LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Our Puppy Pill Battle...Aarghh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our Puppy Pill Battle...Aarghh
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< LymeNet Family >>>>>,

Our Pup dog who will be nine this summer is having skin issues, and hates his medicine.

He knows he needs to take the pills,sometimes even comes to me to get them,but he has a hard time of it.

We get the pill/capsule or caplet way down in his throat, and he tries to swallow it, then he tries to chew it, then to spit the meds out.

They are not the kinds that can be broken up in food, or hidden in a bit of cheese.

Muad'i dog has a skin infection and an ear problem. the vet says it is skin disease and Chinese Crested Terriers seem prone to the problem. He is half Crested/ half Min-pin.

He has to take a prednisone tablet, and cephalexin, plus ketoconazole right now. At the moment he gets five pills a day.

I feel bad for him,and for me too, we get a pill in,it comes back out his mouth 5times today w/ his dinner waiting.

He tries,we give a small bit of a snack that spits back out too.Ohhh poor doggy...OOhhh poor me...Aargh.

Hopefully he'll feel better soon, in a couple of weeks he wont have to take as much medicine,but I am glad,even w/ our battle we were finally able to take him to the Vet.

In a couple weeks, he will be getting some special medicated shampoo/conditioner, hopefully by then he'll be on the mend...

Hokay Dokay, returning y'all to regular General Support vent over...

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pill pockets! They are doggy delicious and you slip the pill inside them and they gobble it up. My yorkie doesn't even chew. We just had dental surgery and had to give antibiotics, these huge peptide bismol size diarrhea pills, and heck, I even put the heart worm spongy thing in a pocket of deliciousness. It's great. Place the pill in. Conform around it and drop it on the floor. Voila. Gone.
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Petco, pet smart, or local animal store. ^_^
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver, that sounds terrible!! I'm so sorry for you and your doggie!!

I hope you are able to get the pill pockets!!

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apill%20pockets

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the pill pockets do work from what I've heard. Good idea!

I've used peanut butter in the past cause they can't spit it back out. A 1/2 spoon of peanut butter licked off the spoon, then a little more of a serving with the pill on the spoon stuck in the peanut butter. Once they know the peanut butter is ok they usually don't mind the pill, although I did have one dog that would roll the pill around in its mouth, while licking the peanut butter off it, then spit out the uncoated pill.

Hope doggie is better soon!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there <<<<< 2roads, Lymetoo,and Tincup >>>>>,

Thanks for the pill pocket idea, hopefully we can check it out soon. There's a Petco or PetSmart close by. If we can find it,and it works,and if Muad'i dog likes it. We may be using that Amazon site to get more!

Sometimes he's kinda fussy, but it may be 'cause he hasn't felt good for awhile. We've been saving up to get him into the Vet. They wanted us to get a special shampoo/conditioner to fight this skin ailment.

We have to wait, so hopefully the meds will help him. Been concerned, because we lost his 'big sis' Sihayah the fall of 2012, due to a skin and ear problem.

It got into her kidneys, even w/ careful bathing and meds. A groomer friend helped us keep her bathed,and we got to have her for a couple more years after the initial infection.

Muad'i misses his 82 lb big sis' Sihayah [Husky/Chow/Wolf cross] even now it seems, I know
TxC' and I still miss her, and we don't want to lose this little guy too. He weighs in at about 13 lbs right now.

He's a character, always hungry, funny gap tooth grin, but prone to 'Crested acne'. He is quite playful, and prone to nap attacks.

And the Chinese Crested part leaves him w/ an odd 'hairdo', thin black fur down his sides and on his chest and belly. Thicker fir down his neck and shoulders, and the coppery color on legs and muzzle. What bit of tail he has is a little bit of a nub. [He has the min-pin Dobie markings].

He thinks hes' a 100 lb attack Dobie, until the wind blows and a leaf moves, then he runs to hide behind us.He's a good doorbell alert for me tho' as I am now hearing impaired.

Thanks for the well wishes for him, and the info'!!! We apprecaite it greatly!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi...and TxC' too

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sounds like a sweetie!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Sure does! Let us know how it goes?
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi there <<<<< 2roads, and Lymetoo >>>>>,

Pill Pockets: YEAH!!! Bite chomp gone [Smile] !!!

Muad'i liked the treat, and it makes the pill giving much easier!!!

Just praying the meds work, his ears are less painful now,and his legs don't have puffy tender acne, but his belly/rib area is still like old crinkled leather.

I wish we could have gotten the medicated shampoo/conditioner for him,but we'll get to do that in a couple weeks.

He's had skin trouble since he was a tiny thing,but usually we could get it calmed down. This time it wasn't calming down.

Chinese Crested need more frequent bathing
and as he is half, he should be bathed more often than we do. TxCoord and I don't have the energy, like I'd wish.

We take him for a bath but can only afford about every twelve weeks,he'd probably do better about once a month. I try to bathe him now and again in the shower,but no energy most of the time.

And w/ water going off at random times here, it's probably better to let the groomers bathe him. I know their water wont go off w/o warning.

Thinking of finding some sort of gentle, economical pet wipes, if we can find something w/o a bunch of chemical junk in it.

The Crested breed has an unusual oiliness to their skin, but they also can sunburn easily. He likes to sit in the sun for a few minutes, that's the Min-pin half I think,but we have to keep watch so he wont sit out to long.

As summer comes in he'll have to stay mostly in the shade. Because he doesn't have that much fur, and it gets really hot here. Last summer it got to 118 F*. Even he didn't want out for long w/ that heat.

Will update as we see if the different meds work, thanks again for the pill pocket idea!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
put it in a piece of hot dog or wrap it in peanut butter.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's awesome news, Silver!! [Smile] woot!

I wouldn't try any wipes. I can't imagine they would be good for his skin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dinovite vitamins.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< randi', and Lymetoo >>>>>,

So far the pill pockets are a huge help!!!
I think Muad'i likes peanut butter too,but that'd be a last resort, he is allergic to some odd stuff.

For instance he is allergic to wool,trying to remember some of the other things Cresteds' have to avoid. I know TxC' gave him a small amount of Peanut butter once just to try.

I've heard of Dinovite vitamins, have to check prices,when TxC' can do so. I'm stuck at home right now.

Lymetoo, yes, I'd wondered about if pet wipes were safe or not? Trying to think of things we can do,w/o a lot of bending down,to help keep doggy cleaner.

Sometimes we just gently clean him w/ a moist soft washcloth. At least we can get some of the dust out of his fur. It's been windy dusty lately so we try to keep an eye on Muad'i's time out doors.

Every day he seems to be scratching less,and his acne cysts are finally calming down again. He is also wanting to play a bit more,altho' the medicines make him tired for a couple hours afterward.

Poor little guy,after another week he'll only have to take four meds instead of five. We were discouraged not to be able to get him in any sooner,but finances just didn't allow.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions for our fur baby!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

randibear
Member # 11290

we usd to put bacon grease on randis food. she loved it.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement