LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » replacement window?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: replacement window?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started sneezing again after I eat or drink. figure it's allergies.

our house is 30 years old and has cheap single pane aluminum builder's windows.

I want to replace the windows because some of them are broken, 4 out of 12. you can't raise them. you pull and the window goes up an inch and then you get this twang and it gets stuck. husband says I don't know how to raise a window....duh

I figured new windows would help with air quality and noise. and with lyme sleeping on a busy street is sometimes tough.

he said too expensive, you never get money back, ripoff etc.

but has anybody done it? my two sisters did it and love their windows.

with all the dust here it would have to help just a little.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother had all his windows replaced about a year or so ago. I don't think he had any issues with dust, but the outside noise is WAY down.

He can drive up the driveway right by the kitchen window and you barely hear it.

I would think they've seen rewards on the heating and AC as well.

Lots of money went down though.

PS .. I think they got double-paned windows.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may also qualify for some tax rebates for making the house use less energy.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, check into the tax rebate.

I had 15 windows replaced 10 years ago. It was a good move.

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want real high end like my sister has. she spent over 12 grand, course she has it, for pellas that have shades in the window.

just want single hung good windows. but some of these companies, like champion, do have alot of complaints. maybe local companies are better.

I would think if youhave lyme they would help.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what are you looking for, replacement windows,or new construction with a nailing fin

Lots more work in the latter,,,usually only used when new siding is applied also.

Pella, Anderson,and a few other brands are not that good of quality but sold as top notch

Do a lot of online research before you buy,,,dont buy based on brand name and supposed TV ads. Most are over hyped.

I have Gerkins replacements in my house and couldnt be happier with them.

Their are other great quality windows at reasonable prices

Your so called mouse in your house,aka, oops, spouse ;could be a real man and install them.

If he said he doesnt know how,,,he CAN learn. Seminars and u tube tutorials all thats needed

It isnt rocket science.

My single pane wood windows WITH storm windows on them,,,would rattle in the wind,,,,no more.

And when it gets 20 below little frosting and 100 plus very comfy inside.

You do want low -E and argon filled. You can get grills inside or the internal shades,,,

dont know about long term maintance on those tho,,,but it would class up any house with the grilles.

They dont cost all that much if you install them yourself,,,

maybe you or M.M. might have a carpenter buddy to hire on an easy moonlight basis...He MIGHT learn by doing a couple.

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubt windows are going to help allergies

buy over the counter Claritan, benadryl, or Zrtec.

Cheap and effective

Use at least every day from now to after first killing frost,,,pollen counts will be sky high till then

Go to your local big box store and buy allergen furnace filters when they go on sale,,,,

or online and buy a case at a time

If that doesnt cure it go back and buy a air purifier for your living room,,,and if that works buy another for the bedroom.

Dont buy windows to fix allergy,buy them cause you NEED windows. Do allergy stuff cause you have allergies!!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by just don:

Dont buy windows to fix allergy,buy them cause you NEED windows. Do allergy stuff cause you have allergies!!!

-

Good advice, don!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

geezzzz don. I get it.

but look, if you have 12 single pain aluminium windows and four are broken and don't raise, and you live on a busy thoroughfare with cars and trucks going by all day and night, wouldn't you want new windows? many of our neighbors have replaced theirs.

these look cheap, don't block any noise, don't work.

if you were going to buy my house wouldnt you want windows that work? we did replace the furnace and it has allergy system.

granted our bills are low but thats when the air is off. in summer when its in the high 90s and even in the 100s are bills run over 120 to 150 per month.

I know its not much but I don't consider long term investment when ibuy something. this is my last house so why should I care? but if something does happen it would be a selling point.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
randibear,

you should not have get anyone's permission for this nor plead your case. At least from the sounds of it, upkeep of the house is in the budget.
Yes, I do think they will help keep dust and particulate matter out but also other benefits.

But, no, major allergy relief would not likely come from just this, though, I do think this is important even just regarding that aspect.

Still, each time you open your door -- and surely windows will also be open during nice weather -- then the outside will come in [but you will have control over when that is] . . . so a comprehensive approach to allergy control is still necessary.

Replacing ill fitting, broken windows will help prevent mold from settling into window jams and walls, too, from rain leaks. This is a major reason to consider this.

A window expert will have more good detail, of course. Even your power company can help with your choices as well as the American Lung Association - talk to someone at your local chapter about this so you know the best styles to keep dust out when you need to do that.
-

[ 10-19-2015, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

my husband told me I could have them if I wanted them. same with the car.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sorry, and I apologize if I misinterpreted that aspect. I may have misread some of the statements and heard a different tone than you intended.

Now, then for the search & homework, I suppose. Good luck with all that. As for noise blocking, be sure they have a certification on that. Some have vague claims but some really do have the certification to back up their product.

They may be able to also spray in some foam insulation around the windows into the walls. Some (but not all) of these are fine regarding off-gassing but it would be good to study the options in advance.

If the walls are hollow, good windows can help but may not be as effective as hoped - for sound reduction. When replacing windows, they can make that a little better. While not able to shoot the foam into the full wall cavity, maybe at least for a certain distance from the windows.

Maybe they can be all done by the holidays for a nice new look and quieter home.

Caution on the caulking: you may want to arrange the actual installation for a day when you have the house open and air flowing in case the caulking has a smell to it. Also a span of dry days just prior and time of installation is helpful.

You might check out the website for "Ask This Old House" for more detail. My favorite show ever!
-

[ 10-19-2015, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, for cleaning, some styles have the most nifty design where you can open the top part and have in angle down into the house - like an oven door with a middle hinge - you can wash the "outside" of it and then close it back up . . . all from the same spot inside. No gymnastics required.

The lower part is also easy to clean but I can't quite picture how that went in the commercials I saw.

At least in the comparison stage, don't shy away from top name brands as they may work with you on a price break - and the warranties also matter when you can get those on paper from a company that will likely still be in business many years down the road.

Some companies may have their windows in certain hotels near you, or business buildings. This is a great way to explore options, too, and talk with those who work in such places, go into a hotel room for a half hour and test it out.

I once considered this for windows that advertised "quiet" and were in a hotel right next to a freeway.
-

[ 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

just don
Member # 1129

I guess I was not clear. I DO THINK YOU NEED WINDOWS!!!

I also think MM should install them,whole nuther story.

EVERY house NEEDS good windows.

MY point was your windows dont have to cost that much.

I bet if you worked at it you could get NEW REPLACEMENT WINDOWS for less than 2K...(Or the price of less than one hunting trip)wink wink.

Dont buy the cheapest you can get.

Dont buy the overpriced over-hyped brands that are sold on exaggerated claims and values.

Take your time,ask around, you dont NEED to rush into something today, this week or even this month or next.

Pick a style, features and get quotes from at LEAST half a dozen if not a dozen different suppliers.

Try buying the windows at a supply place like a family owned small lumber yard etc. Try not to buy fromthe people who install their own windows.

YOU take a couple lessons,,,have your husband take several more,,,even IF you dont do it yourself,,,

you know HOW it should be done so they dont screw it up for you

Nothing worse than expensive windows put in all wrong

You do know you can put in 3 or 4 windows this year,,,wait till next spring,,pay cash and put in 3-4 more. And finish up the next year.

makes it much more do able, personal energy wise, and money wise. $500 bucks a pop should get you all you need.

--------------------
just don

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There may be some kind of program at your area community colleges where students could help with such a project for reduced cost, too. They would have an instructor oversee the work.

I could not find an key episode for you but have certainly seen these guys do several over the years. For a start:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/

'Ask This Old House' TV - sort episodes by category

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/windows

Windows [scroll down to see all the links]

All you need to know about windows, including information on double-hung, sash, bay, storm, and casement windows, dormers, trim, and glazing

https://thisoldhouse.netline.com/toh0002/?xid=marvin-window-guide

Read This BEFORE YOU REPLACE YOUR WINDOWS

We'll send you a private link to our downloadable PDF guide on replacement window products, created by the editors at This Old House.

Oh, just realized that I focused on just the "ASK This Old House" site. The other "This Old House" website will also likely have segments that you can take from programs where they replace windows.

While the same folks, their websites and episode lists / search functions are separate so it would be good to look both places.

[ 10-19-2015, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't think randi, nor her husband, are going to do the windows themselves. Some things we are able to do, and some things not.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

PS.. Randi told me she is leaving the board for awhile.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement