LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Any suggestions for crunchy neck????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any suggestions for crunchy neck????
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondered if any one had any luck treating the crunchy neck sx we all have????

Any thing that makes it feel better?

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Massage and Magnesium really helped me with that the most.

The massage can work out the muscle tension that causes some of the cruchies. Magnesium helps the muscles and the nerves, too.

The massage needs to include the whole back and shoulders, though. Not just the neck.

NOT sudden twists or any chiroprhactic moves like ordinarily used, though. Sudden twists or turns of the neck can cause damage for those with lyme due to the swelling in the spinal cord.

However, gentle cranial sacral therapy is good. Search: UPLEDGER to find someone near you for that technique.

First, a DO or other pracitioner might image your neck so you know if there is a structual concern with the vertebrae. That's good to know first. Likely, though, the muscles have just gotten so tight.

See the neck "support" at the Upledger site, too.

FENDENKRAIS, too, is safe and wonderful.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don... try this:

http://www.twooldgoats.com/page/page/4792030.htm

My brother bought some for me. He buys it at Ace Hardware. Maybe your store carries it!!

It works pretty nicely! It is not chemical free but is mostly natural stuff. I think you'd like it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What supplements would be good to strengthen the ligaments? I've gotten a lot of chiro care through the years and I think my ligaments are lax now. I still get good chiro care for my neck, but the adjustments don't seem to hold.

I did just order Ultra Body Toddy - will see if it does anything. It's a liquid drink full of minerals and it's what my myofascial therapist used to put her patients on.

I am exploring neck self-massaging, and finding that my entire neck is stiff as a board, not just the areas that hurt. So is this because Lyme affects the cranial nerves to the neck and shoulders?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes when I DID go to a chiro,,,10 to 20 years ago he always popped my neck,,,but an hour later it was right back to same hurting unit.

At that time tho I did get good results in back area.

I do take magnesium and calcium as well as osteo bi flex glucosamine/clondrition.

What made things better and not needed to go back was buying a sleep number bed AND using a pillow

between my legs every night all night long or lower back gets sore by morn.

Havent needed to return to chiro for many many years

But the right side of my
neck is sore and stiff for 20 years now, the bottom stick out neck bone is bruised feeling to touch.

Years ago chiro took a xray of spine and asked when I broke my neck. Siad didnt know I ever did.

Yup he says, look here, this bone is supposed to be pointing sideways,it now points down and is permanently fused that way.

Pretty sad when you break your neck and dont know it!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh don...i was gonna say i have been taught ways to change posture to help...but then i got to the end...if its permantely broken and fused...not sure what to say

for me i have to get my head back more...recliner is good, car seat leaning back is good,...the correct riding position is good and i think thats why it helped me...

i can say that was my 2nd worse sx and tx and other stuff has helped

i also cannot do chiro anymore...but do like massage...just hard to afford it

co-samine ds (purple and white box) works better for me. i go downhill all over when i runout. it is onsale now many places buy one get one half off...i buy a bunch when they do this a few times a year

i also have to use special neck pillo and pillo between knees. when i dont have a neck pillo i roll up a towel and lie on my back or side with towel under it. on back it lets neck stretch...but don...a fused broken neck...you dont want to fool around too much with that

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot have neck manipulations anymore .. NOPE!! I won't let any chiro "adjust" me again. It always makes me worse. I hope I have finally learned that one.

I have to sleep on my back .. PERIOD. My body knows instinctively NOT to turn over.

My neck is permanently crooked... thanks to two bad car accidents and a lifting injury.

Broken? OH joy, don!

Get the TwoOldGoats you old goat!!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hey, don,

trying to get you a virtual neck & shoulder massage as part of:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031548;p=0

Day of Service
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be called a "bed buddy", but now it's called something else. It can be purchased at Walgreens. It's a "sock" that's filled with something and when heated in the microwave, becomes warm, slighty moist heat. Wrap it around the back of your neck, and it relieves the ache and the crunchiness momentarily.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Just Don.

I've got horrible neck problems. Got hit by a pick-up truck while riding a mountain bike.

I'm doing what Keebs mentioned. I've recently started seeing a deep tissue massage therapist who does cranial sacral therapy on my neck and taught me how to do it at home. She does massage work on me also and I take magnesium.

Have lots of soft tissue damage and 3 surgeries on left arm. Had God awful whiplash and the worst concussion I've ever had from that accident.

I'm paying $65 an hour an she's worth every penny. Once I see improvement can drop it down to 30 minutes once a week.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6144 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don
I think a guillotine will completly stop the poping and cracking.

HE HE HE He He !!!!!

Sorry I could not help myself !!!!!!

I had to stop shaking animals to death while holding them with my teeth.

MADDOG HE HE HE HE HE !!!!!

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MADDOG! Here I am, all set to ask a serious question, and I read your post! Ok, I'll laugh first. Hahahahahahahahahaha! There!!

Now for my question: is it possible that those of us with ongoing neck symptoms also have something wrong with our neck area?

For me, a reverse curve at C3,C4 due to having my head bent forward doing various activities in the earlier part of my life, thus my neck muscles are overtight.

If we have neck complications, the theory then is Lyme attacks the weak areas of the body, where there isn't as much oxygenated bloodflow, etc, and this happens to be our weak area.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense, Robin.

Don, crunchy neck was one of my lyme symptoms that responded to treatment. But it sounds like you have more going on there.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Almost sounds like a breakfast cereal: Crunchy Neck.
With lime flakes. Fortified with Vit D.

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has a crunchy shoulder - sounds like rice crispy's in there.

We want to try some of the Two Old Goats cream and see if that helps.....

Posts: 2251 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neck was also like snap, kracle and pop. It finally resolved six months into IV Tx, along with most other joint pain and stiffness.

I also had been seeing an holistic chiro who kept my back and neck aligned while also receiving cold laser detox, lymph drainage, and ionic footbath therapy. He was Lyme knowledagble and his ciro technique was very low impact using more gentle manipulations and use of vibration/impact tools.

This chiro helped greatly thru some of my worse sx flares during early treatment. I'm getting close to 80% most days and beginning to see the light after close to three years of treatment.

I have not seen the chiro since returning from working a reduced 4 days week when I started treatment back to a full 5 days last Sept.

Try to find a Brimhall certified chiro in your area.

gmb

[ 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: gmb ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Robin Bird said.. "If we have neck complications, the theory then is Lyme attacks the weak areas of the body, where there isn't as much oxygenated bloodflow, etc, and this happens to be our weak area."

THAT explains those with brain problems! The Lyme is attacking the already weakened area!

[lol]

Just Don,

Hope you are not horribly uncomfortable! If so, Maddog had the best suggestion so far. If you rent one, please let me know. I'll spilt it with you!

I find a chiropractor to be the place to get the best help and advise. Might want to try one again.

Direct heat can cause more swelling and inflammation, cold can cause more pain. Seems sometimes we can't win for losing.

One of our lovely members sent this product listed below to me several years ago and it has helped me a lot. Been buying it ever since. I know you are taking the pills with some of this in it, but this seems to work better and is more on target. Actually, you'll smell cute if you use it.

Nature's Plus - Glucosamine Chondroitin Msm, 4 oz cream by Nature's Plus

You can get it on Amazon (only this brand- it is good) and it lasts a good while.

BUT, that said, my advise to you is to go south to Florida! I hear being near Mickey Mouse's house makes that pain go away. WARM weather!

I say that as it is dumping snow on my head right now. Ugggggg!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin 49673759693273727428,

There is an MSM cream that can be used for the ligaments, and the good part, no swallowing horse sized pills!

Here is the info. You can get it on Amazon, one jar or do like I do, get three at a time to save on shipping and cost.

TriMedica Pure MSM Cream, 2-Ounces (Pack of 3)

Hope that helps.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Robin 34056723027y59509. Just checked. One bottle is about $5.00. Three jars are about $12.00.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Cheap!! No.. not YOU, Tincup!

[lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement