LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » FOLLOW UP WITH GOVERNOR OF TENNESSEE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FOLLOW UP WITH GOVERNOR OF TENNESSEE
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apologize for the delay in following up but I have been doing a great deal of research and putting a lot of thought into this situation as well.

I spoke with Dr. Dunn at the State Department of Health on 3-27-08. As such, I wish to thank you for the prompt attention you created to the situation.

In our discussions, I was pleased to find that there is an Entomological study currently underway. It is my understanding that they have been collecting ticks over the past six months.

that grants have been applied for and the testing method is PCR. The estimated results of the studies will be this summer.

As pleased as I am in this, I am also discouraged for several reasons.

the results will be Published to the Wildlife Services

the results will not be made to the Public Health Departments

they are not testing for STARI at all

It appears that the studies are an attempt to track the migratory effects noted in this article below:

Lyme disease in Tennessee

By Evan Hill

published: April 12 2007 11:54 AM updated:: April 12 2007 07:24 PM

The Center for Wildlife Health welcomes Jean Tsao and Sarah Hamer to discuss the emerging problem Lyme disease can present for wildlife.

A seminar will be held Friday, April 13 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in Room 166 of the Agricultural Engineering Building on the University of

Tennessee campus in which Tsao and Hamer will relate how wildlife species have contributed to the spread of Lyme disease.

The increase in Lyme disease is attributed to invasion of the black-legged tick into parts of southern Michigan. The ticks are carried there

by wild birds and mammals and have begun to make the area a permanent home.

Recently, black-legged ticks also have been found on deer in Tennessee, but the population has not yet reached the level that exists in Michigan.

The black-legged ticks is the animal most likely to transfer the disease to humans.

At Friday's seminar, Tsao and Hamer will examine how wildlife surveillance can provide early warnings that will aid in disease control and discuss possible solutions to the problem, such as vaccines.

Editor: Sarah Nutt

While I commend this effort, the last line is clearly a marker of real concern: ``provide early warnings that will aid in disease control and discuss possible solutions to the problem,

such as vaccines.'' If the information is not taken directly to the Public Health Departments, how will this effort ``provide early warnings that will aid in disease control''?

It is my understanding through discussion with Dr. Dunn that Lyme Disease is a Human Illness Surveillance process. Simply stated, an individual has to be diagnosed with Lyme Disease

and then it is reported to the Health Department. In turn, it is reported to the CDC and the numbers are tallied and reported

nationally. Unlike other diseases, such as West Nile, this is a Public Health Surveillance process. The difference being that mosquitoes are collected and tested, in the same manner

that the current tick study is under way, but positive results are immediately passed on the Public Health Departments in areas in order to ``provide early warnings that will aid in disease control''.

Because of Public Health Surveillance processes with diseases such as West Nile, there is awareness both publicly and within the medical profession. Therefore, the medical profession

considers West Nile during routine visits with patients. Awareness being the key factor. In the testing underway today, I directly asked Dr. Dunn several times and in several different ways - if the results begin showing high levels

of infection rate in a particular county or area would this information be passed immediately to the Public Health Department in those areas so

they may, in turn, pass the information to the medical community and local media to protect the public. He continued to repeat the same answer; it will be posted, at the end of the study, in a

peer-reviewed publication. In other words, NO - because Lyme Disease is NOT a Public Health Surveillance process.

Another major point of interest is that fact that STARI is not in a reportable category with the Public Health Department at all. Dr. Dunn

stated, as I already believed myself, that STARI is a strain of Borrelia. Yes, there are considered to be over 100 strains of this

bacterium worldwide. So my questions are why is STARI not reportable? Additionally, why is it not included in the current studies?

What a twisted circle we seem to have here! I actually reminds of T-CAP testing in our education setting. If we ``lower the bar'', we

look much better! If STARI is not reportable then don't we look much better in Tennessee since it seems to be the more dominant strain in our region?

Additionally, how is the medical professionals suppose to consider Lyme or other strains of Borrelia in a clinical setting if the

information they continue to receive is that of minimal to no risk factors based on the current, and obviously flawed, reporting practices. It is like the cart before the horse. If we have

to have Human Illness break out reported for the risk factors to be known but the medical community swears that the risk factors are slim to none then they are not even looking for it.

We have to remember that most often Lyme Disease and the various strains of the bacteria, present in very confusing ways, even to the patient. On top of this fact, you have only 15-20 minutes in

with a medical doctor for a diagnosis. And yes, as all humans do, they tend to go with the most obvious diagnosis. With the lack of reality present for the possibility of this bacteria

being a culprit, it is not a diagnostic consideration.

I was rather appalled at the reality that even if a major spike is noted in a particular area that it would not be reported to the Public

Health Department in that area. We are in the top of the tick season right now. Which means that many individuals could be in contact,

potential infection could be occurring right now, today, and they have no idea of the real concerns or effects this could have on them or their children for many years to come. Why in

the world would the State Public Health Department withhold information upon receipt of it? Just because it is classified a certain way?

How can this Surveillance process be changed? How can the current study include STARI in the testing? How can STARI be added as a reportable

infection? For these seem to be the key factors missing in this situation.

In closing, I am continuing to educate others and myself in this area. I will keep up with the studies and hope to receive the results upon

publication as well. I do urge you to consider the above and take steps to demand public awareness if the results show the need for if

the risk is not announced there will not be consideration in clinical settings.

I will continue to update you as new information is found. I look forward to hearing from you in

return with any suggestions on making these changes. Again, I am here to help and bring about change to protect our community and public in this great state of Tennessee.

Respectfully,

(also copied him today on the announcement of Blumenthal investigation and statements of foudings made!!!)

PROGRESS GUYS HUGE PROGRESS!!!!!!!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go! Keep hammering away! The times, they are a-changin'!
But not on their own. It happens through tenacious efforts like yours!

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement