LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » 6.23.08 letter from Iowa's SEN. Chuck GRASSLEY... S 1708 lyme bill!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 6.23.08 letter from Iowa's SEN. Chuck GRASSLEY... S 1708 lyme bill!
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
today, i received a 1 page plus letter from grassley about the above.

a storm is brewing overhead but no lightning at this moment.

i'll type the highlites ONLY....

this year, congress approved aspedning bill that included $29.2 billion for BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH at the 27 intitutes and centers that comprise the NIH.

this included $1.57 billion for the NIH NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS AND STROKE, which OVERSEES LYME DISEASE RESEARCH.

you can find out more about their research and clinical trials at www.ninds.mih.gov

funding the NIH will accelerate the pace of reserach and improve our ability to find better ways to care for those whose lives are touched by various dieases and disorders.

congress has taken a big leap by continuing large increases in research funding after doubling the budget of the NIH between 98 and 03.

as a result, the nih funds nearly 10,00 more research grants and supports the training of over 1,500 more scientists each year.

this endeavor has already spawned efforts to advance the clinical developments of treatments for a broad range of conditions. research can also offer promising therapies as well as a means to reduce costs to the system.

but much remains to be done. serious and persistent perils still plague society.

investing in nih is the single most important action our nation can take to oversome the challenges of many diseases and disorders, INCLUDING LYME DISEASE.

thanks for contacting me; keep in touch.

sincerely,

CHUCK E. GRASSLEY, US SENATOR

fyi, last night when i logged off here, i put c-span2 on, and IOWA'S SEN. TOM HARKIN had meeting with NIH. 5 DIRECTORS including infectious disease director.

so i sat thru it thinking LYME DISEASE would be brought up since harkin hears from me, AN IOWAN REPRESENTED BY HIM, ALL THE TIME....

NOPE! nothing mentioned about lyme disease and all the additional $$ it's getting.

will be ilghting soon. signing offf!

[ 23. July 2008, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryL
Member # 11997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a form letter, Betty. It is eerily similar to the one he used to reply to me. He is solidly behind the NIH.
Posts: 81 | From Iowa | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mary,

i thought so too so i have a file on my congress lyme bill feedback i get, so i compared the last one against this one; similar but many changes since last fall's letter..... [Wink]

lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Good Betty,

But does this mean then that our efforts to

petition congress and the house with the other two bills are superfluous???

It sounds like the Iowa Senator is trying to appease you by informing you of the

contributions made to the NIH...who are notoriously in the BUM STEERE ARENA and the IDSA!

UNLES I'M Mistaken??

Don't get me wrong...any monies are good for research...

However...are we SURE, the NIH will use ANY of these billions, for LYME RESEARCH???

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tony,

no one is assured anything; $$ appropriated do NOT always get where they were assigned ...

robbing peter to pay paul theory...

wish i could say YES, but i can't ... appeasing me ... YES!

i posted elsewhere ... but i listened for 2.5 hrs. 1 night in past week when IOWA'S SEN. TOM HARKIN, chair, had meeting with NIH DIRECTOR AND 5 OTHER DIRECTORS....

he said they increased nih budget $20-25 BILLION MORE!

i thought lyme research was in INFECTIOUS DISEASE category too, but learned above from grassley lyme research is in

neurological and stroke area!!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement