LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » And the losers are- Shapiro, Baker & Wormser

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: And the losers are- Shapiro, Baker & Wormser
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the losers are, once again… Shapiro, Phil Baker & Wormser.

They are taking advantage of the “fake news” media hype and slamming all of us again, just for being “us” and not being able to admit they are all losers.

Couldn't have an original idea of their own, so they wiggled their rumps into the current news cycle. How lame is that?

You’d think after 30 years they could get over it and just move on. Grown men acting like big babies. Shameful they are.

Good news- I found a free copy of their “manuscript”, saving us $35.95 per view. See free manuscript linked below.

Am J Med. 2017 Feb 16. pii: S0002-9343(17)30138-9. doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2017.01.030. [Epub ahead of print]

False and Misleading Information about Lyme Disease.

Shapiro ED1, Baker PJ2, Wormser GP3.
Author information

KEYWORDS:
Borrelia burgdorferi; Fake news; Lyme disease

FREE article (manuscript) here

http://tiny.cc/g25ejy

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They typically use this tactic to retaliate.

Here is one thing, the first thing, that pushed their buttons. (BTW- I had nothing to do with that bill because it wasn't a good bill- with this being one of the reasons why I was against it- nothing but retaliation came from it.)

QUOTE- "Despite such evidence, Lyme disease patient advocates have lobbied state legislatures in both Maryland and Virginia to pass laws that require physicians to inform their patients that a negative result from an FDA-approved diagnostic test does not necessarily mean that they do not have Lyme disease."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And LIE like a rug they do...

QUOTE- "False and misleading information about Lyme disease is not restricted to fake diagnoses, fake diagnostic tests or fake laboratory research.

One astounding claim is that Lyme disease is sexually transmitted [15]. The CDC has no confirmatory evidence that Lyme disease is sexually transmitted [16].

Furthermore, studies using well-characterized animal models of Lyme disease have found no evidence for sexual transmission [17]."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

OH DARN! They are unhappy because they can't get medical boards to nail ALL of our doctors.

And they feel sorry for insurance companies. boo-hoo!

QUOTE- "Politicians are attempting to displace mainstream physicians as diagnosticians in the complex world of Lyme disease by passing legislation that encourages the use of unproven treatments and that requires health insurance companies to pay for unsafe remedies with no documented benefit and well documented adverse effects.

This makes it difficult for medical review boards to safeguard public health by disciplining those who put patients at risk."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

And guess who paid for this garbage?

YOU DID! Your taxes at work...

QUOTE- "This publication was made possible in part by support from CTSA Grant Number UL1 TR001863 from the National Center for Advancing Translational Science (NCATS), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), to EDS."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't drink the kool-aid !!!
Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

No, drown them in it!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are getting angry !!! [Big Grin]

They know they are losing battles, and then decided to write that 'paper' without any research proof, anyway.

Do they call that a 'scientific paper'?

That's just bashing.

Look at the language they use!? Even my English is better!!!! [Big Grin]

It does feel like their brains are affected... Probably with chronic lyme?!!

They said 'we are the doctors and we know nobody has chronic lyme disease, so don't let our politicians diagnose'.

MDs X politicians, how cool is that ?! [woohoo]

Now they found something else to go against: whole lyme community + some politicians who support chronic lyme!

I find that pretty cool. Thanks for posting that paper. They are SURELY getting afraid!!!

Let the pressure go on!!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, I thought they invented Fake News years ago.

Funny story on you and me....for months I've seen you post about McStupid. I kept trying to figure out why MacDonald had ticked you off. I was baffled.

Then a couple weeks ago you posted on McStupid and I finally was able to figure out the rest of the story.

Sometimes us Lyme folks are a little slow.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very telling....

Thanks Tincup!

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey Brussels,

BTW- Not until recently did I realize your name came from an area where you reside and you weren't just a big fan of brussel sprouts. For YEARS I've associated your name with the delightful little veggie. (Since map confessed, I figured will too! HA!)

And some folks think Tincup has something to do with golf. Not at all. It's from a Jimmy Buffet song.

And yes, they are scared. Not as scared as they are going to be when their new guidelines hit the press (law suits amungo), but scared just the same.

And not as scared as they will be if a vaccine hits the market again, but scared just the same.

Their ship is sinking fast, almost at the bottom of the sea now, and they are desperate to keep their rotten septic waters flowing into any place they may be accepted.

And what a shame the American Journal of Science accepted that trash, like you mentioned. Got to make one wonder "who's your bud? at the journal cause that should never pass as acceptable literature.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey map, talking about the idiots (not you- them!)

That is funny about the mix up, unless of course you are the dear, dear Dr. McDonald!!! I am so sorry that wasn't clear. I've been doing this for so long that I assume (bad for you and me) that folks just know. MY mistake!

If I may add, Dr. McDonald is a hero to me and the rest of the world and has done absolutely amazing work for our community and millions of others.

McStupid, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. I've never seen someone or even heard of anyone who get so much pleasure out of hurting people.

For anyone who is not familiar, this is McStupid. NOT our friend or a friend to the parents of autistic children.

In my opinion he is a miserable human being. In others opinions, he is worse and I can't say what they do on the board. Really, it is that bad.

https://sites.google.com/site/edwardmcsweegan/

And TNT- you are very welcome, always.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, these are awesome news. I do hope we're right and they are peeing in their pants!!

[toilet]

I live in Switzerland. I got mostly contaminated with Swiss ticks!!

But I get bitten wherever I go, so I got also some German ticks and Belgian ticks.

My daughter too, she's an international tick magnet.

that is what means, globalization of tick communities!!!

I just wrote Brussels when I lost my previous password, long ago... I was in Brussels then, visiting lymenet, and then decided on that name.

I'm not a fan of Brussels-sprout as I do think farmers spray too much crappy stuff on them, they taste awful.

I recently found some fresh organic ones, and they looked much better, who knows I'll be more willing to try these?

Your Tincup, I always imagine those tin cups people take for camping. I love them, sort of feels nostalgic, drinking coffee or mate teas around a bonfire or so!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Brussels,

Due to your exposure in multiple places, you should be named Heinz 57! HA!

But, I am truly sorry to know how many tick attacks you've experienced. Bless your heart. And your daughter too. Darn it all!

I happen to like brussel sprouts, and fresh from the garden is the best! I can eat them like tater chips!

And yes! The Tincup's remind me of the camping days. Never left home without mine, especially on long hikes.

And I have a small collection of them that I use to take to Lyme conferences (till they made too much noise)! At least I didn't need a name tag!

One of the tin cups is one Maddog got me years ago when we went canoeing on the Buffalo River. I smile thinking about it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Below is a response I wrote tonight to address patient's concerns to Wormser, Shapiro & Baker's disgusting article linked above.

If interested, my response can be found by our less sensitive and less politically correct friends at this link.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/idsa-panel-review/attempted-rebirth-of-the-original-fake-news

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Responses to this garbage article are coming in. Here is another one. (Embedded links documenting this info won't show up on LN, but were plentiful.)

Response to Article in American Journal of Medicine titled “False and Misleading Information about Lyme Disease” http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2017.01.030

We couldn’t agree more that false and misleading information is destructive. With that in mind, the article, “False and Misleading Information about Lyme Disease” is a textbook example itself of false and misleading information.

The first rule for identifying “false” or “fake news” is to look at the background of the authors.

As the disclosure statement indicates, Drs. Wormser and Shapiro are expert witnesses for insurers. As such, they are paid to protect the interests of insurers—not patients.

This paper is part of a long and lucrative career spent discrediting the suffering of patients as irrelevant by labeling their symptoms as “non-specific” or “subjective.”

The authors have successfully fostered a climate of Lyme disease denial that often leaves patients without diagnosis or treatment and insurers with no obligation to cover care.

The diagnostic and treatment guidelines for Lyme disease developed by the authors have been de-listed by the National Guideline Clearinghouse of HHS.

As the authors state, all serve on the Board of the American Lyme Disease Foundation, (ALDF), an organization recognized as an astroturf (fake grassroots) organization. As is the hallmark of astroturf organizations, there is no street address and no phone number available.

In addition, the true purpose of the ALDF is misleading: Foundations, by definition, “exist to make grants to unrelated organizations, institutions, or individuals for scientific, educational, cultural, religious, or other charitable purposes.”

In a 990 tax filing for 2013, the total sum spent by the ALDF to benefit patients is $2006—a sum that barely meets the standard of a bake sale held to benefit Lyme patients.

A good portion of the paper defends a test that is so inadequate and unreliable that several states require patients to be notified of the flaws.

But the authors do not support a more reliable test. Instead the authors double down on the flawed test.

It should be no surprise that Dr. Wormser’s disclosures include companies that develop and market the existing Lyme disease test.

No one can disagree with the authors’ suggestion that “time, attention and resources are being misdirected (and) could be better spent on research designed to address and remedy the problems that these patients have.”

However, Dr. Wormser was awarded a $1.2 million NIH grant to marginalize patients who remain ill. Again, this is a gift to insurance companies and does nothing except put obstacles in the way of patients who are disabled by persistent symptoms.

Perhaps most troubling is that this paper was subsidized with a $8,409,297 taxpayer-funded grant. This project did not meet any of the stated objectives in the grant abstract.

How did this classic example of fake medical news get funded and published?

Author's name withheld.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement