LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Exercise—What you CAN do today. January 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise—What you CAN do today. January 8
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the exercise thread. [woohoo]

Come join this friendly thread as we encourage each other to get up and move.

Exercise might include the typical: going to the gym, lifting weights, walking, using resistance bands etc. But it also includes cleaning, doing laundry, feeding the chickens, grocery shopping etc.

So tell us about your exercise or just tell us about your day.

Have a super week! [hi]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched our church service online. Four members of the choir are out with Covid and it is a small congregation. (About 30)

Did a load of laundry.

Rode the exercise bike 15 minutes.

Called mom. Then chatted with my BFF for a long time.

Watched a little football and read most of the afternoon.

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hiker for getting us motivated and moving this week!

PT twice for me and Mom. Made brunch and dinner with leftovers from our dinner last night.

Me and Mom headed out for some walking and shopping at Joey's Thrift Mall. Found a couple of work pants to wear outside and a fleece jacket for Josh. Mom bought 2 skeins of yarn. Wonder what she's going to crochet next.

Haven't made it to the library yet so hopefully can go tomorrow. We have a nice big main library but miss the old one because it had a large garden. It's a shame they tore it down.

Time to read!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did 2 rounds of back and neck exercises today.
I follow the on-line videos. They are super easy but I just hate doing them. I find I cannot remember how to do them without the videos because I’m just not interested or in the moment to convert them to memory. I love my resistance bands though.

I made homemade peanut butter cookies but they were uneatable and ended in the garbage. Instead of adding oil and water, I used extra peanut butter. They turned into burnt dust patties.

Haven’t had to do laundry in awhile due to wearing sweat pant outfits. Nice.

Took dog for walk to mailbox twice today.

All Christmas decorations are put away. A few neighbors still have their houses lit up. I love that 🎄

Been watching a lot of movies. A crazy Antonio Banderas movie in Spanish and a crazy movie with the late Anne Henche called Cat Fight. With all the streaming services, it’s hard to pick.

Took garbage out.
I tipped the guys last week. They deserved it after all the garbage at each stop after Christmas.

Having ginger turmeric green tea. Nothing to pair it with since I burnt the cookies, waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did my knee and feet exercises after a 5 minute bike warmup. I notice my plantar fasciitis is back and I wonder if it is from pedaling the bike.

Went to another bank to update beneficiaries. Then filled out a form for an investment firm to mail tomorrow.

Talked to mom.

Went to recycling at the grocery store lot.

Rode the exercise bike another 20 minutes.

Took the trash to the curb.

Chicken breast with broccoli and tossed salad tonight.

[ 01-09-2023, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did a couple loads of laundry today and made soup and sandwiches for lunch.

Took Josh his gently used black Columbia fleece jacket that Mom snagged for $10.00 at Joey's. Perfect fit and he's wearing it tomorrow.

The clothes I found there fit perfectly too. Was going to wear both pants for yardwork but the tan Dockers are in great condition so I'll just add it to my wardrobe. Also found a tan hoodie with coral accents.

Have to take Mom's BFF to get her license tomorrow because she lost hers. Hoping to squeeze in some outside work afterwards. Dumped gravel in the gutter near our mailbox so I need to shovel that up. Don't know where it came from but it's going to take at least an hour.

At least the weather's good for outside work now.

BB laughed about the burnt dust patties. Pairs well with my hockey puck biscuits that I made once. Haven't attempted it a second time.

Hiker I think we're going to be doing maintenance PT for the rest of our lives! Really need to exercise to bulk up. Hoping added muscle will relieve stress on my joints.

Time to read a self help book I downloaded.

Night friends!

[hi]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baking day - 30 loaves of bread. Forgot to mix up the sourdough last night, so it got mixed up tonight. It rises all night and then gets shaped into loaves in the morning. Takes about another 3 hours to rise until ready to bake.

Sewed a zipper in a dress.

Washed several loads and dried them in the dryer. Didn't get any of it folded yet.

Sonny bought a 12 string guitar. He was so excited to open the package when he got home from work, only to find it has a crack in it. So disappointed to have to return it. Been waiting his turn to speak with them all evening. He started out at number 23. Last I checked he was at #3. They close soon, so he might not even get to talk with anyone tonight.

Yesterday there were 8 eggs! The young chickens are starting to lay eggs. Tonight there were only 4.

Took care of all the birds and the goats tonight. They were all waiting for their hay. I forgot to back in the goat pen to try to catch the chicken in with them. Oh well, she can just sleep in the goat pen tonight. I'll have to check for an egg in the morning.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Manna--I can't imagine baking 30 loaves of bread. My mom had a double oven, but even then, it would be a lot.

Sorry Sonny couldn't enjoy his new guitar. I sold my old guitar a few years ago. (6 string).

Did my balance and feet exercises this morning.

Cleaning gal came and brought her sister again, so they got through faster than usual. They always do a great job.

Filled the bird feeders.

Rode the exercise bike 20 minutes this afternoon.

Still working on mom's insurance trying to get her name corrected on the insurance card and failing.

Sent a message to her doctor about what needs to be discussed when we go Thursday. I like to give some thoughts in advance and let the MD bring them up to her. That way mom retains some of her dignity rather than me saying in front of her that she doesn't process well etc.

Hope the weather forecast changes as it is calling for rain and snow and high winds Thursday. Today was gorgeous. Almost 50 with sunshine.

Went to the chiropractor. Forgot it was a new year and I have to pay more and meet my deductible before I go the $10 per visit route. That may take a while.

Reading and watching Illini basketball tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

After taking Mom's BFF to get her license thought we'd check at the department store where she thought she might have lost it. I called them yesterday and they said they didn't have it. Well, low and behold they had it!

Now she has 2!

Mom wanted to go to the Asian market today so didn't get my outside chore started.

We both did our PT twice today.

One of my Mom's friends that she's known before she married passed away on the New Year's day. Her daughter called and told my Mom today. Thank God my Mom called her that day but by then she wasn't speaking but her daughter held the phone up to her.

She was 94.

They're having g a traditional funeral and a Zoom one. We're hoping to do the Zoom one since they live in Hawaii.

See you all tomorrow!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK--Glad your mom wants to get out and about. Sorry about her friend passing away.

I went grocery shopping this morning.

Then did my knee and feet exercises.

Chatted on the phone with my friend in Florida. We were college buddies.

Rode the exercise bike 20 minutes.

Talked to mom twice. Reminded her about the MD appointment to which I am taking her tomorrow. Then she called a little while later wanting to clarify the time. She wrote it on the calendar but can no longer read her own handwriting (bad arthritis). I will call her again tomorrow before I leave my house for the hour drive over there.

Took a long nap. Too long as it may keep me awake tonight.

Chicken salad for dinner tonight.

--------------------
Hiker53

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woke up this morning @ 4:30am.
I thought “Absolutely Not” getting up and laid there till 8;30am. It wasn’t necessarily sleep yet wasn’t necessarily awake?

Went to Walmart for birthday supplies and odds and ends. Did alot of walking. On way home, I stopped at a new restaurant for ramen noodle soup with fresh veggies. I was told that ramen noodles are Japanese and the new restaurant is Vietnamese. They did not have any soups. I left with nothing.

Got home and had extreme fatigue. Laid in bed for 2 hours but couldn’t sleep.

Washed a load of clothes.

Took dog for walk. She has her good days and bad days, she’s almost 15!

I’m falling behind on housework. No energy. Poor sleep.
It’s on my to do list for tomorrow morning, when I have the most motivation.

I did eat healthy, cucumber salad, ribeye and cut up apples.
Lots of lemon water.

Ready for bed but it’s only 7:30pm!!!

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut out two dresses today. Pinned the hem in another one.

One of the spools of thread on the overlock sewing machine emptied so I had to put a new one on. I managed to catch the tail before it all ran through, so could not the new one to the old one and pull it through. Threading the overlock is not my favorite thing to do!

Took care of the chickens twice today. Forgot to take an egg basket along out, so put the 5 eggs in an empty bread bag in my pocket. Then remembered to go check the goat pen for that escaped hen's eggs.

Sure enough! In the far corner was a nest with 2 eggs in it. I had to squeeze my way in the pen because the goats were sure I had goodies for them. Two of them put the front feet on my back and I turned and bumped my pocket with the eggs. Smashed one of them. At least it was in the bag!

Untangled the dog a few times. Wrapped her chain around a post. She was tied up while the electrician was here working.

Watered all my flowers in the house.

Checked on the African Lily bulbs in the cold cellar. Hubby said it was so damp the cardboard box was floppy. One end was getting moldy too. I think all the bulbs are okay except maybe the smallest one.

Daughter made supper tonight. Eggs & sausage, pancakes with blueberry syrup or maple syrup.

Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh....hurt my SI joint and bad shoulder shoveling the gravel this morning. It's done but I'm paying the price! I took a hot shower and medicated myself and am laying on a heating pad.

[bonk]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

hiker53
Member # 6046

AK--I almost told you not to mess with the gravel but knew you would anyway! Those jobs belong to Josh! [Big Grin]

I did my balance and feet exercises this morning.

Spent over an hour still trying to get mom's name correct for her health insurance. Another 4 way call with Aetna, State retirement system, my brother and myself.

Drove over to mom's town and took her to the MD. Mom got the time mixed up and wasn't waiting at the door for me, so I had to dash down to her apartment to get her to make it on time. She walks very slowly and it takes a while to get her and her walker loaded in the car.

She needs to go to the dermatologist to have some moles removed. She doesn't want to, but the GP agreed with me.

Drove home in the windy cold weather, but the snow held off. Went to the credit union.

I am exhausted even though I didn't pedal my bike today.

Pork chop for dinner and then rewarding myself with a Snicker's bar.

--------------------
Hiker53

Ann-Ohio
Member # 44364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-Ohio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to get up and walk around every half hour or so. I set the timer on the microwave and walk for 4 or 5 minutes each time.

(only when I am sitting around, not while in bed reading.)

Keeps me from spending hours on my computer, or reading.

Got to keep these old bones moving!

Had a bout with tendonitis in my lower left leg. I was concerned it was my knee finally giving way, but the pain fell familiar, so I used
some roll-on lidocaine. it really worked!

I love reading what everyone else is doing!

--------------------
Ann-OH

Posts: 1584 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Ann—good idea to get up and walk frequently.

We got some snow mixed with freezing drizzle overnight so put my yak tracks on over my shoes and threw down some ice melt. Chatted with my neighbor. He came over and cleared the drive of snow before I put the ice melt down.

Did my knee and feet exercises. Also rode the exercise bike 20 minutes. I did meet my 100 minute goal on the bike for the week.

Took some documents for a friend over to the school district office. She now teaches in another district and can’t get there during their open hours.

Called my mom.

Took another hour nap this afternoon. I am getting into a vicious cycle where I don’t sleep well at night, so I take a nap and then I don’t sleep well at night. [shake]

Am reading another mystery and it is riveting.

It’s Friday, so tossed salad and pizza time. Then reading and watching Illini basketball. Have a great evening. [Cool]

--------------------
Hiker53

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Snow flurries all day today. It only started laying this evening. So far its just a light dusting.

Today I did sewing and washing. So up and down the stairs numerous times was my exercise!

I'm almost done with the last of my dresses. The bobbin emptied halfway through a seam and I decided its time for a snack! So the dress will wait till tomorrow to be finished.

I'd like to make lemon meringue pie tomorrow. We have a bunch of lemons.

Few and watered the chickens twice today. Seven eggs today. I found one this morning, still warm. Tonight the chicken that was outside the pen, came up to the door as I was going in the barn. She saw I had bread along and wanted some. So it was easy to open the door and let her back in the pen.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm BAAAACCCKK..

Hope to catch up tomorrow!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Busy day here.

I did a load of laundry. Then washed the sheets, too, and remade the bed.

I did my balance and feet exercises. Got out the resistance bands for my shoulder exercises.

Baked salmon, asparagus, and sweet potato for lunch.

Saw on mom's insurance website her card has been corrected, so printed it off and went to CVS pharmacy to get it in their computer correctly. Gal helping me was unsure whether it got entered into the system correctly or not. [confused]

Hope mom's card gets mailed to her before the end of January to take to her next medical appointment.

Took my recycling to the bins at the grocery store.

Went to the library, dropped off two books, and checked out two more.

Took down the pinecone wreath from my front door and put up another decoration in its place.

Defrosted the last of the spaghetti sauce I made some time ago and will have it tonight over rice pasta. I will steam some green beans and make my usual tossed salad. I think I need to get more creative with my meals. [Big Grin]

Tutu--hope you enjoyed your trip.

--------------------
Hiker53

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Got my dress finished today.

Finished up the laundry - all folded also.

Made the Lemon Meringue pie.

Have 3 more pie crusts to fill. Blueberry, Oatmeal and Daughter wants cherry. I need to look if we have cherry pie filling. If not, we do have apple pie filling.

Some of them went thrift shopping this afternoon. Came home with treasures. Hubby found himself a pair of shoes. One of the girls found a book of cupcake recipes, the other found cookie recipes.

Neighbor stopped in, looking for a truck to buy ASAP. His was in an accident. Somebody caught the bumper taking the turn too short.

Six eggs today.

Daughter made supper - biscuits and sausage gravy.

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Mostly recovered from the gravel challenge...just the back of my thighs sore from squatting so much.

I've been keeping up with PT for me and Mom's SI joints twice a day and also working on my shoulder once a day.

I'm getting more range of motion with the shoulder which is an absolute miracle because it's not been moving right since 2003. My sternoclavicular joint is still dislocated but over the years the swelling has gone down quite a bit and it's not as painful.

The Zoom funeral service was nice and most of it was in English and Japanese.

I made potato salad to go with ham tomorrow and also made a batch of potato soup. We had a 5 lb bag of red potatoes I needed to use before they went bad. I hate to waste food!

Hope everyone stays warm. We're going to be at 27° tonight so faucets are drip dripping away.

Night friends!

[hi]

--------------------

Alaska Lone Wolf

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement