LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Gabapentin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gabapentin?
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one else tried this???

It has a list of bad side effects 10 miles long?

Should i stop googling my prescriptions???

MADDOG [Eek!]

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to take tons of it .. now one pill makes me swell up.

You do what you have to do.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Don't plan to drive or operate any equipment, even a lawn mower or weed wacker.

Seriously, control no motor until you know how this works for your body.

Even the tiniest dose at night did not allow me to use my legs for the whole next day. I was the limp jello and very dizzy & nauseated It also made me very sad to have that reaction.

It's very ototoxic so you might want to keep that in mind. Ears will be much more likely to be damaged with less noise.

You ask: "Should i stop googling my prescriptions???"

You may be half-joking but this is such a serious topic.

Question to you - to anyone - to everyone: why would you / we ever want to not research what you are going to put your bodies through?

Google is just the tool, it's the research that, while may be daunting, can prevent trouble for you.

Please, never stop researching - never stop looking to the authors and real experts who go beyond the basic pharmaceutical chatter or even medical centers' basic information pages. That's just a start and often misses so much.

When we are seeking benefit, we need to know all we can prior to taking any risk.

We cannot trust the doctors who write the prescriptions to know all this. and we certainly cannot trust the pharmaceutical data for some of the damage that ensues comes long after they do their limited testing.
-

[ 06-14-2019, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Keep in mind that tinnitus is not just a "side-effect" but a real sign of real damage. And that first sign of tinnitus can range from being irritating to debilitating.

Anything that damages the inner / middle ear / vestibular system can affect every other function of our daily lives. Our vestibular system is vital to:

balance in all ways but including walking, talking, reading, vision, thinking, operating tools (especially machines) . . . and is linked to our gut so strongly that nausea is another signal that the vestibular system is off kilter or damaged.

Sometimes, with tinnitus, it may settle down but the damage can show later with hearing loss - or even hyperacucis (severe sensitivity) or a mix of both with various environments.

Damage to the ears can destroy lives.

https://www.ata.org/sites/default/files/Summer-2018-62.pdf

Tinnitis Triggered by OTOTOXIC DRUGS: Strategies to Protect Your Hearing Health

by Neil Bauman, PhD

3-page pdf - Summer 2018

Excerpt:

. . . Top 20 Drugs Linked to Triggering Tinnitus . . . .

. . . Gabapentin (Neurontin®) . . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://hearinglosshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tinnitusdruglist2013.pdf

Prescription Medications, Over-the-Counter Drugs, Herbs & Chemicals Associated with Tinnitus

2013 Edition - 30 pages - Compiled by Neil G. Bauman, Ph.D.

Still, his 3rd edition of Ototoxic Drugs is best to have for a fuller set. So much just cannot be found via the web. Book:

http://hearinglosshelp.com/shop/ototoxic-drugs-exposed/

Ototoxic Drugs Exposed (3rd edition)

The Shocking Truth About Prescription Drugs, Medications, Chemicals and Herbals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears

By Neil Bauman, Ph.D.

. . . detailed listings of the ear-damaging side effects of 877 drugs, 35 herbals and 148 chemicals (798 pages).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Maddog,

Wow, I just read your other current thread about recent spine stuff and am so sorry to hear.

As you need some kind of good pain relief now, if you conclude that a drug that is ototoxic is your only choice, it may be - maybe - that some kinds of LIVER Support might help prevent some degree of vestibular / ear damage.

There is no guarantee yet if you feel / think that there is little choice and the less than ideal Rx might be short term -- be sure to have excellent liver & kidney support on deck BEFORE starting the ototoxic Rx.

As for the van used by those who can't do public transit anymore, I confirm now awful those buses can be. Those used in my city also have no shock absorbing it seems and the way they are set up on the frame is a vestibular nightmare.

Worse for delicate patrons than the spin cycle on a bad washing machine. I can't ride them at all anymore. No one understands why. I think many others suffer, too, with the bad ride but don't say anything.

I hope you can fond some safe alternative for pain after the initial calming down all the reasons for it from this "event" or moment in time.

When pain is that severe, sometimes, a short stint of Rx with liver protection might be the best for your very self.

I know that health care does not care the kinds of hands on, body work or acupuncture / CBD (?) or even THC ? . . .

Good luck with your decisions around all this and I do wish you some relief.
-

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gang
Thanks for the feed back!

I only take it at night,it Zonks me out, so no pain while asleep .

I wont take it during the day,I could not drive any were if I did.

MADDOG

Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the supposed "lowest dose" - 100mg, and it was way to much for me. My MIL was on like 600mg! and she said she had no funny feelings. everyone is different.

I found a sort of smart-ish dr and he told me the compounding pharmacy can make the *actual* lowest dose- 25mg! I found that I can now take it, but over a short period it gave me psychotic behavior!

so I only take as needed on days of great pain .. ( I have TN)
the fortunate thing about being highly sensative is that such a small dose works right away on me.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did read online from medical journals that some people have experienced sudden death while on it. so I would be very careful. it was mostly women post menopausal

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement