LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » As We Help Quake Victims--We Need To Remember Where We Are--Check Out Photo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: As We Help Quake Victims--We Need To Remember Where We Are--Check Out Photo
Kara Tyson
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at t shirt of 3rd man on left.
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=51896117&cdi=0

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aid needs to come from the heart of the giver. Once strings are added, it becomes complicated and less of a gift and more of a bribe.

We cannot control what others are going to do, but does that mean we should not help them in their time of need?

Maybe that fellow will realize that the guy on his T-shirt is not the one giving him assistance and change his allegiance. But if he doesn't, I'm okay with helping him anyway. Maybe he'll be less inclined to take terroristic action against us, if that was his leaning in the past.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just need to be very aware that much of our money may not go to the victims at all but to destroy us.

The Gov's of these countries want cash. Lest we forget the food for oil scandal.

I think that it is perfectly acceptable for us to add strings, if the strings are that we demand to know where the money is going and how it is being used.

It is ok to make sure that the money goes to victims and not to Islamic forces around the world.

These Gov's do not care if they skim money off the top and leave their citizens without aid.

And I doubt any aid will change the mind of the wearer. What part of infidel dont we understand?

[This message has been edited by Kara Tyson (edited 06 January 2005).]

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<< These Gov's do not care if they skim money off the top and leave their citizens without aid. >>

That is so true. I've seen it in less developed countries wehre I've worked, but it seemed less so in Indonesia than in Africa.

My comments above on giving are not about giving money to governments. I was thinking of personal giving to reputable charities that will translate that money into food, water, medicine, and shelter for the people.

As for the fellow in the objectionable T-shirt, there's a good chance he will bow to peer pressure and keep on the same path, but maybe not. I will still give from the heart with no expectations of the recipients.

[This message has been edited by Sue vG (edited 10 January 2005).]

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

It bothers me that I have not received any sort of acknowledgment from the family to whom I was a green santa this past year. *They* can do better.

A thank you is nice, but I dont expect it.

You never know what is going on in someone's life.

Sue vG
Member # 3143

JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 10 January 2005).]

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure neither of you were kaitlin's santa's but in case you were - we did get a box that didn't have a name - just secret santa and the address.

That was why I put up my post to thank all of my kids' santa's - felt wierd writing a thank you note to 'green santa' on an envelope.

But I want to thank the two of you for your efforts - I know how much the Green santa's did for my kids and I can't imagine how it would be to shop for someone especially having lyme.

And Jill, 3 kids, that's amazing. You are both very appreciated.

[This message has been edited by lymesux (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

I thought the whole idea of Green Santa was that it was "secret". That way the person giving wouldnt feel obligated to give a certain priced gift and the person receiving wouldn feel obligated for a thank you.
Sue vG
Member # 3143

KBear
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh Sue and Jill, I had the same exact experience being a green santa this year. I made a special unique gift for my child and sent a box full of things that were specially picked out that I thought she would like and even sent something for the whole family. Not to mention packing it up and going 40 miles to FedEx to mail it. I spent more on this child, that I didn't even know, than I did on my own nieces and nephews. I happily did it, but I don't think a thank you is too much to ask.

Unfortunately, because of this I probably won't be doing it again next year. I did it last year and this year, pretty much against my husbands wishes. He felt I was already doing too much for the holidays and didn't need to be adding another person to buy for, so this is just another reason for him to use for me not to do it. And to be honest, and this may sound awful, but it makes me really not want to do it again.

And AK, I know how much your green santa's appreciate your thanks! You are so sweet!!!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest! I really felt bad that I was thinking this way, but glad I'm not the only one.
KB

[This message has been edited by KBear (edited 07 January 2005).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Lymesux,

I appreciate the appreciation. I was not a GS to your little sweeties, but I was touched that you and a couple of other parents came online to say thanks to the nameless Green Santas.

I'm glad your kids were well taken care of this year by caring lymies. You're a great mom to allow others to share in their joy.

Sue

JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

I do understand how you feel and don't blame you at all - I can't imagine how someone can not thank you for being so wonderful to their precious children.

I know how incredibly grateful I was to have these amazing and special gifts from people my kids didn't even know - I couldn't imagine not thanking them.

Hopefully, some people are just late on their thank you notes - I know my Christmas cards just went out yesterday due to how sick I was at Christmas. (maybe?)

Kbear - don't be making your husband mad now! Lol.

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is not that you are not appreciated but that some of the Lymenet members would like to keep there finantial difficulties annonimous. The idea of secret santa is not to keep the giver secret but the reciever. It is up to that person wether they want everyone to know.

Being a secret santa is a wonderful thing and what you did I am sure made those families very happy but they just choose to keep their identeties a secret. You may know who they are but we don't. Maybe they will send you a card in the mail or something if you had a return address on the box.

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

I still say give the people the benefit of the doubt. For all anyone knows, a thank you card might have gotten lost in the mail.

Also, please realize not everyone is taught that it is proper to send thank you notes.

And sometimes people just forget. Maybe they thought they sent a thank you note but didnt.

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

I am sure all of us have seen the angel tree at the mall. When you buy a gift for an angel...do you expect a thank you?

When you give to the salvation army person with the bell...do you expect a thank you?

If it bothered me that much (if I didnt get a thank you) then I am not sure I would give, because there is always that possibility.

Things get lost, people forget, heck...they might even be embarrased to have taken "charity".

Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kara Tyson:
I am sure all of us have seen the angel tree at the mall. When you buy a gift for an angel...do you expect a thank you?

When you give to the salvation army person with the bell...do you expect a thank you?

If it bothered me that much (if I didnt get a thank you) then I am not sure I would give, because there is always that possibility.

Things get lost, people forget, heck...they might even be embarrased to have taken "charity".

Thank you Kara

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

You know what - I'd never seen the paper angels tree at the mall but this year I heard the song 'Paper Angels' by Jimmy Wayne - its beautiful if anyone hasn't heard it.

He sings it about the kids - he and his sister have helped those kids - this has nothing to do with what you were talking about, just that Kara mentioned paper angels and I had never known they really existed.

I think its awesome!

Cindy, you are very right - people would want to be anonymous (and spell it right if i didnt).

KBear
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kara Tyson:
I am sure all of us have seen the angel tree at the mall. When you buy a gift for an angel...do you expect a thank you?[/QUOTE}

NO, and this is probably what I will do next year.

NO, but you get one anyway! Every time I give they go out of their way to say thank you.

If it bothered me that much (if I didnt get a thank you) then I am not sure I would give, because there is always that possibility.[/QUOTE]

I did this without expecting a thank you. I didn't realize I would feel bad about not getting one. I hope that doesn't make me a rotten person, but unless you've been in this situation, you don't know how you would feel, so please don't judge. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but I give to as many charities as I can and don't expect a thank you, but this is a personal thing.

As far as I knew, it's "green" santa not "secret" santa. Maybe I got it wrong.

And AK, he's always mad about something anyway! (Just kidding, LOL.)

[This message has been edited by KBear (edited 08 January 2005).]

Sue vG
Member # 3143

KBear
Unregistered

Thank you Sue. You've expressed my feelings exactly!
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Almost everyone has been in the position of giving and not receiving a thank you.

And the Salvation Army doesnt always give a thank you. Many times there is just a bucket and no person.

There is no such thing as levels of giving. A drop in the bucket is just as personal as wrapping a present and sending it. And one quarter is just the same as giving $1000.

Either give willingly, honestly, and joyfully. Or just dont give. It is that simple.

But give people the benefit of the doubt.

Guess what I got yest. in the mail??

Someone elses Christmas present--the postal service had lost the package (sent early Dec) and not only did it arrive late--but to the wrong person!

The package was filled with what was supposed to be fresh pears--they werent. They were rotten and leaking out of the box.

I hate to think that the giver is at home steaming over not getting a "thank you" from the person it was going to--who doesnt even know they are supposed to have it!

Sue vG
Member # 3143

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry disgruntled santas, i agree with kara on this one, though you didn't ask... i have been dirt poor, raised two little ones by myself. i am not now, thank God, but i REMEMBER.

i know many many people would feel the same as you do. i personally feel that giving 'in the spirit' does not keep score and wait to be thanked, rather do good and forget it.

i guess it depends on the giver's motives for giving. to help make a child's Christmas a little brighter? or to help them selves feel good? to be admired for their generosity perhaps?

many reasons are possible i suppose. i am not trying to scold, just to suggest that if your needs were not met by giving maybe you should not give. my bet is that you gave for reasons other than what you think you did... hmmmmm.

btw, dang-it, i was not wanting to get sucked into this kind of thing, i wanted to post a reply to the POST about the dude in the osama bin laden t-shirt! now i forgot what i was going to say, hehe.

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from my reply, above:
"...many reasons are possible i suppose. i am not trying to scold, just to suggest that

if your needs were not met by giving maybe you should not give.

my bet is that you gave for reasons other than what you think you did... hmmmmm."

dear sue,

evidently you read much more into my reply than is intended to be there.

i certainly didn't call you or anyone else a monster. i just presented my opinion of giving, that's all. i am sorry you were offended. maybe i would have been too, i don't know.

btw, i also have the opinion that it is nice to say thank you when someone does something nice for you, or your family. i don't think they're monsters for not thanking you, either...

and i STILL can't remember what i was going to say about the t-shirt thing in this post!

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

All I've said is that it would have been nice.

KBear
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Loribelle:
sorry disgruntled santas

I am not disgruntled, disappointed or a little hurt would be a better description.

i guess it depends on the giver's motives for giving. to help make a child's Christmas a little brighter? or to help them selves feel good? to be admired for their generosity perhaps?[/QUOTE]
#1 yes. #2 yes, there's nothing wrong with that. #3 This is way out of line, no one except my husband even knew I did this, and he didn't even want me to do it!

my bet is that you gave for reasons other than what you think you did... hmmmmm.[/QUOTE]
Please don't take this the wrong way, but just what does that mean? Please explain.

KBear
Unregistered

The bottom line here is that we're just saying it would have been NICE to get a thank you.
I'm sure there have been times in my life when I should have thanked some one and didn't, but no one here can tell me that if they did something for someone and got thanked for it that it wouldn't make them feel good.

And PS, I probably WILL do this again next year anyway.

JillF
Member # 5553

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 08 January 2005).]

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

I think what you all did was wonderful.

I know what it's like to have an entire family severely ill.

The financial devistation and the day to day is unbelievable, don't know how I got through 2002-2004. I really don't, and can't remember allot of it..

I'm lucky I remebered to pay my phone bill, or give the kids all their medcines. (no..wait..I didn't remember that all the time either) In fact, it isn't uncommon as a Lyme family to have lots of friends and relatives peeved at you for all the things you forgot to, just couldn't, or just didn't do..

I could not get it together this year or last to help with the Green Santa Project, and have never been a recipient, either..

But I do know how incredible the kids must have felt having a nice, "normal" Christmas day..especially for the "older" kids..who are plagued with not feeling normal even moreso than the littler ones.
..it must have been a wonderful day for them and I'll thank you for them. OK?

I have a strong feeling that they either have not gotten to yet, or have a good reason for having not done so..a very good reason I'd wager.

Anonimity is important to some, but also I know if anyone had sent to us last year, I'd just now be getting around to a long thank you note..a year later. And I'd be justified in my poor manners.

Then again, we are also talking about TBD's here...if serious mood and cognitive disorders are present, they may not realize how grateful they are at the moment!

Just remember..the degrees to which families are suffering we can't really know or judge. That's why you gave, right?

I think you all were incredibly wonderful and extremely caring to do this kind of personalized giving, and you should feel very, very good about it.

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KBear
Unregistered

I was going to try and let this post just die, but I feel I have to reply.

Thanks for your input Mo, but you don't have to explain to me what it's like to have lyme. Having lyme for 19 years, I know what it's like to suffer from it. Take everything you said about the effects of lyme, and add to it shopping for your own family and shopping, packing and mailing for a complete stranger and that would be MY situation.

And I'm not "judging" anyone. My gosh, why are we being made out to be horrible people??!!

And just FYI, As far as being able to function, I made something personal for this child and I had some questions for the mom. I e-mailed her through Barb a few times and she always managed to get back to Barb almost immediately with her input, so I guess where there's a will there's a way.

Once again, all I said was it would be NICE to have a thank you. I'm not mad at these people, I don't hate them, judge them, loathe them, dislike them, think they're bad people or wish then any ill will. Okay??!!

This whole thing has been made into so much more than it actually is. Why is every one so quick to put themselves in the recipients shoes and not the givers? Sorry I don't get it. You all don't know the whole situation, so don't be so quick to judge ME!

[This message has been edited by KBear (edited 09 January 2005).]

KBear
Unregistered

last post came up twice

[This message has been edited by KBear (edited 09 January 2005).]

lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand that this does not go with the topic posted, but since it was headed in this direction I wanted to share it with you.

This year I did pick an Angel from the Angel Tree. I asked for a girl my daughter's age (7) and one that was asking for a modest toy. Hoping that her age would help me figure out what she would probably like.

I spent at least $100 on her and could have easily gone over board. It was fun. I look forward to us doing it again next year, if finances alow it.

I want my daughter's to know about the spirit of giving. It does make you feel warm inside.

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Softballmom
Member # 6235

I am gonna be totally honest with you and you all might get mad with me but here goes. The post that I have read on here. If I needed the help of a green Santa and read this I would be less likely to participate next year. Not as a giver but as a reciever.

I can't imagine how degraded these posts have made some feel. Sorry if I have offened but that is how I would feel.

Maybe these people have no stamps. Maybe they can't drive out to get any. Maybe it is like Mo said they had forgoten due to their lyme and if they had read this and remember, I surely would be less likely to send one out now.

I was a green Santa but never announced it at any time. Barb and a couple of friends over email were the only ones that knew I was a green Santa. I didn't want personal recognition or acknowledgement. I Didn't get a thank you until the other other day but it didn't bother me I was just happy knowing that I was able to help another family at Christmas. Christmas is about giving unconditionaly. Finatially we were strapped but I still felt my family was better of that some others so I did it because I wanted to help someone else.

Lets do drop this as to not further pursecute the recievers of these Green Santa's gifts.

I am sorry if I was ugly in any way but as this kept going on I can not help but think about the feelings of the people who swallow their pride and take part in this wonderful program that Barb has set up.

Cindy

JillF
Member # 5553

I got a thank you card today!

I knew what it was right away. I was so excited - it was almost as if it were a present I was waiting to open.

I got tears in my eyes when I read the card! All that I went through and all the money I spent was worth that one thank you card.

[This message has been edited by JillF (edited 11 January 2005).]

Sue vG
Member # 3143

All we said was that a word of appreciation would have been nice.

THAT'S ALL WE SAID! C'mon, give us a break! Show us the same understanding and charity you're showing to the recipients, with whom we were happy to share, AS WE SAID.

Can we let this go now?

KBear
Unregistered

Yeah but Cindy, didn't it feel good when you DID get that thank you?

And PU-LEEZE, no one degraded or persecuted any of the GS recipients. I think you're being a bit dramatic here.

If anything this post has made me darn sure to thank anyone for doing anything for me. Maybe it will make others think too. Hope so.

bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came on here to read Kara's comment and then noticed all the GS comments so I read them all.

May I suggest this?

To those of you who did not receive any type of a thank you, could you click on that person's nickname, and ask if they got your GS gift?

Did their child like what they received?

Hopefully, they will take 1 minute to respond to you and you will be reassured that it did arrive for their kids.

Betty G., I won't be back to read any followups.

Best wishes to you all.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement