LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » chicken 170 degrees - best skillet without oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chicken 170 degrees - best skillet without oil
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the package of fresh chicken is: 170 degrees -
when I check the temperature it is hard to get it to 140 degrees.

How can you have 170 degrees without burning the chicken?
Also I use stainless steel cookware but for skillets teflon. I know it is bad but what else can I use without oil? I cook very light and fresh.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen, please post more details. What recipe are you using? What cut of chicken are you using -- breast? thigh? drumsticks? whole chicken?

I only use stainless steel pans for frying/sauteeing. I use aluminum baking pans lined with parchment paper for baking chicken breasts and drumsticks. I also use the outdoor barbecue.

I have never ever used teflon in my cooking and I never will for a variety of reasons.

I appreciate and understand your need to cook light and fresh. But IMO all oils aren't bad. I saute with light olive oil and sometimes with butter (!). I am even a bit heavy-handed with extra virgin olive oil. IMO we all need good oils in our diet!

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, feel free to use olive oil!!(you don't need much) .. And put a lid on it! Seriously, use a lid to help intensify the heat without as much burning.

I hope you aren't using that spray oil stuff. (like Pam)...ugh...

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point about using the lid! You can first saute and then steam just by putting a lid on it!

Lymetoo, I used to use Pam but don't anymore. It's not a good substance as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the lid on but never get the 170 degrees without burning the meat. I use chicken breasts.
I use some drops of the extra virgin olive oil. With stainless steel I would need more oil, not a problem.

Beaches do you use medium heat from the beginning and how many minutes per side. Or do you start on lower heat?

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Are you using bone-in chicken breasts or boneless chicken cutlets?

If you are using bone-in breasts, I suggest baking them in the oven instead of using a skillet. Here's how I make them:

Preheat oven to 350. Take chicken breasts out of the frig and let them rest at room temp for 15-20 minutes. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper. Put them either on a baking sheet or a shallow baking dish. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes (or more if they are very large). I never use a meat thermometer. I insert a sharp knive into the breast. If juices run clear, they're done. I let them rest on the counter for about 10 minutes before serving.

For boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, here's how I make those:

I bread them (flour, eggs, breadcrumbs). I heat olive oil in a stainless steel skillet on medium heat. When the oil is hot I put the cutlets in (you should hear a little sizzling). If the cutlets are thin, you can leave them on medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. If the cutlets are thick, you can lower the heat to low-medium and cook about 5-6 minutes per side. Again, I don't use a meat thermometer here either. If the juices run clear, they're done.

I hope this helps!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also butterfly them first.. cut longways.. making it thinner. I never check the temp either.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

I did the same and never used a thermometer - but now with the thermometer I see that the temperature is not high enough when I think they are done.

Instead of 170 you probably have just 140 when the meat is done. I guess the restaurants are not using thermometers. But chicken have the EB-virus.

I only use boneless,skinless chicken.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

What is the EB-virus?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

beaches
Member # 38251

I think she's referring to the Epstein-Barr virus (at least that's all I can think of). I've never heard that that virus is in chicken, but hey I guess you never know.

But there are pathogens in all foods- E-coli, Salmonella, Listeria, etc. I just can't think of those things when I'm preparing meals. I just wash all my fruits and veggies very well and cook all proteins through--nothing rare or even medium rare or heck even medium!

Karen, two things occurred to me: 1- if you are cooking with a teflon skillet, you might not be getting an adequate heat temp in the pan that you would with stainless. That could definitely affect the temp of your chicken cutlet. And 2- your thermometer could be off.

And FYI, I thought chicken was fully cooked at 160??

I'd bet restaurants don't use thermometers. And I doubt most home cooks do either.

Is your concern that EBV in poultry is killed at a certain temp? Again, I've never heard about EBV in chicken or any other meat. So I'm curious to know more about your concerns.

karenl
Member # 17753

Weeks ago 160 degrees was on the package and now it is 170 degrees. Obviously they think more is better.
I will try the stainless steel, maybe steel can get higher temperatures. Also I follow your advice and buy another thermometer.

beaches
Member # 38251

Let us know what happens!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement