LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » DNA Ancestry Genetics Interesting Stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DNA Ancestry Genetics Interesting Stuff
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Lyme Family >>>>>,

Trying to think about other things beside the Sadness from the Vegas massacre.

I've been searching out various puzzling aspects of DNA profiles,as to ancestry.It seems that Native American Indian DNA maybe very difficult indeed to prove.

One online site prompted TrekC' to say...' oh Native American DNA ,can be a lot like the Average blood test for Lyme... a Negative just means it didn't happen to show up.'. Experts such as Roberta Estes, say False Negatives are very common.

An interesting note, if your parents grandparents [ your dads folks folk,and your moms folks folk] were on a documented Native Indian roll and one out of the 8 people wasn't full blood...

say someone of darker Italian and Welsh looks [or likely many a mix],adopted into a tribe. In some cases Peoples Tribal standing has actually been revoked as it doesn't always show up as Native DNA.

It is really odd, then add in Melungeon Ancestral Heritage [called tri-racial isolates]. And it gets even more confusing.

I knew my grandparents weren't joking about their ancestral heritage, but I think there's a lot even they didn't expect/suspect.

For me, I guess I'm a little bit of a lot of different groupings, and a bunch from the British Isles too. The more I find out, the more confusing.

But it is also a lot of fun... I'm glad to be a good old American Standard girl! And it is great to know I, as do many others, have relatives pretty much everywhere around the globe!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi adventuring

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]
I had no suspect of NA gene and it turns out I have some!

my mom said (after I told her) that she always "felt" like she was part Indian. strangely I have thought that too.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Lisa' >>>>>,

I suspicion many folk have the NA gene, and like the experts are saying, it doesn't always show up.

It is fascinating tho' either way!!!
TrekC had his done too, rather interesting to say the least!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we traced mom's side back to the 1700s when a young boy came over on a ship from England. lost it there tho.

embarrassing enough on dad's side. his mother was, ummm, how to put this...the town bicycle or of ill repute...anyway you get the picture. five children, all bastards, and heaven only knows who the fathers were. so complete and utter deadend there huh?

they'd have a field day with me....lol

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to do this. I've heard it's really cool to see where you are from.

Very cool!

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't give specifics, HW. From 23andme I know which general countries my ancestors are from.

I already knew most of it because other relatives did all the work back in the 50's.

I would love specifics even farther back. I think we have it traced to the early 1800's.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Randi', HW88, and Lymetoo >>>>>,

The Ancestral genetics is from 4 or 5 groups across the Globe. So it is harder to trace a lot of things. But it is interesting to see what can be learned.

One example they gave, was that some Japanese, and Samoan folk may show up as Native American Indian,and truly not be.

But the information they provide can give you at least a general idea. Scandinavian for example, they may not be able to tell which country such as Denmark, Sweden, Norway and so on.

Gotta go for now, but I'll try to get back to this subject soon!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

[ 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Silverwolf ]

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which testing company did you use, Silver?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

So far TrekC' and I have both done the 23&me ancestral genetics.

When part of our data seemed off, I started checking more info' on the Net. It is said that Ancestry.com uses pretty much the same genetics pool groupings.

Researching the matters has been very very interesting. I've found some fascinating info',and a *niece who did a school project w/ my mom's help, years back filled me in on some fun facts.

Much of what *she says and what 23&me says are close. For instance we have some Basque ancestry, but 23&me [or likely Ancestry.com]cannot tell if it is French or Spanish.

But we knew there was more Native American Indian, and it doesn't really tell much on that part. And there is both Sub Saharan and other African. I am mostly European by descent with some Iberean, that can be Melungeon because of the mixture.

Melungeon heritage can be somewhat difficult to track, but the whole thing is fascinating to me. And I have been trying to find information to learn more about family.

Gotta go for a bit, moving help is coming shortly. We are figuring out where to put things, until the back bedroom reno' is completed [hopefully early next week].

I do really enjoy learning about all this!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Silverwolf & everyone!

my father-in-law did his whole lineage back very far -back to the Moors in Italy!

I don't know what he used to track though , and he is dead now. he was disappointed because he wanted to be 100% Italian - [Wink]

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< LisaK >>>>>,

It is interesting to research isn't it!!!

We've been surprised by some of the findings, but it may help identify some more of our family heritage.

TrekC' has some interesting info' in his too, some info' from family lineage both what his heritage shows and doesn't was an interesting surprise too.

Thanks for the comments!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement