LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » My dog is very ill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dog is very ill
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dog was admitted to the animal hospital due to possible kidney failure. She was just diagnosed in June with kidney disease. The past few days her appetite decreased, wouldn't play and began vomiting. They are giving her IV fluids, antibiotics and measuring her urine output.

I am so worried about her. We adopted her from a shelter about 2 yrs ago. We were supposed to foster her, but you know how that goes. She came to us very aloof, not interested in people or affection. Within a short time she totally changed. She is a lap dog, can't get enough of pats and snuggles and loves to sleep between us.

My other dog is confused, not sure where she is...we haven't had that much time with her it seems so unfair.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [group hug] [group hug]

praying for your pup

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww.... I'm so sorry to hear this!!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen, your sweet dog is so lucky you adopted her and love her so much. She is in my prayers.

Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry. They are unconditional love in fur and four legs.

Will be praying for you and your puppy.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. [group hug]

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for all of you......and yes, I think you are right about your dog missing her too.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this....it is never right or fair when our furries get sick.

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh so sorry Ellen! I'll be keeping you and your sweet doggie in my thoughts and prayers.

My pets are family and I love them very much. So I can imagine how concerned you must be.

Hugs. You are loved here.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is she doing today?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We went to visit her today. They said she is their best patient and they all adore her. She seemed more alert and was happy to see us, Her levels have not changed much but its only been 24 hrs. They have offered her food but she refuses so they said to bring in some of her favorites. I have made a care package of chicken, carrots and apples to bring over shortly. I'm so anxious to get her home.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw Ellen, she sounds so sweet! It is great that she is more alert. I hope she can eat the food you bring her.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hope she can go home! My border collie loved apples too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Ellen. I am so sorry to read this. I hope tomorrow brings better news. Is the the girl who had tbd's a whole back?

Sending healing vibes out to your sweet girl.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope she's doing better and can come home to you soon.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoping your four-legged baby makes a speedy recovery!

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor baby, and poor you. She'll draw comfort from seeing you. I hope she eats her care package. All-meat baby foods tempt my cats when sick. Sending hope and hugs for your precious girl.
Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope your doggie improves and will be able to come home.

Sending hugs

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Thanks everyone. We brought her home yesterday. She was not improving there and refused to eat so we decided to see if she would improve at home. They taught me how to do sub q injections. She finally ate about 8oz of chicken tonight. Earlier today I was thinking we had made a mistake and were keeping her alive for us as she seemed so uncomfortable. Hopefully this is a turning point.
Sammi
Member # 110

I am so glad she is home and eating--8 oz is a good amount! She missed her family.

I hope she continues to improve!

Anthropologista
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anthropologista     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad she ate the chicken and is at home! I give my cat with chronic renal failure regular sub-Q fluids. That's a wonderful support for the kidneys.

Hugs and good luck!

Posts: 431 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping my fingers crossed. Hugs and belly rubs.
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope she continues to improve, prayers up for your pup.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

just checking in to see how your dog is doing, hope everything is okay
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Thanks everyone. She's been home about a week and I wish I could say she has improved, but sadly there hasn't been a whole lot of change. They taught me how to give her sub q fluids whichhas had it's rocky moments which resulted in me crying feeling totally inadequate at times. Her lack of appetite has been the biggest struggle. There's times she won't est anything and then she will est a few meatballs or a toaster strudel. The vet said not to worry about what she is eating right now as long as it's something.
We are getting a second opinion on Saturday as I feel her current vet is wonderful but is lacking when it comes to alternative theories/supplements etc. It's been extremely hard yo know when the time is right to say goodbye. Just when I think we have reached it she will go play with a toy or jump on someones lap or run in the backyard. The past week has been an emotional roller coaster for sure.
Just as with lymenet I am so amazed and grateful for the people I have met thru canine kidney support forums. They have offered so much in the way of advice, doctor referrals, free supplements from those that have crossed over to offering to come help with sub q's. Thank goodness for the internet nowadays!

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Ellen. The support shown is amazing and well-deserved. Having recently sent my best girl to the Rainbow Bridge, I totally get your conflict of if, or when, or where, etc.

I'm happy to hear she is still playing on occasion, that means her spirit is still strong. I agree with keeping her content and comfortable and yes, spoiled. Feed her whatever you think she'll love.

In her last days, I gave my girl ice cream, filet mignon, pizza, a Philly cheesesteak...absolutely anything she fancied. All the talk of not feeding dogs people food goes right out the window as well it should.

You probably already know this, but dogs eat with their noses first. So if it is something that smells good to her, she'll try to eat it.

So I say, out with the kibble and on with the roast beef, steak, roast turkey and well, anything, including stinky liver and the like.

For my girl, the day before she crossed, I even gave her chocolate cookies, ice cream and tootsie rolls (she really gobbled them up....and then smiled at me in joy.)

You will know when it's time, at least it was that way for me. I saw it in her eyes and felt it in my heart.

But I didn't want to waste one moment with her and never cried in front of her. I talked to her about everything happening, acknowledging what she was going through, how I would protect her and put her first always, that I loved her, that I would ensure she didn't suffer and gave her kisses and hugs and gentle body massages and respect for a magical life well-lived.

You are already doing all of that and I think she's a very lucky girl to have found you in this life. She knows it too, I can guarantee you.

That being said, I so hope she rallies and that you don't forget to take care of yourself during this transition time. I know the physical and emotional toll it is taking on you and also know you won't let that stop you from loving her the best way you know how. Being there with her is the best gift you can give each other now.

Blessings to you and yours.

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 13 year old Australian shepherd has had kidney distress on and off over the years- this is an herbal I've been able to use to help clear her kidneys. Don't know if you've seen it before but just thought I'd share in case it can help:

http://cedarbearnaturales.com/store/products/kidneybladder-aid/

They used to make it for just pets, but now they don't- same ingredients though

Sending prayers for you pups health [group hug]

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Healthywealthywise, your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for your kind words. This is all so hard and emotionally draining. Each time I go through this they take a piece of my heart with them. I've struggled with guilt. Guilt for not recognizing the signs earlier, guilt for giving her needles causing her pain, guilt for trying so damn hard but not being able to get her well.
I've struggled with feeling like she'll leave here resenting me for causing her pain and discomfort in trying to heal her.
I wish I could say I have not cried in front of her, but I cry ever day.
Tomorrow we will meet with a new vet and from there I hope we will either be on a path to healing or leave there knowing it's time.
Daynise, thank you for the info I will look into it.

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

I can't say it any better than healthywealthywise. And if you know you dogs heart as well as I think you do, resentment is the last thing she'd feel towards you.

I hope the new vet is helpful during this difficult time. We are here for you and thinking of you and your sweet girl.

Ellen101
Member # 35432

We said goodbye to Roxy last night. We knew it was time. I do wish her last days could have been better . That we could have given her forbidden treats, showered her with things she could enjoy, but sadly she was too ill to do them. I'm left with the guilt that we waited too long. Tried too hard. I really thought I could save her and in my quest to do so I feel like she endured too much. My heart hurts and I'm finding it hard to stop crying.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's so hard to lose a pet!!

Looks like you gave her a lot of care and love, what she needed.

Re guilt, we're not perfect! We do the best we know how to do at the time. Maybe for any next time, you'll make some different choices regarding early attention to any symptoms.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Ellen, I am so very sorry for the loss of your girl Roxy.

Please do not have any guilt. Every single thing you did for her was pure love, and Roxy knew this. You changed her life for the better!

You are in my thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

No guilt!! You loved her with your whole heart and she knows that!!

Many blessings that the pain will ease.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Ellen, I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Roxy.
Hugs Ellen. My boys are my first pets ever. I don't know how I will deal when the time comes, but I find strength and promise in those like you who deal with it with such grace and humanity. Roxy would not want you to feel guilty. You and your family were her everything!

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Ellen, I agree w/all here. You DID do everything you could...she knew it. In her own way, she is the one that made you decide it was time. They know...and let us know.

Her last days were probably half way between there and here. You just let her make the jump to peace.

Believe that. I never met you, but I know you would move heaven and earth for your Roxy.......just think how well SHE knew you.

You'll breathe again....give it some days stretched out and it will get easier. You'll remember all the good days she had...the fun...the laughter...the treats....THAT was her life.

Bless....

[ 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: healthywealthywise ]

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Ellen
I can really feel for you. We allways look back and think about what else we could have done.

This is normal and no one can be perfect.

I had my Daisy in the house I had an old coat with the fake whool inside for her to lay on, soft, and was cooking her food.

She was blind and deaf and older than the hills.

She passed quick and peaceful.

She was a weimaraner beagle cross.A hunting dog to the extreme.Many a run in the woods we had together.

She flash pointed birds and tracked rabbits.Even would yipp like crazy when she got close to the rabbits.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

I am so sorry for your loss.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement