LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » IDSA panel members - the fix was in

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IDSA panel members - the fix was in
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol J. Baker, MD,
Chair Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX

William A. Charini, MD
Peabody, MA

Paul H. Duray, MD (retired)
Westwood, MA

Paul M. Lantos, MD
Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC

Gerald Medoff, MD
Washington University School of Medicine
St. Louis, MO

Manuel H. Moro, DVM, MPH, PhD
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD

David M. Mushatt, MD, MPH & TM
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA

Jeffrey Parsonnet, MD
Dartmouth‐Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon, NH

Cmdr. John W. Sanders, MD
U.S. Naval Medical Research Center Detachment, Peru

http://www.idsociety.org/Content.aspx?id=13310

-------------------------------------------------

Of these the following are from an infectious diseases affiliation, and one is a past president of the IDSA:

Medoff
Lantos
Mushatt
Parsonnet
Baker
Sanders
Charini

Now does anyone think that we will have 75% of this group agreeing to make changes in the IDSA guidelines after they have reviewed the medical literature?

Furthermore, some of these are known to be proponents of the IDSA guidelines, have been quoted in newspaper articles, interviewed on radio programs. At least one is known to be violently anti-chronic lyme and has a complaint filed against him by a lyme patient. Another is known as a prime reason for many undiagnosed lyme cases in that region of the country.

Here is a radio interview with Dr. Parsonnet:

http://www.vpr.net/episode/43725

Here is a news article quoting Dr. Parsonnet on lyme disease:

see tabers post on this thread: http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/76820/2?#000079

If there could be a more biased panel selected, I am having trouble imagining it. The "ethicist" at the outset said his role would be limited, and he was not kidding. The role of ethics in this panel selection is almost nonexistent. He eliminated all the lyme docs on the grounds of financial conflicts of interest, leaving panelists who are stooges of the IDSA and who do not treat lyme disease.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uuhgggghhhh! [shake]

Thats all I can say.

I hope our voices will soon be heard by the right people. Until then, we can't stop talking, sending letters, signing petitions, and sharing our struggles so that other's won't have to endure the same.

Unfortunately lyme will probably hit home to some of these IDSA's at some point. Maybe then they'll have a change in heart.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlights, paraphrased, from the Parsonnet(represented with an * here) radio interview:

* a single dose of doxy is highly effective, if given within a couple days of the tick bite.

My question: has a single dose of doxy EVER stopped Lyme disease in anyone? Never heard that it has.

* have to look at the whole symptoms picture. A lot of the time, we don't think people have Lyme, and we don't have any other explanation.

My comment: sounds like a cop-out to say they "don't think" someone has Lyme. What's the good of that? Thinking is not a test. "Thinking" cannot rule out a disease!

* it will be clear in the majority of people that they have Lyme.

No, it is not a majority. Probably a minority who have really clear symptoms and clear positive test results to back up their symptoms.

* it's dangerous to find someone who will treat you for something you don't have.

Well, the opposite argument is that it's dangerous not to treat for an infection you may have.

* the side effects of antibiotics include resistant bacteria.

What's the scientific evidence on this? Has this happened in Lyme patients?

My opinion about this issue: it's also possible to treat Lyme with herbs and other nonantibiotic treatments.

* 25% of those on long-term abx develop side effects and have to stop.

Lyme patient's response on the program: she went from invalid to functional being treated with antibiotics - ie, she'd take the chance to get better

* see your family doctor first, who knows you the best.

My comment: all of my several family practitioners here never recognized the symptoms of Lyme disease in me. Then they send you to an infectious disease doctor for evaluation, all of whom tried to undiagnose my positive test results!

* it's a curable infection, with a finite course of antibiotics, and not multiple courses. Maybe a month of IV, some weeks of orals at most.

MY SUMMARY: Dr Parsonnet is clearly biased towards the IDSA point of view.

How can we have a panel pre-judiced towards the IDSA viewpoint on Lyme disease looking at the IDSA guidelines? What's the point?

[ 02-10-2009, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
news bulletin just posted here by tincup...

READ THIS PLEASE!! ACTION NEEDED BY US!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/8/1539

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can we make them have to prove that a short course cures Lyme???

Has any body of ppl ever pressured the IDSA to prove their point regarding this???? Where is their proof????

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement