LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Has Anyone Regained their Brain w/Treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has Anyone Regained their Brain w/Treatment?
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tested positive for Lyme and started minocycline. I feel like my brain has been deteriorating over the last 7 years I've been sick. It hardly functions anymore. I used to be smart, but I'm scared that I will be like this forever.

My question is: Will my brain get better with treatment? Will I be able to think and speak the way I used to? Or will I always have numb brain?

I'd love to hear stories from people who have regained some cognitive functioning with treatment.

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)
Tested positive for Lyme and RMSF in Feb 2014 / suspected Babesia as well

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My worst brain issues were caused by candida/yeast. Once I got a handle on that, I began to recover my brain!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have regained better cognitive functioning.
I absolutely believe it's possible,
with proper treatment.

One clue was when watching TV shows or movies at home with my husband, he still at times feels he has to explain the plot, or 'something I might of missed'

Nope! I got it, thanks! Now it's kind of annoying, lol.

Now if I'm really tired, and sometimes I am from overdoing it, or poor sleep the night before, my speech gets lazy.

But I have gotten better with the neuro.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lyme for 12 years.

Lots of coinfections. Bacterial and viral. Positive mycotoxins. Positive heavy metals-lead, thallium, cadmium. All in all a neuro mess! Haha.

Been treating 10 months. Multiple antibiotic combinations, oral and IV.

I have snapshots of time of my old brain back.

Of clarity.

This morning is a great example. It lasted for 6 hours. (normally I get only 10 minutes or so of clarity).

This morning 6 hours! Woot Woot!!!

It was wonderful. I was witty, sharp, humorous, quick, smart and on the ball with funny rebuttals.

It was great!

So YES! Absolutely possible!

But you have to have an ILADS trained doc. A doc who is comfortable using combinations of antibiotics in high doses at the same time, and a doc willing to treat coinfections as well.

And lymetoo is spot on. Candida also causes neuro issues, which is why most of us try to eat low carb/low yeast producing foods.
That and it is safer to with all the abx we take.

Do you have an LLMD?

[Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there IS hope! :-)

I do not have an LLMD yet. I have finally found a few names in my area and am looking into which I want to see.

In choosing an LLMD, does it matter their specialty (gen prac, neuro, rheuma, etc)? How do you pick?

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)
Tested positive for Lyme and RMSF in Feb 2014 / suspected Babesia as well

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting my cognitive function back. At one point I couldn't figure out how to form a thought when my then 2 yr old son was talking to me. It scared me to death.

It used to hurt my brain to try to think, do the budget or even put the meds and supps in my weekly medicine box. I'm able to do all of those now.

I suggest you get Dr H's book "Why Can't I Get Better?".

Then you'll be ahead of the field and will know that you need to treat more than just the infections. Lyme screws up the whole body.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I used to have such a difficult time focusing. Communicating with anyone was absolutely pitiful. My progress was slow, but treating babs/parasites helped me the most (babs is a parasite too). I also agree with Lymetoo, getting a handle on yeast really helps.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will come back. It does happen in small snippets but eventually you will notice that you have a few clear hours, then days.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have brain issues , from making up words saying wrong words,

not being able to add 1 +1 etc , reading , peoples names ,family members

But with treatment it has gone away .

For me i think it was all the meds amd supplements that crossed over into the BBB.

as faithful says It will come back.

It does happen in small snippets but eventually you will notice that you have a few clear hours, then days.

Posts: 238 | From Where | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ames777:

In choosing an LLMD, does it matter their specialty (gen prac, neuro, rheuma, etc)? How do you pick?

-
No.. EXPERIENCE is the key. Find someone who has had SUCCESS in getting patients well.

PS.. It would be very very rare to find a neuro doctor who would know a single thing about Lyme disease. There are only one or two rheumies who know anything about it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement