LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month- Start Thinking!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month- Start Thinking!!!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a reminder...

May is LD Awareness Month.

It often takes several months to prepare.. and to do get things ready.

If you have plans... let us know.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tc, some folks have been planning some BIG things, and they are shown somewhere on last 3 screens!! busy hands making plans [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

Im ready, what do you command me to do ?

[Smile]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric.. you make me laugh! That's so nice!

Ok sir.... since your shirt sleeves are rolled up and you are ready to go...

If you so choose, this is what can be done.

Contact your Governor.

And all the county commissioners where you live (or whatever they are called in PA- some states are different and have Councils, Townships, etc.)

And ask if they will officially make a proclamation to declare May 2009 to be Lyme Disease Awareness Month.

Here is a basic letter to start with as a sample. They usually always want the request in writing, so might as well start there. Depending on your state and your mood at the time, I would toss in a few important local facts if you want.

PA for example, has the highest rate of Lyme in the country. It doesn't have to be real detailed.. but your letter must always be POLITE.

So add a short blurb if you want or send as is. I would also give them one or two websites to check for more information. I usually give them ILADS and LDA (Maryland doesn't have a site) so they don't wander off track... but you may want to use the SE PA site or another one locally that you choose that is easy to read and accurate.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Dear Governor/or Commissioner XXX,

I request that you please consider declaring May 2009 as Lyme Disease Awareness Month.

Lyme disease is on the rise and Pennsylvania had the highest number of reported cases in the country last year.

Lyme disease is a common, but frequently misunderstood illness that, if not caught early and treated properly, can cause serious health problems.

Early symptoms of Lyme disease can include fever, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue and rash. The disease often goes undetected or is misdiagnosed because it mimics a multitude of other illnesses.

Untreated or under treated Lyme disease can lead to severe heart, neurological, muscle, eye, and joint problems as the bacteria disseminates and invades the bodies organs and organ systems.

Lyme Disease Awareness Month provides an opportunity to focus on this complex infectious disease and is designed to increase public awareness with the hopes of preventing future cases.

Residents and health care professionals alike will appreciate your efforts to educate and bring awareness to this growing epidemic that is affecting our XXX (state or county).

Thank you for considering my request. Please feel free to contact me if you need any information about Lyme and tick borne diseases.

Sincerely,

Your name
Your address
Your phone number
Your email address

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

I know it seems early since May is a bit away.. but they often need to have a meeting to discuss this.. vote on it.. make a draft... and then put together the usually BEAUTIFUL proclamation itself.

They may even ask that you come meet with them and officially "accept it". Press and all.

I didn't know that years ago... and was out of state... so be prepared to have someone ready to go if you can't or don't want to yourself.

You can find the contact info for your local Commissioners on the web or in the phone book. The Governor's also.

Let me know how it goes.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

And then... try to get others in your state to write THEIR county officials.

Wouldn't it be nice to have EVERYONE together on this?

ALL counties in one state making the proclamation?

WOW! A dream come true.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup:

We are trying to do a walk at our state

fairgrounds, but obviously need sponsors which

I think we can get. We are planning on having

anybody come, there would be a minimal fee,

that will be used as a donation to a Lyme

Disease foundation. The main thing is getting

the sponsors and getting the word out there.

The State Fairgrounds is HUGE!!! easily fits

hundreds of people there. Any suggestions on

where to start? Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I would drop in here and say that a group of us Lyme patients have a tenative appointment set up with Gov. Lynch (Gov of New Hampshire) for April 24th.

We did this last May as well and had 15 or 16 Lyme patients. He signed something saying that May is Lyme Disease Awareness month in New Hampshire and spent about 20 minutes asking us pictures and then photo of us with the Gov that went in various newspapers.

We plan to have more Lyme patients with us this time and hoping to get more publicity this year too.

Great topic, TC.

If anyone from New Hampshire would like to join our crusade, drop me a PM and I'll get you details.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some ideas.

CHeck the CALDA website for proclamations (I think it's under Activism) - you can borrow the language, add local info. Send or take in to your city mayor, city council, county board of supervisors, even your state reps and see if you can get them to Proclaim it. You can go to the mtg and they will hand you a gold-plated framed copy (maybe) you can put on the wall - of the library or somewhere people will see it.

A few people are calling VET offices and getting their emails. When I have a list I will send them an email calling their attention to the display on the CALDA website and asking them to print it out and display it during May. I am working on some animal ones to add to the collection.

If there is a fair, do a table.

If you are doing a walk, talk to people who have already done walks. Turn the Corner has a package that's good for beginners (but then they take the money, too).

Write an article for LD Awareness Month and call all the local papers, get to know the editors. They are usually happy to help out. There is help to do this on the CALDA website also. Check under Activism.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
There are some things that I have in the works for May that I wanted to pass along.

I work with a girl part time with special needs at the local high school.

I have asked the school and they are going to talk to the health teacher about showing "Under our skin" to each of the health classes.

I figure there could be some of future doctors in there so let's get to them first...lol

I have also written to the University Of NH about a screening but have not heard back as of yet.

Also, the girl I work with volunteer's at a local hospital and I noticed that on the outside marquee they posted " March is Multiple Sclerosis awareness month" and they have information throughout the hospital.

I am going to ask if they will do this in May for Lyme disease. Not sure if they will but worth a shot.

I also have mentioned before that I take info to local schools and talk to the school nurses every may. They are very receptive and I have been asked to speak to classes.

I have talked to turn the corner about several things, (U2 press release, screening at Universities, getting a walk going here in NH.) With being so sick not sure if I would be up for a walk and with it with such a short time to plan for May. So probably that will be a goal for next May!

Going to call all local radio stations in May like I do every Year to have them make an annoucement that May is Lyme disease awareness month. There are very receptive to it.

And lastly I contracted Lyme disease while showing property as a Realtor, which I still do part time. So I will be writing and telling my story to the National Association of Realtors as well as the local boards in my state to have them spread the word to other Realtors.

That's it for now besides lots of letter writing. Keep the ideas coming guys. It's greatly appreciated!

Take Care,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

ann, OUTSTANDING! you're our ever-ready bunny with long-running batteries!! excellent ideas, etc. thanks for doing what you do! [Smile]
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent this to every Superintendent in the State of NH and will send it again in May to encourage that this be shown in the schools and encourage you do to do this in your state:

Who are Most At Risk for Lyme Disease? Our Children!
LDA Introduces the FREE Educational On-Line Module:

How A Tick CanMake You Sick
Designed for grades 6 through to adult, this 4 section slide show module in Adobe Presenter can be opened on the Internet or printed from the Internet.

It contains pre and post tests and an audible pronunciation guide. A resource section is also included.

The LDA is concerned that a 39% increase in Lyme cases occurred in 2007 and that children are at the highest risk of developing Lyme disease, so we offer this module free and urge its use by schools, scouts, park systems, and the public.

How A Tick Can Make You Sick:
Lyme Disease Prevention Lesson for Children and Adults
� 2008 Lyme Disease Association, Inc.

Features:

Free
Can run from the Internet
Can download and print the presentations
Audio pronunciation guide
Pre- and Post-Tests included
Dear Educator, Camp Counselor, and Others who work with students/children:

One of the goals of the Lyme Disease Association (LDA)--an all-volunteer, national organization--is to increase education about tick-borne diseases. The LDA already has educated millions of people to date, but reported cases of Lyme disease continue to rise at an alarming rate--by 39 percent from 2006 to 2007.

The tool we have provided here, ``How A Tick Can Make You Sick,'' can be used successfully with audiences from middle school students through adults. A few slides are a bit more complex, e.g., slides on co-infections, and those can be glossed over by the presenter for younger students.

The Lyme Disease Association has developed this slide show after almost 20 years working in schools with teachers and with students on Lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

The LDA has asked doctors, a family psychotherapist, a school district special services director (retired), a microbiologist, a teacher, Lyme disease group leaders, and kids to review the presentation.

We have tweaked the content provided here to make it more interesting for students and to be Web friendly.

Online Modules:

Module 1: What is Lyme disease
Module 2: Tick-er Tape Parade: What are ticks and what do they look like?
Module 3: Keeping ticks at bay when you go out to play
Module 4: Testing and treatment for Lyme disease
Pronunciation Guide
Printable Version of Each Module:

Adobe Acrobat PDF Module 1: What is Lyme disease
Adobe Acrobat PDF Module 2: Tick-er Tape Parade: What are ticks and what do they look like?
Adobe Acrobat PDF Module 3: Keeping ticks at bay when you go out to play
Adobe Acrobat PDF Module 4: Testing and treatment for Lyme disease
Knowledge Assessments:

Pre-Test
Post-Test A
Post-Test B
Post-Test C
Answer Key (for all tests in one document)
Resources:

LDA Maps Lyme Across the USA - View Reported Case Numbers with a click!
Individual maps from 1990 through 2006 and total case number map 1990-2006 including state reporting criteria changes. Click on individual states for a pop up case number table and an incidence map. All have printer-friendly versions. Free

AVAILABLE NOW! Time for Lyme Curriculum for Schools
In a cooperative effort between Connecticut-based Time for Lyme, Inc.(TFL) [an LDA affiliate] and Connecticut school administrators, TFL created a tick-borne diseases curriculum with age-appropriate goals, activities, and measurable guidelines--one that includes tick awareness, prevention tips, proper tick removal, and the signs and symptoms of Lyme disease.

This curriculum is designed for use in elementary school (grades K and 3), middle school (grade 6), and high school (grade 9). For purchase.

For New Jersey Educators: State Department of Education adopted curriculum already available
LDA (when it was LDANJ) helped to develop and pass the law which developed a state adopted curriculum for use in NJ schools and requires NJ school districts to annually in-service any staff member who has a student with Lyme disease. P.L. 18A 35-5.1-5.3 (1992)

ABC's Of Lyme Disease LDA pamphlet written for parents and educators
Current research indicates that the Lyme disease bacteria can be transmitted within hours after an infected tick attachment.

Failure of parents and teachers to recognize Lyme disease early in its course can result in a child developing a chronic difficult to treat infection in the brain, eyes, joints, heart and elsewhere in the body. Free (shipping costs for large quantities)

New Book for kids with Lyme Disease - BUY BOOK ONLINE
Lyme Disease Is No Fun: Let's Get Well! written by Mary Wall MS Ed, CCLS, a Columbia graduate student, edited by Colleen M. Smith, a peer-review medical journal production editor and Johns Hopkins grad?each has battled Lyme disease as a child. Author Amy Tan has written the back cover note. Published by Lyme Disease Association, Inc. Purchase for $6.00

The Effects of Lyme Disease on Students, Schools and School Policy
by Patricia V. Smith, President, Lyme Disease Association was published in School Leader, official publication of the New Jersey School Boards Association, Sept/Oct 2004 issue. LDA has permission to post and reprint the article. Free access

New! Excerpts from Best Practices in School Health manual, the section on Lyme disease, module 4.
The excerpted pieces are from interviews with Lyme Disease Association President Pat Smith. "Reprinted with permission from Best Practices in School Health, a publication of Federal News Services, Inc.

For more info, please visit www.fednewsonline.com"
Make Time to Look at Lyme and In-service Ideas for Lyme Disease

Lyme Times
The Lyme Disease Association has permission from The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences to post the following article in its entirety. Free access

Lyme in the Schools
Lyme Disease Association website section devoted to Lyme in the schools.

Last Modified: September 29, 2008

Lyme Disease Association, New Jersey, Copyright 2008 - All Rights Reserved

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Good good!!!

Love the ideas!!!!

A lot of work so please don't wear yourself down too much... ok?

VERY exciting stuff!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Sent this too my daughter's girl scout leader. Was going to ask the town if the girls could tie green ribbons on the tree's down by the river in May.

Dear Isabel,
May is Lyme disease awareness month and with Lyme disease spreading rapidly in NH, I thought it might be a good idea to inform the troop about Lyme disease. There is a presentation called " How a tick can make you sick." Available for free and recommended for troops, educators, ect.

Also, in the Lyme community we are trying to get everyone across the country to tie a Lyme Green ribbon around their tree's, car antenae ect. to raise awareness. I was wondering if the troop might be able to get involved in some way.

Sincerely,
Ann Ehlers

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

bettyg
Unregistered

ann, that is brilliant!! wow, what a list you have put together; never have seen this before!! a KEEPER! thx for all the work you have put into it and DOING NOW! xox
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Betty ty but I can't take credit for that it is from the LDA . I am also sending it to the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts of America and to the troops in NH. I want to encourage others to do the same. I think if they get letter's from more people it will have a bigger impact.

Take Care,
Ann

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC,

I copied off the letter posted above and will send that to state/county/local officials.

I've also thought about getting some lime green ribbon to make those lapel ribbons that people wear.

I want to hand them out at church, at the storres (if that's allowed), wherever I can to get the word out.

Also, our health director at church is very aware of LD, especially since a number of people in our church are suffering so much with it.

She will certainly do something in the bulletin, church newsletter, etc. (we have about 3000 in our church, so LOTS of people would get the word).

Seems like so little to do, but I guess every little bit helps.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH, TINCUP!!! YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!

We were at Walmart yesterday, and I kid you not, I found LIME GREEN FISHNET STOCKINGS!!!!!! [Eek!]

I told my husband I was going to buy some and wear them to church for Lyme Awareness Month!

I even have a lime green dress to go with them!

I think we should all go out and buy some lime green fishnets and wear them in May--hey, if that doesn't get people talking, nothing will.

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Just me again.

I just found an adorable easy pattern for a crocheted teddy bear.

So I got some lime green yarn and I'm making a "Lyme Aware Bear" to go with the support ribbons I'm going to make.

Maybe I can take a couple to a support group meeting if I ever get to one. [Smile]

lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Hi all,
I wanted to get articles printed in the local papers for May. I saw the post on how to do it. Now my question is what to write?? Any ideas or samples that have already been used? I'm not the best writer so I need some help here.

Thanks,
Ann

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

bettyg
Unregistered

ann, go to www.calda.org ?? web site, phyllis mervine has done plenty of this, and i'm sure she might have just what you are looking for ok!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement