LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » where to find a ladies 4x winter coat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: where to find a ladies 4x winter coat?
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was talking to this lady I know. Said she had NO winter coat for living in the COLD COLD terrible winters we have here.

Supposed to be 20 below Sunday morning.

I have no idea about coat sizing. Is ladies sizes different from mens sizes? Would 4x in ladies be the same as 2x or 3x in mens?

I think even a decent hand me down would be welcome since she has no money. BUT where do you find gently used ones?

If anyone knows of a source I would gladly pay for same and pay shipping etc.Just has to be a 4 or 5 X

She grew up here but moved to Texas for a long while and doesnt like the cold here much.(Especially without a coat)

Any ideas???

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoatThe Salvation Army comes to mind, real cheap but most times in very good shape.

When it comes to coat sizes I believe it's the same real for men and women. If shes about 5'6 or so and weights about 180 I would guess she would be an (x-large).

The Salvation Army and locations>
http://www.salvationarmy.org/

Your a good guy, no one should ever be cold!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.womanwithin.com might have some coats -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got any consignment shops in your town? You're a sweet man for helping her out!!!

I have no idea about sizing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4X is bigger than 3x or xl...quite a lot. And often mens sleeves are way long. Robins suggestion is good. Its hard to find larger sizes second hand. Roamans.com and the one robin said are most popular i think. For me roamans stuff lasts a really long time. Longet than i want it to. All my painting clothes are roamans. Some over ten yrs old

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to amazon.com and in search write in womans coat 4 x a bunch pop up. Any that say "prime" are free shipping for those of us that have prime. Thry can be shipped to any address

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I think 4 x equals size 30....and 5x size 32. I found some at www.roamans.com.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Im having fun. Hooded down puffer jacket is half price (79.-89) if ordered in.next five hours.from woman within..have to pay shipping tho. Sorry i cant post link

--------------------

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all the great ideas.

She said she wore a 4X but maybe that was before she grew some.

When I mentioned 5x was thinking into the future a year or three.

The local thrift stores here dont have any 'larger' sizes

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, as lpkayak said above, Roaman's is good - there are three companies all connected with one another - Woman Within, Roaman's and Full Beauty - they all have larger sizes.

And I happen to be ordering my nonallergic clothing from Woman Within - the cozy sherpa fleece material - it evidently has no formaldehyde in it, which I'm allergic to, in clothing and many other products.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clue where to get a coat, owned very few in my life time cause I want to be where the weather suits my clothes.

Just wanted to say to you that it is a very kind and generous thing that you are doing.

Thanks for trying to help this lady, GOOD Don.

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bet, now that I'm thinking about it, is a mens store that has larger sizes, even a Walmart mens department may have coats to fit?

I saw one of the catalogs mentioned above years ago and they were a bit pricy in MY opinion, for MY budget. Nice stuff, but if she just needs to stay warm you don't need to break the bank to make that happen.

???

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about lane bryant? am not sure about cost.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd have to pay to get the sleeves shortened if you bought a men's size.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I just said that tutu! Half of my coats are mens anyway cuz theyre better and cheaper

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I think we could find one for about 50 and if shipping was free on amazon...?!? I ll look if ppl are serious about this. And send links to email or fb

Robin i got one ofvthose sherpa things for vacay last march. Comfy!

--------------------

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would vote for Lane Bryant also.

I have family members that love that store! They usually have sales. Also, most stores are putting out warm weather clothes now so coats should be discounted.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For a woman of that size, men's sizes will not fit and could make the lady even more depressed than she might likely already be due to circumstances.

Men's coats maybe be larger through the chest & shoulders . . . but men's shirts & coats are made much smaller through the hips (than are womens') and likely not be able to close or keep her warm enough.
-

[ 01-18-2016, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Kayak .. I was repeating it since TC missed that part.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have not already found a court, here are two more great options.

Burlington coats, they have all sizes even plus sizes and tons of coat styles to choose from. Was reminded by ABC news coat drive this am. Oh, and are usually good quality too!

One I forgot to mention earlier, Columbia brand coats. They are the only coats, jackets, and fleece products that I purchase. They have a helpful website. Their products are in most department stores.

They carry all sizes including plus (some refer to plus size as women's and regular sizes as misses). So don't let that through you off, give it a look.

Columbia also has outlet centers. I live near one here in Ohio. This is where I purchase all of my outerwear. Maybe they will have the same offerings online if you cannot get to an outlet.
Their regular priced sales in the department stores are great anyways so you can get great deals in many ways.

My Columbia winter coats last long before they go out of style. Usually I will trade mine with my best friend after 2-3years and wear hers for another 2-3years. The coats still look brand new!!!

With Lyme, I've gained and lost weight requiring me to get new coats. I would never dream of getting rid of my coats because they are still perfect, I can use them for many more years to come when my weight decides to settle at its happy point.

Other coats fall apart quickly and don't keep me warm. I FREEZE in the winter. These keep me warm, wash easily at home, and don't fall apart.

Needless to say, my coat closet is full of Columbia and a couple Pretty Pea coats for church thrown in!

🙂

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement