LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Statin drugs and side effects

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Statin drugs and side effects
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always heard statin drugs were bad for you.

Never knew what they were or for.

Was checking out at wally world pharmacy and lady says YOU can take these???

She said sh could not as the side effects of statin drugs were too harsh for her.

said didnt know it was cause it starts with an A and it was just a choloesterol reducing pill

She said it was generic statin and watch out.

Took it a couple weeks now and got caught up in a weird deal Monday.

Started at normal time at first job,,,4:55 am pounded freight away till 10 am. Then did an errand and delivered some stuff to my cousins wife

Started second job at 11 am and more heavy frieght away till supposed to go home at 4 pm.

Boss says I need this stuff done today. YOU stay till it is done,,no sooner no later

Didnt get any breaks or food all day,,on feet pounding concrete constantly except when on a ladder

I went home at 9PM and was all in. Feet were starting to pinch.

Sat down for a bit and feet really hurt,,,didnt think much of it

next morn at 3:30 alarm my feet were really sore. Took some tylenol and didnt help much. Later took Excedrin and helped alot

Burned like achilles tendon was on fire from middle of foot clear up back of leg into the knee Next day a bit better

This morning thought it was all gone. Went to work this morning all okay,,,

clocked in for 2nd job and hour later was hobbling like a 165 year old man.

right back to same crap and wrists feel tight too

Is this statin related?? and what do I ask for that isnt??cholestrol drug wise?

Either that or i am crash dieting and losing 20 to 25 pounds

Thanks for any help, sorry so long,,,sorry spell checker isnt workin now,,,just dings at me

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Don, there are a lot of doctors now saying that colesterol is not what plugs blood vesils.

Allso taking colesterol drugs may be causing alltimers. The brain is made of fat basically
and needs the colesterol to stay in shape.

I have had a weight problem this winter.The Adkins diet works for me.Meat fat does not make a person fat. Breads,sugary stuff causes weight gain.

I got rid of 6 pounds in a week and a half. I am going for 5 more pounds.

I want to weigh 145.

Sounds like you have a boss that is the East end of a west bound horse.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would NOT take that %$#%!! There is more damage than just to muscles from them.

Cholesterol is not as bad for us as SUGAR!

You can take red yeast rice if you feel you just HAVE TO have something to lower your cholesterol but it can cause trouble in some people.

There is also policosanol that is supposed to help. I flat out would not worry about cholesterol.

How high is yours? What is your HDL and LDL?

-- PS .. I agree that it can cause Alzheimer's. Google is your friend!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/20/the-truth-about-statin-drugs-revealed.aspx

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. It affects your tendons. Very common for it to be achilles. The lowest dose put me in walker. 2 ortho docs could not figure it out. Many tests.

I researchrd online-found out about statins-stopped mine and 10 hrs later could walk

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also cause muscle wasting. My bf's dad kept and keeps losing weight and is exhausted all the time since he started statins. his pill pushing doc has testing everything from kingdom-come but won't believe the statins are causing the muscle wasting.

a 5'8 man in his 70's should not be 130 lbs. His doc is god so he takes those bloody statins.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I have 3 friends for whom it caused severe muscle pain. Tendon pain was included, I'm sure.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope your doc told you to take coq10. You must if taking statin. But best to stop statin. Coq10 can only do so much

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what can some of the issues of red yeast rice be?
I was going to ask my bfs dr to let him do that instead of the metoprolol(generic Lipitor).

my bf is on statins after mild heart attack, his cardiologist never told him to supplement with coQ10, luckily I saw the info on a health show.

He's having some memory problems and trouble keeping weight on, so hopefully he can come off of it.

justdon, maybe check with your dr top see if you can try the red yeast rice, sounds like the statins are causing you trouble.

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
metoprolol is not generic lipitor, think you are confused about this.....it is a beta blocker typically used for blood pressure or heart issues
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried cholestoff for several weeks. I had to quit. after I took it I would have shortness of breath, chest pain and dizziness.

I asked my doc and he said oh thats a statin jus natural.

I cant take that stuff.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

dogmom .. It's my understanding that many of the cholesterol drugs are made from RYR. My husband took it for 5-6 yrs with no troubles.

The Dr later switched him to policosanol.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Red yeast rice never worked for me

I take policosanol to prevent breast cancer...didnt know it would lower lipids

But if med is for bp this whole conversation is messed up

--------------------

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, I meant atorvastatin.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing for blood vessils is niacin ,but get the flush free at first then work up the stronger stuff.

I have trouble taking niacin it revs up my Touretts.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't take any statins, have tried them all. I get depressed, have weak muscles and joint inflammation and pain. No fun.

Exercise (you are getting plenty of that, Don!) and good diet.
Reasonable low fat, low sugar, low salt, smaller portions.

Hope you feel better by now, Don.
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

My brother likes the niacin

--------------------

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
update---

Doc said go off for two weeks,,,,see if it gets better.

then start them again and see if they do same.

YIKES start this crap again???

Never heard of taking coQ10. Whats that all about?? Whats it do for you?

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I cant explain it but its important

In europe docs always tell patients to take it

Someone else will answer

--------------------

dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

statins interrupt the pathway of the body's production of cholesterol. unfortunately,part of this pathway is also involved in making coQ10.

so you block the production of both by taking statins. could be very dangerous.

surprised cardiologists and other docs don't automatically have patients supplement with the coQ10 if someone has to go on statins.

[ 03-29-2014, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: dogmom2 ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think doctors are too afraid to recommend anything other than a drug. Most have no experience with anything natural.

Don, no way I would go back on that %$#%!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

http://coconutoil.com/statins-worsen-brain-function-of-alzheimers-sufferers/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin K2 will pull the calcification out of the blood vessels and put it where it belongs - in the bones.

Low sugar/low carb diet, and healthy amounts of Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) will do more for lowering cholesterol than low fat diet.

Also need to avoid trans fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, as is commonly found in many packaged foods & some margarine)...

IIRC, cholesterol is used by the body for immune system function (white blood cell production), hormone production, and also in Vitamin D processing...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

justdon, are you taking a break from the stains now? Are those symptoms better?
just don
Member # 1129

I thought they were better till yesterday. My right achilles heel,,,tendon maybe about killed me.

Unless it was the weather

Or the steel plate in their working loose

Or too much ladder yesterday.

Pick one or all/

Today will be a bear,,,4:55 am till 1030 pm will test my feet again.

Guess thats what they call working morning noon and night

--------------------
just don

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Be sure to take tons of quality magnesium, don!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement