LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Not happy with the IDSA panel? Here is what you can do!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not happy with the IDSA panel? Here is what you can do!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your patience while the options were being reviewed and worked out.

Here are some tips and suggestions for addressing the recently created IDSA panel that will be reviewing the guidelines.

Lyme panel: Selection and exclusion bias

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/46.html

Protesting the panel: Putting pen to paper

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/47.html

More news will be forthcoming about additional actions that can be taken from what I understand.

But for now this is, in my opinion, a good way to proceed.

[Big Grin]

Let's GO, GO, GO!!!

And remember to be NICE, NICE, NICE!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, an online petition has been in the works and will be ready to share in the near future.

Also... the CT bill hearing video has been cut down from 5 or more hours.. whew... to contain only Lyme issues.

That way all of us can see and hear the legislators and others speaking.

It was just sent my way, so I am reviewing it now and it will hopefully be ready for prime time players soon!

So don't listen to that whole web site just to hear the Lyme stuff.. it is being made user-friendly for you now by a volunteer.

Unless you want to know all about CT politics- Ugggggg!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for update tc!

i just went to both links shown, broke them up and sent them both to those on my LYME LIST GROUP.

i hope others reading this will send to all their lyme friends also and POST ON OTHER BOARDS!!

I JUST POSTED ON WWW.MDJUNCTION.COM. THANKS.

BETTYG, IOWA activist

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BG..

You must have a hefty pair of wings on you. You're EVERYWHERE and doing SO much!!!

Thank you!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, this is a relief to have some marching orders. I will withdraw my petition idea in favor of whatever is coming down the pike in that direction.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know whether it is felt that people in other countries (who have a stake in the guidelines too), can write letters? Frequently the CDC and IDSA path is followed by health agencies in other countries. So, patients elsewhere are hurt or helped depending on what course this panel review takes. OK to post on other forums for people outside the U.S.?
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

lou, outstanding question!!

tincup, when i saw the most NEWS FLASH, i knew trhis needed to go on almost every CURRENT ACTIVISM POST because you covered many things, and i didn't want things "slipping thru the cracks" causing us MORE WORK that would NOT be needed!

yes, at times, i can be everywhere, and thank you God for the COPY/PASTE FEATURE !!! a real timesaver! [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

Jessibell777
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessibell777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so reading that link BettyG, I should write a letter to the the IDSA. I'll do that right now.

Tincup, I'll email you and you can tell me what to do further.

Thanks, Jessica

Posts: 43 | From Austin, TX | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

jessi/others,

here is the direct link of my post on mdjunction site:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support-forums/general-support/361397-210lyme-panel-selectionexclusionwriting-board#363520

again, this breaks up lorraine johnson's 2 posts for us neuro folks!

please join us for OUR LYME CAUSE!! thanks all! [Smile] [group hug]

richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a sample letter, I could copy and send!?!?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a medical ethicist who might (or might not?) be "neutral" and therefore helpful to our cause. It's hard to tell from what he wrote in the first article below about Blumenthal and the IDSA, but if you look at an earlier article of his (second link, below), then it looks as if he might actually be someone who could be helpful to us.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=18612447

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=18427644

Maybe someone would like to contact him to see what he thinks about the exclusionary criteria of the new IDSA panel. Maybe he could be persuaded to write a letter to the IDSA with a copy to Blumenthal in behalf of ILADS docs who are automatically excluded from the IDSA's new review panel because they earn >$10K per year from treating Lyme patients.

PS - I'm editing to add his postal address, copied from his second article (link above), in case anyone cares to try to enlist his help in questioning the unfair exclusionary criteria of the new IDSA panelists.
Herbert L. Fred, MD, MACP, 8181 Fannin St., Suite 316, Houston, TX 77054

[ 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: TX Lyme Mom ]

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tincup...

I am putting the pen to the paper as we speak. It's nice to know what to do and I appreciate all the help.

I think it's nice that you and others are trying to organize this for us all.

Elizabeth [kiss]

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tx Lyme Mom,
Those were excellent articles...I just finished the
second one, and am not sure if I should cry/then throw up, or throw up/then cry.
North.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Interesting that one TX ethicist could produce such poor results in his role with the IDSA panel selection, but another one sees what the real issues are. We got the wrong ethicist?
bettyg
Unregistered

quoting texaslyme...just separating name/address so it stands out more ... thx tex! [Smile] xox

PS - I'm editing to add his postal address, copied from his second article (link above), in case anyone cares to try to enlist his help in questioning the unfair exclusionary criteria of the new IDSA panelists.

Herbert L. Fred, MD, MACP,
8181 Fannin St., Suite 316,
Houston, TX 77054

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: During the public comment period, can we reasonably count on ILADS docs to be submitting all the relevant scientific data and studies that support our position? I know I will be sending the IDSA panel a letter, hopefully with some scientific references I have gleaned from Pam's book, etc. But will ILADS
be bombarding them with evidence, incl peer-reviewed studies? Will they personally appear before the panel at public hearing to present our arguments? Getting a little nervous here....

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

great question! perhaps tincup knows.

paul, copy your question and go to ILADS site, and send it as a question to them directly! [Smile]

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I emailed the question to ILADS. Waiting for a response.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

up
Tincup
Member # 5829

"Question: During the public comment period, can we reasonably count on ILADS docs to be submitting all the relevant scientific data and studies that support our position?"

Absolutely.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lou
Member # 81

up

Writing those letters?

bettyg
Unregistered

yes, that's my tomorrow assignment!

got my taxes finished up and to accountant... [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

using amanda's post in medical, i got my tomorrow assignment just done and sent! [Smile]

sent to IDSA AND CONN. ATTORNEY GENERAL ...

Jennifer and Richard,

I'm writing to each of you to advise you of my personal feelings on the new committee of 14 to review 06 IDSA LYME GUIDELINES for "conflicts of interest".

Treating physicians, who were entirely excluded from the panel, should be included on the panel.

Someone added $10,000 as maximum to be earned TREATING lyme; this was NOT on original agreement! It was done by IDSA to eliminate our chronic LLMDS, lyme literate mds!

These physicians understand what works and doesn't work in the field. They may also be required to comply with guidelines that they had no voice in developing.

By excluding treating physicians, the panel is also assuring that patient concerns will not be represented.

7 out of remaining 9 panelists are IDSA members. This is not a balanced panel.

Dr. Arthur Weinstein, who has written Lyme disease guidelines in the past and who is known to have a bias against patients, should never have been selected for the panel.

Dr. Carol Baker, who was a past IDSA president and who developed the guidelines in the Redbook, should not be on the panel.

Physicians with known biases against treating patients with Lyme disease should not be on the panel.

I feel our chronic LLMDS should be in EQUAL REPRESENTATION among the new panel of 14; this has NOT occurred, and I'm very upset.

I've had chronic lyme for 39 years; 34.5 yrs. MISDIAGNOSED by 40-50 drs!

Thank you for your consideration of my comments!

Mrs. Betty G

lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just sent my letter. It sure is hard to write these days.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I was wondering can someone clarify for me, my Lyme brain isn't working.

Are we to write letters to IDSA directly telling them what we want?

Am I confused, I didn't think they cared what we thought or wanted?

Shouldn't we be going over their heads? Who is in charge of them? The government? Can someone clarify for me?

This has been confusing me for awhile...sorry and thanks for any help in clearing it up for me.

Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement