LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise-What you CAN do today. March 15

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise-What you CAN do today. March 15
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy St. Patrick's Day! (for those of you who are Irish or wish to be) [Smile]

Welcome to this week's rendition of the Exercise Thread. Here is the spot to talk about your movements for the week and give encouragement.

Are you walking, sewing, going to the gym, cleaning etc. etc? Everything counts!

And hopefully exercise will reduce any stress about the covid19 virus!

Have a great week! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a load of laundry this morning.

I went to the nearby grocery to grab my prescription and ended up doing some grocery shopping. Produce aisle was decimated and not many canned goods.

The public library in the adjoining town has not closed, yet, so I dashed there this afternoon to get a few books. Very crowded and I understand it will probably shut down by midweek.

AK--wish I could use a kindle but reading on those sets off my myoclonic seizures.

I went to Kohl's which is also our return center for Amazon. I had bought a posture corrector, but it didn't seem to help, so back it goes.

When I got home, the toddlers next door were making snow angels in my yard and licking the snow off the front bushes. So funny! So much energy!

Hope to get to Kroger tomorrow to use my good coupons and am hoping the gluten free area and organic meat is not picked over.

Off to read a bit now that I have books!

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, hiker. They have different screens for the Kindles now. Have you seen the white screen? There may be some adjustment settings that would work for you.

I washed my coat that I wore when I went out yesterday. I needed to wash it again anyway because it got that horrid Gain laundry detergent on it at my brother's house.

Then I went to buy some pansies!!! I also stopped in two stores to see if I could buy some toilet paper for my quarantined neighbor. She may have COVID from her travels and her hubby didn't stock up. On top of that she has diarrhea with it.

I bought her a small pot of tulips...and one for me. Purple. I bought the lavender and bright yellow pansies for me.

Hoping I can plant them later today or even tomorrow. Maybe 1 pot this evening and then the rest tomorrow if I survive.

Glad you got some books! How much snow on the ground?

It's cool here .. mid 40's. I am fine with that.

The trees are blooming, so I guess I won't be able to open windows much longer. I may open them now since it's not windy or heavy pollen out there yet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its sunny and nice out today.

Took a nap this afternoon.

My brother & his family are coming to visit this evening. So I guess the exercise is gabbing again! lol Maybe playing Apples to Apples.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been eating like a pig! Went to Hardee's this morning and picked up a sausage and egg biscuit for me and Mom. Then for exercise today I spent about a couple of hours cleaning our front porch. Chairs were a bit moldy so they were the hardest to tackle and everything else was covered with pollen.

After finishing the porch me and Mom went to our favorite local indoor flea market for a couple of hours. Scored with 2 hanging baskets and a large bouquet of faux flowers for one of the pots she bought last year that has paint peeling on the inside.

Now just vegging and gabbing on the phone and talking about stocking up on groceries. So I'll be doing that tomorrow.

Hiker thanks for getting us started this week! I need to go to the grocery store! I really didn't see the need but now I kinda regret not stocking up on meats and frozen veggies. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Now if I can just get my Mom to stay home.....

TuTu I hope your neighbor is going to be OK. My brother and his wife are both sick but I think with just the regular flu. My brother called and said something about them coming over but I told him, 'not if you're sick'! Their son wants to show us a used car that he bought but that can definitely wait!

Manna I haven't played Apples to Apples for a least a few years. Either my nephew has it or my brother. I love board games, cards, etc. Always a fun way to spend an evening.

Everyone take care!

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

I did my shoulder exercises and the balance exercises that don’t bother my knee.

I went to Kroger early to use my coupons that will soon expire and the place was a madhouse. No chicken left and no eggs and I wasn’t there to stock up because of the coronavirus.

I did go to my local coffee café one more time before they close. You can still get carry out but I like to sit in there and read. It’s never crowded and there’s a huge distance between tables so I feel safe from the virus.

I worked a little bit on my Bible study. The church where the study is normally held has closed because of the virus. So, we will be holding it in the leader’s home. She’s very insistent that we continue this study but she has leukemia. However people are very good about not coming to the study if they have any illness. Closer quarters, though.

Dealt with Frontier (internet). I dropped their service in December and they can’t seem to get me the money they owe me.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to the gym and walked 3 laps to warm up then jumped on the elliptical for 20 minutes and from there rowed for 10 minutes. Cooled down walking 3 laps then was disappointed because the sauna, steam room and pool was closed which was probably for the best. I don't expect they'll stay open much longer.

Afterwards me and Mom went to the commissary to buy groceries and it was a madhouse! There was hardly any fresh meat left and many other things were out. It took us almost an hour to just check out! Then we went to the Asian market and a health food store. So we are ready to batten down the hatches!

Hiker I see you're running into similar problems that we have down here. I think me and Mom are gonna hang around our house a bit more now that we've done all our grocery shopping.

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

I've decided to skip the gym for awhile. I still woke up early and just puttered around the house this morning. Potted two pineapple sage plants in some hanging baskets in the hopes they'll attract hummingbirds when they bloom. They're supposed to have red blooms.

Other than that I've been a total slug today. Just eating some fruit and fasting a wee bit.

Have an allergist appointment tomorrow about an hour away so Mom and I are heading out. She says she'll wear a mask in the doc's office. We're both fine but just taking precautions.

Anyways.....back to the slug life....

[sleepy]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually got some sewing done this afternoon! Have the sleeves in the bodice. Ready to sew the side seams.

Also washed a load of jackets.

And gabbed on the phone with a friend.

The sun was out for a little while this afternoon. Clouded up again now at 5:00.

Planning to spend the evening sewing.....

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiker .. Our church is holding the council meeting this Thursday (blame my husband) and we will have church this Sunday. So there go my chances of staying safe.

I would venture to guess that very few will show up. I probably won't go myself. At least it will make me FEEL safer.

I planted my pansies today. I also have a coreopsis. That is such a cool word. lol ... So I have two pots of flowers on the balcony and one on our front porch.

Our front door now has a new storm door. I love it. It has etched glass. I got a discount so decided to get the pretty one! It has a pull-down screen too. Great for spring if the pollen isn't too bad.

My neighbor went out for food today and brought me a few more items.

One neighbor already lost her job (laid off) at a motel and another neighbor is a concierge at a major hotel here. I hope he can keep his job!!

AK .. I'm glad you are skipping the gym for now. Stay safe at that appointment!!!!

Manna .. I'm wishing now that I had kept my sewing machine two years ago. I gave it up since we have limited room here. I decided that if I ever wanted to sew again, I could find a cheap sewing machine somewhere.

Hang in there, everyone!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

I went to one chiropractor and stocked up on supplements.

Need to get my magnesium tomorrow from a different place.

Went to balance therapy at the clinic. So far, they are staying open.

Decided I would take a short nap and then go cut my clematis back. Ended up napping almost 2 hours and now have zero motivation.

Manna--Sewing sounds like a "safe" activity these days.

Tutu--Hope you enjoy the storm door this spring.

--------------------
Hiker53

hiker53
Member # 6046

I did my shoulder exercises and then my balance exercises. I had backed off on the balance exercises and walking so knee felt a bit better today. Still want doctor to assess it tomorrow.

One quick errand to finish getting supplements so I have plenty if need to stay put.

I filled out the US census form online. Very short.

I disinfected all the light switches in the house and my TV remote control. I do my phone several times a day. Also did a little cleaning in the kitchen.

Walked down to the mailbox and found a $5 bill in my landscaping. Probably mine to begin with but it put a smile on my face. It is not in front of the heat vent drying out as it is a rainy day today.

I think I will probably skip church tonight. I doubt many people would be there so I could social distance easily, but I have Bible study tomorrow and a MD appointment and want to limit exposure.

Praying we all stay healthy and also get some joy in our daily activities however mundane they may be.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

I've been a slug lately and like you Hiker, my motivation is missing! No gym and me and Mom just sit around and watch TV. I've been fasting off and on and have my yearly CBC tomorrow at my GP's office. So I haven't done to much outside yet but that'll change tomorrow after my bloodwork.

Envy the sewing Manna and I have no excuse not to be working on my dresses. Just feel blah lately.

Poor Josh is going stir crazy because he's been sick for about 2 weeks with a cold or something. He still has a sore throat but is feeling better.

Hang in there everyone and see you all tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Hubby has decided to have a Nutribullet shake at least once a day. Tried it for lunch today. We added a whole bunch of stuff.

Carrot, apple, cucumber, romaine lettuce, orange, celery, cranberries, blueberries, yellow pepper and water. He said it was good! I could taste too much pepper for me.

I want to cut up all the ingredients and fill sandwich bags with a single serving of his shakes so I can easily grab and blend them. If I freeze them, they won't spoil.

Got some sewing done yesterday, but most of it was fleece blankets instead of my dresses. Want to go work at them this afternoon. I'm ready to sew the pocket in the side seam of the skirt.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Manna .. I'm glad you are not going heavily on the oxalates. Drinking green shakes everyday for a year completely ruined my life.

I also ate foods very high in oxalates, like spinach and almonds.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Ak--Hard to get motivated when all you hear in the news is depressing. Bet some exercise or yard work or sewing will perk you up.

Manna--those shakes sound good. Sadly, I would prefer chocolate shakes, but your shakes would be healthier!

I did my shoulder exercises this morning.

I went to orthopedic MD this afternoon. As I suspected he is sending me for PT on my knee after I finish PT on my shoulder at the end of next week. Never ending, but maybe I will end up with a body that is a lot stronger and more mobile.

Church was cancelled last night and for at least 2 weeks. Bible study is now cancelled although we might try to get together online via Zoom assuming we oldies can all figure it out.

Time to go read.

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:

Church was cancelled last night and for at least 2 weeks. Bible study is now cancelled although we might try to get together online via Zoom assuming we oldies can all figure it out.

Time to go read.

-
Same here on both issues!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Lymetoo, how did the oxalates ruin your life?

Hiker, I too would much rather have milk shakes - chocolate or orange cream or fruit of some kind. I'm letting hubby drink his 'bullets'.

Church is cancelled this week for us too.

Well, back to my sewing!

hiker53
Member # 6046

Illinois just ordered a “stay at home rule” starting tomorrow evening until April 8.

Today I went grocery shopping. Meat counter was closed. Very little good fresh produce.

I went to pt for my shoulder. Doubt I will be able to go back during “stay at home” rule. My therapy feels essential to me but medically is not. Pt told me this was coming so she prepared me what to do until I can go back. Even she did not know she if the clinic would stay open or if she would be moved to work at hospital.

Friend coming later to help me change shower curtain liner. I am too short to do it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Did 3 1/2 hours of raking and bagging and was totally wiped out! I'm super sore today from overdoing it yet again.

My plan today is to cut out one dress pattern and start some sewing while I'm recovering. I've got a lot more yard work to do but can't work everyday like I used to.

Hiker you were right about being more active beating the blahs. Hope you don't go stir crazy!

Manna thanks for posting about your sewing because it's putting a bee in my bonnet!

TuTu has your church closed too?

Well, off to read my pattern instructions again!

See you all later!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Didn't get anything sewed at my dresses yesterday, but I did mend two pairs of jeans and a dress. Also finished sewing another fleece blanket.

Told my daughter if we get our work done this morning, I'll help her cut out some dresses & teach her to sew them. My second daughter has taken to sewing all on her own. She needed very little instruction.

So far today, I hung out the laundry to dry - 1 more load to go. Helped sonny give 2 bales of hay to the heifers. Got hubby's veggie shake ready for breakfast.

Planning to put bread in the bread machine & bake an angel food cake - we have lots of eggs right now. Need to come up with a good meal for Sunday dinner.

Ak, its so much fun seeing the things we're sewing take shape before our eyes. Let us know how your dress is coming along! And then the joy of wearing a new dress!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Manna .. I'm not sure exactly how the oxalates ruined me, but we have many people on the Trying Low Oxalates with the same story. I would suspect that several things lined up to make a big mess out of my body.

Oxalates are much more damaging to our bodies than most medical personnel know or are willing to admit. They deal with drugs, not nutrition.

They don't just cause kidney stones, they crystalize in our tissues. There is an interconnection with histamine also.

I finally began reducing my oxalate intake about 3 years ago. It helped me be able to handle more histamine. My body already produces too much histamine and some of us produce oxalates.

So .. be cautious. It can take years of reducing them to manageable levels because it's dangerous to reduce them all at once.

Google Susan Owen (s)? for more information on oxalates. She first did all of her research in order to help children with autism.

Yesterday was spent cooking and making things like Rice Krispie treats. I may make some GF muffins today. My hand and arm took a beating making those treats! Ouch!

We had a light freeze last night, so I brought my tulip in. It's just now getting buds. My pansies looked a little unhappy, but they should be fine.

Also washed some clothes and went down the hill for mail. Our creek was finally calming down. It's been wild with all the rain we've had.

I need to do my Bible study today and start on taxes.

Have a good day, everyone!

PS .. yes, AK on the church. We will close until Palm Sunday. That is two Sundays away. I fear we will end up missing Easter. I would really hate that! But I think when we DO come back, we will celebrate anyway!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

PS.. to Manna .. When I "crashed" is when my MCAS came out of hiding. It became full-blown and has not let up.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK-glad you could get out in the yard. It is hard not to overdo once you get started. Hope you recover quickly.

Manna—I need to come get sewing lessons. How much do you charge to teach a gal who had her friend sew most of her apron in home ec class in junior high? 🤣

Today I probably did too much. I did my shoulder exercises and then all of my balance exercises.

Since it was sunny out I also went for a walk. Haven’t done that in a while. Still chilly and snow/rain mix coming tomorrow. But my daffodils have buds so warmer weather is ahead.

My once a month house cleaner came today. I really need to buy a lightweight vacuum but will have to wait on that. Shelter in place begins this evening.

I am off to start on dinner. Baking orange roughy with sweet potato and asparagus.

Then relaxing this evening with a good book. I think I will be reading more than usual the next few weeks. Although I should be organizing drawers and closets.

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hiker .. good job on the exercising .. Hope it will be OK for you!!

I still need to go get the mail. I made a cherry cream cheese pie. There won't be many luxuries later on, I KNOW!!

I had to fix the pie or throw out the cream cheese that expired 3 days ago.

We are not stir crazy yet, but I'm sure we will be soon. I hope hubby can get one more ride in before they shut us down.

Take care, everyone!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement