LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » My husband's friend died in Iraq bombing Thursday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My husband's friend died in Iraq bombing Thursday
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 9 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We found out today that one of my husband's friends died in the latest bombing.

He has been friends with Kurt since 2nd grade. My husband and I have been together for 15 years and this this only the second time i have seen him cry.

They hadn't been in close contact in the last few years but it is still hurting him.

We, the community of Houma has lost 5 from our "black sheep" national guard unit in this one bombing.

You know I read ya'll political/war post and know what is going on but it never really felt real before.

Now it is real, up close and way to personal. Kurt left a wife and 3 boys 1 9 yrs old and 7 yr old twins.

When will all this end? My God I don't even understand what we are still fighthing for?

It is just so unfair for all our men and women out there fighting and families struggling to make it without them.

Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, Starr..

I'm so sorry for you and your husband, and this wonderful man's family.

Heartfelt condolances..

Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am SO sorry!

That is absolutely terrible.

His poor wife and children.

Will be praying for your family and his. My list of people to pray for is just getting longer and longer.

Is this war going to become another Vietnam?

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It already is.
Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Starr,

I feel just horriable for you and your husband. I will be thinking about you!

God Bless his family!! His wife and 3 kids!

I have not lost anyone close to me yet in this war, but I lost a cousin to GWI

I agree with Mo, this is turning into the next Vietnam

Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys don't know anything about Vietnam obviously.
Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
been through this before...thought's and prayer's...gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am very sorry for your husband and yourself, his friend and his family. Thinking of you.

Betsy

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipzip
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zipzip     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 24bit:
You guys don't know anything about Vietnam obviously.

and you obviously know nothing about empathy and decency, didn't even bother to send your condolences.....

my blessings to you and yours Starr.

did you fight in Nam 2-bit?

i've studied the Vietnamese-American conflict intensively, i've even travelled to Vietnam and spoken to people who fought with and against the American forces.

what is the qualification of your expertise? you bought Platoon on DVD?

your post is a narcisstic, selfish detachment from the thread. truly pitiful.

[This message has been edited by zipzip (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 795 | From nyc | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am so sorry.

My neighbor lost her Grandson before the holidays.Great kid.

Take care.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank's zip....i guess you were there....happy new year,,gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KBear
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so, so sorry about this Starr.
We have friends over there too that I worry about.
My sympathies to his family.
Please keep all the troops in your prayers.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beach4so, I know you're a person of faith and will trust God to fulfill his promises to take care of your friend Kurt's wife and his sons.

Loss of loved ones is so hard and it will take time to heal the broken hearts. God is faithful and shall gather his children to his breast and cover them with his comfort and peace at this time.

Whether or not this war will prove the right or wrong thing, there will always be opinions for and against just as there still are re: Vietnam.

Regardless, God is in control of life and death, and Star you know righteousness and justice have already been won, yet we see not the fruits her on earth presently. The day is coming when ;
"God Himself shall be among them and shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall be no longer any mourning, or crying, or pain; the old things have passed away and HE who sits on the throne will make all things new"!

Pretty awesome, huh?

[This message has been edited by weeza3 (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr,

I am so very sorry to hear this. Wishing his family and friends comfort and healing.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
24bit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24bit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sincere apologies. I meant to give my condolences but was distracted by the wacky Vietnam comments. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and in the end, I think you will see that he saved many future lives for his brave actions.

[This message has been edited by 24bit (edited 08 January 2005).]

Posts: 600 | From Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the whole country shares your loss, starr. i am so sorry. war sucks, what an understatement. my heart goes out to his wife, kids and parents especially, as well as friends. we ALL lost those men.

my sincere condolences, lori

p.s. pretty awesome weeza, indeed.

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank ya'll,

Just hard to understand and watch. My husband is going from grief to anger which I guess is normal.

I really feel for Kurt's mom,she just lost Kurt's dad in Oct and now her son. I can't even begin to imagine her pain.

As always there are pro and con's to everything. Still I never understood the war.

I pray so much for ALL the men and women out there and their families back home. It just isn't fair to them.

Thanks again for ya'll love and support.

Weeza you are sooo right. Actually just read that same thing this morning.

Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if any of ya'll like country but i have always like the song by Tim McGraw "live like you were dying".

Today my husband and I were talking that we should "Live like you were dying" and now he really, really understands that song.

It is ashame that it takes something so bad to make you stop and think and re-evulated your life.

I have always know that you guys on Lymenet were the greatest. Just want ya'll to know how much I appreciate all of ya'll.

Thanks for always being here.
Starr

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr,

I love that song and boy can I appreciate it but its too bad now that your husband has to know this way how to appreciate it.

take good care.
betsy

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weeza3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

We're all sending you a gigantic group hug.....

Hope you can feel it !

Pray for the election day in Iraq, the safety of our men & women, and the brave Iraqi people that will come out and vote.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Starr,

I do not know where to begin....

So many thoughts are going through my mind.
My condolences should be first and foremost.

I will say a special prayer for you, your husband and his family he left behind.

Weeza is right and that is how I have been able to get through all the days without him (my husband) here.

I spoke to him on the phone Friday.
He had not been able to get on the phone of or the net because they turn them off when something happens to a soldier in order for the family to be notifies first.

He lost 3 from his camp (39th from AR) on Thursday. That may be one of the men you are talking about. I asked him if he knew them and he said yes.

He said he happened to go on patrol with them just a week earlier and they travel through the same place everyday.

My heart completely sunk.
If you haven't already.....re-read what Weeza wrote.
I have already read it three times.

Awesome, yes.

Bless his family and carry them through these rough times that lay ahead.

Sending my deepest sympathy,
Amanda

Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Once again I thank all of ya'll for the prayers going out to this family, and others fighting.

Amanda, I have always kept you and others on this board with family in the service in special prayers.

I don't know how you stay so strong with your husband there fighting this battle and you at home with the kids fighting the lyme battle. I admire you more then you will ever know.

I have been reading alot more new articles and post to try and understand some stuff but I think it is a lost cause for me to understand.

I think like Weeza said Weather or not this war will prove right or wrong....

I believe that big time, but I also believe it needs to end.

Amanda please know your family and all the soliders serving our country are always in my prayers.

Thanks
Starr

lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you STarr! Always.
Posts: 688 | From SW Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sad to hear yet another life touched by this poisonous, illegal, stupid war. I pray for your friend's family.
Sincerely, hcfDave

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr, my heartfelt sympathies to your husband and the soldier's family.

I just went to general support looking for a post from "darth --- vader?" about his losing his Mom to lyme.

I posted many sympathy poems on his post. May I suggest doing a search for his name or going to general support? My pc locked up & wouldn't let me go to screen 3 after Jan. 6. Hope you find some poems to give to his family. Betty G., Iowa

I'm off here now for the day.

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Here's the post Betty is talking about http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/030243.html
Softballmom
Member # 6235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Softballmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr,

I am so sorry to here about the loss suffered in your community. War is so hard to understand and tragic for what ever the reason for it.

Even though my father survived he still suffers from the lingering mental effects from the Korean war he went into at age 19. He is now in his 70's. It touched all our lives at some point. Starr I will keep your family in my prayers.

Amanda I will keep your family in my prayers also. I can only imagine how hard this must be on your family and especially your husband. I do pray that the goals for this war are met soon and our men and women are returned home to their families.

Cindy

Posts: 1331 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymesux, thank you for taking the time to find & post for her. Betty G.
Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 9 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Beach4so,

My sincere condolences.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiffyQue
Member # 3317

Icon 9 posted      Profile for DiffyQue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Starr,

My sincere condolences.

dq

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Once again, Thank ya'll so much.

My husband can't believe the support you guys have provided for everything over the last year and half.

The community has really stepped up to help all the families involved in this and I can say it has diffently made people stop and think.

Hard to believe I have been around here that long.

Hopefully one day my life slows down a little so i can spend more time on here.

Getting ready for a work related trip to Elk City OK, never been out that way before should be interesting.

Starr

lookin4answers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4974

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lookin4answers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this work trip will be something of a stress reliever....I hope anyway. Just to get away from home (for me) is sometimes a good thing.

SBM: Thank you....prayer is ALL we need right now!

Yes, the kindness/goodwill of communities can totally surprise you in times like these.

This family has a long time of healing ahead. I pray her surroundings (community, family, and friends) do not disappear in the coming weeks.

weeza3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6071

Dedicated to beach4so
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The military wife~
---- Author Unknown
The good Lord was creating a model for military wives and was into His sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared. She said, "Lord, you seem to be having a lot of trouble with this one. What's wrong with the standard model?"
The Lord replied, "Have you seen the specs on this order. She has to be completely independent, possess the qualities of both a father and mother, be a perfect hostess to four or forty with an hour's notice, run on black coffee, handle every emergency imaginable without a manual, be able to carry on cheerfully, even if she is pregnant and has the flu, and she must be willing to move to a new location ten times in seventeen years. And, oh yes, she must have six pairs of hands!"
The angel shook her head, "Six pairs of hands? No way.
" The Lord continued,"Don't worry, I will make other military wives to help her. And I will give her an unusually strong heart so it can swell with pride in her husband's achievements, sustain the pain of separations, beat soundly when it is overworked and tired, and be large enough to say, 'I understand' when she doesn't and say 'I love you', regardless."
"Lord," said the angel, touching his arm gently. "Go to bed and get some rest.You can finish this tomorrow."
"I can't stop now," said the Lord. "I am so close to creating something unique. Already this model heals herself when she is sick, can put up six unexpected guests for the weekend, wave good-bye to her husband from a pier, a runway or a depot, and understand why it's important that he leave."
The angel circled the model of the military wife, looked at it closely and sighed, "It looks fine, but it's too soft."
"She might look soft," replied the Lord. "But she has the strength of a lion. You would not believe what she can endure."
Finally the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the Lord's creation. "There's a leak," she announced. "Something is wrong with the construction. I am not surprised that it has cracked. You are trying to put too much into this model."
The Lord appeared offended at the angel's lack of onfidence."What you see is not a leak," He said. "It's a tear." "A tear?" What is it there for?" asked the angel.
The Lord replied, "It's for joy, sadness, pain, disappointment, loneliness, pride and a dedication to all the values that she and her husband hold dear."
"You are a genius!" exclaimed the angel.
The Lord looked puzzled and replied, "I didn't put it there."

~A Million Miles Away~
----Author Unknown
A Soldier by title ~ A Soldier all day and night.
When will you have time to be a husband to your wife?
You will be there for her in spirit and always in her thoughts.
You try to make her happy, though the Army twists your plans in knots!
An Army Wife by title ~ Called a privilege by the few.
She'll Stick by her husband, that's what she will do.
He may be at home or a million miles away, But in her heart he will always stay.

l

~The Military wife's Life~
by Alexandra Benakis

The military wife has so much to bear,
She's everything at once, no one could compare,
When God made her, he had perfection in mind,
For nowhere on Earth is another of her kind,
She leads a life not many choose to,
For her job is the hardest in the military to do,
She is couragerous and strong, one would say made of steel,
But way deep down is a heart that can feel,
She stands by her husband, so proud and so tall,
And waits many night by the phone for a call,
She's Mommy and Daddy all rolled into one,
She'll never rest easy until her job's done,
She sits all alone and in silence she weeps,
Did I do a good job, is my family okay?
But deep in her heart she knows that it's true,
God is right beside her helping her through...

[This message has been edited by weeza3 (edited 11 January 2005).]

Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Starr,

Be sure to pack your thermals. Last time (and only time) I was in Elk City it was January and -10.

Sue

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope the military is treating the family ok.

My husband was in the Air Force in the original Gulf "war".

A pilot on our base was killed/ shot down. The family received a notice to get off base. They were given a deadline of 3 weeks.

Because his body was not recovered his pay was stopped and the wife had no access to his income--supposidly for up to 10 years.

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All in all, out of the branches the Air Force does treat their people well. Officers and enlisted lived together in the same housing (which was very nice).

My husband was over in Oman, but was sent back when our youngest son became critically ill. But the Air Force guys had air conditioned tents and were well off.

Probably the worst was that as a "joke", one of the commanders of the base sent out formal invitations to the wives of the men that were overseas.

The invitations said that they wanted to treat the wives to a nice dinner for all that they had been through.

The women got dressed up and went to the "dinner". Instead they were seated and thrown MRE's to eat.

My dad was in Vietnam but came back after a bleeding ulcer.

After the US pulled out of Vietnam the military gave the wives of the soldiers sex classes so that they could learn all the tricks of the trade the Vietnamese prostitutes knew (to my mother's horror).

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magdalena
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starr,

I just now saw this post and send you and your husband, your friend's family and your community my condolences and prayers.

This is a tragic war.

When I saw the headlines online a day or two ago about 6 national guardsmen being returned to the Belle Chase area suddenly your name flashed before me.

I was not sure why and tonight I read this.

Yes, it is a painful thing that our nation finds itself in.

There really are no words to speak at this point except, "Save the flower of our youth and get us out of Iraq!"

Peace and Blessings,
Maggie

[This message has been edited by Magdalena (edited 13 January 2005).]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Well the services are tomorrow.

I don't even know the guy well but seeing everything in the paper has just torn my heart out. My husband is hanging in there, been talking to alot of "old" buddies from school.

We are suspose to go and hopefully I can make it, He is going with or without me.

I am getting ready for a 2 week trip out of state and am busting my butt so I can make the funeral with him.

Just the thought of it makes me cry and I can hear those guns going off for the 21 gun salute. My dad had that and I will NEVER EVER forget the sound of taps and then the shots. This time it has even more meaning then when my dad died.

I just hope the media doesn't over do it at the services. I noticed some of the arragements had "private" or "no media/spectators allowed". It is ashame that they have to do that.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
Starr

beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Also, I plan on coping some of the beautiful poems ya'll posted here on the sympathy card.

If that is ok with ya'll?

Starr

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many blessings tomorrow, Starr..

Mo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement