LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Happy Chanukah

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Chanukah
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Chanukah.

No latkes for me this year because im on the candida diet, but look out next year!

Gut Yontiff,

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Hanukkah!
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Chanukah to you,today is the first day?

Pep,I hope you see this and Many Happy days sent to you.

That's right Jordan,next year look out!

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Chanukah!
Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

Yes, tonight is the first night you light your candles.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Jordan

------------------

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SentByHim
Member # 3998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SentByHim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, here comes Chanukah Harry!!!!

Have a great time.

About the Latkes, cant you use immation potatoes??? Sheesh you gotta have ONE

Hope you enjoy your family this time of year and be blessed.

Sent

Posts: 1574 | From Port St Lucie, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have a very Happy Chanukah, and a happy life what on earth is a latke?
Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Hannukah (spelled differently here)!

Hope you had a good one, mine was nice, very quiet. No presents so the lighting of the menorrah was that much more special.

I don't like latkes (potato pancakes) myself, my mom used to make matzoh meal ones, they were good!!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our first night was very nice.

I had a tiny bite of a latke (kinda like a big hashbrown thing, very oily, but yummy).

Sent:

I never thought about trying to make one with imitation potatoes. Maybe i will check it out and make some for today :-) thanks for the tip.

Im happy that Chanukah came so early this year. It seems to seperate it a little more from Christmas that way.

Have a great week!

Jordan

------------------

cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! No latkes!!!That is cruel and unusual punishment!!!!I have to say that I admire your discipline! I can understand that health comes first - I whine over not having wine LOL! Does your family eat kugel at Hannukah time? One of my favorites - and another deadly carby!

I'm not too sure about the imitation potato thing - that would be like eating a candy cane made from soy - just not natural!!!!!

Wishing you and your loved ones a very beautiful and Blessed Hannukah!!!!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pepster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Great Kids!! Thank you!!!

Sent, do you know Chanukah Harry!!! I can't believe it!!!!!! Our family has tons of Chanukah Harry jokes.

Loribelle, latkes are the most yummy potato pancakes!! They are a ton of work and very very fattening but oh so yummy!! I am going to a Chanukah party on Saturday night and I'll go ahead and throw out the no carbs rule for the night.

They are yummy-you eat them with sourcream and/or applesauce!!

Anyone want a recipe..let me know!!

Posts: 230 | From Somewhere Sunny | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happy,happy from gary..everyone is on the same page ,this time of year..it's wonderful!

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cootiegirl:

"I" make an amazing kugel. Cooking is not my thing, but i do have a few tricks in my bag. I also can make a mean matzah ball.

Yes, the diet sucks. But i guess Passover will be very easy to deal with this year. I dont eat anything leavened anymore. Maybe by then i could have a small matzah ball.

I had my blood drawn yesterday to check my candida levels. Im crossing my fingers.

I have been off ABX for two months and STILL have a yeast problem. OY!

Jordan

------------------

Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa,

I would LOVE your latke recipe. I was trying to put together a special breakfast menu for Christmas morning, and I've forgotten exactly how to make potato pancakes.

Latkes for Christmas? Jesus was a Jew!

Thanks,

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jbgoth,
You should post the kugel recipe! I'm with Sue...we need to adopt some of these foods into Christmas because they are just the best.Add some kugel, a few blintzes, some bagels and lox to that breakfast buffet, and you are good to go!!!!

I can see where Passover would be a bit easier on your body, but for us, Easter is a cholesterol nightmare! You can hear our arteries cracking by day's end from all the egg based foods and smoked meats LOL!

Matzah ball soup ranks right up there with me, as well as a good pastrami on rye! There is a to die for deli in NYC that makes a delicious chicken soup with matzah the size of softballs! And light! They make their own pastrami and the sandwiches have to be well over a pound of meat per sandwich....I won't even go into their pickles LOL!!!!

Well I hope your test results are favorable for you - the yeast business is just so nasty~
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cootie ya make me hungary!

I grew up in MD and went to NC for college.I met the most wonderful guy in college and went to his home one break.

His home was on Long Island.Well,the first morning his Mom got the bagels for me!!!!Then his friends brought over another dozen or so!!!!The next day he and I went to the bagel shop and got almost every kind!!

I have never had anything better.Oh they were the best,just no comparison.I ate my weight in bagels,wish I could do that now,oh youth.

My sis in law lives in NYC.Cootie ,one of my all time favorites is pastrami on rye,so she made it a special deli trip.Oh,did we have a great time.Yes,it was the mile high sandwich and the pickles,I can smell them now.

We also went to a small Chinese restaurant.We went with the nieces and nephews and a few friends and they served us family style,they dined beside us.Wow,I will never forget that meal.

The bagels,I wish I had one now!

Please post the Kugel recipe,I would love to have that for the holidays.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Chanukah. I have no idea what that means though. I would like to educated though if you don't mind sharing with me. I could have looked it up but I thought maybe there may be others on the board that don't know either.

I am familair some with the Jewish Holiday but I have never heard of this.

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my kugel recipe! It is not lyme or candida friendly, but it sure is good.

1/2lb med egg noodles
2 cups hot milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 large philly cream cheese
1 small carton cottage cheese
2T vanilla
1 stick butter (melted and placed in the bottom of pan)
2 small boxes kellogs frosted flakes (crushed slightly)

Boil the noodles
Beat sugar & eggs together
Add cheeses - add vanilla & hot milk
Mix in noodles
Put in pan
Finally, sprinkle on top crushed frosted flakes

Bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.

The holiday of Chanukah was established to commemorate the Maccabeean victory over the Syrian-Greeks and the rededication of the Holy Temple in 165 B.C.E. (before common era) aka B.C.

There were only 6 total Maccabees who defeated the Syrian forces using guerrilla warfare. That was truly a miracle.

When the Maccabees reclaimed the desecrated Temple, they found a single jar of consecrated oil, which was used to keep the Eternal Flame lit.

There was only enough oil to last for one day, but lo and behold, the oil lasted for 8 days.

Thus the miracle of the oil became the preferred justification for the lighting of candles.

This is kinda what the holiday is about. If you want to know more you can go to www.ou.org and there is a ton of information there. Its a pretty cool story.

Hope everyone is feeling well. I just walked 3 miles outside :-)

Im getting there....

Jordan

------------------

3greatkids
Member # 3838

thanks!
lymebrat
Member # 3208

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Hanukkah!!

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Chanukah everybody!!!!!

Here's a good giggle:

MATZO BALLS

When Ariel Sharon came to Washington for meetings with George W., for the state dinner, Laura Bush decided to bring in a special kosher chef and offer a truly Jewish meal.

At the dinner that night, the first course served is matzo ball soup. George W. looks at this and after learning what it was called, he tells an aide that he can't eat such a gross and strange-looking brew.

The aide says that Mr. Sharon will be insulted if he doesn't at least taste it.

Not wanting to cause trouble (after all, he ate sheep's eye in honor of Arab guests), George W. gingerly lowers his spoon into the bowl, retrieves a piece of matzo ball and some broth, hesitates, then swallows.

A big grin appears on his face. He finds that he really likes it, so he digs right in and finishes the entire bowl.

"That was delicious," Bush says to Sharon. "Do Jews eat any other parts of the matzo or just the balls?"

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

LMAO ............... Priceless :-)

Jordan

------------------

Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jordan. Since I have been on Lymenet I have learned soooo much and not just about Lyme Disease. It is nice to get outside my one little corner of the world and learn new things about people.

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

LMAO!!!
Jordan,
Do you ever put raisins in your kugel? Your recipe sounds delicious. I'm going to give it a go.
cootiegirl

Magdalena
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6096

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Magdalena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Chanukah, Jordan and to all!!!

So GREAT to see you back after the hectic hurricane season!

Maggie

Posts: 400 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement