LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Nine Wildfires in Colorado

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nine Wildfires in Colorado
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please say a prayer for all affected along with the first responders.

[ 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been praying for them. One of my high school graduates from Houston lives within a mile of the fires. That was last night. I don't know the status of their home now.

Are you close to the fires, faithful?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, thank God, I am an 90 minutes from them but it is making traffic a blooming mess to say the least. Roads are closed and my husband took forever to come home last night because people are stopping on the road to look at the smoke.

There is a fifth fire going now. No explanation on what started them yet, but thunderstorms at the lower elevations don't give much rain but they get the thunder, lightning and wind. Some have speculated that lightning may have caused a couple of the fires but no definite confirmation.

We live in a wooded area and they are the danger areas when it is very dry. Right now Colorado is having much higher than normal temperatures which is not helping.

The military are opening up shelters for anyone with a military ID but won't allow pets in. Boy does that make me mad!!

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh, no pets no shelter...gotta take family...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I agree. I would not leave any pets behind. That rule is so ridiculous. Most people have a cat or a dog. How dumb do they think people are??

Pets are our family.

We have an F350 with a horse trailer with room to put the chickens behind our horses. The dogs would be in the car with us. I wouldn't leave my babies behind!!!!

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last few disasters has had them rethinking the no pet rule.. I THOUGHT!!

After the tornadoes here in the Midwest they've been allowing small pets in the shelters.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I think that the military are the only ones restricting pets but this is a huge military area with all the Air Force bases.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

shoot!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Crap, I am starting to smell smoke this far away from all those fires. If I have to close my windows, we are going to die in this heat.

It is unseasonably warm here and no one in the mountains has air conditioning. AND I am on oxygen!!!! [Frown]

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

UGH!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Now there is a fire in my county. This one is 15 miles from my house.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

The fire in my county is NOT contained and is now 13 miles away. My husband is on his way home and we are starting to pack up all our meds to be ready to evacuate.

I guess we are going to head down to the property we bought and sleep in the car with the dogs. No idea how we are going to find water for the horses but we will have to fill buckets with lids to hold us over until we figure it out. God I am scared.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Oh no!!!! Praying for you!!!!!!!!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Woo hoo!! The teller county fire is out!! We are good for now.

The next two days are still red flag warnings for fire conditions but for now we are good. Thank God!!

Still no containment in the biggest fire in Black Forest. There are 8500 acres burned and they expect to lose 3000 more acres at least before they stop it. There are at least 92 homes destroyed. They are still counting and when the areas stabilize enough for the firefighters to go in safely they expect that number to go up.

They are getting ready to pre-evacuate Colorado Springs all the way to highway 25 and also west of that highway. I am expecting them to close the road so my husband will have to work at home tomorrow.

Smoke is blowing as far as Denver. My windows are closed because of the smoke and we are all running around with very little on (hehe) because it is so hot.

It seems that lightning strikes are responsible for the fires. I didn't know that a tree can smoulder for a couple of days before it actually becomes on fire. The winds are gusty and changing direction all the time so they don't know how far the fire will go.

The community here is really coming together to help each other. Very nice to see.

Still praying for all those who are evacuating.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Glad you are OK!!!

I have a friend in Colo Springs.. long time friend from college.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burn the Ticks out permanently!!!
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Unfortunately it is burning the houses and people, not just the ticks.

Less ticks here compared to many other states.

--------------------
Faithful

surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, how scary. I can't believe there are more fires in CO.

Glad you are okay---------

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

There are four now but the Black Forest fire now is 11,500 acres and still burning out of control.

The next three days are going to be all red flag days.

--------------------
Faithful

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing you're safe for now!

Is this a dumb idea or not - to send helicopters overhead and dump water on everything to make areas less dry?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you stay safe, Faithful. It must be so frightening. I wish we could share some of the rain we have been getting here.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

The helicopters are helping to put the fire out and keep it from spreading further.

The Air Force are using special water planes that dump water too and they are also dumping that red flame retardant.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Latest update, 15,000 acres burning at the Black Forest Fire with 320 homes destroyed. Eastern Colorado Springs is under mandatory evacuation.

No containment of this fire yet.

Royal Gorge fire is partially contained with 20 buildings destroyed.

The LeVeta fire is smaller but still burning.

Thunderstorms expected later today, but they won't be rain makers. They are expected to make the fire worse with gusty winds and lightning. Also temperatures are unseasonably warm for this area so it is much drier than usual which is not helping.

So far, we are okay but have a plan to bug out if needed.

The American Red Cross is helping as much as they can.

There is a press conference coming up soon and I will update from there.

[ 06-13-2013, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm so worried about our friends in CO Springs. They are east of CO Springs. UGH!!!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

They may have to evacuate but they will have advanced notice to do that. They will be safe.

Hard to say what will happen to their house. [Frown]

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Gosh, another fire in my county almost in the same place as the one they put out yesterday!!!!! I am never going to get any sleep.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's awful!! Such a worry!

I found out my friend is OK. The fire is east of them and the wind is blowing east.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a video on chemtrails someone posted here a while back and one person in the video has the theory that forest fires are more intense now due to the aluminium being dropped from the sky.

Sounds believable to me.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

I believe it. They seed the clouds trying to make it rain where it is dry and it ruins crops.

The Teller County Fire is contained for now. Some speculate that this was started by a person, but we really don't know at this time.

Getting tired of watching the news all the time but that is the only way to know if your county is in danger.

Two people dead in the Black Forest fire. The winds are not cooperating but the firefighters are working their butts off.

Tomorrow the winds will be worse, and we are praying that the winds work in the favor of the firefighters. We are expecting more evacuations in the Colorado Springs area.

Black Forest is the worst fire in Colorado history.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

The fire in Teller county is contained for now.

Many areas that are under pre-evacuation in the Black Forest fire, that go all the way to Colorado Springs, are on stand by to evacuate.

This will be another tough day with winds coming from all directions. There will be a press conference at 9 am MT and I will update from there.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Praying for all!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Black Forest is still only 5 percent contained. They don't think they lost any more homes last night.

Teller county fire is contained but not out. That makes us nervous as it is just 8 miles from where we live.

Royal Gorge fire is 40 percent contained. This is in Canon city where there are a bunch of prisons so they have had to evacuate prisoners to other areas.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

30% containment now on the Black Forest fire. Some mandatory evacuation areas now voluntary but police warned winds could change that status.

We got just a little rain everywhere today which helped keep the fire from spreading further. Today was also just a bit cooler which also helped the fire fighters.

Not out of the woods by any means, but the first responders felt they made some progress today.

370 homes destroyed so far.

Colorado Springs is looking good now. Praying that the winds continue to cooperate with keeping the city out of the fire.

Praying for 100% containment!!!!

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I sent a message to our friend. Haven't heard back, but they aren't on Facebook very much.

Hope they can put the fires out soon!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Facebook has helped a lot of people find each other during the evacuation and also locate lost pets. There is a special page for the Black Forest fire.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Colorado Springs is definitely in the clear with the fires.

Black Forest is 45% contained and where the fire is still burning there are mostly woods and not structures.

So many displaced people who still don't know if they have a home to go back to or not.

The police have been wonderful but there are no mailboxes or house numbers on anything so it is hampering them being definitive on which houses are gone or still standing.

There are companies offering free landscaping services to help restore the area. Also many are holding food drives for all those that are in shelters.

I have never seen a community come together like this. We are blessed to be in the clear for now.

Wildfires pop up all the time in wooded areas when it is dry but we will soon be moving to an area that is very open and much safer.

The main Hwy that runs from the Springs to Denver is I-25 and it is very congested late in the day every day now with all the rescue people and evacuees using the road to get services.

The weather is cooling off this week and there is actually rain forecasted. I am sure the firefighters will have total control in the next few days but clean up is going to take a long time.

--------------------
Faithful

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the updates---I have family in CO.

--------------------
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

We had a good bit of rain in Florissant and Woodland Park today but in Colorado the weather is very sporadic. I don't know if the fire areas got any of that rain.

Royal Gorge in Canon city is basically doing clean up as it is contained.

They are still evacuating in the Black Forest fire area. Will update as I learn more.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for all the updates!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Red Flag warnings for most of Colorado. Storms have brought some rain but lightning has started some small fires that were put out fairly quickly.

Black Forest is lifting some of the evacuation areas from manadatory to voluntary but a wind shift can change it back to mandatory. Now 85% contained.

I think the lost homes count is around 530.

So the red flag warnings mean that the fire situation is high for a fire starting anywhere in the flagged area which includes Colorado Springs.

If you go to weatherbug.com and look for national alerts, you can see what areas are highlighted, and the red flag warning goes into New Mexico.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I heard today that most of the fires are of suspicious origin. Did you hear that too?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

No one knows what started most of the fires except the one at the Air Force Academy that was small. That one was definitely from lightning.

At least one near me was from lightning. The other one was suspicious and someone who heard some chatter on the police scanner said a person started that one.

There will be a thorough investigation of the two big ones especially Black Forest where two people died trying to get out. If a person started that one, the charge will include murder plus arson.

Lots of lightning tonight. There is rain this time but lots of storms in the forecast and the lightning is what people are worried about.

Pine trees go up fast when they are hit. Unfortunately, I am in a very forested area right now on the edge of a mountain.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Will keep you in my prayers!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Black Forest is contained. Now there is clean up going on. Many homes destroyed and no power in most of the area.

Red Flag warnings for fire here just about everywhere until Thursday evening. Small tornado in La Junta after all the storms went through yesterday.

Still nothing about how the fires were started but there is a press conference at noon here today and maybe they will say something about that then.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

200 acre wildfire burning in Jefferson County just south west of Denver. We can smell the smoke as the wind is blowing this way.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Dang!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

Fire in Walsenburg SW of Colorado Springs.

It is going to be hard for people to report fires as there is smoke blowing throughout big areas.

The state doesn't want a 911 call unless you actually see flames because smoke can come from miles away.

Makes it hard to know if you are in immediate danger or not until the fire is big.

I found a website where people listen to police scanners and hope that will help. I am buying one of those things as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, I had to sleep with the windows closed last night. The smoke gave me an immediate headache and made me feel sick and we are not sure which fire burning is the culprit.

There is also a fire up in Jefferson County west of Denver.

Fires start easily in a drought especially in the mountains, so living in wooded areas in CO is a choice you have to decide if it is worth it or not.

We love being in the mountains but are going to move in a more open that has much less trees. We won't be able to move for two months yet. The electric company takes a long time to bring the power in.

Teller country where we live is smokey from fires all around us.

Fire warnings in Arizona and New Mexico too.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

Mandatory evacuations south of Walsenburg. Fire is now 10,000 acres. Weather is not cooperating at all so they think it will be several days to contain this one.

This fire is a little over 2 hours from us but their is smoke haze where we are. Windows are now shut again.

Red Flag warnings West of I-25 through tomorrow. I expect they will be extended. It is not usually this warm here and we are very dry.

If the winds continue, this fire could surpass the Black Forest fire which was the biggest in Colorado history. They have almost ruled out natural causes for the Black Forest Fire but are not releasing what they know yet.

The fire in Jefferson County is still around 500 acres so they are not speaking much about it yet but the fire is 4 miles from Buffalo creek. There is a huge pre-evacuation area set now. No containment as of yet.

New fire in Cotopaxi now. No details on the size of that one yet.

--------------------
Faithful

surprise
Member # 34987

Wow, this is just AWFUL, evil if it is an arsonist.

--------------------
doing okay!

faithful777
Member # 22872

There are 9 wildfires burning in Colorado now. Black Forest is contained but still burning. Lightning has been ruled out as the cause but they still don't say what they think started that fire.

East Peak by Walsenburg is the worst one burning right now. They believe lightning from recent storms started this one. Smoke is causing a haze everywhere in most areas and even with the windows closed, I can smell the smoke in the house.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

http://www.denverpost.com/coloradowildfires2013/ci_23507057/multiple-colorado-wildfires-burning-some-at-zero-containment?source=rss

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/OVERVIEW-Fires-Burning-In-Colorado--212298181.html

[ 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: faithful777 ]

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

East Peake fire or near Walsenburg is 15,000 acres now and only 15% contained.

West Fork is 76,000 acres burned.

People are starting to move back into Black Forest.

Still many new fires cropping up. There is a haze across the mountains.

--------------------
Faithful

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hope they all miss YOU! Any rain lately?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

faithful777
Member # 22872

We had rain last week and that helped the firefighters put out the Black Forest fire but no rain in the forecast at all.

I hope they miss me too, I am not renting in a good area for a fire to start. Lots of trees around me.

--------------------
Faithful

faithful777
Member # 22872

There are so many fires burning right now I can't keep track.

Now there is a fire warning at the base of the Wet Mountains near our new property.

I am glad the house isn't there yet.

--------------------
Faithful

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement