LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Does your Bucket have a hole in it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does your Bucket have a hole in it?
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being of retirement age I often hear friends discussing their "Bucket lists". In 1992 my husband and I did a low budget drive around Europe. We had such a good time that we planned another trip 2 yrs later.

I had a hard time keeping up, had to stop for 2 nights, not 1, etc. We had planned to go every 2 yrs, each time to a new place. I speak French, studied art and architecture....my husband is a history buff and great navigator. So he drove. I negotiated.

I can't do the math, but it's been many long years without a vacation of any sort. So when I hear people worrying about carrying out their bucket lists I keep silent. My bucket has a hole in it. It's called Lyme Disease.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bucket is full. Full of so many blessings even though I cannot travel far.

Today I drove across town watching the most gorgeous sunrise.

Today, one of my students beamed a huge smile when she saw her good grade on her quiz.

Today, the bagger at the grocery store offered to carry my items to the car.

Today, my neighbor shoveled my driveway and walk.

Today, I read God's promises to never leave me even in my times of struggle.

I have Lyme Disease, but my bucket is full.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear BOTH of you loud and clear!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bucket List (On a day like today)

1) Keep Food Down
2) Hope Hands Don't Go Numb (so I can use a gravol suppository OR just grab an apple)
3) bathe or get dressed or change my underwear
4) Eat twice so there's food for the abx
5) Be able to sit up after taking the meds
6) Stop crying

Bucket List (On an OK day)

1) Watch a soccer game in Europe
2) Go to the Smithsonian research facility in the Panama Canal and help research 3-toed sloths
3) Go to the Artic to spot an Arctic Fox
4) Survive the Drake Passage
5) Adopt a child
6) Volunteer at an orphanage oversees

There is such a disconnect between a bad day with lyme and an OK day with lyme... That is what I find the most frustrating.

I just wish the days were more even.
Just when I feel things are possible, cutting and eating an avocado becomes my daily success story.

Isn't there a song, "There's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza..."

Some days there isn't even a bottom.

Other days the bucket is reinforced with a padded handle!

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything's relative, I guess. I haven't been able to drive, cook, shop for 10+ years. I got sick suddenly in 1988, had to close my business that had been generating hundreds of jobs. I've missed the births and early yrs of first grandkids. Etc. Etc.

BUT I am blessed with an awesome spouse and we still are in our home...for now. I can now, after many years in a fog, read a book. My speech is much better.

I've been playing this game a very long time.

By Bucket List, I meant a list of things I had planned to do once in my life....goals. Right now I just want to be healthy enough to get out of bed every day. Everything else has been reduced to trivia.

--------------------

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken a lot of things out of my bucket

Its ok

I find things most days that bring joy: a sunset, a flower, a text or call or pic from one of the kids, a chance to help someone instead of needing help...

But still in that bucket are: having regular time with horses-even if icant get on, kayaking, and having some sort of regular visits with my kids and grand kids...even if it isnt very often

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Oh, and thank you, Greta, I do try to remember to change my underwear! [Smile]
Of course, if that had been an item on my true Bucket List I'd have kicked it around the block! [bonk]

--------------------

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a hole in it but I still keep trying to re-fill it. Sometimes I actually get ahead of the curve/outflow rate.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lp, I just seen your quote signature. Oh my exactly what I truly believe with all my heart and soul.

If you are not your own doctor, you are a fool.

by Hippocrates-founder of Medicine.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
faraday, keep trying to plug that bucket. Don't give up. Even if you get it to just drip even every once in a while, it's worth the work.

I had a bucket list and one was to go out west. Now that g-boys are 10 & 13, my mind got to thinking how we could rent a RV and go see some of God's country out in Midwest & western states.

So time with boys and fun on the road with Papa & Nana. My husband did some searching and it would take us 10-14 days to do all of the list.

The reality is I don't know if I could actually do this for that many days at this time? Maybe next year will be better.

I just moved it down my list. Reality is a trip for 2 days later in Feb (winter snow permitting) to go 2 hrs up the interstate and watch the boys in a indoor 84 degree water park, have a great time.

This winter in the Midwest has been freezing and snow and the worst we've had in a decade or longer. 84 degrees with my Kindle in my lap sounds great. Papa and grandsons laughing and playing and me catching some pics.

It's reality.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I turn 100, I want to see Monet's Garden in France and the Pyramids in Egypt (if it wasn't so dangerous).

But right now, seeing a warm, sandy beach and a palm tree in person would do my spirit good [Smile]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Now lax, why did you have to mention the sandy beach and palm trees? I was just thankful for a trip to Wolf Lodge and 84 degrees.

Now you got me thinking Caribbean vacation and no extra funds for that???? Lax!

[Cool]

Pam

--------------------

lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just dreaming map! no funds here either [Frown]

But if supplements were gold, I'd be a billionaire [Smile]

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lax mom--had to crack up and laugh at your "if supplements were gold" comment.

Laughter is a great way to plug the hole in the bucket for awhile. Thanks!

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost everything with this horrible disease.

Now, I don't even have a bucket..... [shake]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

I've got my meds and my supps lined up on the counter this morning.... today Sunday is my fill my weekly morning, noon, dinner, night organizer up with everything.

Some days they really do get caught in my throat. I have to eat something to get them to continue the journey. OMG, unbelievable.

Pam

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first became too sick to work or do household chores I ran across a lady on line who said she had CFS.

She explained like having a bucket of water. Every day you don't know how much water will be in the bucket.

And the goal is to end the day with a bit of water still in the bucket. Not to let it run dry as you would need to spend several days down in order to get enough water in the bucket to do something again.

I have enjoyed reading what I was able. I'll be back ro read more.

But, when I saw the subject line I was reminded of the lady in Alaska with CFS

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost my bucket list, and I can't remember where I put it, nor can I remember what's on it.

Maybe when I kick the bucket, my family will find the list, and they’ll go where I should have, if I hadn’t lost that damn list…

O-well, I'm thankful for what I do have, and looking forward to see what happens in the future...God only knows.

“Let's be thankful for what we have; and we'll end up having more. If we concentrate on what we don't have, we will never, ever have enough”

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Steve.

[Smile]

I am grateful for my soft housecoat. Aside for 2 hours on Saturday, I have been in it since Wednesday night. It is the only piece of clothing that "comforts" me.

I am grateful for it.

It cost 19.99 and boy oh boy, have I ever got my money's worth!

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a modified "spoon theory" kam

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Yes steve...positive thoughts... positive thoughts.....

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Steve! Made me laugh too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts of this thread this am when I tried to go to the grocery store this am and had to turn around and come home because hwalth wasn't doing well enough.

Instead of focusing on the can't do's...I focused on being thankful I have a caregiver coming this am so she can get the groceries fo rme. [Smile]

There is lots of other things that need to be done in the hour she is here..but food is the most improtatint. [Smile]

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

sorry my brain and hands don't always communicate the same thing
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, you’re not along... This past Sunday (Super-bowl), I went food shopping, what a mistake.

I was fine when I entered the store, and then all hell broke-out about 30 minutes after that.

PANIC ATTACK!!! I was going to leave, it was pretty bad. I decided to get in line, I found one that only had one person in it, seemed simple enough.

I wanted to tear the “young girl’s face off” that was on the register. Why, she was joking and talking with two young boys, and taking her sweet time running my food through.

Somehow, I don’t know how; but I held my cool. She knew I was pissed by my expressions, but I couldn’t say a word, or I would have been in jail for awhile.

I guess you made a good choice not going food shopping today; I’ll do the same the next time 

Hope you feel better.

Steve

-

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Steve that just happenrd to me. It was a small place - i knew the manager-but i suspect she is gone...i was disgusted with help making sandwiches with hair hanging all over, not wearing gloves like they are supposed to, and one was r re ally rude-telling the other she didnt have to wait on me...that i could wait...she said it 3 times...i could hardly stand

But i needed to be there but i will call to see if it changed hands

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

That disgust me too. I was in a small sandwich shop about a month ago, same thing (The hair thing & no gloves).

Even worse, the guy in front of me got his order and the sandwich maker took his money (no gloves), yep-the DIRTY money.

Next he asked me what I wanted, I told him and he proceeded to make my sandwich, you know where I'm going with this right?

He just took dirty money from someone and then he started making my sandwich and didn't wash, nor did he put gloves on, disgusting....

I'm going to start turning these people in (as of today)-we all should. We have regulations and it seems no one is following them.

By the way, I laughed at him and walked out, no sandwich for me that day!

PS. And people wonder why I don't like eating out!

Steve

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement