LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » need advice plz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need advice plz
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We really need to clean our carpets, but I am afraid of the deodorizers etc that they use.

They haven't been done in three years, because last time, they just used water and didn't add the chemicals.

The house still smelled because there was obviously residual stuff in the machine that stunk up the house anyway.

So, I ended up staying in a motel for several days because I couldn't breathe in my own house.

I thought of buying my own carpet cleaner/steamer and not using any chemicals at all, but don't know how well this would clean the carpet.

Is there anything 'safe' out there that we can add to the steamer to clean and deodorize?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I steam clean my own carpets with a (Dirt Devil?) Turbo Spin Vac. (the name escapes me, it is a grey machine with neon green brushes).

It is easy to clean, and sucks up the moisture. My carpets are dry in an hour.

The carpet soap from the same company has a slight scent-but it is important to use something that doesn't leave a residue and drys right away.
It would be too scented for those with MCS.

Water will not do this- your carpets will be damp and then you could have mold.

Could you do a patch test with a "small" amount of borax (20 mule team) and water?

If it doesn't bleach your carpet, it could be a safe product to use as the main cleaning solution. You may have to spot treat and hand scrub the bad stains before hand, then do the entire carpet with the machine.

You would have to rinse afterwards ( so two runs over your carpet), and I was thinking the rinse could be water mixed with vodka. The vodka will speed up the evaporation of the water?

Just brainstorming here. Borax and So Clean washing soda I use for my laundry. It works good. It's no Tide for stain removal, but it doesn't irritate my skin and has no scent.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vinegar? I put it in my dehumidifyers and wassh vacume parts with it-it kills/repels mold and you dont have to wipe it off

When it dries you dont smell it-i dont react to it even when i smell it

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement