LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise—what you Can do today. July 24

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise—what you Can do today. July 24
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 6 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the friendly exercise thread.

Here we encourage each other to get up and move daily. [woohoo]

Walking, swimming, shopping, yardwork, baking—-it all counts.
Or, just tell us about your day.

Have a super week! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the National Cathedral Church service.

Did a load of laundry.

Did my knee exercises, shoulder exercises and foot exercises.

Called mom and chatted.

We got much needed rain this morning, but it stopped this afternoon. Still humid out, though.

Went to Farm and Fleet to get bird seed and some fluorescent tubes for my basement. Would like to convert basement and garage to LED lighting but think I would have to redo some of the electrical stuff and brackets. That is on my wish list behind some painting and a new roof.

Am reading another good novel called "The Woman in the Library". Very suspenseful.

One more evening of the World Track and Field Championships to watch on TV.

Off to make a tossed salad to go with my homemade spaghetti sauce and rice pasta plus some zucchini.

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went and visited with my sister this morning.

She gave me a standing wooden jewelry cabinet with 8 drawers and built in mirror. It’s old and has a water stain on the top but I can fix that. I love it!

Made BLT’s for lunch.

Got home and it was raining so I sat on porch watching TikToc videos. It got so humid, I had to come inside and immediately take a shower.

No swimming today.
Such a pretty day after the clouds rolled by but just too humid for anything outside.

Watched a funny movie called “Rat Race” and was laughing out loud.

Oh, my sister has a watch that measures how many steps you take a day. She logged 17,000 steps one day. Then she said she gained weight? I said I swim almost everyday and I have gained weight too. Is anyone else gaining weight?

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BB—weight gain from exercise can be attributed to muscle gained during exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I have gained weight but it isn’t due to exercise. 🙁

--------------------
Hiker53

hiker53
Member # 6046

Did my balance exercises this morning.

Used the grass trimmer around the sidewalk where I have a lot of crabgrass. Told lawn guy not to mow this week as the good grass is pretty short.

Went to dump my recycling in the bins in the grocery store parking lot but they were repaving the lot, so had to go to a different recycling area. Will have to shop elsewhere this week.

Then went to the bank to the ATM and they were repaving that lot, so I had to go to a different branch. LOL

Stopped by the library.

Mom called and said her PT told her that her toe was infected. I made an appointment for her at urgent care and lined up transportation. Wish they had read mom's history as they wasted time/$$ taking an x-ray (she has a dislocated toe joint). No infection, though, so that is good. Poor mom struggles to put a Band-Aid on the toe and she is supposed to wear one daily as there is a bit of a wound.

Went to the podiatrist for a follow up on my plantar fasciitis. He suggested night splints or straussburg socks. The socks go up to your knees and havea strap from the toes that velcros to the knees to stretch out the ankle and foot tendons. Sounded less harsh than the night brace so I will buy a pair and try them. Think I will wait until I finish PT at the clinic so I know what is working and what isn't.

Stopped at the ARC on the way home (area recreation center) to check out what fitness equipment they have. Very busy. Rode an exercises bike for just a short bit.

Bit the bullet and bought a recumbent exercise bike from a nearby town. They will deliver it in a few weeks and carry it down to my basement and make sure it is assembled properly. It is my Christmas present to myself for the next 5 years. [Big Grin]

Did my feet exercises.

Hauled the garbage to the curb.

Hamburgers for dinner tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and Mom ran a couple errands and also got our 2nd Covid boosters.

Yesterday we went treasure hunting at our fav thrift mall. I found a t-shirt (too small 🙄) and a super cute but small solid wood corner bookcase. My books are all on the floor. I'm going to load that thing up! Also need to work on the bookcase I bought earlier. I took it apart and it needs alot of work but I'm up to the challenge.

Anyways I'm wiped out from watering the plants outside.

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thunderstorms early this morning gave way to 70 degree temperatures and high winds. No swimming in pool today. Although the water is @ 84* (perfect) I would freeze upon getting out.

Went to market for fresh produce.
Everything looked so good but I have to watch to not buy a lot as there’s only so much I can use.
There is one farm that uses bio solids so I avoid buying anything from them.

Stopped at Tractor Supple for animal supplies.

Walked dog twice today.

Changed sheets on the bed.
I ate a chocolate ice cream cone last night and it melted and I made a mess.

Read my library book for about 1 hour.
My brain fog goes up and down and today it was down because I couldn’t remember what I read yesterday and had to reread a few chapters.

Thanks hiker for about muscles causing weigh gain.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AK .. so great that you found a bookshelf and that you can fix it up. When I was about 8, my brother and I built a small bookcase.

I had it in my room forever and it went to college with me, then a few homes.

Bonnie.. 70's sounds awesome!

Hiker .. That's awesome that you bought a bike for the basement! Wish I had a basement! But I do love the socializing at cardiac rehab.

I've been missing in action because I've been busy going to shows. My friend from MS (here at condos) asked me to go to a Bee Gees show on Friday night.

I saw it last year and said sure. It was good. One of my friends is in the show. He is also in the show my husband was in full time a few years ago.

Then Saturday night we went to see the show my husband is subbing in. It was really really good. I've seen one of his Elvis shows before, but this one was even better. The star has 3 or 4 different Elvis shows. This one was all the music from Elvis' last show.

Then Sunday, we went to church all morning and then I had OCC from 1-3 pm.

Came home and took a nap. Then called my friend and said you wanna go to the big birthday party in town? We had talked about it over the weekend but had not decided about going since I would be so busy on Sunday.

So we went and it was a spiritual experience we will never forget!! It was a birthday party for a world-renowned classical pianist.

Well .. Jesus showed up. The presence of God was palpable. I can't even explain it but WOW! I had tears streaming down my face all night long.

My friend and I walked out and just said WOW. And to think that we almost missed it. We almost didn't go.

You just can't explain what it feels like to sing hymns with 2-3,000 people .. all from memory, which made it even more special. By the way, we were on the last row in the back! HA! It didn't matter!

It probably gave us a better over-all view.

I pray each one of you will one day have a spiritual experience that overwhelms you and brings you great joy!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Tutu--Sounds like quite an experience.

Temps were in the 70's here today and cloudy. The rain passed us by again.

Did my knee and shoulder exercises this morning.

Went to the PT clinic for feet therapy.

Worked on Bible study.

Yakked with a friend.

Leftovers for dinner.

--------------------
Hiker53

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rain predicted for late morning, so Sonny and I went out to dig the potatoes in the garden. We were working on the last two rows when a light rain started. Hubby came and helped us finish up.

We got a nice amount of potatoes. I planted 10 lbs each of red, white and yellow potatoes. The red ones produced the most. The yellow ones had the least tiny ones. I think I'll save a bunch of little ones for seed potatoes for next year.

Did a few loads of laundry today. It all went in the dryer.

Sewed the dress together for my cousin. But before I put the zipper in, I want her to fit it on. I think we need bit of alteration at the waist and I do not like ripping seams out!

We had mashed potatoes, peas & carrots and hamburger gravy for supper. Left over whoopie pies for dessert. Used some of the sliced or damaged potatoes tonight.

Posts: 2248 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

LymeToo-I too have felt the spiritual LOVE. It is real, beautiful and will never leave you.

hiker- Yippie on your new bike!

MannaMe- With all the gardening you do, do you worry about ticks?

Yesterday went downtown to Chinese restaurant to buy gift certificate for my old boss’s B-day present. Drove back home to my neighborhood Dollar General for card but at checkout, NO wallet.

I felt instant panic, heat, crying, paps, dread.
Left store and drove all the way back into city.

Chinese restaurant hostess SAVED my wallet that I had left on the counter. I offered her 20.00 for her honesty, three times she refused saying she was only doing her job! There are SO many KIND people on this planet and we NEED to hear MORE about them.

My guardian angel, once again swooped in to help, as she always knows when I’m struggling. Thank you. 💕

Took a 2 hour nap, ate dinner and went back to bed.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Bonnie! Yes, there are plenty of honest and good people on our earth.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

BB--Glad you got your wallet back. It is a sickening feeling when you lose your wallet or phone.

I went grocery shopping this morning. They were out of a few items I wanted such as peaches (and the yogurt refrigeration was broken) so I may have to go back tomorrow.

Watered the flowers. Keep hoping for rain (although not like St. Louis) but it seems to go just south of here. Humid but not overly hot.

Did my balance exercises.

Took 3 pairs of shoes back to Fleet Feet. The gentleman who was helping me was not very helpful. I asked him about shoes for high arches that didn't have a ton of cushioning and he told me just to get used to the ones I was wearing. Made no effort at all for me. I bought the Strassburg socks and left without even trying on a pair of shoes.

Called mom.

Did my feet exercises.

Took a very short nap.

And already it is almost dinner time. [Smile]

--------------------
Hiker53

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Have my nurse coming tomorrow morning so housework was mandatory.

Used the Swifter on kitchen floor.

Cleaned kitty litter boxes.

Took out garbage.

Vacuumed dinning room.

Took dog for walk.

Transplanted 10 sunflower plants to yard. They were in pots but refuse to grow. We’ll see.

Pool time was 30 minutes free style strokes and then high kick steps. Leaned up against in-take water hose for a 5 minute water massage.

Sat on porch to read. Back hurt so moved to backyard lounge chair. Back hurt so moved to bed.

Made tuna fish sandwich for dinner. Boy, when I start to open a can of tuna fish, the cats come running!

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the lady I sit with Tuesdays and Thursdays tested positive for Covid. Please pray for Mrs H.

Unfortunately I was there a couple hours when her daughter stopped by and did the at home Covid test. She was positive on it and later at the Dr's office.

Several of her family members also have Covid.

I did an at home test this morning and it's negative. Going to my clinic Friday to get retested.

Me and Mom are back to wearing masks in the house and are at least 6 feet apart if in the same room.

Next Wednesday I'm supposed to take her to an oncologist in Atlanta.

I'm hoping we don't get Covid. We've been vaccinated and boosted twice so I hope it will help.

[Frown]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6137 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BB, we don't worry about ticks, but we do keep an eye out for them. We have guineas free ranging on our property which has reduced the tick population quite a bit. We do still see some occasionally, but not like we did at first.

So glad you found your wallet and the lady kept it safe for you!

Rinsed the potatoes we dug yesterday and sorted them by size. Big, medium, small and tiny. There were more big ones than thought there would be. Everyone would rather peel the big ones! Now to let them dry and then pack them up for storage.

Neighbor was over again this afternoon. Had a good time chatting with him, finding out some history of our place and the neighborhood.

After he left Hubby & I pulled weeds, mostly grass, in the flowerbed in front of the house. We are about half done and the cart was heaping!

Sonny made supper, a one dish casserole using up some of the cut potatoes, some carrots from the garden, peas, onion, and the leftover hamburger gravy from last night.

Posts: 2248 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

AK—It took 6 days for my PT from the time of exposure to get symptoms and test positive.

It took 5 days for mom’s dinner companion to test positive after she was exposed. But my mom never got Covid.

So, you might also want to test next week, too.

Will be praying for you, your mom, and Mrs. H.

--------------------
Hiker53

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ugh .. hope you will be OK, AK.

hiker ... custom cushioned orthothics are the way to go. Saves a lot of time and trouble.

(then all shoes will feel basically the same)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

hiker53
Member # 6046

Tutu--my podiatrist did not recommend custom orthotics as orthotics really throw off my balance. If down the road, the plantar fasciitis gets worse, we might consider it. I am getting used to the Asics shoes but it may take a few more days.

Plus cushioned orthotics on top of the gel that is embedded in the heel of the Asics would make it have way too much cushion.

Part of my issue is finding a shoe that even fits. Only found 2 out of the 20 or so I tried on.

Did my knee exercises and shoulder exercises.

Went to physical therapy and was re-evaluated. She felt I had made enough progress to dismiss me but I will still do my feet exercises daily.

Watered my hydrangeas. One of them looks sickly, so I took a pic and emailed it to the county ag extension office to see if they can help.

Did some more research on the recumbent bike I am buying and some reviews say it is not great for short people. Well, I am short.

So, I called a bunch of shops and the manufacturer to ask and got all sorts of different answers. Guess I will drive the 75 miles tomorrow to the store I am buying it from and try it out. Should have done that to begin with. [bonk]

Called Xfinity who supposedly sent someone out to bury the cable that goes from my yard to other houses. (it's been above ground over a year) Well, they spent a full day digging around and never buried the cable and of course, didn't reseed where they dug. Xfinity wanted way too much personal info from me and I am not their customer. Why do they need my email? Finally hung up on them.

Just washed the sheets and they are in the dryer. Will remake the bed when they are dry.

Off to fix dinner.

[ 07-28-2022, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Finished cleaning the house this morning

My nurse came to give me my infusion. She missed my vein. She never misses my vein. The second poke I gushed blood all over my arm, counter and rug. My fault, I’ve been taking aspirin for back pain, duh.

Sitting for 4 hours was brutal so I laid my belly on my exercise ball and slowly rolled forward and backward. It’s hard to balance but it provides pain relief.

Sat on the porch with my 2 lb weights and worked my arms while a fabulous thunderstorm rolled by.

Sun came out but too tired to get into pool. Waaaaah. 😢

I’m planning on making it an early night and getting to the gym tomorrow morning.

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Baking day.

Pulled weeds around one of my moonflower plants and laid newspaper and sawdust around it. Hopefully it grows as much as the other one did after I mulched it.

Daughter is working on canning her first batch of dill pickles. I'm here to give her advice.

Saw the deer have eaten tops off more sweet potatoes and some of the new beans. We must get the fence put up.

Hubby is sawing more wood.

I'm tired tonight.

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still doing at home PT for me and Mom but noticing I'm not feeling so good. Sore throat, stuffy nose and tired!

Another tree limb fell in our yard so while able I went outside and sawed off a part so I could drag it through the gate and to the curb. Watered lawn and plants too.

Hiker thanks for letting me know to test next week too.

I'll let you all know what I find out at the clinic tomorrow.

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK—omicron Covid often has a sore throat. Best of luck. If 79 year old Biden can get well in 5 days, you sure can.

--------------------
Hiker53

Ann-Ohio
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working on getting spring- cleaning finished. yesterday, I know, I know!
No excuses!

Was working in the basement and came up to see the lawn had been mowed! I didn't know that was on the schedule! Left a message for the landscaping guy. Hope he will be back to do soe=me weeding etc.

So lots of up and down stairs, moving and lifting stuff in the basement, cleaning some windows and screens. Also managed to get my exercises in.

My daughter-in-law ( who is a dr.) saw a greeting card and sent
me a photo. It says "Keep Talking, I'm Diagnosing You".

Seems like a lot of my phone conversations fit that well!

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1584 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm Covid positive and my amazing allergist set up a teleappointment within 15 minutes of me calling with the results.

He prescribed Paxlovid, bed rest and plenty of fluids.

So I'm in bed and getting ready to do some reading.

Oh, BTW, Ms H (who's in her 80's) was prescribed the same drug and is much better today. Thank God!

See everyone tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

Anne-I really need to wash my windows and clean the refrigerator. I am behind on cleaning tasks.

Ak--So sorry you have Covid. Praying for a swift recovery!

Manna--I love dill pickles!

Bb--Hope you made it to the gym.

I got up early today to water the flowers. Added some Miracle Gro to the water for my sickly hydrangea. I think it is toast, though. Probably a fungus.

Made a meatloaf and did my balance exercises while it was cooking.

Made gluten free blueberry muffins and froze most of them.

Drove over to my hometown to the cycle shop to make sure the recumbent exercise bike I am buying fits my small frame. It does!! [woohoo] It will get delivered in 2 weeks.

Stopped at the florist in that town to order flowers from mom's 95th birthday. Wanted to make sure it had yellow roses. We call her "Our yellow rose of Texas."

Drove the scenic way home. Scenic meaning a few woods, lots of wildflowers, but sure a lot of corn and soybeans. Tire pressure light went on, so stopped to check tires. They were fine.

Beautiful day here with a high of 79.

Did my feet exercises and then took a short nap.

Planning an early dinner and then reading a good book.

--------------------
Hiker53

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

akinwlf- sorry to hear about your covid diagnosis. So you, Mrs H, Mrs H’s daughter and her family all got covid together. They were right about it being highly transmissible. Your allergist was on the ball, WOW! Speedy recovery for all.

hiker-your Mom is 95? GOD BLESS HER SOUL!
Um, no gym, no nothing today. I woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus. Headache from hell and the dreaded Lyme hangover symptoms.

Adverse side-effect from ivig? Never happened before.
Ate nuts as a snack, new nut allergy?
Yeast? Mold? Herx? Bug bite on my face 2 nights ago?

Here’s hoping tomorrow will great.

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Still having rain off and on. Been that way since last week. Occasional sunshine peeking through some days.

Just been throwing all the wash in th dryer as its too moist to dry outside.

This morning did laundry, and boxed up some of the potatoes we dug. We had rinsed the ground off of them and laid them out to dry on flattened cardboard boxes.

Laid newspaper in the newly weeded part of the flowerbed and emptied the tub of sawdust from yesterday.

Hubby used the weedeater when ever the rain held off.

Stacked up the bricks at the greenhouse and dug out a little bigger space to lay the bricks. Want to add two steps down to the pathway yet. I stopped when it started raining. My back is protesting from the digging/laying bricks.

Daughter decided to reorganize the closet in her room. We found we could get a board and add another shelf, so we found one that would fit. She sanded it and I helped her put it in.

Had some extra sheets to sort through that aren't being used anymore. Saved some of the top sheets for using for other projects. The fitted sheets wear out first, so they can be pitched.

Happy Birthday to your mom, Hiker!

AK, get well soon!

BB, hope tomorrow is a good day for you!

Ann, when you're done house cleaning at your house, mine could use some help! lol

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK—Hope you are starting to feel better. You, too, BB.

Manna—I use my old sheets for painting projects. Then toss them.

My mom still has few days of being 94 as she reminded me yesterday. Lol. Thursday is her birthday.

I did a load of laundry this morning.

Went for a walk which took twice as long as I expected because I am not used to the cushioning in the new shoes. I lack the proprioception in my feet to connect to the ground. Hope I can adjust quickly as my old ones feel like bricks.

Baked salmon, asparagus and sweet potato for lunch.

Worked on Bible study.

Did a tiny amount of yardwork.

Did my feet exercises.

Researched more shoes in case these Asics don’t work out.

Received some socks from Amazon that I ordered and of course they’re too big so I packed them up and took them in the UPS dropbox. 🙄

Am reading a suspenseful novel. A little bit too scary for my tastes, though: “The New Neighbor” by Carter Wilson.

Probably throw a store bought gluten free pizza in the oven for dinner with a salad and green beans. The pizzas are a perfect size for one person.

[ 07-30-2022, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement