LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » people with big yards / gardens / gardening. how do you do it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: people with big yards / gardens / gardening. how do you do it?
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so we don't have much- like a half acre , but I used to live in the garden so we have so many flowers and shrubs. how the heck do I take care of this now??

I can't do it all physically any more, plus I am afraid and I spray and wear rubber boots and try to protect . lots of wildlife here. and I shower immediately when I come in and put the clothes in wash and all that. but this is impossible to keep up with!

I don't really want my kids doing it either because they will NOT even spray. everytime the son cuts the grass I have anxiety attack.

I stopped feeding birds and don't fill birdbath any more.

we can't move - long story- so what do I do? let it become a jungle? all our neighbors are affluent and have perfect yards.

what used to be my source of solace and therapy has become a giant curse.

what does anyone do about this???

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make the neighbors mad. I go out to putter...get tired...and leave a mess

Oh...and only perrenials

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One tool that can be used for trimming back vegetation in a safer manner is a long-handled cutter that holds the cut vegetation until you put it somewhere, so you don't have to get up close to the veg being cut back.

It's at www.wildflower-seed.com, called something like a cut-and-hold pruner.

If you say you can't do it physically anymore, you may need to give some thought about the situation, as in keep it and have perhaps a gardener take care of it, or remove it and replace with something simpler.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, perrenials only kayak! I love them. never bought too many annuals in my life, and but now so I have a huge garden with tons of perrenials that need work!

and Robin, I can't hire anyone becasue we are broke. like almost living in a cardboard box broke.

I do have some pruners but still only work on some of this jungle.

I guess either I let it go or let it go.! or dig in and live in fear. we have several large trees too , including pines. and I lost the tick tubes I bought last winter. in the house somewhere in a 'safe' place. and now I just bounced like 4 payments at the bank at $39 each penalty! so there goes any extra spending cash whatsoever.

sometimes I really cannot stand myself. my FIL is in hospital dying so nothing seems important today anyway. ....I don't know why I posted this question in the first place. what could there possibly be to do for a garden other than garden it! or plow it over and plant all grass.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we have free sites where you can offer plants and ppl come and dig them out...but yould have to keep an eye on them so they didnt make a mess

Once i got a bunch of phlox and once daylilies

They take care of themseves except when the spread too far

Iriss too

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

that is so cool kayak!!

how do I find one of those things to do this? I will google free plants and see what comes up

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa.. maybe look for some online Facebook groups (local) that people buy or sell from. There are also sites where they give away stuff.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

good idea about facebook.

I also have sent emails out for a couple years telling my neighbors and relatives to come get whatever they want. not many people too k me up on it though

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Craigslist has free section

Freecycle is a site

On facebook some towns or areas have free site

--------------------

beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to live in my yard. Thankfully most of the front and the back now consist of flowering shrubs and trees, aka little maintenance. I have some perennials but they are not ready to be separated at this point, whew.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

my biggest issue with the aspect of gardening is the weeds. I have large mulch areas and groundcovers and lots of leaves from several large trees in the fall..... and I have not weeded diligently since getting really sick about 2 years ago, so some of the areas are full of weeds, and they are not the easy pull out kind. they are wild strawberries . they are a real pain in the ars. and the one whole side of the house is covered with giant thistle- no matter how hard I try and spray or pull them, every year they are worse!

and we have some vines that really got out of hand. noxious vines that will kill all the flowers and even large bushes and trees. they are getting out of control. and that stupid Virginia Creeper! ugh. it climbs everywhere. I guess I have to just suck it up and pull it all out. spray myself and hope for the best.

it's either that or move, which we can't, or burn it all to the dirt!

I used to prune all the trees myself, but now cannot and don't really want to anyway incase I shake critters down on myself. I guess we will just have an embarrassing yard. o well.

--------------------

hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa--I would put your kids in hazmat suits and send them into the yard--LOL.

Seriously, get your kids to wear long pants and shirts, tuck their jeans into their socks, spray them with DEET and get them to do the work.

Then do a tick check.

I understand the fear as I have 1/3 of an acre and lots of flower beds. Sometimes I mow and sometimes I hire a teenage boy to mow, but I never let the grass get very high due to my fear of ticks.

You could till up part of our your yard where the vines and the weeds are the worst and put down pebbles or gravel and stepping stones--that requires some $$ but may be doable.

One other thought. Is there a church you go to? I found a nice retired gentleman at church who prunes my shrubs and trees. I can't balance on a ladder anyway to do it myself.

He kindly does it for free.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

If you dig up to put stones in lay landscape blanket thing first to keep weeds from coming back

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

kayak, no money or physical strength to do that change over, but I wish...

hiker, haha. my kids will do nothing I ask. nothing. they think I am too paranoid about ticks. even though they saw me crying in pain and a walking zombie for months. remember the line from The Who???? "hope I die before Im old" or whatever .. thats what people in their late teens early 20s think. no concept of reality until you are late 20s maybe.

I ask them for help with dinner and they say their too busy and then ask me whats for dinner 5 min later! like I guess I wouldn't need help if I didn't ask, rigth?? selfish are kids these days and maybe because I taught mine to raise themselves pretty much so it is comning back to bite me in the behind!

anyone... so long story .... sorry! the kids would run away if I ever tried to spray them or tuck their clothes in.

having a really bad day!! sorry to be a smart mouth!! [Frown]

--------------------

Edessajarrue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edessajarrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Permathrine.

You can soak your clothes in permethrine, line dry them, and wear them into the garden. Ticks literally curl up up, fall off and die from the stuff. DEET has minimal effect on repelling ticks.

You can wash the clothes like 5 times before retreating them. Heck, throw your old garden sneakers, hat and/or hair scarf into the treatment bath.

Two warnings I know of are:

Do NOT apply directly on your skin. You will overdose.

Cats: If you own them, they will get very ill/die if they come into contact with permethrine.

I hope you find a way to enjoy your gardens again. I know how therapeutic working in them can be for people.

Good Luck!

-Edessa

Posts: 138 | From Eden Prairie, MN | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edessajarrue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edessajarrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh.. you can make your own version of 'tick tubes'. take empty toilet paper rolls and/or papertowel rolls.

Soak cottonballs, the hair from your hairbrush, dental floss (anything a critter uses to make a nest) dip in permethrine, let dry.

Stuff cotton balls into empty paper rolls. Toss them around areas where mice, birds and other critters will steal the contents. They will also take the paper rolls and use them, no mess, no fuss, no cleanup for you!

Thus, less worry for you!

-Edessa

Posts: 138 | From Eden Prairie, MN | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Edessa i have been talking about permethrin a long time as the only thing we have that kills ticks even.before they touch it. Did you read tom griers writing on that? Do you know him? He has been one of my heros for a longvtime

I think many on here dont want to deal with permethrins cuz they canbe dangerous. To cats as you mention..also to fish. If a fisherman is wearing permethrin he wont ctch any. They will be gone as soon as hook or lure hits the water. Thatscwhat i was taught. Goid thing...becaus . the permethrin is very bad for fish

I know all this and wish there was something safer thatvwould realy repel or kill ticks butvi dontvbelieve there is even tho many products advertise they do

So...i still use the permethrin. I often buy one ofvthe horse sprsys. I always spray the outside ofvmy riding boots andvhave never seen a tickbin thevpasture or on a horse when i do this regularly

At home i spray it lightly on dog bed once a week-ten days or if i see a tick

I spray part of car dog lies in. And if i pull a tickboff i spray dog lightly all over...keep her on white sheet and comb her to be sure there are no more

There is one thing that concerns me about your post. I would be afraid to treat my clothes the way you ssy. I know they do something similar to hunters clothes...but i would not want the permethrin next to my skin. It is pretty nasty stuff. Until there is something else that works as good as it does i will use it cuz lyme isvpretty nasty too

But i know a light sprayingvon outsude of clothes and shoes
And on the dog is plenty to repel/kill ticks before they get to you

Perm can cause some bd sx in.ppl

--------------------

Edessajarrue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35310

lpkyak,

I met Tom Grier awhile back. He did a presentation about Bb at our Minnesota Lyme Disease association. Superduper smart guy. Friendly to boot! I have also read what he has put online. I haven't read his book however.

Good to know about the fish for our avid fish peeps. I don't catch them and rarely eat them, so either way they are safe from me & permethrine!

A good cautionary catch about bd sx's via skin exposure from clothes.

I would agree with your assessment of clothing. Perhaps wearing a layered set of clothing would work. The one next to your skin not treated and the top treated. showering immediately upon enterng the house.

Actually, I like the idea of just giving a light spray over the top of my clothing, just enough that it doesn't soak the fabric completely, but stll \ kicks tick butt. I wouldn't think that the fabric would have to be totally saturated. just like you would do with a quick DEEP spray job?

The year I was btten/infected, I had two ticks riding a bush at armpit height right where I get out of my truck everyday. Their tiny mandibles reaching outward, waiting to grasp the first thing that looked nummy was dumb enough to brush them.

I imagine if you're on a horse, your sprayed boots are good to go. P

I believe my tick attached while I was working in the garage recycling comuters for 3 days straight on and off. Hadn't left the house or the garage area. Both myself and my partner found ticks crawling on us. I was the unlucky one to have one attached to the back of my knee. I suspect it was there at last 12+ hours as it had already started to engorge.

I have the orkin man come out every-other month and spray around my condo. At least the tick bush and the rock bordered gets hosed down. but the grass is association property and isn't sprayed at all. So it's tick haven with the marsh and all the wildlife coming up onto the drive.

My therapist wonders why I ham fearful of outdoors. Thinks I am being irrational. I just give him a bit more info on tick born diseases and what it has done to my body/mind and leave it at that. Well, then I do stare at him to see if he is going to challenge me again about the outdoors. lol He leaves it alone until the following session and we start the 'educating the a psychologist' once again.

Thank you for your reply and your great insght and contribution lpkyak!

-Edessa

LisaK
Member # 41384

where can I get the permethrin?

I bought tick tubes from that company and put them somewhere "safe" a while back and now have no idea what my lyme brain did with the package!!

ha.

kayak, how can you spray dog or bed, etc? I thought this was a no no?

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I didn't know he wrote a book! Hes so good at what he does but inever hear anything about him

Yes i meant to mention the layering of clothing but my fingers were tired...i wonder if they tell the hunters that buy the pre treated clothing to do that

I think a little permetgrin goes a long way. Lightly spryed clothesor light spray on dogs tummy and feet/legs or horses lower leg

It seems to me-and this is from20 yr experience the dogs, horses and my boots shoes walking around on grass/pasture repels ticks for a long time

I suspect if a robin drops one wherr we have walked it cuts down on new tuck. New eggs etc

My friends and family think im crazy aboyt outdoors...not just ticks soon as its dusk and skeeters are out...i am gone. No matter how goodcthe company or sunset...bb is in skeeters, biting flys, all kinds of bugs

I kinda get a pass on the skeeters since we have west nile and eeeencephalitis

As i have gotten older-been dealing with lyme in me and family members 30 yrs-i am.more confident in the importance of not getting reinfected...or newly infected with sime new bug...

And at this point in my life frankly(scarlet) i dont give a damn how odd therapists or anyone else thinks i am. Im.in survivak mode...i want to squeeze as much out if this life as i can...i know what the future brings if heros like tom and alan and willy and eva are not abe to find the answer to cure these chronic diseasei. n time for me

Good conversation...tom isnt mentioned on here once. In the beginning when i was so sick and foggy his writings were a blessing. So easy to understand for sick, lay person...yet totally accurate and with full documentation

The sneaker experiment was great

Lisa...when i was raising family in tick(hudson)valley on a horse farm.with two black dogs i made a few decisions...

-treat the bite quick with abx...there has been controversy about that over the years

-use permethrin in a smart way...therr is a lot of controversy about that...it can cause nerve damage and maybe cancer...i dont know...but bb was causing me huge pain and preventing me from taking care of family...so i chose to protect myself as much as possible

I was 15 yrs without tx and am.permanently disabled

All my kids, grandson dil that got fast tx for bites and fewer bites cuz of permethrin and other things i did have gone on to much healthier, productive lives than me

My schnauzer lived to 17-thats pretty good

Everyone has to make their own decisions when the powers that be have not solved the problem

One more thing...edessa....you can buy granuals...like fertilizer...at the feed or lawn and garden store that has permethrin in it

Once i got a load of mulch that was crawling with ticks. I coverered it with that stuff-lightly sprinkled...it was late fall but ticks do fine here in winter

I have not seen. A tick yet in the yard...its been two years
But you guys could get that and lightly sprinkle(with gloves) along paths or on bushes a couple times a year

Its kind of a moral decision i guess. I dont want ti kill ticks(or anything-i mean its not the ticks fault...they dont make us sickbon purpose) ...but when you suffer and watch your kids suffer...and cant take care of your family...for me...the right decision was to do wht ut takes to keep from being bitten

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Sorry bout the typos...i cant fix them.now

--------------------

Edessajarrue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35310

LisaK

Amazon has permethrin for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=permethin

Your local farm/feed store (lpkayak) might have less expensive, larger quantities. Call ahead for pricing is easiest when comparing pricing. May save a trip as well.. Lawn and garden might have it, but will probably be extremely pricey for very little amount.

Ideas for use:

Sprinkle granules on new/old mulch, around bases of trees, bushes, flowers, rocks, shady areas where they like to breed and hang out. (lpkayak)

Note: Ticks have a herding instinct. They will flee poison quickly - always start closer to buildings and walk forward away from. Don't herd them toward your home or flower gardening work spots. (utilize tick tubes homemade or store bought)

Spray outside clothing lightly. including shoes/boots socks, hats (wear a scarf underneath hat to avoid contact with actual permethrin on your head).

If you get liquid permethrin, try pouring into spray bottles to get a light, even coating without soaking through clothing.

Idea: Have a pair of work clothing for your kids you can spray and that they can change into at your home while doing yard work.

Wash permethined clothing separately. Permethrin will linger up to 5 regular washings on clothing.

Please designate garden clothing as that. Wearing them to other ppls houses with cats, fish or avid fishermen may cause animals illness and perhaps create a very frustrated and confused (LOL?)fisherman when his/her luck goes down.

Lightly spray your dog along with brushing after outings into the yard or other playtime areas. Use sprayed white sheet for pet to lie on in the car. (LPKayak).

Shower after each outing like you say you do.

Put yard clothing in dryer before washing. Dry them for up to an hour high heat (some say 20 minutes isn't long enough). It's the heat that will dehydrate them and kill them. Then wash.

Wash clothing treated with permethrin seperately

Ticks thrive in moist environments for a long time, washing doesn't kill them and may end up depositing onto new wash clothes when you next wash.

(might as well only wear out quicly only one or two pair of garden clothing at a time with high heat instead of all your clothing)

AND, finally. A lice comb for your hair if you are really cautious (or paranoid like me).

This is by no way exhaustive. However, it is a good place to start. Pick and choose what you think will work for you. There are no wrong or rights here. It is what brings you the most peace of mind.

Plus, we really really want you to get out and enjoy yourself again.

With your family member being deathly ill, thinking about things that are totally different than what is going one really is a normal reaction. Our brains need to do that to keep a sense of stability and de-stress from sorrow and other stresses in life.

Virtual hugs, gentle prayers of hope and healing to you and yours as you navigate these hard times.

-edessa

lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend built some raised beds for me which I use to raise organic produce. A few years ago I discovered that I felt better if I ate organic. I also feel better when I eat fresh produce out of my beds. A win win.

This year I put in an arch using a cattle panel for vertical gardening. They are permanent and, I'm pretty sure, require only initial installation. No trouble so far. Info available on youtube.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Lymenot...raused beds are in my future. Riggt now i have 12 2x2' cedar planters ..they work good with wheel chair

I saw tomatoes done vertically once in a paved parking lot in a city...pretty cool

I worry about acid rain and all kinds of pollution...do you think it affects food? I had a lot of brocoli, kale and lettuce last year

A bunch of potatoes the year beforr

This year so far mostly perrenials to get organized and move out to perrenial beds

--------------------

cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diatomaceous earth?

I have read that this is great at making a physical barrier against ticks. I plan to try it this year around the edges of my yard.

two fences? I am serious! My outer fence keeps most of the deer out. I have another interior fence -- i have not seen them come inside the inner fence.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement