LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise-what you Can do today-February 14

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise-what you Can do today-February 14
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 6 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Valentine's Day!

What kind of exercise are you getting during this cold winter month? Are you shoveling snow, chipping ice, vacuuming, sewing, baking etc.?

Anything counts as we encourage each other on this friendly thread.

Have a great week (and stay warm)! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8877 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not want to get out of my warm bed this morning. Wind chills were 25 below zero.

Does shivering count as exercise?

I went to church via zoom.

I did 2 loads of laundry.

Called mom.

Spent a lot of time watching my bird feeders. Lots of visits due to the cold and I am sure they are aware of the upcoming snow. My favorite today was the red bellied woodpecker. Not sure why they call it that because I never see a red belly although it does have a red head.

I need to fill the safflower feeder, but didn't feel like trekking through the snow and up the slick deck stairs. Usually I just walk onto the deck from the dining room, but the door is frozen shut.

Off to call a friend and then read.

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8877 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WELL, we are up to 5 degrees now. Going back down soon. Not sure how much snow we have. I think about 4-5. Hard to tell. It's supposed to snow until about 8 pm.

Tomorrow the sun may come out, then the snow will start again about 6pm. We may get more snow Wednesday than we have now.

I just pray the power stays on!!! We are trying hard to conserve. I have only had my TV on about an hour today. I'll turn it on soon.

LOTS of friends and family in Houston are without power and it's been in the single digits there also WITH SNOW.

Many in TX have more snow than we do in MO!!

We are warm and toasty even though we have lowered our thermostat by another 2 degrees.

I made an apple pie last night, so we have that. I was going to make snow cream but I had swept the balcony before thinking of it.

In doing so, I dirtied it all up!! Oh well. Maybe on Wednesday.

Hope everyone is OK. AK sure is quiet these days!!

Manna .. how ya doing??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tutu--We have about 6 inches of snow already and it will fall into the wee hours of the morning. Lots of wind, so I am not going anywhere.

I am cleaning off the front porch every few hours, so the snow doesn't freeze the storms doors shut. Luke will shovel tomorrow morning.

I also ventured out to fill the bird feeder on the deck. The snow was over my boots as it has built up over several weeks.

I did my knee exercises.

Worked on Bible study.

Spent a pleasant few hours on the couch under a blanket reading.

I am not even going to take the garbage can to the curb tonight. I figure the snow plow will just knock it over at some point. Can is big enough that I can go several weeks without having to take it out and it is in the garage so no smell in the house.

I spent an hour just watching the birds today. I am so amazed that they seem unfazed by the weather.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry gang, I've been dragging butt since Josh's BDay. Our little party was awesome and Josh and I stayed up until almost 2:00 a.m. watching movies.

Yesterday I didn't do much and today it was rainy and now our temps are dropping to the high 20's tonight.

Hiker thanks for getting us going for the week. I had an uneventful Valentine's day but have been eating some German brandy-filled chocolates that we bought a couple weeks ago. Shivering does burn calories!

TuTu I feel like a slug! Think my histamine is up and keeping me up at nights. I take liquid Doxepin at night that used to help but not so much anymore. I sure hope and pray that you all don't lose power!

It's only 6:23 and Mom went to bed about 5:30! I'm just warming the couch and watching TV. I'm so bored which is making me snack too much. I shouldn't have bought that bag of Combos Saturday. It's almost empty! Sigh....

Later gang!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6136 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had ice this morning, so the children didn't go to work. It has rained now this evening. Supposed to snow tomorrow, maybe an inch or so.

I baked less bread today, not sure how many people will venture out if its snowy. Need to slice it and bag it up yet. Waiting for the last loaves to cool.

Got several loads of laundry done.

Hubby and the boys worked at figuring out the wiring in the attic. Changed a few wires so not so many things were on one breaker.

They would turn one breaker off and then see which lights turned off and which receptacles didn't work. They are writing it all down, so they know which breakers are for which things.

Also took some plywood pieces up to lay down for flooring in the attic. We want to put more plywood up for storage area.

Hoping to get some sewing done tomorrow.

Daughter made lasagna for supper tonight. It was delicious!

Posts: 2247 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Manna--Sound like your husband and sons have many talents if they can do electrical as well as remodel the bathroom etc. How wonderful!

Luke showed up at 6:30 A.M. to shovel the drive. We had about 7 inches of snow but with the wind I had 3 foot drifts on the walk and drive.

After he left the snow plow came down the street and again parked a load of snow in front of my driveway. My neighbor, Howard, came over and shoveled for me while I shoveled my wood deck (second story and I don't want the heavy melting snow on it).

I did my balance exercises.

Mom called very anxious about the weather tomorrow so I changed our appointment at the bank and will drive over next week. Tomorrow will probably be fine but no need to make her worry.

Cooked a chicken breast and some sugar snap peas.

Worked on Bible study.

Am watching Illini basketball tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are very blessed to have a husband and father who can do almost anything in that line and can teach the boys also.

We had flurries all day, with snow starting to lay a little more late afternoon. Looks like about 3/4 of an inch and still coming down. Tomorrow afternoon we are supposed to get some sunshine and then the next winter storm warning starts Wednesday night till Fri morning.

They'll need to stop at Walmart on the way home from work tomorrow to pick up groceries. Need to get our store list together tonight.

Did some sewing today. I saw a pattern for an "Ugly Quilt" using up 14 inch squares of fabric. Use pieces that you don't really like or don't know what to use them for.

Stack 12 pieces on top of each other, cut diagonal in the one side and the put the one top piece on the bottom and sew the two stacks together. Then cut diagonal on the other side and do the same thing.

Then turn the stack one quarter turn and do the two diagonal cuts again. Till you're done each original square piece is now a patch with 9 pieces in it. Each a different piece of fabric.

I like things balanced and symmetrical and color co ordinated, so it was hard for me to pick out the pieces. My daughter helped me!

I have the second diagonal cut made and am ready to sew those together.

Gabbed with a friend awhile this morning and my SIL this afternoon.

Posts: 2247 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't do much today. I did make dinner which consisted of cucumber with Ponzu sauce, sauteed eggplant with miso and jazzed up leftover pork with ginger, garlic, onions, sesame oil and a touch of soy sauce. Everything was good.

It was sunny today but cold so Mom and I worked on a puzzle together.

We're planning on going out tomorrow and I'm so ready for a diversion.

See you all tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6136 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ak .. good to see you back! I agree that your histamine must be up. I can't eat any of what you eat. I'm not sure if I'm jealous or just worried about you!! Go easy!

Hiker... glad you were able to postpone the appointment. I wish that snowplow would give you a break once in awhile!!

Manna .. Twice today I have been reminded of some traits that my father had. He could do anything too. We never had a repairman in our home when I was growing up.

He and a friend even built an addition to our home in the 60's that is still viable today. My brother and my nephew are both very good carpenters and it's all self-taught.

(Well, except for my brother learning from his dad and passing it along.)

My brother is not a carpenter by trade, but his son works for a company that teaches carpentry, etc.

My heart is broken over all the disaster going on in Texas. So many without power and so many now have broken water pipes and water damage everywhere. It's a big mess.

My brother is one of those who has been without power, but I think they will be OK. I sure hope so. I couldn't get hold of him today. Finally talked to him late last night.

Still have not heard from my cousin. She lives alone and is disabled. (also had Lyme disease and used to be here on LN)

I worked on my Bible study tonight and we will have it tomorrow at 1pm.

It is snowing here now. We are supposed to get another 3 inches. So far, we have not lost power, praise the Lord.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Tutu--Texas is in a horrible state. I emailed a friend there today who is a professor at UT and he said it was a mess. Because they rely on their own state grid they can't tap into the national power grid.

I went to the grocery store this morning. Parking lot was slick but I made it in and out okay. Forgot my ground turkey, though, and am not going back to buy it until next week. Did pick up some fixings to make a pot of chili.

Did my knee exercises.

Mom called me three times about dinner reservations. Every time I told her I have made her dinner reservations in the dining hall through March 2. She doesn't seem to get it. Sigh. [confused]

I spent the rest of the day "in church." First I listened to the National Cathedral morning prayer as I do daily. Then I watched their Ash Wednesday Service. Finally I zoomed with one of their priests for the Ash Wednesday reconciliation. Private conversation with the female pastor and prayer/confession

Then I worked on my Bible study.

Having chicken salad with dinner--spinach, lettuce topped with carrots, broccoli and chicken.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Me and Mom have been busy! We ran to Ft. Benning to make a payment at the PX and shopped around. We also ate lunch there in the small mall.

Came home and had a Zoom meeting with her GP. She needs refills and has to go in tomorrow for labs and a drug screening. Sheesh...she's almost 90! She takes pain and sleeping meds periodically so I guess they're checking to make sure she's not an addict. [Roll Eyes]

After that we went back out to Sam's warehouse for vitamins and I had a gigantic slice of pizza while Mom chose frozen yoghurt. We ate in the parking lot...sigh...

Hiker your dinner sounds so good! I love salads but my Mom is not a fan. She said too much chewing. I want to come to your house for chili! Love it!

TuTu hope your family in Texas are going to be OK. What horrible weather for them! We aren't equipped for snow here either. I remember one year it snowed and we had a tornado! Had to stay in a motel because the power was out for a few days. My diet is awful and I need to get back on track. Have 2 appointments next month, one with my allergist and the other with my GP. She'll get onto me for weight gain so it's back to fasting for me. The upside to fasting is I feel so good when I don't eat...

Well...off to bed! See you all tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yes, hiker. Nearly half of my FB friends have been without power and/or water. The blame game has begun.

I really missed not having Ash Wednesday services. I think we should do the ashes this Sunday. Hey, why not?

We got about 4 inches of snow last night. We should be OK by Saturday. I don't have any place to go anyway.

We are so thankful we are still warm and have the food we need, etc. I've tried really hard to conserve energy all week. Today I let up a bit on that and I baked some GF cupcakes.

My cousin in Houston has been without power all week. I finally heard from her today. I just pray she doesn't end up with busted water pipes.

My brother and wife seem to be fine after about 18 hours with no power. Some friends have been without power for 40 plus hours now and they are freezing.

So .. I am grateful to be where we are.

Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Sorry to hear of all the damaged caused by the snow storm and freezing cold weather. It was down in the teens this morning, but nothing froze except the water in the animals buckets. They just had to break the ice and get fresh water.

Got my Ugly Quilt top sewed together. Now need to find something for the back.

Got a letter put out in the mailbox this morning.

Washed a load of towels and another of table cloths.

The children stopped for groceries and water on the way home from work this evening. Now it can snow tomorrow. We have what we need and they have the day off. So nobody has to get up early.

They got the things they need to work at the attic some more. Snowy days are good ones to work inside.

hiker53
Member # 6046

More snow last night, sent courtesy of Tutu, I am sure. [Big Grin]

I cleared the drive this morning. My neighbor saw me out and came over and helped. God bless him!

I did my balance exercises.

Attended Bible study via Zoom.

Short call to mom.

Took a nap.

Worked some more on my taxes. Am about ready to file but want to wait a little while in case a form comes that I forgot about.

Have a great evening!

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Whew I'm wiped out! Not a whole lot of sleep but up by 9:00 and it was go, go, go all day until about 5:30.

Made a call first thing to get an email sent to me for my Mom's Zoom appointment at 1:00.

Woke up Mom and made breakfast then off to her 11:15 appointment for labs and a urine test. She wasn't able to go pee so we ended up going back around 4:00.

At her 1:00 Zoom appointment we received the fantastic news that she's cancer free still! Thank you God! Every 3 months they monitor her liver for cancerous lesions.

After lunch took Mom to get her second Pfizer Covid vaccine. She's doing A OK so far.

Also had to stop and make a payment for her.

Then home to do 2 loads of laundry.

So now I'm in my soft, fluffy jammies and am ready to read a bit.

TuTu glad you heard from your cousin and that she's OK and your brother and his wife too. My Mom and I were talking this morning about being grateful too for a roof over our heads, heat and plenty of food.

Manna good to hear that you all are putting the time indoors to good use. Me and my Mom will probably work on a puzzle tomorrow and just rest up.

Hiker you have such wonderful neighbors! I had one neighbor come over last summer to see if I needed help dragging a huge limb to the curb. It was so kind but I was about done. It was really good to know that they keep an eye out for us too.

Think it's time for a cup of peppermint tea and a good book!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK--You sound like a busy beaver.

I did my knee exercises.

Then went to the chiropractor for a much needed manipulation.

Filled several bird feeders but neglected the suet feeder because the snow drifts were up to my knees. Too lazy to change my socks and jeans, I suppose.

I made a huge pot of chili and froze most of it. I do love the smell of simmering chili.

Paid some bills and decided to finish the taxes and e-file them.

Called mom.

Waiting for BFF to come over. I bought baby carrots at the store this week and it was buy one bag and get another free, so she is going to pick up one bag. We will talk outside briefly with our masks on.

Relaxing tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Laundry day. Have 1 more load to do yet.

My geraniums have sprouted and poked there heads up out of the ground!

Sewed the back together for my quilt today.

Decided to bake some bread specially for us today. Have 2 loaves and 1 pan of dinner rolls rising. The boys keep saying, "all this bread and none for us!"

Cut up 2 butternut squashes to make soup for supper. Should cut up another one to make pumpkin cheesecake or something like that.

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Cleaned just my dresser today. So much junk on there! Was a fasting day for me so just liquids. Outside of that just chilling right now with a cup of peppermint tea. I put to much stevia in it and had to add almond milk but it's still too sweet.

Hiker sounds like you got a lot done today! I love chili but my Mom is not a fan so I don't usually make any. TuTu had recommended Wolf's brand chili so that's what I usually buy when I need a chili fix. Wendy's chili isn't too bad so I get that sometimes.

Manna I'm so glad that you made bread and rolls for your family. I'd be like your boys and would want some too. The soup and cheesecake sound heavenly!

Off to veg!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Gotta shut down for the evening. The contractors are remodeling the condo next to us and they arrive early. They made me tired all day.

So .. I need to get to bed way before 1 am. ..lol

We are fine. Some members of our family are not OK in the Houston area and I feel so badly for them.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

I did 3 loads of laundry, including the flannel sheets. There is just something I like about crawling into a bed of clean sheets.

Did my balance exercises.

Went to the recycling bins in the grocery store parking lot.

Made my usual Saturday lunch with baked fish, asparagus, and potato.

Am watching some Illini basketball now.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Me and Mom went out today for a bit of shopping. We went to Marshall's and TJMaxx. I bought some collagen powder hoping it'll help me with my joints, skin, hair and nails. Fasting is taking a toll! Also bought some brown sugar bourbon flavored coffee, roasted edamame with wasabi and some CBD oil.

Later we went to pick up some soul food dinners for Mom and her bestie. They had pig's feet, cabbage, black-eyed peas and corn muffins. I wanted a BBQ chip sandwich but they were out so got a chili dog instead. It was good and I'm glad I had my chili fix.

TuTu I sure hope your family down in Texas are going to be OK.

Hiker your lunch sounds delicious! I was going to fast today until Mom told me she wanted to go out for the afternoon. So had to fuel up with a brunch of bacon, scrambled cheese eggs and toast. I really didn't need the chili dog!

I wanted to go to the grocery store but it's getting close to 7:00 p.m. and we're supposed to have some gang shootings tonight until midnight. I don't know what's going on with all the gang activity lately!

Well I guess I'll surf the net for Asian inspired landscape ideas and how to paint a chain link fence. Just a couple of things on my honey do list this year....sigh.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement