It validated everything we'd learned about adrenal fatigue AND told us how to recover from it.

It is as important what you do / eat as what you don't do / eat. Getting enough rest is one of the big ones.

Posts: 2252 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
homesick73
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36551

tickled, too bad they don't have anything at the drive throught to put in the crock pot.

manna, thank you, I will look into the adrenal thing, it seem to be a common problem here on lymenet.

--------------------

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to limit my trips. If I must go to Walmart for something my local grocery doesn't have then I plan my food shopping for there also.

I try not to hit WM more than once every other week. I try to only go to grocery every week, even longer if I can. Make lists, and if possible take a child or someone with you. That way they can grab soda, cat litter, or other heavier items.

If I do go alone, I take my mp3 player and listen to what I wanna hear, what helps me relax. It tunes out the awful store music and hustle and bustle. Usually when I go alone it's at a time that someone is home to unload when I arrive. Only on my best days do I do it alone and unload and put away alone.

I order online when possible, like amazon or something for some stuff. Avoiding another trip to health food store. I can only go there when I'm on a doctor trip or something as it's 50 miles away.

Planning well and asking for help from others you live with I think is the key. Also keeping a few items on hand for a quick meal or 4 when you can't make your trip at all. I keep frozen pizza's, hot pockets, pasta and pasta sauce, etc. around just in case we are stuck here with no groceries for cooking and I just can't get out to go to the store. No one else here shops much, unless it's a necessity.

I need to go to the store today, but I think I'll wait until I pick up my dd from school. Hubby will be here to help unload too. Best of a bad situation!

Everyone have a great w/e

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
On-line shopping can bring us many household items and shipping is often free through Amazon.

Food in jars, too, can be delivered.

Costco will even deliver bathroom tissue. Even if there is a delivery charge, it's less than the cost of gasoline.

Remember BOB's RED MILL.

Some local farmers may deliver veggies &/or eggs, etc.

Delivery prevents stress to our bodies in many ways.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement