LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Paratransit rider interviews outdoors in the heat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paratransit rider interviews outdoors in the heat?
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was todl to expect my interview to possibly use paratransit would be an hour and a half aprox.

Yesterday i got a letter telling me it was to be out of doors ,it will be over 100 degrees most of the week,is this even legal?

I couldn't find the answer under ADA compliance etc. Anyone know about this type situation? I have incontinence issues as well, and am allergic to a lot of things such as adult incontinence wear.

Thanks for any help jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That certainly makes no sense.

Can't imagine the interviewer would want to be outside in that kind of heat, either.

Bet that changes and you will be inside. Definitely give them a call.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8888 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be tomorrow for certain, and I don't normally mention incontinence issues,but I am beyond frustrated.

I know LD hits our weak areas, and I'm not the only one with this problem.I've had issues since I was a child. Also found out my lack of coordination was called Ataxia, had that problem since I was an infant. I'll be back later.

Thanks for the response!

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an avid rider and have never heard of this.

Is it possible something is going on inside their building’s facilities, such as water leak, painting, cooling system down?

Agree with hiker, call in the morning and maybe reschedule until they can accommodate your needs. Or ask if a phone interview or home interview is possible?

Its ALWAYS something, grrrr.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Thanks BartenderBonnie,

I have even wondered if they are trying to 'thin the herd' by using this type of letter. But we are not animals. And I am not happy about this.

The letter also states that we have to call a specific number to get a ride out to the 'training center, and then make a call to come home. I do not have a way to call right now.

My ride was already reserved,so I will definetely be calling tomorrow, to see what is up. I have a cell,but will not be able to call on it before Friday, I am getting tutored as it were for this Friday. The interview is before that.

I have cognitive issues, that sometimes makes me feel dumber than a box of rocks, altho' I know I am not dumb. This has worsened since my Heart surgery a few years ago. It may be a Post- operative issue,cannot recall the name. AArrghh. Will check back later, again!

This issue has worsened too, can't find the right words, BBL

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Dur,.....Post-Operative Cognitive Dysfunction. I have been praying for help because it is beyond just annoying.

I was to see my Neuro'Doc early Feb, but have gone nowhere to speak of since Trek has been gone in January. He is at least out of hospital since end of April, but not strong enough to come home yet.

We are both anticipating that day! better go for the mo' Silverwolfi here be back later, and I am thinking of waiting and re-doing the appt. for later.

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending you a big old hug wolfie!!!

[group hug]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silverwolf, did you get the problem/meeting solved?

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8888 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi all,

Hugs right back to you Aklnwlf, I needed that!

Hiker, for now it is cancelled, I have 60 days,and will find an assistant hopefully to help.

The folk setting up interviews couldn't figure out why I had been sent that form, about interviewing out doors. It's just weird

Meanwhile, they are sending a form for Trek for interview if he gets out in a couple,three weeks. If he is out in time maybe we'd go together?

Since he left for hospital in Jan. , both his Drivers license and his C-pap machine went missing. So getting re-licensed maybe interesting. Hopefully VA will get him a new C-pap, his was on the faulty list as it was.

Will check back in later...Jus' Silverwolfi here.

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver ... work hard to get his CPAP soon!! He really really needs it! I know, because I have one. Without it I am mush!!

Praying for you two!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

The VA is supposed to be sending him one.Hes been on the list since before his disappeared at the hospital. They are dragging their feet on everything,and refusing to pay most of the bills so far.

They messed up my Champ VA for quite awhile, and yesterday the pharmacists people got snarky w/ me. I am still shocked. I pay my part of every bill, every time. They can just ask Medicare and Champ VA when they'll pay.... AArrgh!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Well, I went thru the interview,and half of it is in fact outside in the heat. They have you walk on and off of curbs,over uneven ground and so on.

I was tired from it all, and had some stomach upset with the heat... so they have 21 days to respond... who knows???? I dont know if I did well enough or too well to get the help I need.

Guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Jus' Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

hiker53
Member # 6046

Pray you will get the help you need.

You would think all it would take would be a referral from a md.

Sheesh. Sorry you have to go through this and wait 21 more days.

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you survived the ordeal, Silver!

Praying you will be approved!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi all, AS to the 21 days they can take that long but may tell you sooner. If I get approved there is supposed to be a station to station direct access w/o all the extra stops.

In other words Ex. I need to go directly to the Neuro Doc from My door step, on a rough day say Ive been falling easily and have a IC/IBS day, If i had to get on and off regular Paratransit It wouldnt work well.

Right from my door to my Dod. then home again,is a lot less chances to have falling accidents,or restroom problems. So well see if I get approved,and if the number for that station to staion actually will do this? I hope so! And pray so! Jus Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Oh Trekwannabe/TXCoord.or however we've been calling my Hubby, HAs been setting up alone for up to an hour !!! He hasn't walked yet, but getting into his chair w/ a slide board is getting closer.

He wants to come home,very very much,and miss him a lot. he wasn't happy that I had to go outside. I wasn't either, they have an inside course with, various surfaces and so on. Much less hot,and humid ,indoors, and it can actually get very humid here sometimes. There are steps,sloped areas and so on. So I dont get it really.

I suppose they think well you have to get on and off the bus,or van etc, in heat, and weather,but at well over 100 degrees I think they are pushing it to much.

Jus' SIlverwolfi here!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Well I didn't get approved, hearing impairment, Ic/IBS quituple heart bypass,Diabetes, Plantars fascitiis ,Ataxia, CFIDS, FM, etc,and Myclonis jerking seizures arent enough.

I should be able to walk 3/4ths of a mile,to a bus stop,in extreme heat,or cold[winter time can go to low 20s]. And do just fine. I didn't have a restroom accident,so I must be just fine everyday of my life..... I am so absolutely fed up right now...AAAArrrrggghhh!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

hiker53
Member # 6046

So sorry, Silverwolf. That is ridiculous that you didn't get approved. [cussing]

I wonder who does get approved?

--------------------
Hiker53

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

I don't know, either,If Id had a serious problem,they'd have said I was too disabled.

The first time many years back that I tried to get Social security, I got rejected. After my heart surgery ,years later and in a different part of the USA I finally got some So.Sec.

On my 1st So.Sec. try a girl was very ill,and told she didn't meet So.Sec, requirements and she died during the process.

My friends neighbor got on the paratransit,but she is continually with a walker, I guess having to uss a cane isn't enough. I just dont know what to think anymore. So disappointed.

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Silver .. that is terrible. I would try calling your alderman or mayor .. somebody in charge.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver, very upsetting news, I’m so sorry.

In your denial letter, they should have stated their reasons for denial. Also, there should be information that should you disagree with their ruling, their appeal process and an appeal request form.

APPEAL. APPEAL. APPEAL

They made it difficult for me this year for my annual re-application. They stated that my application could only be signed by a certified disability social worker.

I called Paratransit and said I have 6 doctors involved in my care and you’re telling me that they are not qualified?

They said it can only be signed by the social worker.
This is a new procedure as I had never had to do this.

So I called my nearest hospital’s social worker and they said they couldn’t possibly sign because they don’t know my health concerns nor have they treated me.

I got my primary to sign and should be hearing from Paratransit shortly. I might be appealing myself.

Why is life so hard?

Appeal Process
https://www.nationalrtap.org/Toolkits/ADA-Toolkit/complementary-ada-paratransit-appeals-process-template

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

I don't know,why it has to be so hard either.

I just keep giving it all to God, and am trying to go on. I will likely appeal after talking it over w/ My TrekLove tomorrow .

I completed the walking course, their 'interview', supposedly w/in their time limits, and did not have a restroom accident, so they think I can walk 3/4ths of a mile,or more in high heat [110 and up]. they virtually ignored the other problems in the pages of my medical report. Due mostly to Covid,issues,2020 til now, I have one Nurse prac.,whom they say they talked to. I am super shocked. And actually quite angry.

Be back later, jus Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

I get to talk with my PCP [Nurse prac.] in a couple days ,aso we'll see what is going on.

There is also another person with my name and exact spelling in the area, but differing birthday I presume. So it has been quite interesting here of late.

Well I expect it'll all come out in the wash as the saying goes. Jus' Silverwolfi here!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement