LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » DR J - CT MEDICAL BOARD UPDATE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DR J - CT MEDICAL BOARD UPDATE
t9im
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CT Supreme Court has sided with the CT Medical Board, not Dr. J.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/external/supapp/Cases/AROcr/CR309/309CR62.pdf

**edited name of LLMD**

[ 08-10-2013, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is he "done?"

The info in the link makes no sense to me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read through it quickly and skimmed parts. Basically, his appeal was denied.

So, that means that the lower court ruling stands. The lower courts all upheld the medical board. This is what the medical board had ordered (reading from the link):

"‘‘As a result of these findings, the [board] ordered a reprimand, imposed fines totaling $10,000, and placed the plaintiff on probation for two years. In addition, the [board] required the appointment of a physician monitor to conduct regular reviews of the plaintiff’s patient records and meetings with the plaintiff."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is terrible [Frown]

So upset about this [Frown]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TF:
I read through it quickly and skimmed parts. Basically, his appeal was denied.

So, that means that the lower court ruling stands. The lower courts all upheld the medical board. This is what the medical board had ordered (reading from the link):

"‘‘As a result of these findings, the [board] ordered a reprimand, imposed fines totaling $10,000, and placed the plaintiff on probation for two years. In addition, the [board] required the appointment of a physician monitor to conduct regular reviews of the plaintiff’s patient records and meetings with the plaintiff."

OHHH... I only saw page one which says nothing.

So he can still practice. I hope he can do what he NEEDS TO DO for his patients!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The "appointment" of a physician monitor -- If the IDSA appoints, that would not be good. It does not say that he would be able to select the monitor for himself.

?

This really does sound like an anti-trust case. Where someone is held to conduct their business in just one way, the IDSA way.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember what Burrascano said when he himself was ordered to hire a monitor. He said the cost of doing this was prohibitive! I think I remember something like $10,000 per month? So, this cost alone can put a doctor out of business. Having to pay this for the next 2 years. This may be why Dr. J appealed this all the way up. He may have to close down shop with this added expense. Just my guess.

The monitor is just to make sure that the doctor keeps complete records, etc. In Dr. Jones' case, I believe he took compassion on a mother and ordered treatment for a child he never saw. The mother told him things over the phone that led him to immediately help the endangered child.

I believe he knows never to do this again. (Have to see the patient before you try to help him.)

So, in his case, the monitor will be there to be sure he doen't help anyone this way again.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That does sound prohibitively expensive. Arrgh. I feel for the children who will now suffer... and for their parents.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens, and this has happened to bio- medical Dr.s treating autism,

is the parents divorce, it gets nasty, money, and this issue comes up (treated child for so and so by so and so means)

Now some autism Dr.s have a document that must be signed by BOTH parents that they agree to treatment, before starting treatment.

Because some have gotten sued, hauled before medical boards, after parents divorce/split up.

I believe this is also why this came up for Dr. J.

Furthermore, some states (the one I am in) you can have your child treated (prescriptions prescribed) by a Dr. practicing in the SAME state you reside in,

WITHOUT having physically seeing the child first- but must be seen in person sometime within the first 12 months to continue after that-

but of course, blood tests have been reviewed, other forms of recent testing, etc.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the requirement for a monitor only for the two years of probation? If so, how much of that time has already gone by?

Thinking about financial management of this - hopefully it's already being handled.

ILADS has something like 200+ members, I believe. Seems to me they would want to help take care of this.

The math:

200 docs @ $50/month contribution = $10,000. That's chump change.

100 docs @ $100/month contribution = $10,000

50 docs @ $200/month contribution = $10,000

These are a few of the lower contribution examples. Contributions could also be higher, like if a core group wants to give $1000/month.

It could be set up with docs choosing which level to pledge at.

This would not be hard for them to do, as many charge pretty high patient fees.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Sounds like a plan, Robin! They should want to save one of their own.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI everyone:

I believe this does not change Dr. J current practice in the sense he already has had to comply with the monitoring while the appeal was taking place.

Yes it does cost him over $5k / month just for the monitor reviewing his cases. One staff person is dedicated to the case files being reviewed.

His 4 year monitoring ends I think in March of 2014.

Unfortunately knowing the medical board they will go after him again.

[ 08-11-2013, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that's not too bad, in the scheme of things, if this monitoring cost ends in March 2014.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the monitoring has been ongoing- a pain in the back side- and VERY expensive- but he will do what must be done and not give up on helping the children. His love for them beats all.

Your donations help keep him in business. Very much so. Thank you ALL for that.

Some of the individual LLMDs (NOT ILADS) have been contributing to the monitoring fees to help him keep the doors open. They have been a real blessing. I don't know what he'd do without them, or what the parents of the children would do.

And blessed are the children who are helped by this dear and wonderful man and his staff.

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to the information if anyone wants to read more about it.

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/overview-summary/update-winter-2012-13

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, anti-trust was the way the CT AG went after the IDSA several years ago (if I recall correctly). Unfortunately, that group then was able to appoint their own review board and the guidelines were not changed.

Then the govt run guidelines clearinghouse decided this review meant the guidelines could stay up past the usual 5 year sunset period. All around corrupt practices, and those medical boys can run circles around a legislator who wants to change them.

The Texas medical board is being sued for their corrupt practices (not lyme related in this suit apparently), so when someone here wins the lottery big, I suggest that would be one way to use the money.

Don't you drool at those big winners, even though the odds make it hopeless for all but that person.

[ 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement